PDA

View Full Version : My blanket doesn't look wide enough

pebbles77
08-26-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm knitting a baby blanket that's supposed to be 30"x30" and done on size 7 needles. I only had size 6, so I decided to add one more cable to the pattern and cast on my stitches accordingly (pattern says cast on 120, I cast on 137). But as I'm working on it it doesn't look wide enough. Is this normal while it's still on the needles? It only looks about 2 feet wide right now, although when I stretch the free end it does look wider.

I hope that makes sense!

suzeeq
08-26-2008, 11:08 AM
It may loosen up when you're done and wash or block it. Do another 6 inches or so, and put it on scrap yarn so you can spread it out. Cables tend to draw in the width.

gotta knit
08-26-2008, 12:41 PM
So hard to judge size on the needles, definitely take it off to measure accurately.

I recently looked at baby blanket patterns, finished sizes ranged from 26 to 48 inches on the longer side.

Jan in CA
08-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Cables are kind of like ribbing so they do pull it in. You had the right idea of adding one more. If it ends up too narrow you could do a border, too.

pebbles77
08-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I went ahead and took it off the needles and stretched it gently, and it's actually just the right width. I guess when it's on the needles it can be deceiving!