PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone do to de-stress?

whiskers
08-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Is anyone else feeling really overwhelmed? I’ve been so stressed out lately that I have barely had any time for myself. Over the weekend my girlfriends dragged me out to dinner, and I was so surprised by how much better I felt with just a few hours of ME time. I recommend everyone getting out there and taking a few hours (even a few min!) to do something for yourself.
- Taylor, SF

MMario
08-26-2008, 04:33 PM
I knit to de-stress.

Lucy78green
08-26-2008, 05:10 PM
I read before I go to sleep, the only way to turn my brain off

stitchwitch
08-26-2008, 05:17 PM
I'll say it, I eat! :roflhard:
I do garden, knit, bicycle, clean the house and walk when I'm stressed too so it kind of evens out.
Oh yeah, I sit in the spa every night!

auburnchick
08-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Eat chocolate??? :rofl:

rachael72knitter
08-26-2008, 07:13 PM
pms+chocolate
I read at night
housework in smaller increments
drink a glass of wine
knit!!!
burn my Bath and Body oils (fresh bamboo is my latest favorite flavor)
take a nap
pop a Lexapro every morning (yes, much of my anti-stress is chemical dependancy)

InterNette
08-26-2008, 07:39 PM
knitting and sewing are my me times and I find them both relaxing and a form of meditation. I play chick flicks on my tv in my sewing room and sew away while listening to " Under the Tuscan Sun", " Must love dogs" and the like. It is my alone area, and doing what I love to do.

Knitting_Guy
08-26-2008, 08:19 PM
I knit to de-stress.

Yep, same here.

tokmom
08-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Write in my journal.

knit as much as I can. It really helps.

Garden in the summer. Dirt is relaxing to me.:teehee:

Get some girlfriend ME time. That really helps, but it's also very infrequent.

Hop on my treadmill.

mwhite
08-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Wave Bye Bye to Hubby and Son each January for 2-3 weeks while they go to Costa Rica......It sure is a LOOOOONNNNNG year waiting for this. In the meantime, I knit, garden, be grandmama, massage the cats, sleep or take long, hot baths to de-stress.

Jeremy
08-26-2008, 10:31 PM
I knit of course. I also read and meditate every once in a while. One of my big stress releases is petting and playing with my two dogs George and Grace.

susi
08-26-2008, 10:52 PM
for me theres 2 forms of styress, the normal daily life kind. that if i can i knit, but i have a 5 year old about the place and knitting with him isnt easy. other than that its music, i stick my ipod on and just drink coffee and relax

if its the nsty stress its pop a pill time, tats not often but i get pains and cant breath so kinda have to do it. but thats a last resort as i hate taking pills.

auntcrafty
08-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Pray, knit, read, go for walks, sit at the beach, or call a friend are some of the things I do to destress.

feministmama
08-27-2008, 12:54 AM
Hot baths were always good for me but now my bathtub is the boys bathtub, ew gros. I'd have to scrub for days before I get in there. So now I just knit, sit in the grass and watch the clouds go by or the moon at night.

Debkcs
08-27-2008, 02:55 AM
Enjoy the moon while you can, Femmi, it'll be going away for us pretty soon. Sigh.

I read my Bible, pray, call friends, watch funny movies, talk to DH, play with grandbaby.

daisyjane
08-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Pedicures, its my vain, guilty pleasure esp. in the summer. Knitting too, if I'm really stressed I knit something with a pattern that requires all of my concentration, takes my mind off of things and all I can think about the pattern. If I'm really, really stressed, a chick flick and some wine

kristaj
08-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Knitting, reading, singing, hot baths, and chick flicks. Although the chick flick last night was Becoming Jane and it just stressed me out more. Even though it was a fictionalized tale of Jane Austen's life, it just made me so sad to think about how wonderful she was at writing about finding love, but never found it for herself. So, today I'm in a slump mood. Oh well, I'll just have to use my other stress busters today.

Puddinpop
08-31-2008, 04:11 PM
pop a Lexapro every morning (yes, much of my anti-stress is chemical dependancy)
I do the same and cuddle with my puppy dog.

mks22300
08-31-2008, 06:59 PM
I knit, read, watch movies, go on the computer, and eat chocolate if feeling really stressed.

Shandeh
09-01-2008, 03:57 AM
I go to yarn shops and craft stores, knit, do embroidery, play piano, pray, read the Bible, read novels, write in my journal, listen to soothing music, light candles, drink hot tea or decaf coffee, cuddle with my hubby, play backgammon with my hubby, play computer games, play Nintendo DS, watch movies, or take a long shower.

I also enjoy going to antique stores, consignment shops, and thrift stores. It's fun to browse through all the stuff, and I can sometimes find some good deals on craft supplies!

Occasionally, I will go to a museum as a special treat.

I used to go for long walks to unwind. I would listen to music or an audiobook as I was walking. It was wonderful to be outside and hear the birds singing, and smell the trees and flowers. But, I can't go for long walks anymore because of my stupid knee. :verysad:

But, the one thing I always do EVERY day to unwind is spend time with my friends here in the Knitting Help Forum! cloud9

nephthys8
09-01-2008, 08:24 AM
I knit to de-stress.

Same here. It is the whole reason that I took up knitting recently. I needed a creative outlet again as part of my de-stress routine.

I also bike outside. I may "train" on a stationary in the winter, but I like being outdoors right now and exercise Always helps.

Likewise, if I am going through a particularly bad patch from whatever, I like to do yoga. I have a follow-along DVD for beginners and I just do it at home in front of my TV when my roommate isn't around. I find it to be relaxing if I focus on it very hard and channel everything towards that.

Also: not always to de-stress, but for comfort I like hot English breakfast tea (it is a black blend if I understand correctly) with milk and sugar. I picked this habit up from my lovely housemates when I lived in the UK. I honestly think I had two cups of tea a day for 5 months--far more than I'd had in my whole life prior to that. I feel like "a cup of tea solves everything," literally. I've used it to de-stress, clear up congested sinuses, for a sore throat, and just as something to do/hold. This is definitely a habit I'll have for life, even though I am back to drinking less of it now. :mrgreen:

Things that others have also mentioned: writing in my journal (good place to yell and curse without hurting anyone else's feelings), clean the house, eat (though, in the long run, this is not something I think I ought to do), and taking a longer shower.

auntcrafty
09-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Knitting, reading, singing, hot baths, and chick flicks. Although the chick flick last night was Becoming Jane and it just stressed me out more. Even though it was a fictionalized tale of Jane Austen's life, it just made me so sad to think about how wonderful she was at writing about finding love, but never found it for herself. So, today I'm in a slump mood. Oh well, I'll just have to use my other stress busters today.

That movie made me sad, too.

Movies are another way for me to destress, too. Watch Steel Magnolias when I need to cry, classics & musicals when I just want to tune out, and comedies when I need a laugh. I'm getting ready to pop in 27 Dresses.

JessicaR
09-01-2008, 09:30 PM
I've been trying to learn to "One Stroke" paint but since I'm going for a certification so I can teach it, it doesn't seem to make me relax :-P *sigh*

WolfWalker
09-01-2008, 09:57 PM
This may sound dumb, but I like to mow my yard. I have a riding mower that is really loud, so once I fire it up it's just me and the grass.....it drowns out the rest of the entire world, until I shut it off, which may be in an hour or so, or it might take several, depends on when I last mowed it.

Another thing is I like to play silly, mind-numbing games. One of my current favorites is on MSN games called Chuzzle.....you just match three of the same colored fuzzy creatures and they'll pop. Oh, it's a free game too, all you need is an email addy, and that doesn't even have to be an MSN one. I'm using my gmail account for it. (And to mention my stress level......as of right now I'm got over 10 million points on Chuzzle so far! LOL!) :-P

Debra in NC

Shandeh
09-01-2008, 10:30 PM
I love Chuzzle! I bought it at Walmart for 10 bucks, so I can play anytime and for as long as I want. I like the purchased version, because there are a few extras included with it.

I like the classic Chuzzle best of all. I play it WAY too much.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1239/936973724_0be52d28c1.jpg

And there is a free online game on Yahoo called "Hot Dog Bush". I love to play that too. Mindless entertainment. You're running a hot dog stand. :)
So far, I've gotten a little over 18,000 "dollars" in the game. It's a cute game.

ArtLady1981
09-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Knit...and if that doesn't work the first time 'round, I knit again!

Crycket
09-05-2008, 03:41 AM
I knit, and play World of Warcraft...

and if the stress is caused by one, I switch to the other!

Crycket
09-05-2008, 03:42 AM
I love Chuzzle! I bought it at Walmart for 10 bucks, so I can play anytime and for as long as I want. I like the purchased version, because there are a few extras included with it.

I LOVE CHUZZLE!...that and PEGGLE.....damn addictive!

Shandeh
09-05-2008, 12:25 PM
I need to try Peggle. I've also heard that Pikmin is fun.

Crycket
09-05-2008, 01:10 PM
I have recently discovered Bejeweled...which is probably a bad thing! Neopets is full of those types of games too...If I carry on the way I do, I am not going to have time to knit *winks*

Shandeh
09-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Same here. I LOVE to play computer games. My hubby and I are both big kids. We have so many game systems in our house, it's ridiculous. We have the original NES, Gamecube, Game Gear, Xbox, Playstation, Playstation II, Nintendo DS, Gameboy Advance, PSP, and probably more. It's crazy. :teehee:

The Gamecube, Nintendo DS, and Gameboy Advance are mine. I usually play Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, Cooking Mama, Nintendogs, and The Sims. But, I have other games as well.

Lately though, I've lost several hours playing a silly free online game called Hot Dog Bush. It's a hot dog stand. :)