PDA

View Full Version : Scared of clothing/socks

Moxiemade
08-26-2008, 06:40 PM
So I've been knitting a few months now and so far so good. I remember in the beginning being overwhelmed reading a pattern but then doing just fine when actually knitting it, thanks to advice here and knitting videos.

I know I can't knit dishcloths and afghans forever. I know I need to expand but Im scared! The thought of joining (huh?) and the counting (erm?) and the stitch holding (say wha?) and the picking up stitches (english please!?) makes me all gooey in the knees when I think of it.

How did you move on to clothes? Where'd you start? I was going to start with socks but omg scary help big scary words what the help! Ive had sock yarn for months now. Taunting me. I'm such a scardy-baby. Maybe I should start with a sweater? But sleeves? (omg! tubes!) and neck (how how how!?). *hyperventilates*

:out:

Please tell me knitting clothing and stuff in the round is easier than it looks and sounds.

Tropicflower24
08-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Much! If you can do the knit stitch, you can knit in the round.

sabrinasmom
08-26-2008, 07:14 PM
I knit hats in the round and love it. Don't have to worry about the seam. I made my dog a sweater. Amazing what I learned from doing that and it was a middle size project, not too overwhelming.

Sajomaro
08-26-2008, 07:31 PM
First off who says you have to move on from dishcloths and afghans. There is no rule that says every knitter has to knit a sock or a hat. If you chose to knit only dishcloths and afghans that is fine.

If it is fear that's holding you back that's a different story. My advice is to find a simple hat pattern and try it first. You'll learn how to knit in the round without having to worry about knitting the gusset, turning the heel and picking up stitches on a sock.

Check out Knitting Pattern Central (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/index.php) or Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com).
HTH

InterNette
08-26-2008, 07:37 PM
I know what you mean. I am nervous about tops only because I am still disappointed in my joins and I dont usually think they are neat enough for me. So I have two tops all done to the point of seaming. I do lots of shawls and hats and socks but I really want to do more tops. I did a baby cardigan that I didnt give as a gift because I was so unhappy with the seaming so I know it is a point I need to learn one day.

cdjack
08-26-2008, 07:45 PM
I love knitting top-down raglan sweaters. You can try them on as you go and the best part: little to no seaming! Cosmicpluto Knits has a cute top-down cardigan on her blog. I think that's her name on ravelry too. Stephanie Japel also has some cute top-down sweaters:
http://www.glampyreknits.com

cam90066
08-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Pick an easy baby's sweater. The scale is small....you'll get to do shaping over small areas and have a FO in short order (rather than something that takes perhaps weeks, etc). If no babies for gifting, perhaps it'll fit a teddy bear or you can donate it. You can do one that's top down (little-to-no seaming) and/or bottom up (that may necessitate more making up) and see which you prefer. Either way they'll potentially challenge you.

Knittingonthenet.com has some cute, easy baby sweaters.

cam

cacunn
08-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Carmen as said before if you can knit and purl you can do anything. I started knitting socks so it can't be to hard.

Start by stopping over at the Any Sock KAL 2 (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74646) thread, there is a great group there that will help you every step of the way.

Then read the Silver Sock Class (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/) information on sock knitting.

I would suggest starting with one toe up sock on two circular needles (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2circsocks_start.htm) but read ask questions and knit.

Just think the worst that can happen is that you have to FROG a couple of times. :guyknitting::frog::waah:

Mulderknitter
08-26-2008, 09:26 PM
First off who says you have to move on from dishcloths and afghans. There is no rule that says every knitter has to knit a sock or a hat. If you chose to knit only dishcloths and afghans that is fine.

If it is fear that's holding you back that's a different story. My advice is to find a simple hat pattern and try it first. You'll learn how to knit in the round without having to worry about knitting the gusset, turning the heel and picking up stitches on a sock.

Check out Knitting Pattern Central (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/index.php) or Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com).
HTH
I agree, if you want to make square or long things for the rest of your knitting life, good for you. No one in the knitting world will pull you aside and take your needles from you if you don't make a sweater. :roflhard:
That said. I knew from the moment i made a bookmark that I wanted to make socks. 3 years later I'm only on my 3rd pair. Take your time, do what you think you can, and step out of your knitting box when you want to. I took each pattern a step at a time, learning one new thing at a time. psso? what the heck is that? but after a few patterns and learning new steps, it gets easier.
a sweater, well, i've made 3. the first was the ginourmous sweater of cables and unending doom. the next 2 not so bad. That's why its a "learning process". Rome wasn't built in a day.

saracidaltendencies
08-26-2008, 09:56 PM
I was really nervous, for the longest time, about doing anything more involved than scarves and hats. I made I don't even want to think of how many scarves and plenty of hats. I kept doing that until one day I just got so incredibly bored with it I wanted to try my hand at something else.

The great thing about knitting is you can do it at your own pace, and, no one is judging you. So, the very first piece of clothing I worked on was a tank top for my daughter. It ended up being way too big, but, I did it and despite its size, it turned out pretty nice. That right there gave me the confidence to tackle bigger projects.

Not so long ago I made my very first pair of socks on DPNs and they turned out great! You just have to move at your own pace and you'll know when you're ready to move on. If you've really got an itch to move on, maybe try getting some inexpensive yarn and start out making baby clothes since they aren't as large as adult sized clothes.

Go at your own speed and one day you'll be ready and confident enough to move on.

Jeremy
08-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Do your first pair of socks using worsted weight wool. Use Silver's sock tutorial and as everyone says, be patient with yourself. Don't be too critical of anything you knit for the first time. Good luck.

susi
08-26-2008, 11:01 PM
thers no reason you have to move on if you dont want to. an afghan scares me as there so darned big. i am making myself make one now as i want to use up stash on it.

but i must confess i wouldnt try socks as a step up project, i would do a hat or scarf, something like that.

you dont have to knit a hat in the round, you can just sew it up at the end. its easy and there are loads of us here to help you every step of the way (we all started where you are in one shape or another).

its not as scary as you think the patterns, you just need to break them down and get the language de coded for you (i used to think its another language, as im thinking crochetting is right now as im learning :teehee: ).
good luck :thumbsup:

tokmom
08-27-2008, 12:45 AM
I'm scared of clothing, but am gearing up to attempt a cardigan for my 6 yr old.

Take your time with socks. I taught myself with Silvers. It's so easy and has pictures. You can do it! :happydance:

I taught myself knitting in the round with just plain yarn. I didn't make anything, just knitted to learn. No pressure and I frogged it when done.:wink:

suzeeq
08-27-2008, 12:55 AM
It's only string and sticks. If you make something and it doesn't turn out quite right, it's either a design feature or you can rip it out and do it again. Rather than `make' something, practice increases and decreases and knitting in the round, and take some of the squares and sew them together. You can also knit a hat flat - do some ribbing, then stockinette for about 8 inches and do some evenly spaced decreases; then when you have about 12 or so sts on the needles, run your yarn through those sts like a drawstring and use it to sew up the edges. Now you've got a hat. See how easy that was - it's practically a square with some rows of decreases in it.

stevieland
08-27-2008, 01:35 AM
I spent two years knitting simple scarves and did a shawl because I was afraid to do anything else. Then I decided to try knitting and felting bags as I have always been a handbag junkie. I tried the Booga Bag by Black Sheep Bags (free pattern just google) and learned how to knit in the round and pick up stitches and do i-cord and felt. It was intimidating, but thank goodness for all the help you can get here or on the net in general, what with videos and detailed instructions. And it turned out it wasn't so hard after all. And then I did some bags with shaping and markers and they turned out great and I was on top of the world. Maybe try some bags because they sure are fun and you'll learn a lot.

And then I tried socks. Specifically from Silver's Sock class referenced previously. It was hard. It was frustrating. But I did it!! I have a beautiful sock. I can hardly believe it. I just showed it to my mom earlier tonight for the first time and she couldn't believe it. You can do it and you'll feel great.

It is embarrassing to admit that there are few things I've experienced in life compared to the joy of knitting that sock.

WandaT
08-27-2008, 06:53 AM
You know, for a long time I learned something new every time I did a different pattern. Before long, all those terms didn't scare me. I knew what placing stitches on holder, pick up stitches, felting, etc. (can't think of aything else right now) meant ... and I knew I could do them! You'll get a wonderful sense of satisfaction completing a project with a new challenge ... go for it! What's the worst that could happen? You frog it and start again? That's what learning new techniques is all about. Practice.

tarrentella
08-27-2008, 07:35 AM
I'm scared of afgahns. Seriously they are so big and flat they are surely designed to beat me. I have never made one. I have never made a dishcloth either.

On the other hand i was scared of making anything with seams or that was wearble, because a) they involved doing lots of things and b) they used a lot of yarn and i was scared of spending that much money on yarn for it not to work.

knitting in the round never scraed me as i thought it lokked cool and having everything joined up was easier for m as i didnt have to worry about dropping it as much!

But 2008 was the year of the fearless knitter. I made socks out of sock yarn and with a pattern stitch (hoorah!), i made a seam free wearable top for myself (it is too big, but it turned out my mum liked it!) and i have just conquered me seeaming fear with a baby cardigan, which involved shaping and seaming.

By taking it small bits at a time i am getting there. The standard advice is often to read through the whole pattern before beggining. When i was doing that it would seem over whelming and scary so i would never try anything. Now i tend to look only at the first section and if i think i can do that (cast on x stitches: check, knit in ribbing for an inch: check, increase 2 stitches at the end of a row, check) then i plow on and do it and by that point im too involved if somthing comes up i am not sure about.

The other thing i realised is if a pattern calls for a stitch i have never done before (say a particular type of increase) there is a) normally directions somewhere in the pattern on how to do it, or on here at least b) It is only somting you havn't done before on the first time you o it. On the 6 billionth repeat it is somthing you have done 6 billion times and is as easy as a knit or purl.

PS. check out the Fearless Knitting icon in my sig.

tarrentella
08-27-2008, 07:38 AM
It is embarrassing to admit that there are few things I've experienced in life compared to the joy of knitting that sock.

aren't heels exciting? I have now knit several pairs and i still love of heels magically appear!!

Sunshine's Mom
08-27-2008, 09:25 AM
I have made a sweater for myself and although it came out okay and taught me some new skills, I find sweater making to be expensive. Socks, on the other hand, I love. Everyone appreciates them and they're pretty quick once you get the hang of it. I'm more awkward with straight needles now than I am with dpns! I'm not too sure of socks on circs though...

Amy's video for working the heel of a sock is wonderful to watch and really helps for newbies (I think). I couldn't understand the concept by just reading the pattern, but watching it was a different story.

In any event, take a page from the Nike handbook - "Just Do It". What's the worst that could happen? You frog something and start over or make something else. Who's gonna care? It's a hobby.

knitasha
08-27-2008, 10:00 AM
One step at a time.
One skill at a time.
No need to feel overwhelmed.
Nobody on earth knows everything about knitting.
You learn in little, manageable baby steps, over time.

A sweater is nothing but four rectangles -- front, back and 2 sleeves. You can make one with the skills you have, plus sewing-up, and simple increases/decreases.

If you choose to knit in the round, it's three tubes -- body and two sleeves. You'll need to learn how to join your stitches into a cylinder (easy) and simple shaping (increases and decreases).

Practice new skills with the help of the videos on this site; no big scary words, and you can play them over and over until you get it.

The most important new skills to learn: increasing, decreasing, picking up stitches, sewing up. Learn them one at a time. Give yourself time to get confident about them.

A bag is a good project to practice on. Choose one that's just rectangles.

Two good books for moving ahead:
The Knitting Experience:The Knit Stitch, by Sally Melville. Easy steps, nice projects, hand-holding explanations, great illustrations.
Woolly Thoughts by Pat Ashforth and Steve Plummer. How to knit any sweater you want using just garter stitch squares.

If something doesn't work, rip it out and start over. Even the most experienced knitters mess up (bigtime). Knit for the fun of it, not for perfection.

Lisa R.
08-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Joining in with those who ask, "What's the worst that could happen?"

Say you try a sock or a hat (hats are easier to start with), and it is an absolute disaster and doesn't work out? They don't jail you for that sort of thing! You just rip it out and use the yarn for another try. No mistake is permanent in knitting.

Also, bear in mind that everyone starts somewhere. For my first hat, I was trying to choose between two patterns, and ended up using the needles for one, and the pattern for the other. I ended up with what is affectionately known as Gargantua Hat.:rofl: It now sits on my dd's bigger-than-life teddy bear, as it's large enough for any of the two of us to wear together!

So...disastrous in terms of wearability---but I LEARNED the mechanics of making a hat---and learned to double check pattern details before starting! And most important, learned that life doesn't end when knitting goes wrong.

BTW, I also agree with starting with some smaller projects that allow you to practice a technique. It's less intimidating that way. But I've heard of folks starting with a full-sized sweater and being very pleased! I, myself, just finally finished my first baby kimono--my first foray into something more complicated than hats and socks.

Enjoy it, and go for what you want to do next. You can do it.

Arielluria
08-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Oh it's SOOOOOOOOOO easy you will laugh when you finally dive in and realize it!!!!!!!!!!! The videos here on KH are what helped ME be fearless.

I started knitting again because my doggies needed sweaters a couple of winters ago when I shaved them a tad early for spring. I went to Walmart to get some sweaters and saw what awful quality they were and in true DIY-Diva fashion I told myself "I can do better than that!!!!!!!!!!!!" So I bought a book and made a couple. They were flat knitted and seamed up, the easiest pattern the book "Posh Pooches" had. (Here's a KH thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52946) with pics if you are into cute puppies in sweaters ;))

Then I was watching the videos here and saw how EASY it was to do something in 2 colors, so I decided to make the same easy sweater with a snowflake on the back of it for my Ripley and tada!:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1271/1344065998_67cd8c8710.jpg

A couple of months later I realized how EVERYONE seems to simply love socks, and how cool it would be to give my mom a pair of handmade socks. So I asked here and everyone told me the easiest way to start was to dive in with Silver's Sock Class, which I did and here's the result (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57725) (link to the class is there too).

So you see...........just DIVE IN!!!!!!!!!!!! Use some cheaper yarn if you are afraid of spending too much on something you aren't sure you'll be able to finish yet and the worst thing that happens is you have to frog it and start again........in which case you will have learned some valuable knitting lessons in the process!

Remember...........professionals built the Titanic, but amateurs built the ark! ;)

Arielluria
08-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Another great way to get your feet wet with clothing is to make an easy poncho. I made 4 (2 of each below) from easy patterns from Lion Brand when I got started and these early projects are great to have because you don't mind so much wearing one in the garden and having a rose thorn catch on it, etc.:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3086/2792145359_93ebfd23aa.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2311/2343743368_bef75393e0.jpg

tarrentella
08-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Oh it's SOOOOOOOOOO easy you will laugh when you finally dive in and realize it!!!!!!!!!!! The videos here on KH are what helped ME be fearless.

I started knitting again because my doggies needed sweaters a couple of winters ago when I shaved them a tad early for spring. I went to Walmart to get some sweaters and saw what awful quality they were and in true DIY-Diva fashion I told myself "I can do better than that!!!!!!!!!!!!" So I bought a book and made a couple. They were flat knitted and seamed up, the easiest pattern the book "Posh Pooches" had. (Here's a KH thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52946) with pics if you are into cute puppies in sweaters ;))

I remember all those doggy sweaters!! that was when i had first learned to knit and i was super impressed because they looked great and i couldnt believe you could do somthing that would accomodate not just arms but little furry legs!! Its great to hear that they were so simple but so effective. you have the best dressed pooches on KH!!

but it is testement that some fantastic things can be created with minimum fuss, complication or terror.

Arielluria
08-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks! :muah:FYI, I just started a doggie fisherman's sweater last night from a pattern for my Peanut. It shouldn't take more than a few days, so look for a new post, it's ADO-rable! ;)

Sknitter56
08-27-2008, 07:00 PM
When I first started knitting many, many years ago I learned from my next door neighbor. I went over to her house one day and there she was, sitting on the couch, knitting her daughter a sweater. Well...I just HAD to learn so she taught me how. And, my very first knitting project was a sweater. For some reason, I never thought there was anything else to knit but a sweater. I must have knit 10 sweaters before I realized there were other things that I could do. Just take it one step at a time and remember there are plenty of people here that can help you with just about any kind of problem you may have. It's really not hard knitting a sweater...I promise. And, just think of how proud you'll be of yourself when someone comments on your sweater and you can say, "Thanks, I made it!":cheering:

KnittinMitchie
08-27-2008, 07:09 PM
I've now knitted 3 sweaters and countless pairs of socks. The language in which a sock patter n is wrote frightened me to death in the beginning but once I was show what it all ment I was off and running.

To add to the fun I teach a sock class and am getting ready to do a once piece baby sweater class. ALL of my classes are taught LIVE online via a web cam and yahoo confernce.

You can find my classes here (http://forums.thefuzzylamb.com). and if you have any questions jsut shot me a PM.

Moxiemade
08-28-2008, 01:41 AM
Wow! All the wonderful, supportive responses! You all are awesome. Truly.

So I found out that my friend is pregnant and I was looking at simple baby sweaters and a basic hat for her. Maybe I'll start there. Or maybe I will start with socks, I don't know. I get a paycheck in a week so I can get some yarn then.

I don't know why I'm so nervous. So far I've had hardly any problems. Every project I do so far seems to be a no brainer. Even my super huge lizard ridge afghan is turning out perfectly. It's really just the thought of making a tube of something that makes me nervous. I guess I'll never learn to do it if I don't just dip my feet in and have a go at it. Besides, I have all of you if I get stuck!

Thanks again for your responses. I'm sure I'll refer to this thread a lot when I start doubting if I should even try new things. :)

suzeeq
08-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Well, with a baby sweater you don't need to make a tube. There's several free top down raglan patterns - one at pureandsimple.com and several variations of the 5 hour baby sweater, also known as the quick baby sweater. They have an open front, which is easier to put on babies than a pullover. And if you can do short rows for the LR, you can do a baby cardigan.

SBG
08-29-2008, 09:39 AM
It's really no big deal. If you mess something up, you unravel it. No biggie :) I love socks; they're my favorite thing to knit. THough I still enjoy scarves and shawls too.

suzeeq
08-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Yep, and unraveling to reknit means more knitting time and the more you knit, the more you improve.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
08-29-2008, 01:53 PM
i started off knitting by making a weasley sweater from Charmed knits.

if you can make afghans and dishcloths, you can make a basic sweater.

Shandeh
08-29-2008, 06:05 PM
If you're afraid to try a pattern, go buy some super cheap yarn at the dollar store, and try something new with it. You won't be afraid to mess up with cheap yarn.

I do that when I get to a part of a pattern I don't understand. I cast on some stitches with cheap yarn on a different set of needles, practice the new technique until I'm comfortable with it, and then I go back to my good yarn and finish the project.