PDA

View Full Version : Project for Ben - Rabbit's Younger Son / The Squares are Being Seamed Together!!

auburnchick
08-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Hey folks!

The last couple of times I've talked to Rabbit, I've grown more and more concerned about her younger son, Ben.

Ben is starting to feel left out, as any 8 year old would, given the circumstances.

I would like to see if we can gather forces, once again, to do something nice for him.

I'm totally open to ideas.

One thing I will say is that he absolutely LOVES Austin's blanket. I'm hesitant to suggest another blanket, but if there was enough interest, I think it would be terrific!

Other ideas? I am totally willing to do whatever legwork necessary.

Thanks all!

:muah:

farmgirl
08-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Count me in whatever you decide to do. I have been following the threads & am planning to start Austin the Bear as soon as my prayer shawl is done. I think Ben is a hero for getting the hose! Maybe we could make something for him in a super-hero theme?

vaknitter
08-27-2008, 10:23 PM
I think doing something for Ben is a great idea. I had originally sent a fleece blanket from the Linus Projust for Austin and I would be more than happy to send one for Ben. I am not great at making granny squares though I would be more than happy to make a couple if someone is willing to seam another blanket.
Are there books or other things he would like if we tried to make a care package ? Do we know if he likes to draw, do puzzles, or play with action figures - things that he could play with at the hosp ? Seems like in some of the posts it sounds like he is really into Rabbit's knitting and her yarn....is there a yarn craft kit that could be sent to him?

auburnchick
08-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Ben does like superheroes, as well as the typical stuff that boys his age enjoy.

While he enjoys knitting, I'm sure it's not his primary focus, as one would expect for a child that age (although to be interested is unusual in and of itself).

I'm thinking that once Austin started receiving the postcards and the blanket, he started really feeling left out. So I wonder if something more personal would be the way to go.

I've thought about walking through Hobby Lobby and picking out some different crafts...maybe wrapping them up individually for him to open on different days.

:??

mks22300
08-27-2008, 11:34 PM
I don't have any ideas at the moment, but whatever is decided, you can count me in!

Rabbitrescuer
08-28-2008, 12:11 AM
Awww - you guys :grphug: :muah: :grphug:
As Chick said it really started after the 26 post cards in one day. I do have to say that LuLu2 did send a post card that was just for Ben along with Austin's. I have also pointed out to Ben that he has received some things from people here too. I expect a lot from my kids & at first was really upset about Ben's attitude but then I had to stop & remember that he is only 8 even though most of the time he acts much older. Some of the things he has said recently really remind me of the brother on the show Everybody Loves Raymond. He doesn't whine or pitch fits - he just every so often makes a remark about Austin being more important than him.

Mulderknitter
08-28-2008, 08:17 AM
:muah: For only being 8, I'm suprised he wasn't acting that way a bit sooner, what a great kid! Count me in for whatever is needed

sue in canada
08-28-2008, 08:20 AM
I can understand how Ben must feel. If he is crafty I think your idea of a few things from Hobby Lobby is great Nathalie. I will see what ideas you all come up with.

Becky Morgan
08-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Give him a hug from me, provided he'll put up with it, would you? It's perfectly normal to feel the way he does. Remind him that it isn't that Austin is more important, only that he really needs the attention right now, and it's okay for Ben to feel left out or ignored, and we'll try to do something about that :)
I'd like to help with the blanket. Things were so chaotic around here all summer that I couldn't offer before. (Now all we have to do is keep from getting flooded out by either or both hurricanes, but Ohio's always in the path no matter where they hit!)

KnittinMitchie
08-28-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm game for another blanket and will do all of the work sewing again if anyone is game. I had BLAST doing Austin's blanket and when we sent Austin his magnadoodle lil' Mitchie picked out some yarn for Ben.

I can understand Ben feeling how he does. Its sort of like when a new baby is brought home from the hospital and everyone is SO into the baby.

So if we want to do blanket #2 I'm all for that and Ben likes the color green. :) Just let me know what we decide one.

auburnchick
08-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Y'all are so tremendously wonderful! Thank you!

:muah::muah::muah:

What say we do like with the blanket for Austin...

Perhaps we could aim for 30 squares...follow the same guidelines as for the previous blanket? It seemed a good size for Austin.

I would still like to pick up a couple of things from Hobby Lobby.

If anyone wants to help with the blanket, contact either Knittinmitchie or me.

If you would like to send Ben a card (or anything else), please let me know. I'll give you the address for the hospital. He's been with his mom during most of Austin's hospital stay.

We could also, if anyone is interested, send some sort of arrangement to Ben, using the same company I used for the other two deliveries. I've used Adrian Durban Florist (http://www.adriandurban.com/index.cfm), and they've been FANTASTIC! I have coupons that they sent me, so that would take off a few $$ from the price. I am out of money, spending every penny on Austin's items and the minutes for Christina's phone.

Ok...those are my random thoughts...

Whatcha think??

Rabbitrescuer
08-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Count me in for a square or two! Mitchie - are we going with Caron SS again? I have several shades of green in that. I'm sure Ben will love his blanket every bit as much as Austin loves his. You guys are awesome!!:grphug: :grphug:

susi
08-28-2008, 04:28 PM
im in as well as long as i can get hold of the yarn needed. what type of yarn did everyone use last time (i have a head like a sive lol).

if i can get hold of it i'll definatly do it as well

christina, i'm amazed that ben didnt act up earlier, he must feel like the world revolves around austin right now. poor love.

PurlyGyrl
08-28-2008, 04:44 PM
:cheering:Please count me in!! :muah: I'd love to do a square for Ben's blanket .

KnittinMitchie
08-28-2008, 05:41 PM
If you all want to do a square for Ben's blanket I will be more than happy to seam and put the border on the blanket. Lets use Caron Simply Soft or Caron Bright, or any machine washable worsted weight yarn. Please avoid 100% cotton yarn in you can.

Cotton is so much harder to seam and it does not play well with the other yarn. Any acrylic/acrylic blend is a good yarn choice for a blanket that may need some TLC via the washer.

Remember Rabbit is one busy gal and doesn't have the time to hand was a 40 inch by 48 inch blanket by hand.

If you would like to contribute granny squares OR knitted squares you can do an 8 inch square please PM me OR Auburnchick for the address or with any question. All squares will be coming to me. For those of you who knitted for Austin's blanket the address is still the same we haven't moved....YET.

auburnchick
08-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Mitchie, have I told you lately that YOU ROCK?

:teehee:

As do all of the members here. This truly is the friendliest place on the internet.

:grphug:

My crocheting friend at work will be joining our efforts again. :cheering:

BTW, I'm hunting for an iPod for Ben. The other IT person in my office has a sister-in-law who works for Apple. He's going to call her and ask about them donating one. We'll see. Crossed Fingers

KnittinMitchie
08-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Auburn have I told you that YOU ROCK!!!

Good luck on the iPod.

mks22300
08-28-2008, 07:04 PM
I'd be happy to make a square or two for Ben! :)

farmgirl
08-28-2008, 10:25 PM
I would love to make one, too.:)

Prayers & hugs to Rabbit & her family.

lelvsdgs
08-28-2008, 10:54 PM
I would love to make a square or two as well. Could someone post a link to the pattern that was used so I can see if it's something I can do?
Everyone here is so inspiring. You restore one's faith in humanity!

ClaireGrandmaMaria
08-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Auburn, Mitchie and Rabbit...Sorry this is a group note, but been very busy....I have been thinking of Ben today when I was in the card shop and I said to myself I think Ben needs a little TLC too and I pickup a card for him and it will go off in the mail tomorrow...I will do one square too for Ben using the same color of yarn I did for Austin. I am sure the little guy is hurting to in his own way....We all have a lot of love to give and Ben is also sharing a lot of pain....Count on grandma to do a square...When is the date line for this blanket? Love to you all. Grandma:hug: :muah: :heart:

Mitchie...pm me with your address

ClaireGrandmaMaria
08-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Rabbit...give Ben a big hug from Grandma

lulu2
08-28-2008, 11:55 PM
Aw, I wish I could help out with Ben's blanket, but yarn is so scarce here it is virtually impossible to get ANY kind, let alone specific colours or makes. :shrug: Also, post takes so long to get there from here, I would probably never be able to make the cut-off date. Oh well, I will have to think of something else ....:present:
Does anyone know of the superhero "Ben10"? I had never heard of him, but some expats here were talking about how their sons love him ... maybe you could find something Ben10 related????
And lotsa love to Mommy and Daddy who need to keep their strength up too! :hug: :hug:

Dangles
08-29-2008, 03:19 AM
oh oh count me in! Kudos to both Auburnchick (and good luck on the iPod hunt) and 'Mitchie stepping up to the seaming plate.

Hugs to Ben, Rabbit.

KnittinMitchie
08-29-2008, 10:27 AM
you cna do what ever you would like for the 8 inch square. I used a dish cloth pattern and just used acrylic yarn.

KnittinMitchie
08-29-2008, 10:30 AM
oh oh count me in! Kudos to both Auburnchick (and good luck on the iPod hunt) and 'Mitchie stepping up to the seaming plate.

Hugs to Ben, Rabbit.

hehe I took the "easy" route. Plus I'll do another ABC block like I did on Austin's Blanket this time it will be a B for BEn. ROLF an then Rabbit can tell them apart too.

blueygh2
08-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Is there a deadline? I'm in for squares, but I will only be able to get yarn around mid-september,... if that's not too late, I'd like to crochet one or two squares ... or more,...

KnittinMitchie
08-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Well as of the moment there is no deadline Auburn what sounds good for a deadline? Also please feel free to make as many squares as you would like. I we get more than 30 that's awsome. And of course I will be making 2 myself as well as seaming the whole blanket.

Ben likes the color green just in case anyone was wondering.

Rabbitrescuer
08-29-2008, 01:10 PM
hehe I took the "easy" route. Plus I'll do another ABC block like I did on Austin's Blanket this time it will be a B for BEn. ROLF an then Rabbit can tell them apart too.

Awesome!! I was thinking about a "B" for his but since you're gonna do it I can do these: http://www.knittingknonsense.com/dogcloth.html,
http://frogiezplace.blogspot.com/2007/12/giddy-up.html
Thanks to everyone who is knitting squares - Ben will be so happy to have his own knitted blanket. :grphug:

auburnchick
08-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Well as of the moment there is no deadline Auburn what sounds good for a deadline?

I DO think we need a deadline...that way it gets done.

Mitchie, how long did you give everyone for Austin's blanket?

I think if we follow the same time frame, we should be good.

susi
08-29-2008, 01:29 PM
i cant do mine for about 2 weeks as i have no stash yarn tats the right colour right now tats not wool or wool blend so no good.

i spoke to my lys today and have arranged to go and see her next week so i can pick up some yarn then. as soon as i have it i'll get started :)

KnittinMitchie
08-29-2008, 02:13 PM
okay lets say all squares post marked by September 30th. If you run into any problems please notify me or auburnchick.

susi
08-29-2008, 02:22 PM
okay lets say all squares post marked by September 30th. If you run into any problems please notify me or auburnchick.

that will eave me only a few days to get things done by allowing time to get it to you. it can take 2 weeks to post to america from france. i will probably be able to get it done anyway.

i have no worst weight at all left, i used the last last night on an austin bear.

with that time scale dont count on mine being there, but i will do my best to get them tehre by then, but as it could take 2 weeks to get to you in america it may be a hard one not being able to get hold of the yarn until the earliest next weekend.

i can but do my best.

KnittinMitchie
08-29-2008, 04:55 PM
that will eave me only a few days to get things done by allowing time to get it to you. it can take 2 weeks to post to america from france. i will probably be able to get it done anyway.

i have no worst weight at all left, i used the last last night on an austin bear.

with that time scale dont count on mine being there, but i will do my best to get them tehre by then, but as it could take 2 weeks to get to you in america it may be a hard one not being able to get hold of the yarn until the earliest next weekend.

i can but do my best.

As long as you get your squares mailed no later than September 30th that is fine I know mail can take 1-2 weeks coming from Europe. It will take me a good 2 weeks to work the layout, seam, and border the blanket.

dustinac
08-29-2008, 05:15 PM
If you need more blocks I can make another one too...I have some green caron in my closet :yay:

auburnchick
08-29-2008, 08:42 PM

i can but do my best.

Susi,

Would it be easier if I sent you a skein of yarn? I don't know if you would be able to get started quicker.

susi
08-30-2008, 02:39 AM
Susi,

Would it be easier if I sent you a skein of yarn? I don't know if you would be able to get started quicker.
i have e mailed my lys to see if she could post me some, it will take about 3/4 days tops to get to me (its crazy as she's 10 mins down the road, but no car means no going there). i know her yarns great as she brouight the lot to my house to see/feel. and its acrylic which is ever better.

thanks natalie for the lovley offer, but hopefully it should be ok. once i told th elady what it was for she bent over backwards to help (shes a granny and its a there by the grace of god kinda thing isnt it as things like this could happen to anyone).

thank you though :)

sue in canada
08-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Must it be all green? I have a nice green/blue mix that I could make a square with.

auburnchick
08-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Oh, no, you certainly don't have to use green. Please feel free to use whatever color you want.

:hug:

sue in canada
08-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Good, I will make a square. Please pm me with the address to send it to.

auburnchick
08-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Good, I will make a square. Please pm me with the address to send it to.

Sent you KnittinMitchie's address. :thumbsup:

KnittinMitchie
08-30-2008, 07:55 PM
You can see Austin's Blanket HERE (http://lh3.ggpht.com/KnittinMitchie/SLFzc8daKeI/AAAAAAAAAmE/C0MaErV953U/Photo_082108_001.JPG?imgmax=720) if you would like to see how I did the lay out and seamed all of the squares. Austin likes blue but as you can see we have all different colors. My squares are the green/black/yellow granny square and the one with the letter A.

FYI: All blankets than come through my house are quality tested by Lil' Mitchie.

ClaireGrandmaMaria
08-31-2008, 02:49 AM
Mitchie, Will get more yarn for Ben square tomorrow...I don't think I will have enough yarn from Austin square to do Ben..So Ben will have a different green for his blanket. I found your address so no need to pm me. More later. Love, Grandma:muah: :heart:

Karina
08-31-2008, 03:58 AM
I would like to be involved with this blanket. Mitchie if you could PM me your address, I have Caron Simply Soft Brites and would like to make a couple of squares. Was thinking That if you make a B I could make a E and an N.

http://www.knittingknonsense.com/ALPHA_TABLE.htm this is the site I am using at the moment to make my daughter a blanket. let me know what you think.

sue in canada
08-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Great link Karina. Thanks.

gingerbread
08-31-2008, 09:30 AM
That is a great link thanks Karina.:)

:waving:

KnittinMitchie
08-31-2008, 11:13 AM
I would like to be involved with this blanket. Mitchie if you could PM me your address, I have Caron Simply Soft Brites and would like to make a couple of squares. Was thinking That if you make a B I could make a E and an N.

http://www.knittingknonsense.com/ALPHA_TABLE.htm this is the site I am using at the moment to make my daughter a blanket. let me know what you think.

The Letter B has already been spoken for. But you can definately make the other letters.

PM'ed ya.

Karina
08-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Got your PM. Will start the E and N and post when done.

KnittinMitchie
08-31-2008, 01:54 PM
:) I think I know how I'm going to lay out the middle of Ben's Blanket. Karina are you going to make the E & N different colors or the same color?

just to let everyone know you can knit what ever your heart desires. From the looks of it the blanket will have B E N squares so naturally I will put these 3 squares in the middle and build rest of the blanket around them.

auburnchick
08-31-2008, 03:45 PM
I am so excited! Ben is going to be THRILLED when he sees that the blanket has his name!!!!!

Y'all ROCK!

:grphug:

Karina
08-31-2008, 03:49 PM
I have finished the E in caron simply soft brite Yellow and the N in caron simply soft Blue Mint it is a bluey green colour. They are ready to go in the post so will send them out on Tuesday when the kids go back to school.

I sort of figured you would make the B in Green so tried to do colours that would go with that (hopefully)

Karina
08-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Here is photos of the squares the colours are not right. hard to get a good photo at night.

Just need to weave in the ends then they are ready to go.

KnittinMitchie
08-31-2008, 05:51 PM
yup my bright green will match :) Did you use the patterns from knitting knonscence ?

mks22300
08-31-2008, 06:40 PM
Your squares look great Karina! :)

auburnchick
08-31-2008, 06:49 PM
Beautiful work, Karina! And so fast too! Now if I could get you to finish this scarf I'm working on. :teehee:

ClaireGrandmaMaria
08-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Hi all, Okay I got the yarn to do Ben's square so I will start on it. Hope to have it done by end of week, between work and all. Love to all Grandma:muah: :hug:

sue in canada
08-31-2008, 09:21 PM
Karina: The squares look great.

I finished one this evening and am working on a second. Will mail this week.

KnittinMitchie
08-31-2008, 09:26 PM
DEADLINE CHANGE:
ALL SQUARES ARE TO BE POST MARKED NO LATER THAN OCTOBER 15TH.

this should allow all of the squares to get to me from all over the world. I know how the darn post office works. I used to work for them.

Dangles
09-01-2008, 02:41 AM
I better get started on the square ... now .. what to knit...

susi
09-01-2008, 02:58 AM
I better get started on the square ... now .. what to knit...
Thats what im like right now as well. i have found 1 skein of yarn that should make a couple before my order comes in to make some more if i can make the time to.

where is it that everyone is finidng the patterns for there squares please?

also can i have an address to post to please as im going to get 1 lot in the post this weekend hopefully then start a new lot so taht way you'll at lmeast have something from me (iykwim)

Karina
09-01-2008, 03:39 AM
Mitchie i did use the alphabet on knitting nonsense.

Sue - I think most of the dishcloth patterns would work. The caron Simply Soft works out to be about 36-7 stitches for the 8 inch square on a 5mm needle, The alphabet that I used just happened to have 36 stitches so was perfect for this project. You can always do your own thing. cast on the stitches you need and do a stitch pattern you like with a gather stitch border around it. Hope this helps you.

susi
09-01-2008, 03:48 AM
Sue - I think most of the dishcloth patterns would work. The caron Simply Soft works out to be about 36-7 stitches for the 8 inch square on a 5mm needle, The alphabet that I used just happened to have 36 stitches so was perfect for this project. You can always do your own thing. cast on the stitches you need and do a stitch pattern you like with a gather stitch border around it. Hope this helps you.[/quote]
yes thank you it does, i actually looked at the pattern link you showed earlier and did the same st size etc. i used a 5mm as well. but im not using caron simply soft as i cant get it. i'm just doing a basket weave pattern so its not just plain stst. thank you

KnittinMitchie
09-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Who is sending squares (so far):

the number is () is how many squares each person has done/sending

Susi
Karina (2)
Rabbitrescuer
ClaireGrandmaMarie
farmgirl
auntcrafty
Sue in Canada (2)
Internette
Ellieblue
Aburnchick's CoWorker
Blueyg2 (4)
goodwench2973
mks22300
PurlyGyrl
LadyLou
Raeknitsnwa
Iwouldratherbeknitting
monzogary
Dangles
vaknitter & her mom

I have a feeling we may end up passing our goal of 30, but we will see. Also if you are not on the list PM me so I can add you. and as I get squares I will up date how many I get from each person.

sue in canada
09-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Here are my 2 squares. I will get them mailed this week.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3265/2817097079_b2004f0b5e.jpg

auburnchick
09-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Who is sending squares (so far):
Susi
Karina
Rabbitrescuer
ClaireGrandmaMarie
farmgirl
auntcrafty
Sue in Canada
Internette
Ellieblue

I have a feeling we may end up passing our goal of 30, but we will see. Also if you are not on the list PM me so I can add you. and as I get squares I will up date how many I get from each person.

My friend at work will also make a few...not sure how many. I think she made six the last time.

KnittinMitchie
09-01-2008, 01:30 PM
My friend at work will also make a few...not sure how many. I think she made six the last time.

Yeah she made 6 last time :) You still got my address?

blueygh2
09-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Okay, I bought two shades of green today, couldn't wait to start, and now I hear that the deadline has moved. Good. Anyway, I could do at least 3 squares then, I think...
Count me in :D

auburnchick
09-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Yeah she made 6 last time :) You still got my address?

What a silly question. :eyes:

:roflhard:

KnittinMitchie
09-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Hey I have to ask. I never know.

auburnchick
09-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Hey I have to ask. I never know.

Oh, I know. I was just teasing.

:hug:

KnittinMitchie
09-03-2008, 07:44 AM
If you check out post #63 (http://knittinghelp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1147934&postcount=63) you can see we have a good number of knitters. Our goal is 30 squares but if we go over that goal then HURRAH!!

I know that some of you are/have made more than one square and I thank you :)

iwouldratherbeknitting
09-03-2008, 10:34 AM
I am moving into my house this THUR (as in: TOMORROW) and will eventually 'find my yarn' amongst all the boxes, boxes and more boxes! My hand (torn tendons) should be well enough by the end of SEPT to knit at least one square- I couldn't knit one before -- darn injury! So, thank you for extending the deadline so that I'll be able to participate too.

So, I am happy to knit a square... I won't have a way to get the same 'brand of acrylic' yarn (I'm in Germany now and have yet to see a yarn shop anywhere!)... but, I will have some yarn that I can use that will work.

Do send me the mailing address. Thanks

Karina
09-03-2008, 11:21 AM
My squares have been posted today, should be with you next week sometime.

KnittinMitchie
09-03-2008, 11:41 AM
I am moving into my house this THUR (as in: TOMORROW) and will eventually 'find my yarn' amongst all the boxes, boxes and more boxes! My hand (torn tendons) should be well enough by the end of SEPT to knit at least one square- I couldn't knit one before -- darn injury! So, thank you for extending the deadline so that I'll be able to participate too.

So, I am happy to knit a square... I won't have a way to get the same 'brand of acrylic' yarn (I'm in Germany now and have yet to see a yarn shop anywhere!)... but, I will have some yarn that I can use that will work.

Do send me the mailing address. Thanks

PM'ed You

Rabbitrescuer
09-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Hey Karina aka Speedknitter can I send you some projects to finish up for me? :roflhard:
Mitchie - I'm about halfway done with one of mine. I should have both of them done in plenty of time to make the deadline.
Again big thanks to everyone who is making squares for Ben's blanket. :grphug:

monzogary
09-03-2008, 07:18 PM
I would love to help out on this. I can do a couple squares or more. Please pm me the address to send them to when I have some done.

blueygh2
09-03-2008, 07:21 PM
If you check out post #63 (http://knittinghelp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1147934&postcount=63) you can see we have a good number of knitters. Our goal is 30 squares but if we go over that goal then HURRAH!!

I know that some of you are/have made more than one square and I thank you :)

It would be nonsense to pay 10$ shipping cost for one square,... (which I have already done...) so I decided I'd do a little more, so that postage would not seem as excessively high...

KnittinMitchie
09-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Just a note. When you go to ship your squares, we have found that envelopes (with or with our bubble wrap built in) are MUCH cheaper than boxes when it comes to paying postage. Just thought I would share.

KnittinMitchie
09-03-2008, 08:23 PM
I would love to help out on this. I can do a couple squares or more. Please pm me the address to send them to when I have some done.

PM'ed you

Karina
09-04-2008, 03:59 PM
For shipping I used one of them plastic bags that Get Knitted send their yarn in and postage cost only a couple of pounds. made him double check because postage within the UK usually cost more than that.

Rabbit, I can be quick with my knitting, But my downfall is that I am so easily distracted. I have about 10 or more projects on the go at any one time. I do love small projects.

susi
09-04-2008, 04:22 PM
oh yes, can i have the address to ship them to also please?

KnittinMitchie
09-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Susi Knitting help will not let me PM you. Can you please email me cwalters AT thefuzzylamb DOT com. AT=@ DOT= .

sue in canada
09-05-2008, 02:01 PM
KnittinMitchie - My squares will be in the mail today.

KnittinMitchie
09-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Sue in Canada. I will be looking for them.

vaknitter
09-06-2008, 09:20 AM
I would love to make a couple of squares for you and am hoping I can get my mom to crochet/knit a couple as well (I am going home to stay with her for few days while she recovers from breast cancer surgery and figure that will be good therapy for her) However, I have never knit any blanket squares or granny squares before so are there any rules or do I just knit an 8x8 dishcloth with acrylic yarn? I was thinking of doing a square with a sailboat, bat and ball etc on them....

KnittinMitchie
09-06-2008, 11:15 AM
vaknitter you've got the right idea. Just think of dish cloth size squares and you are all set. I will add you and your mom to our LONG list.

Thank you and I hope your mom's recovery is swift :)

KnittinMitchie
09-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Here is the current updated list of who is sending squares (so far):

the number in () is how many squares each person has done/sending

Susi
Karina (2) received
Rabbitrescuer
ClaireGrandmaMarie
farmgirl
auntcrafty
Sue in Canada (2)
Internette
Ellieblue (1) received
Aburnchick's CoWorker
Blueyg2 (4)
goodwench2973
mks22300
PurlyGyrl
LadyLou
Raeknitsnwa
Iwouldratherbeknitting
monzogary
Dangles
vaknitter & her mom

Also if you are not on the list PM me so I can add you and as I get squares I will up date how many I get from each person. Nest to your name I will put received so you know I have your squares.

KnittinMitchie
09-06-2008, 04:29 PM
I got a square in the mail today from Ellieblue I believe. It came from Vermont.

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp355/zyphera/Blanket%20Squares/DSCN0581-1.jpg

KnittinMitchie
09-08-2008, 04:44 PM
I got 2 squares in the mail today from Karina. Also thank you for for the yarn and the pattern. Once I get some other projects off the needles I will definitely give it a go.

ClaireGrandmaMaria
09-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Mitchie,

My square is in the mail ...you should have it by Friday.

KnittinMitchie
09-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Grandma I will be looking for the square. Will PM you when I get it.

Thank you :)

blueygh2
09-11-2008, 02:49 PM
I don't know what has bitten me, but I think I'm gonna do a few more squares... I'll see what I got.

One day without knitting or crochet, and I go crazy... as it seems...

ClaireGrandmaMaria
09-11-2008, 09:21 PM
MItchie,

Thank you. Keep dry as much as you can...I know it been really rainning hard in your area. Love, Grandma

Rabbitrescuer
09-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Mitchie,

I'll be sending my 2 squares out on Monday. I had planned to send them today but walking 2 blocks in the rain just didn't sound fun. :teehee:

KnittinMitchie
09-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Rabbit I do not blame you one bit.

PurlyGyrl I got your Squares today thank you soo much for the notebook.

InterNette
09-13-2008, 08:29 AM
My squares are in the mail to you Knittinmitchie

KnittinMitchie
09-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Just a reminder there is a month left to get your squares done and in the mail. Please have them post marked before October 15th. If everything goes as planned I want to have the blanket done and mailed by Halloween. Yes I know this is ambtious

Jaxhil
09-15-2008, 07:58 AM
I would like to knit a square or two for Ben's blanket as well~I didn't get any knitted for Austin's :sad: but I am sure I have time to do at least one or two for Ben's blanket-I love how Austin's turned out! And I am sure Ben will absolutely love having his name on his! The letter squares look great! The others do to. I really love the blue/green variegated yarn, it's so pretty!

I haven't been taking time to knit for the last few weeks. This will be such a perfect project to get back in to the swing!

:hug: I am so glad to be part of this group :heart:

KnittinMitchie
09-15-2008, 07:20 PM
I got squares from sue in Canada and Internette today. Thank you they are wonderful looking.

Ellieblue
09-16-2008, 12:33 PM
I got a square in the mail today from Ellieblue I believe. It came from Vermont.

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp355/zyphera/Blanket%20Squares/DSCN0581-1.jpg
yep, that was me ellieblue

auburnchick
09-16-2008, 08:36 PM
My friend at work just finished 8 squares! Here are pictures...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3173/2864289142_fba278f9c5.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3091/2864288864_72517e7c50.jpg

They'll be in the mail tomorrow!

KnittinMitchie
09-16-2008, 11:08 PM
WOW those are AWSOME.

vaknitter
09-18-2008, 07:50 PM
I have 2 blue squares done for the blanket if you would like to PM me an address I will get them in the mail.

KnittinMitchie
09-18-2008, 11:10 PM
I got 2 squares today from Rabbit. She did a dog and a horse.

Rabbitrescuer
09-18-2008, 11:24 PM
I got 2 squares today from Rabbit. She did a dog and a horse.

Glad they made it!

KnittinMitchie
09-22-2008, 06:11 PM
I got 8 squares from Auburnchick today :) Thank you

mks22300
09-22-2008, 07:06 PM
When's the due date again?

KnittinMitchie
09-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Just a reminder the due date for having the squares in the mail is October 15th.

iwouldratherbeknitting
09-25-2008, 02:08 AM
I knitted my square... could someone send me the address so I can mail it?

Thanks!

KnittinMitchie
09-25-2008, 07:22 AM
PM'ed you my address

iwouldratherbeknitting
09-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the address- the square has been mailed.

KnittinMitchie
09-26-2008, 05:45 PM
I got a packager from Spikey today :) Thank you

Spikey
09-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Glad it arrived safely. Thanks!

KnittinMitchie
09-30-2008, 05:33 PM
I got a BEAUTIFUL Green square today from IWouldRatherBeKnitting. Thank you so much :)

Also you have 15 days left get your squares into he mail. I have talked to one person who should be mailing me some over the weekend.

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-01-2008, 04:35 AM
Yeah! Glad it made it across the ocean!

Dangles
10-02-2008, 07:06 PM
I should almost be done.. been a hectic Septemeber.. I'll snap up a picture when I am done.

dustinac
10-03-2008, 11:06 AM
:woot: I found my square! I'll put it in the mail this afternoon :teehee:

KnittinMitchie
10-03-2008, 07:21 PM
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be looking for it

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Here's the square that I knitted... *I had copied the pattern down on an index card and carried it around with me to knit 'off and on' at odd moments... and the more that I knitted the more that I was sure that what I was knitting wasn't like the photo..

SO, I found the pattern again.. double checked what I had written down to the actual printed directions and sure enough.. I hadn't copied it down wrong... but, my stitch pattern looks nothing like the photo that was provided w/ the directions/pattern. I liked it anyway and kept doing it the way that they had written it 'incorrectly'... :aww:

KnittinMitchie
10-04-2008, 08:01 PM
I got a package from AuntCrafty as well as some Hawaiian goodies. Those Chocolate Covered Macadamias is gone I saved the others for DH.

auntcrafty
10-05-2008, 02:55 AM
I got a package from AuntCrafty as well as some Hawaiian goodies. Those Chocolate Covered Macadamias is gone I saved the others for DH.

:roflhard: Should have sent you a bigger package! Glad they arrived!

KnittinMitchie
10-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Just a reminder you all have 9 days left to get your squares in the mail. If you have a problem or can not make it to the post office in time PLEASE contact me by a PM or email. My email is cwalters@thefuzzylamb.com

mks22300
10-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Finally got mine done, it's been a busy month. Mitchie, I will most likely be sending my package out on Thursday. :)

Dangles
10-07-2008, 01:09 PM
I had to redo another one ... I did up a sock monkey .. came out 8x9... i'm gonna make a dinosaur instead and am just about done.

auburnchick
10-07-2008, 01:42 PM
My friend at work just made three more squares today, and she's hoping to finish a few more this weekend. I'll put them in the mail either on Monday or Tuesday.

BTW: If anyone has time and could make another square or two, we would really appreciate it. We're still short a few squares for our ideal size.

Thanks!

Dangles
10-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Auburn, I could send out two.

monzogary
10-07-2008, 02:25 PM
My friend at work just made three more squares today, and she's hoping to finish a few more this weekend. I'll put them in the mail either on Monday or Tuesday.

BTW: If anyone has time and could make another square or two, we would really appreciate it. We're still short a few squares for our ideal size.

Thanks!

I sent a box off to Knittinmitchie on Saturday, and if I remember right it has at least 12 squares in it.

auburnchick
10-07-2008, 04:21 PM
I sent a box off to Knittinmitchie on Saturday, and if I remember right it has at least 12 squares in it.

:passedout:

KnittinMitchie
10-07-2008, 04:27 PM

WOW i didnt realize you sent me that many. I h ve to go check the mail yet today so I don't know if I have any squares

figaro
10-07-2008, 05:09 PM
I just finished 2 and will send them out tomorrow. I do need a address to send them to though:think:....

monzogary
10-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Ok I just checked the pics I took of them, and there were 18 squares. Guess I was a busy little knitting bee :teehee:.
:knitting:
For anyone that wants to see them, here are my pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22891017@N00/2911165898/in/set-72157600037224805/

monzogary
10-07-2008, 05:45 PM
WOW i didnt realize you sent me that many. I h ve to go check the mail yet today so I don't know if I have any squares

My box probably won't get to you till close to the end of the week anyway. I only sent it parcel post and its going to Texas from Michigan!

ClaireGrandmaMaria
10-07-2008, 06:06 PM
I will see what I can do, when is the deadline again?:hug:

KnittinMitchie
10-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Deadline is October 15th, a week from tomorrow.

farmgirl
10-07-2008, 08:50 PM
I sent my square today! Please let me know if you need another one!:hug:

ClaireGrandmaMaria
10-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Deadline is October 15th, a week from tomorrow.

Mitchie,

Okay I am working on a square now and will get that in the mail by Friday...if I can do another I will, but just count me in for one for now. Again Mitchie thank you for your time in putting the blanket togeher....Love, Grandma:hug:

blueygh2
10-08-2008, 08:39 AM
My squares are at the postoffice, so I hope they will arrive in time...

KnittinMitchie
10-08-2008, 10:06 AM
my mailman is going to wonder what I'm up to again will all of these packages coming. LOL

figaro
10-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Just put my 2 in the mail, they should be there by Saturday I hope!

ClaireGrandmaMaria
10-09-2008, 02:24 AM
Mitchie,

One done and hope to do another one tomorrow, if I am not called into work....I just got home from work and I need to get something to eat and off to bed..it is 11:20pm here...

Love, Grandma:hug:

KnittinMitchie
10-09-2008, 01:16 PM
I got a package today when I checked the mail. it is from monzogary. Thank you SO much all of those squares are beautiful.

mks22300
10-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Hey Mitchie, I sent you off a package today!

ClaireGrandmaMaria
10-10-2008, 12:17 AM
Mitchie,

My 2 squares will be in the mail by Friday but no later then Saturday morning.

Love, Grandma
:hug: :muah:

KnittinMitchie
10-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Hi all I have recieved squares from Dustina and Farmgirl. Need to go and count the squares but I think we are getting VERY close to the target of 30.

Also Auburn sent you a PM.

Dangles
10-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Two squares were sent off to you, Christine. It was sent by air so ... it should arrive next week.

ClaireGrandmaMaria
10-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Mitchie,

I mailed off 2 more squares this morning...

Love, Greandma:hug:

KnittinMitchie
10-11-2008, 11:42 AM
I got a package from Figaro and one from Ruckersville, VA.

Thank you both for your squares

vaknitter
10-13-2008, 07:32 AM
OOPS - the VA squares are mine. I was in such a rush getting to the post office I left my note on the kitchen table

Jaxhil
10-13-2008, 07:36 AM
Is it too late to send squares? they are supposed to be 8", right? I hope I'm not too late. I messed up the one I was making and got stalled out, but if its not too late I'd like to send finish it up and send it in.

Do you know how many more you need? I have a bunch knit up from another project also, so if you are short I could send some of those as well. They're already done, of course, so they have that advantage :teehee:

KnittinMitchie
10-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Thank you VAknitter and Jaxhill the deadline is WEDNESDAY, October 15th (2 days from now) to have the squares in the mail. If you would like to donate squares please feel free too.

sgtpam
10-13-2008, 11:07 AM
:wink: I'm sure it's in this post, but please save me looking back over all 15 pages...

What type of squares are you collecting...size, yarn type/color, pattern? :knitting:

KnittinMitchie
10-13-2008, 11:38 AM
8 inch by 8inch squares any color and it has to be machine washable NO cotton and you can kniw what ever you want for the pattern.

KnittinMitchie
10-13-2008, 01:18 PM
I also got a package today but I cant remember from who now. It had orange and pink tissue paper in the envelope.

Jaxhil
10-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Okay.

So I finished the square (I frogged it and re-knit it this morning~appropriate, since its a frog pattern :teehee:) and it came out NINE inches square.

:mad: :wall:

:( Should I send it anyway? I guess I could re-knit, since its a pretty fast pattern :shrug: I can't believe its too big. Ugh!

LOL~anyway, I'm off to check the squares I already have done, I think they're 8 inches (crosses fingers).

KnittinMitchie
10-13-2008, 01:24 PM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/KnittinMitchie/SPODyeg5K2I/AAAAAAAAAzY/Rrxeu2MKRSc/s800/DSCN0638.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/KnittinMitchie/SPOD0NRei4I/AAAAAAAAAzE/0PlvwUUYJ_o/s800/DSCN0640.JPG

I have SO many squares that it has taken me 2 pictures to share them all. This is not all of the squares yet. Ben will have one BIG blanket. ;) Thanks to the HUGE box of 18 squares :) The green ball with the needles will be the letter B once I get it done.

KnittinMitchie
10-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Okay.

So I finished the square (I frogged it and re-knit it this morning~appropriate, since its a frog pattern :teehee:) and it came out NINE inches square.

:mad: :wall:

:( Should I send it anyway? I guess I could re-knit, since its a pretty fast pattern :shrug: I can't believe its too big. Ugh!

LOL~anyway, I'm off to check the squares I already have done, I think they're 8 inches (crosses fingers).

The don't have to be dead on 8 inches square. just close like 8 1/4 or so just try to keep it under 8.5 inches

sgtpam
10-13-2008, 04:23 PM
If I get one done, where do I mail it?

KnittinMitchie
10-13-2008, 05:43 PM
If I get one done, where do I mail it?

I sent you a PM with my address

auburnchick
10-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Hey Mitchie...didn't recognize your new avatar! Nice!

I'm putting six squares in the mail. They'll leave tomorrow. They are the ones promised by my friend at work.

Thanks for the lovely pictures!

mks22300
10-13-2008, 06:50 PM
The envelope might have been mine, I had orange and red tissue paper in it. All the squares look great! :)

KnittinMitchie
10-13-2008, 08:04 PM
MKS it was yours. Thank you.

Auburn I will be looking for them

ClaireGrandmaMaria
10-13-2008, 10:19 PM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/KnittinMitchie/SPODyeg5K2I/AAAAAAAAAzY/Rrxeu2MKRSc/s800/DSCN0638.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/KnittinMitchie/SPOD0NRei4I/AAAAAAAAAzE/0PlvwUUYJ_o/s800/DSCN0640.JPG

I have SO many squares that it has taken me 2 pictures to share them all. This is not all of the squares yet. Ben will have one BIG blanket. ;) Thanks to the HUGE box of 18 squares :) The green ball with the needles will be the letter B once I get it done.

Mitchie,

Looking good.....:hug:

Love, Grandma

KnittinMitchie
10-14-2008, 04:42 PM
I got squares from ClairGrandmaMaria and Bluwyg2

sgtpam
10-15-2008, 07:07 PM
I mailed a square to you today. I can't wait to see the finished product.

blueygh2
10-16-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm so glad my squares arrived in time. I was already concerned they might not arrive in time.... :)
Impatient to see the result

KnittinMitchie
10-16-2008, 03:16 PM
I got more squares from auburn today. Her friend is SO generous and has crocheted some lovely squares

KnittinMitchie
10-17-2008, 08:15 PM
I got squares from Dangles and Sgt Pam today.

Thank you

Dangles
10-18-2008, 01:49 AM
Goodie, they got there :)

KnittinMitchie
10-20-2008, 02:14 PM
I will start working on Ben's blanket this week once I know all of the squares are here. If you have mailed squares and didn't tell me PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know so I can plan for your squares.

sgtpam
10-20-2008, 02:21 PM
This is all about sharing....right? So, who wants to share the pattern for the squares with the hearts? :heart:

....'specially the one with multiple hearts.......;)

Dangles
10-20-2008, 06:23 PM
@ sgtpam :)

I can't wait to see what you do with all those squares, Christine. I am sure it will be absolutely beauuuuuuuutiful :hug:

KnittinMitchie
10-20-2008, 06:52 PM
I got squares from Raeinwaknits and Morgan. Thank you.

figaro
10-20-2008, 07:45 PM
The ones with the big heart in the middle was mine, let me look and see where I got it from............

found it! This ladies blog is a nice one, she has a lot of good patterns along with this one!

http://wishingiwasknitting.blogspot.com/2008/02/two-hearts-as-one-dishcloth.html

KnittinMitchie
10-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Tomorrow I am going to start working on the blanket. Speak up if you have mailed me squares and I have not posted that I got them.

KnittinMitchie
10-28-2008, 02:04 PM
I have come up with a layout and since I was asked yesterday what it will look like I'll post pics to share. There will be 2 blankets. If I have missed anyone's squares I do apologize now. There where soo many I tried my best to keep them all in one spot.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/KnittinMitchie/SQdT60e487I/AAAAAAAAA1c/NXqIgeAN680/s800/DSCN0665.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/KnittinMitchie/SQdT7ergXvI/AAAAAAAAA1k/CjBirE02OSw/s800/DSCN0667.JPG

ClaireGrandmaMaria
10-28-2008, 08:29 PM
I have come up with a layout and since I was asked yesterday what it will look like I'll post pics to share. There will be 2 blankets. If I have missed anyone's squares I do apologize now. There where soo many I tried my best to keep them all in one spot.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/KnittinMitchie/SQdT60e487I/AAAAAAAAA1c/NXqIgeAN680/s800/DSCN0665.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/KnittinMitchie/SQdT7ergXvI/AAAAAAAAA1k/CjBirE02OSw/s800/DSCN0667.JPG

Mitchie,

All I can say is looking good...A BIG HUG to you for doing the lay out and sewing.:hug: :thumbsup:

KnittinMitchie
10-29-2008, 02:18 PM
I have a good start on the smaller blanket. seaming along the cast on/off edges in a little harder than doing the sides.

FYI: I have queen size bed just to give you an idea of how big the blankets actually are.

blueygh2
10-29-2008, 05:54 PM
A queen size bed for a queen :D
There's a lot of green in there. And I have harder times crocheting around cast on / off edges as well.
It's normal I guess.

Good luck!

Raeknitsnwa
11-03-2008, 05:24 PM
I am glad you got my squares in time