PDA

View Full Version : I think our Pup is sick....

Hygiene Mama
08-28-2008, 06:45 AM
I'm not really sure, but Maxx has not eaten anything all day, yesterday. My dh said he vomitted in the a.m. and there was hardly anything in his stomach. Do dogs get sick, often? I'm not sure if I should take him to the vet or not. He's been pretty lethargic and dh said when I let Maxx outside, he laid down and whined a little. I'm worried there's something really wrong with him. Do I take him to the vet today?

sue in canada
08-28-2008, 08:04 AM
I think you should take him to the vet. As you know nothing of his background, better to be safe. Hope he is feeling better soon.

miccisue
08-28-2008, 08:14 AM
Yep, to the vet he would go! I've had Goldens for years now, and you never know what they'll get into. He may have been gnawing on something that made his tummy upset, may be his food, maybe he drank some crummy water or something (ours used to do this when she'd go to my in-laws and get in their creek - heaven only knows what kind of nasty little parasites grow in there, especially if there's been little rain and it's not running very fast!) It doesn't mean it's super serious, but they may be able to give him something to ease the nausea as well as find out what's causing it. Whatever you do, though, remember the big concern is dehydration.....if necessary the vet can give him IV's to keep him hydrated. If he's vomiting, that's always a concern.

auburnchick
08-28-2008, 08:34 AM
I agree...take him in. Animals are like children...when they start acting out of the norm, something is just not right.

You never know...he might have a blockage of some sort. His refusal to eat or go to the bathroom might signify that things aren't moving like they ought to.

Please keep us posted. I have three dogs of my own and have a very soft spot in my heart for dogs...and animals...

:hug:

dustinac
08-28-2008, 09:02 AM
I would call your vet and ask them...they prolly will tell you to bring him in or they may tell you to try something first.

My cat was sick but when I called them and told them her symptoms they told me that was something common in cats and to ride out the storm...it was a gross icky storm with me calling the Vet daily with now she is doing this...but she did get over it and has been fine since...:thumbsup:

saracidaltendencies
08-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Definitely take him to the vet. It could even be worms. When we adopted our first dog, he was so healthy and playful, then, after about 2 weeks, he got incredibly lethargic, wouldn't eat, and, he was losing weight. I can't remember if he had any vomiting, but, it was obvious there was something wrong. We took him to the vet and he was dehydrated and they had to give him an IV to rehydrate him. It turned out he had tapeworm. They gave him a shot, and, gave us medicine to take home. Within a few days, there was drastic improvement!

I hope it's nothing serious for your Maxx! :hug:

ecb
08-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Ditto
I almost lost my dog this summer to pancreatitis
started w/ Diarrhea, then vommitting
then lethargy
then she almost died in our arms

she is ok now, but will take a while to get her back up to her healthy weight

ecb
Wow, this was my one thousandth post

Cynamar
08-28-2008, 10:28 AM
It could be almost anything. He might have eaten something that didn't agree with him or he might have something serious like a parasite. Fleas are so extremely bad this year and swallowing one can cause tapeworms. My Abby had that in the spring. YUK!

momwolf
08-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Take him in.

Wanda Witch
08-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Definitely, into the vet he goes ASAP. I never down-play when I call for what I feel is an emergency situation and they always work you in.

The.Knitter
08-28-2008, 11:56 AM
How's your pup now? Mine seems to have a stomach bug. He has diarrhea. This started two days ago and he has had several "accidents" in the last couple of days. Today I am going to feed him boiled rice and see if he will eat that. If he still has diarrhea, then he goes to the vet tomorrow.

Did you take Maxx to the vet? What did the vet say?

I hope he's feeling better soon.

Debkcs
08-28-2008, 03:38 PM
I worked for a vet while in school. This sounds like worms, but you never know with a young dog, it could be anything. Have you been to the vet yet?

ecb, congrats on your 1,000th post!

Jan in CA
08-28-2008, 03:48 PM
ecb, congrats on your 1,000th post!

1000... heh..I have a few more... :shifty:

I hope Maxx is okay!

laikabear
08-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Has he had any vaccines? I'd definitely take him in. Young animals can't go as long as adults without getting seriously dehydrated from diarrhea and vomiting, even if the original cause was just "something he ate."

If he hasn't had any vaccines, though, that could be parvo. :(

InterNette
08-29-2008, 10:08 AM
ALways better safe then sorry rule. Has he had a parvo shot? Best get him looked at, you never know if he ate something that he shouldnt have or what not. Good luck for you both.

Cynamar
08-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Parvo is bad and they can pick it up from the sidewalk if they aren't vaccinated.

Dangles
08-29-2008, 05:16 PM
:sad: oh no. take Maxx to the vet. keep us posted on how he's doing. :hug:

vaknitter
08-29-2008, 07:39 PM
How is Maxx doing? Our younger dog got really sick once throwing up, diahhrea, not eating or drinking etc and she was fine after a day or two of rest. Our older dog on the other hand usually ends up on IV fluids when he does this sort of thing.