PDA

View Full Version : Knitting in Schools Grant Help

kristaj
08-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Another second grade teacher and I are planning on writing a grant so that we can start an after school knitting club. To receive this grant we will need to be able to base it on benefiting students academics. If any one knows of research that shows how knitting can help students with their academics we would appreciate any info we can get. Thanks for any help.

Krista

lactosefree
08-30-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm not sure about knitting and academics, but have you checked out Donors Choose (http://www.donorschoose.com) as a possible funding option?

gingerbread
08-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Couldn't you do it on Math for knitting. Just a thought.

:waving:

figaro
08-30-2008, 02:57 PM
I think there is a home study type school that teaches its students to knit, that it helps in all sorts of ways for learning, and I think someone here might know the name of it, I am racking my brain trying to think of it. Will keep on trying to remember it for you...:wall:

edited to add:
I have not remember the name yet but I googled "knitting in school" and this came up, not sure if you can use it but it might be a good reference for you
http://www.catbordhi.com/documents/KnittinginSchools.pdf

gargoylelib
08-31-2008, 02:26 AM
It seems that math is an obvious choice here. Working out gauge and
sizing and using stitch patterns that are a multiple of x or a multiple
of x plus y all require some basic math.

Reading comprehension is also required. You can't do knitting
patterns if you are unable to read and follow directions! :)

Physically, you are developing hand-eye coordination.

I think also there is some problem solving abilities required. You
can't always find the exact yarn so must substitute. Or you want to
make a size not presented in a pattern or somehow adjust the
pattern. You have trouble getting gauge and need to play around
with needle sizes and tension. Seems like all those things require a
fair bit of logical problem solving.

Just a few ideas!
Libbie

vaknitter
08-31-2008, 08:22 AM
Not sure where to find any studies about it, but talking to my patients that attend Waldorf schools it sounds like knitting is part of their curriculum. Had one patient tell me they had to learn to knit a hat or scarf before they could move on to read a chapter book. Maybe if you look up Waldorf school curriculums...

My mom's school was thinking about offering knitting or crochetting as an after school activity and before they could consider it too much my mom had to teach knitting/crochetting classes for the teachers !

tarrentella
08-31-2008, 08:48 AM
this is an article relating to knitting health benefits and a school programme that uses it for better hand-eye co-ordination.
http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/0503/25/D01-128659.htm

Im sure if you searched education or psychology journals you would find relevant articles but i did find this page which has a number of links to the womans work on mathematical knitting including some journal articles and links to her book.

Whilst it doesnt specificaly talk about the educational benefits of knitting, it does illustrate very well the scope of knitting in the field of mathematics. Whilst theories of pi and Boy's Surface may be a little advanced for your group (genrally tought in high school), the fact that tknitting can be used to demonstarte these principles will surely help in your claims that they are benificial in other ways.
http://www.toroidalsnark.net/mathknit.html

knitasha
08-31-2008, 09:47 AM
The Montessori schools and the Rudolf Steiner schools also teach knitting to very young students. My 6-year-old granddaughter is learning the knit stitch at a Montessori school in Florida. If you can speak with directors at local Waldorf, Steiner and Montessori schools you might get some firm documentation as to how knitting helps children learn.

I have heard that teachers in these schools find that knitting helps calm kids and teaches them to concentrate -- useful living skills in this jumpy, sound-bite, over-stimulated world. (I just glanced at the column of Smilies next to the window where I'm writing this. All the images are jumping, wiggling, jiggling, bouncing -- exactly what kids get when they watch TV or play computer games. Need to knit something and calm down.)

kristaj
08-31-2008, 11:48 AM
My mom's school was thinking about offering knitting or crochetting as an after school activity and before they could consider it too much my mom had to teach knitting/crochetting classes for the teachers !

We are very lucky at our school. We have numerous teachers who are knitters, so that problem has already been taken care of. Now how many of those teachers we can convince to donate an hour of their time after school once a week is a different story. I suppose how many we need will depend on how many kids we have sign up for the club.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Abbily
09-02-2008, 10:29 AM
What a wonderful idea! I bet if you call a university graduate education program, you can find a prof who might help you. As others have pointed out, there are several education curricula that use knitting, and I am sure there is research out there to support them.

Jan in CA
09-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Great idea! I've seen a few articles before.. this one comes to mind.
http://www.fuzzygalore.biz/articles/fibonacci_seq.shtml