PDA

View Full Version : How Are You Cutting Back These Days?

auburnchick
09-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi y'all!

I, like many of you, am starting to feel the $$ crunch. I'm wondering...how are y'all cutting back? Have you found yourselves cutting out treats and whatnot?

What have you found that's making a significant difference?

I'm thinking about hooking up a clothesline in my garage (I have dogs that would have a field day if the line was outside). We don't use our dishwasher, and I have my air conditioner turned up to 80 most days.

We're not eating out as often...a biggie but not so much now that I've finished school. And now that both kids are at one school, I have one drop stopping, so to speak, which is saving some gas $$.

What are some practical things you are doing?

Thanks for the ideas!

saracidaltendencies
09-05-2008, 09:57 PM
We pretty much cut all corners. We no longer shop at our regular grocery store and have switched to shopping at Aldi for almost everything, I quit buying cigarettes by the pack, I now roll my own, no more fast food at all (we didn't eat fast food much anyway, about twice a month, basically when the food from the store ran out at the end of 2 weeks...lol), though we have 2 vehicles, our truck's gas mileage sucks so hubby has been taking my car to work and we're pretty much back to one car (since I can't pile the kids in car seats in the truck), we applied for the reduced lunch program at my daughter's school since it will save a bit of money, etc. Basically every thing, no matter how small it used to seem has now been cut. It's mortgage/utilities, gas, food, and that's it.

Good thing I went crazy buying yarn when I first started knitting and still have a decent (though dwindling) stash left! :teehee:

Duessa
09-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Well, we have stopped ordering pizza and started going to get those digorno things. I take the bus everywhere I can. We drink kool-aid and off brand pop now, which isn't my favorite measure but it might be encouragement to finally stop drinking pop all together. lol We don't have TV, dropped out land line phone since we got cable internet. We dropped our cell plan down to just unlimited txting and normal calling plan. I started swapping some stuff for yarn to make christmas presents. I guess this isn't much help to you. lol We are poor college kids so we can get by like this. One of the things I know does save money though is taking lunch instead of buying school lunches. My friends kids take there's everyday and it's a lot cheaper for her than buying school lunchs.

vaknitter
09-05-2008, 10:05 PM
HMMM the hubby and I live on my salary and his stipend as a PhD student so we are always cutting back per say. We have always car pooled to work or taken the motorcycle, keep the A/C warm and the heat cool.

I actually read somewhere that a fully loaded dishwasher on medium wash uses less water than washing dishes b/c of all the water running to rinse so we still use our dishwasher but are very careful to make sure it is loaded.

I pack our lunches 4 days a week at work, we don't buy sodas while at work or out shopping and limit the number of coffees we buy during the week. Same thing with dinner out - we limit it to one night a week.

Probably the biggest thing I am being conscious of these days is in grocery shopping. I stock up on things we regulary eat when they are on sale, use coupons, and carefully plan meals to make sure we eat leftovers etc.

That and we have altered our date night. Date night was an agreement btwn us while we were dating that no matter what else was going on we each kept one night a week free for a date with each other. Our plan was to keep this going through our marriage - a night we didn't answer the phone, check e-mail etc. We still try to have nights focused on each other but rather than dinner and a movie out, we rent a movie and open a bottle of wine at home and play card games.

knitgal
09-05-2008, 11:00 PM
The DBF and I recently combined finances. This probably doesn't sound like a big deal, but I have found it's made a huge difference. We sat down and made a budget first and since we're both keeping track of the spending, there's no "extras". We have our own personal accounts, but we only put a certain amount in there a month. The rest goes into our joint "bills" and "savings" accounts. The savings is off limits since we're saving to buy a house, and if one of us buys something from the joint account the other one notices. This has really helped cut our spending, which is great since the DBF is actually terrible with money.

auburnchick
09-05-2008, 11:25 PM
I recently cut our home phone back to the bare necessities. During the summer, I had added call waiting, and I already had caller ID. Cutting both of those out stripped my bill down to a little over $9, compared with the nearly $50 it had crept up to.

We all have cell phones...yes, even my children...and this summer I upped our plan to include data. I'm stuck with this for a while, so I'm trying to cut elsewhere.

I'd love to cut our cable down, but dh would be livid if I cut out the HD during college football season. We'll see, though...

My children are given $15 each, per week, for school lunches. That gets them about three days' worth. I told them when they run out, they have to make their own.

I don't eat lunch because I work through it so I can get in an extra hour and leave early...I only work part-time. That cuts out a huge expense.

I'm getting ready to start paying back student loans...so more number crunching ahead!

Keep the ideas coming! I figure we can all help each other by sharing what we do.

Oh, and my choice to not use the dishwasher is actually from a health perspective. I've ready that it's actually better to not use it...it was in a book or two.

Jan in CA
09-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Hmm... We've been pretty lucky I guess, but I do try to buy generic when I can (some things aren't worth it though), buy large packages of meat and break them up, run full loads of laundry and the dishwasher. We don't eat out often as I prefer to have meals at home most of the time..it's healthier and cheaper.

Sewing Angel
09-06-2008, 01:25 AM
I found a laundry soap at Costco that lasts about 4 months. Its about $11 a jug. So I'm saving a bunch over my previous soap. I have always hung my laundry to dry. Use white vinegar instead of fabric softener. I started making pizza once a week. I also made a sourdough starter to make other things with. We have never really eaten a lot of packaged food, so I'm just looking for sales on meat and veggies. I too buy big packages of meat and divide in meal size portions to freeze. I buy bulk of rice, flour etc and keep in the freezer. Combine errands to save gas. I use DH's car when I can as it gets better mileage than mine. We like to watch movies, so netflix is much cheaper than renting them at the video store. Try to use my cell phone for long distance calls.
We rarely eat out, but I will watch for the better steaks to go on sale, so we can have a treat.

rachael72knitter
09-06-2008, 09:38 AM
I don't drive as much. I give thought to how far a store is and try to consolidate my errands and only go to places close by.

My husband and I don't eat out or get take out. I cook a lot more and I plan my meals around what is on-sale at the grocery store and what will keep really well for leftovers and lunches at school.

Our happy hours with co-workers are now spent at houses with BYOB.

I buy yarn on sale, and I buy it locally so I am not paying shipping or putting it on credit and I am using a lot more stash.

I have always bought my books at Half-Price and my friends and I pass them along.

I die my own roots now, and do my own highlights. Haven't paid to have my color done in a while.

I don't get the paper anymore and have cut back on my cable package.

I wash my own car.

I shut my computer off now instd of leaving it on all the time.

I cancelled my land-line since ppl always called me on the cell anyway.

I buy my clothes of the sale rack and at places like Target. I haven't been to a dept. store in ages.

I buy only the things I need now. No more frivolous spending and hardly any on entertainment; Netflix and knitting is now my steady for weekends in regards to passing time, oh. . .and reading a lot more as well.

Sewing Angel
09-06-2008, 09:47 AM
I forgot one of my others. E-bay! I was recently looking for small pie tins to make pot pie. I had either found disposable or really expensive ones. I bought a dozen nice tin ones for $14 on e-bay.
My DD can only drink pediasure and its really expensive. I have been buying from e-bay for 7 years or so. I have saved any where from $10 - $15 a case. Lots of other specialty and regular items are purchased on there, but only things we truly need. I save on gas and unnecessary trips to town.

Mulderknitter
09-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Both DH and I own our cars. They are old, more than 10 years old, but they run, and there are no monthly loan or payments. I combine errand runs. Yesterday I did all of my errands for the week in a 2 hr stint.

auburnchick
09-06-2008, 01:31 PM
I forgot one of my others. E-bay! I was recently looking for small pie tins to make pot pie. I had either found disposable or really expensive ones. I bought a dozen nice tin ones for $14 on e-bay.
My DD can only drink pediasure and its really expensive. I have been buying from e-bay for 7 years or so. I have saved any where from $10 - $15 a case. Lots of other specialty and regular items are purchased on there, but only things we truly need. I save on gas and unnecessary trips to town.

I would have never thought of buying pediasure on ebay!! Very interesting!

remclave
09-06-2008, 02:49 PM
I am stuck using my car for work as the boss has me run packages to FedEx and drop/pick up mail as well as make whatever deposits there are. Luckily it's a perfect "round" so I don't waste too much gas.

So, with that in mind, I make it a point to stay on that side of town and hit some of the box stores before going home for the day. These are places that I normally don't go because it's otherwise too far out of the way.

Lucy78green
09-06-2008, 03:21 PM
We got a Solar Water heater installed as the price of home heating oil has quadrupled in a year so we don't want to put it on until we have to. It cost a fair whack to put it in, but it's subsidised by our government so we figured it'd pay for itself. The price of petrol (gas) is double what it is in the US here, so we are going to switch our car to a diesel as the mileage is better. Plus since I switched jobs I moved back in with my parents and now I don't see the sense in moving back out again as rent is going up...

stitchwitch
09-06-2008, 04:15 PM
I am cheap, not frugal, just plain cheap! I always have been. When my family needed money they came to me, even when I was a kid. I drive a 1993 car that I bought new, my husband drives a 2003 truck that we just paid off and will keep until the wheels fall off. I save every penny I can and we live well below our means. Rarely do I buy new clothes and if I do it's because I really need them and always they are on the sale rack or from a discount store. I don't get my nails done, I do them myself. I don't get my hair cut I have my husband lop it off when it needs it. I don't smoke, drink or waste my money on things that harm my health. I shop the grocery sales and stock up on things we use. I can't say I'm doing anything new because I've always lived that way since I got married. I came from a family of spenders/wasters and it was nauseating to see the waste. To this day my parents (both in their late 70's) still waste so much money on junk. My mom buys at least 10 new shirts a week and they eat out each day and they live off of social security! I don't get it. Then they gripe because they don't have enough money with the social security and are living check to check but they have a new car and buy new stuff each week.
If anything, I hope this recent economic downturn will be a wakeup call for the people of the US that saving isn't a bad thing and you should live within your means. Way too many people have bought houses, cars and just plain junk with credit or even cash when they could not afford it and now are crying the blues. It's not really their fault, it seems to be the American way now to overspend because you aren't cool or trendy or somebody unless you have more than you can really afford.

auburnchick
09-06-2008, 05:06 PM
You are so right! Unfortunately, it's way too easy to spend with the credit lines that are readily offered. Kudos to the sense of financial responsibility that you learned early on. You're a great example.

:hug:

I just got back from Home Depot, where I purchased a retractable clothes line. I'm going to install it inside of my garage. My dh is not happy about this one iota. I don't care. I have a friend who hangs her clothes to dry all year around. My daughter is also fighting this. I told her that when she starts paying the electric bill, she can do what she wants.

Sorry...I'm frustrated. I seem to be the only one here who is trying.

:tap:

Sewing Angel
09-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Sorry your family is resistant to hanging laundry up. I have always had a clothes line and I really don't like to use the dryer. When it gets really cold or too windy, I have a fold able drying rack that is good for shirts and small things. The towels, sheets etc. have to go in the dryer then.
Hopefully they will come around.
As for buying the pediasure on e-bay, I was surprised when I first found it. I had 2 different sellers that I bought exclusively from for 3 and 4 years (till they no longer sold it) I have a stock right now but will be looking for another supplier in a few months.
I have had to look for more ways to stretch a dollar. I came from a pretty frugal practical family, so I had a head start. After DD was born, I knew I would never be able to work at a regular job, due to the fact she needed so much care. So DH works and my job is to make it go as far as it can. Its not such a bad thing.

tokmom
09-06-2008, 08:42 PM
I hang up clothes in the summer, wash in cold water and full loads only.
Kids take lunch to school, but can buy one day a week.

Our cell phones are a larger expense. No fancy phone, but we have 5 lines. Two are college age students and we can call each other and not have added expenses. I cut my long distance on my land line, since we can call on the weekends to the out of state family and not use minutes.

No more extra's. Ice cream once a week, and it's the cheap stuff.
Generic brands.
Grocery list is made from items on sale. Makes for some interesting dinners.;)
Water at dinner after the first glass of milk.

Errands are combined. If I need an item at the store, I don't go unless it's urgent like T.P. :teehee:

Dh carpools to work.

I shop at thrift stores for pj's for the kids.

A neighbor gave us 3 cords of wood, so we will burn a lot this winter.

I wash the cars, no more car wash.

We never go to movies and we eat at home, except once a year.

No cable or dish, just rabbit ears.

Knitting_Guy
09-06-2008, 08:49 PM
I've just stopped wasting money on non-essentials and limit myself to just spending on wine, women, and song.

Well, I do waste a little bit on bills.

Sewing Angel
09-06-2008, 09:27 PM
You're too funny! I needed a good laugh. Oh and maybe a glass of wine.

lelvsdgs
09-06-2008, 10:14 PM
I've had to cut drastically back when my DD moved out because I lost the child support so I've been working up to this for awhile.

When my car was totalled I have never been able to replace it due to lack of funds so I take the bus everywhere now. It's $43 a month for unlimited rides. My grocery bill is also cut in less than half now that I live alone as has my gas/elecric bill. I get to have a free lunch on Mondays and Wendesdays as one of the perks of working at the correctional facillity here--don't laugh, the food is good and it saves me time and money!

Other than that, if I can't pay cash for it, I don't buy it. You all have some great tips!

kristaj
09-06-2008, 10:47 PM
We too only run errands one day a week or less all on the same day so we are not wasting gas. We wait to see my mom on Sundays at church instead of driving the 20 miles to go see her. We buy bulk for things we use all the time. We are also putting up a clothesline so that our gas bill will hopefully start coming down (we have a gas dryer). We all take our lunch to work, but the kids get to eat in the cafeteria one day a week. We do not have long distance on our home phone and only call friends and family on weekends during free minutes time. Try very hard not to go out to eat (hard at beginning of school year since DH and I are both teachers and are worn out right now). Don't pay for babysitters. If Nana or Grandma can't do it we don't go. We use Netflix, I knit from my stash if at all possible, and all four of us read for our entertainment. If it is even slightly cool enough we open up the house and don't run AC. This summer our theater offered a movie deal once a week for 50 cent movies, we turned off the AC at home and went to a very chilly movie theater. DH not only teaches full time, but also works at a grocery store on weekends, and if either one of us can get a stipend for a workshop or teacher conference we go.

Jan in CA
09-06-2008, 11:50 PM
I've just stopped wasting money on non-essentials and limit myself to just spending on wine, women, and song.

Well, I do waste a little bit on bills.

What about YARN!? :teehee:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-07-2008, 12:49 AM
There's a really great books series called The Tightwad Gazette, and my XH and I practically wore the books out looking for cheap alternatives and recipes and stuff. Some stuff I do:
Wash ziploc bags, unless they had raw meat in them.
I drink out of the same cup, all the time, and I mostly drink water.
I reuse as much as possible... what's that saying? Use it up, wear it out, make it do, do without.... Something like that. (not that i live by those rules, it just popped into my head).

I never go to movies, unless I'm on a date and he's paying. I don't eat out, unless I'm on a date and he's paying.

I also stopped buying "stuff" ... instead, I spend my money on DOING things. I find that much more rewarding. When I do want to buy something, I either save up ahead of time (like, I'm buying the video game Spore today, since it's been released, but I've foregone starbucks for the last month to do so :) )

Also, I just gave up my independence to move back in with family... that saved me 700 a month in rent and utilities. It's costing a bit more in social life and sanity, but whatever, it's a fair trade.

Knitting_Guy
09-07-2008, 09:43 AM
What about YARN!? :teehee:
Well, that goes without saying :rofl:

Knit4Fun
09-07-2008, 10:23 AM
We've always used coupons but now we almost only buy things that are on sale AND we have coupons for - we usually save between $30-60 per week that way.

Using re-usable bags at the grocery store saves us 5 cents per bag (over a year that saves us over $20 - not bad for a small change in habit).

We get our meat on sale only at Omaha Steak when they have coupons (like now their deal is Buy 1 Get 1 Free) - the meat is often more expensive if it isn't on sale, but at least we know it is high quality and not likely to be contaminated and with the coupons, it comes out even or sometimes less than the store).

We grew some of our own produce this summer (I'd love to have a full garden but we don't have a sunny spot for it with this yard).

We shop at Costco for all our bottled drinks, snacks and paper products.

I used to buy a LOT of tea but I started a thread on Ravelry in the Cuppa Tea group where you post what you'd like to try and if someone else has that kind, they can send you a taste - that's helped me satisfy my good tea addiction without spending a lot of extra money.

I often freeze leftovers if they aren't eaten in a day or two after they've been made - then they become a meal a week or two later.

The kids both pack their lunches (school lunches are usually terrible nutritionally and darn expensive) and if they want to buy lunch, they do it with their OWN money (so they won't).

We stock up on things when they are on clearance after the holiday (e.g. Christmas cards/paper/gifts/decorations/party products). I never buy anything holiday themed until after the holiday anymore.

I have a Christmas/gift closet where I have small boxes for each person I know I am buying presents for (birthday, anniversary, Christmas) and as I buy throughout the year, those boxes are filled up. I am always done with holiday shopping by December 1.

Our credit cards earn us points that we use for travel - we are currently planning a trip to Hawaii next summer where we will use points for our hotel room!

I've learned to knit, sew and make jewelry this year which will come in handy for making gifts instead of buying them.

What a great thread! :yay:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-07-2008, 02:58 PM
I have small boxes for each person I know I am buying presents for (birthday, anniversary, Christmas) and as I buy throughout the year, those boxes are filled up.
What a fantastic idea!!! I'm always seeing stuff, and going "oh, i should get that for ____ for christmas/birthday/whatever ... and then I don't. Maybe i'll put this plan into effect :)

Shandeh
09-07-2008, 04:52 PM
I've always been very frugal, but my hubby is not quite the same. (He has a new car - mine's paid for and rattles wherever I go. :teehee:)

Our food is bought by me, so I control that part. I HATE sending him to the grocery store, because he comes back with cookies, chips, soda, and ice cream. :roll:

We have BASIC cable (about 6 dollars a month), but we get the nicer internet. We have cell phones, but my hubby chose those, so they cost more than I want to pay. :help:

We NEVER go to see movies. We wait until we can rent the movie at our local video store for 2 dollars. Occasionally, I'll find used movies there for sale for a good price.

We don't get the newspaper or subscribe to magazines, because we can read all we want on the internet. (I do subscribe to Interweave Knits, though.....it was a birthday gift from my hubby.)

Occasionally, we buy magazines at Barnes & Noble, but I usually buy my knitting magazines at Hobby Lobby or Michaels or AC Moore with a 40% Off coupon. :wink: Oh! And I buy back-issues of knitting magazines on eBay for a great price.

I'm always scouring consignment shops and thrift stores for clothes, shoes, purses, and knitting stuff. I also look for knitting books at used book stores.

We've had the same dishes FOREVER. When we break a dish or glass, I go to thrift stores to find a replacement.

Whenever I go to retail stores, I always look at the clearance aisle. You never know what you might find there.

We use little packets of drink mix with water. I carry some of them in my purse, and use them in water at restaurants if we ever eat out. I also carry some tea bags, and use them at restaurants by asking for a cup of hot water.

When I go to teach piano lessons, I take a thermos full of coffee along. I also carry a small bag of nuts.

Sometimes, I'll treat myself to a cup of coffee from Starbucks. I get a large coffee with no sugar or cream. I then bring it home, and split it into two cups, adding cream and sugar at home. :thumbsup:

We use coupons too.

Sewing Angel
09-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Any time I buy something on the internet, I do a search for coupons for that retailer. Sometimes I get free shipping, sometimes its $5 off. If I'm going to buy it anyway, its nice to get that little bonus.
I have also signed up for mailing lists to stores I shop at regularly. I use my junk e-mail account for that. Its nice to get a 20 or 40% off an item.

Spikey
09-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Any time I buy something on the internet, I do a search for coupons for that retailer. Sometimes I get free shipping, sometimes its $5 off. If I'm going to buy it anyway, its nice to get that little bonus.
I have also signed up for mailing lists to stores I shop at regularly. I use my junk e-mail account for that. Its nice to get a 20 or 40% off an item.

We do that, too! I buy quite a bit of our household items from Amazon. Fortunately, we have the room to store the bulk items, and their prices are usually better than our local stores.

When ordering a must-have knitting book (can't wait for the new Mason Dixon to arrive!), I find the best-priced non-perishable items that we'll use eventually (like hand soap) and add them on, to make shipping free. Saves on errands, too.

For breakfast and lunch, I take meal bars to work. Drugstore.com usually has great prices when you buy them by the box. I stock up, so usually there is no shipping charge.

DH grows herbs and swiss chard, which can really save a bundle, as he cooks with lots of fresh herbs and they can get $$.

DH drives a 4Runner and I drive a Prius, so we take my car everywhere, which he hates.

Oh, yeah!! How could I forget. All of our kitchen cloths and wash cloths are knitted. No store-bought sponges for us. Since the shipping charge from Peaches & Creme is pretty fixed, when I need double worsted to make an Absorba rug, I go to their clearance section and buy as much as I can of their discounted single worsted to make cloths.

For the holidays this year, everyone is getting felt-them-yourself felted clogs. WOTA was on clearance at knitpicks, so I bought a bundle. Each family member will get clogs and felting instructions, so they can have some fun (and wind up with properly fitting clogs).

Now that our Oddball Baby Blankets group has broken up into regions, I can mail the blankets first class instead of priority, which saves a few bucks on each mailing. Every little bit helps.

kellee0302
09-07-2008, 06:55 PM
I don't own an air conditioner and actually prefer it that way. There are ceiling fans in both bedrooms and dining room. I heat my entire home with wood and always have. I recently had to install an oil furnace, but that was only for home owners insurance purposes, there is no oil in the tank.
I usually only go to work and back, my car does get around 40 miles to a gallon which is very good since I drive 35 miles one way to work. Any thing I need is bought on my way home including gas. I have joined a club/grocery that sells items in bulk and gas is around 6 cents cheaper per gallon.
If I'm home alone, I usually am sitting in the dark, watching tv or will have only one lamp on. We have bought those new bulbs that are better on using electricity.
Only full loads of laundry and cold water. Unfortunately I don't have a clothes line but may be able to talk DH into installing one for me.
Geez, I'm better than I thought I was.
Here's the one my DH hates the most. He buys bottled water, I feel that it's a wasted expense, so I wash out the bottles and refill them from the tap and put them back in the fridge.

dustinac
09-07-2008, 07:12 PM
I always make out our grocery list for 2wks, I use coupons, and if meat is on sale I will stock up.

I've stayed away from Wal-mart 'cause you say you are just going in for groceries but always buy more which costs you more :teehee:

My car is usually only used a few times a week...

I pack dh is lunch...

I don't have a cell phone...DH does but that is covered through his work

We are in OH so don't really need an a/c...we have one upstairs for the kids but lately been trying to just keep the windows open for them...it cools off at night and they are outside during the day.

As for laundry I find if I keep up with the laundry then it does better...if I only have a big load every other day then that's better than always behind and trying to catch up

I'm not one that buys my kids something all the time...so they only get toys for b-days, Christmas, or if they save their money that my mom likes to send them :teehee:

Also, I hit after Christmas sales and usually I end up knocking out all the gifts I would have to purchase, except for the kids and what I knit. During those sales I will also buy things I will need for next season and put up like tape, name tags, etc

We do have directv and JD likes his sports in HD but I don't mind that at all 'cause he is one that will never spend money on himself...it's always us first

We don't eat out often and when we do it's with a coupon

I shop at CVS and double coupons up like crazy...walked out there one day with a couple bags of free things, 2 more coupons, and 1.68 on a GC :rofl: ...

We have been through tighter times where we had nothing but a phone... we don't live as tight right now as some but I'm always worried that something will happen and it will be like that again...so I am a bargain shopper and I love scoring a great deal (just becareful and don't buy it 'cause it is on sale, only buy it if you need it)...

Of course for me, yarn is not a need it's a want...and I try to limit what I buy and trying to work from my stash as much as I can...(my weakness is sock yarn) :oo:

cdjack
09-07-2008, 08:55 PM
When I go to the store, I try and make sure that most of what I buy is found in the perimeter of the store. Pre-packaged, processed food found in the aisles of the store are more expensive.
I only buy two rolls of paper towels a month and use dish towels and rags for everything else.
I only do wash when I have a full load and ,except for towels and sheets, wash everything on cold.
I buy most of my clothes at thrift stores.
I don't go to Starbuck's.

brightspot
09-07-2008, 10:04 PM
I buy my clothes of the sale rack and at places like Target. I haven't been to a dept. store in ages.
Actually, if you watch the sales at J.C. Penny's you can get things for a lot less than at Target. I always bought my girls jeans there when they wore girl's sizes. I just bought my dd a very nice button up sweater for about $10 less than a comparable one at Target. They have sales all the time for 40-70% off.

saracidaltendencies
09-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Oh yeah, I also quit buying paper towels altogether. I buy these things called Handi-Wipes and they come in a pack of 6, I believe. They're very durable, and machine washable. The only time it sucks not having paper towels is when one of our lovely cats decide to throw up all over the place...lol...But, I just use TP for that. But yeah, a pack of 6 lasts an incredibly long time.

I also use only the CFL light bulbs in my house, and, I turn the lights on only at night, or if it's a really overcast day.

ArtLady1981
09-08-2008, 04:15 PM
I use the dishwasher...it uses less hot water than hand washing.

I don't use air-conditioning at all...but this is Washington State.

We eat out at Panera's once a month, if that.

I don't buy cappuccinos at Starbucks. I get the brewed coffee called Pike Street Blend.

Our vacations are within our own State. We drive.

No air travel for business or pleasure in the past 2 years.

We rarely go to the Movies. If we do...we eat dinner beforehand, and don't spend the additional $20 on popcorn and soda.

We go to Barnes and Noble Bookstore, or Borders Books, for a fun thing to do together...I may buy a book(s), but DH rarely finds anything worthwhile to buy.

We have 4 dawgs...a 9-mo old St Bernard, 2 Treeing Walker Coonhounds, and a Shih Tzu. They are our luxury!

PurlyGyrl
09-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Gosh, you guys have given me some great savings ideas.
Things I do to save:
We always have a garden, so I can and freeze alot. I think its been five or six years since I've actually purchased a can of green beans from the store. I only have to buy potatoes in the months of February and March. We grow our own and store them in the root cellar.
I do only full loads of laundry and full dishwasher loads. I try to do those in the evening during off peak hours.
I only do my grocery shopping every two weeks. I could probably make it once a month, but I use a lot of milk in cooking.
My car is a 1996 model, still going strong and has only 99,000 miles on it so you can tell I don't do alot of unnecessary driving.
My two biggest unnecessary (well, I don't think they are unnecessary) expenses: yarn (and I've cut way down on that--trying to use up my stash) and books (I use the lending library and belong to Booksfree.com).

Sunni
09-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Oh, and my choice to not use the dishwasher is actually from a health perspective. I've ready that it's actually better to not use it...it was in a book or two.

Just wanted to pass along that we stopped using our dishwasher as well and then one night I walked into the kitchen to standing water! Thought what the heck is going on and called the plumber. He had to replace the rubber ring in the dishwasher as it had dried and cracked from not using the dishwasher. He said to make sure, no matter what, even if it is only to wash baseball caps, etc. to run it once a week or it will happen again. Just wanted to pass that on so you don't inadvertantly cost yourself more money in the long run.

me: knitting from stash, free online patterns, drive only when necessary, Netflix, Gamefly (for DS puzzle games), sale racks at stores like TJ Maxx, Burlington, AJ Wright, etc. BJ's/Sams Club for things I will always use, if I think of anymore I will share at another time

:)