PDA

View Full Version : guage problem

annerose
09-07-2008, 08:36 AM
HI. I'm working on a sweater that is 2X2 rib throughout. When I knit the guage swatch in stockinette, I did not see that they also wanted me to knit one in the pattern. I'm very far along and now see that it's too small. I knit very tight and have already gone up 2 needle sizes. If I go up any more it will look too loose. Should I rip it all out and just knit it a bigger size? The thought of it is very depressing.

susi
09-07-2008, 09:27 AM
HI. I'm working on a sweater that is 2X2 rib throughout. When I knit the guage swatch in stockinette, I did not see that they also wanted me to knit one in the pattern. I'm very far along and now see that it's too small. I knit very tight and have already gone up 2 needle sizes. If I go up any more it will look too loose. Should I rip it all out and just knit it a bigger size? The thought of it is very depressing.

Unless you wanteds to give the jumper away at the end its to small for you. persopnally if i wasnt planning to give it away whats the point in making something that you cant ever wear. if it was me i'd either give it to charity/a friend or rip it out.

sorry you have gone this far, its sooo frustrating when that happens

Knitting_Guy
09-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Frogging is part of knitting. If it's too small frog it and start over. Just chalk it up as a test run.

brittyknits
09-07-2008, 10:01 AM
You have my sympathies!-- I hate even ripping back one row, let alone an entire piece. But I really, really would do it. It's going to be unuseable in its current form, and you'll be so much happier if you just pull it all out and start again. :frog: :waah:

lynn893
09-07-2008, 10:02 AM
I agree with the above users.

If you continue knitting as it is now, you'll never wear it.
I would just start over 'after' doing a gauge in the 2x2 rib so that you can do the correct size needed for you.

Good luck!

(Also, instead of ripping the work you've done already, there is a thread on here on how to just roll the piece you wanted to frog, and knit from it. This causes less wear & tear on your yarns as they don't get pulled and stretched when being re-wrapped into a ball - you just knit of the old project)