PDA

View Full Version : THIS didn't work!

GrandmaLori
09-07-2008, 11:43 AM
I was doing "The Lucy Bag" this week, and for fun I decided to make spiral stripes around it, with the yarn carried across the back of each stripe. I knew it was experimental, since it was to be a felted bag. As you can see, it didn't work well at all. The strap and top and bottom areas aren't striped, and they felted much differently than the striped area. haha. I'm not sad, it was just a trial anyway, and I had purchased the yarn on a clearance.

Jan in CA
09-07-2008, 12:30 PM
:teehee: It still looks pretty cool!

When you carry the yarn across the back you are essentially doing fair isle which creates a pretty dense fabric because the yarn is doubled up. That's why the single strand fabric felted differently. When you felt you need a pretty loose fabric which is why you use those big needles. If you want to do any fair isle felted project you'd need to knit very loosely and make sure the yarn you are carrying isn't pulled tight at all.

If you don't think you'd ever use the bag there other things you can do with it. ;)

Mystery_Gyrl
09-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Its still pretty interesting, even if it didn't turn out as planned.
Katrina

Debkcs
09-07-2008, 01:53 PM
The expression "nothing ventured, nothing gained" comes to mind. Now you know what not to do next time. You could always use that bag to hold a few toys for the little one, mine has the 'Booga' bag I tried. :nails:

MerigoldinWA
09-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I think stipes would be hard to get loose enough to felt the same way as the other areas. I think it turned out kind of cool though. Just pretend that was exactly what you wanted. :-)

SassieCassie
09-07-2008, 03:39 PM
OMG lol I love it, I would buy it! I looks like flames and it's super cute!
I am a younger knitter (19) And I think its great!
I'm not a pink kinda person but I love it!:heart:
Cassie

dustinac
09-07-2008, 05:25 PM
:hug: I'm sorry it didn't turn out like you planned...it still looks cool!

PurlyGyrl
09-10-2008, 04:47 PM
It may not have turned out as you wished, but its still cool!:thumbsup:

laikabear
09-11-2008, 10:20 AM
That does look cool!

I think they say light colors may not felt as well (it looks like the dark felted more, no?).

I did an intarsia bag (skull tote) in a dark pink and lighter yellow and the colors felted evenly, but I had made some of the "floats" too tight. The bag was getting wrinkly so I had to cut the floats after I felted it a little bit, and then sew in a lining to cover the spaghetti! :)

clb1968
01-12-2009, 12:09 AM
It is a really cute bag and even though it did not turn out quite the way you wanted,you will know what changes to make the next time you make one.

TEMA
01-12-2009, 01:26 AM
Hmmmm....
Although it may not have worked on a felted bag, I'm sure it would work just fine on an unfelted one... The stripes are quite pretty.
TEMA:knitting:

ritaw
01-12-2009, 05:11 AM
Looks lovely to me . I like it . :)

mwhite
01-12-2009, 10:09 AM
I have done the same thing! Wonder if you could tie off each yarn join?

WandaT
01-12-2009, 10:32 AM
I think it looks pretty cool too, even though it didn't turn out like you thought it would. You still learned something from the project and that's a positive thing!

DJBug
01-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Even though it didn't turn out the way you wanted, I think it looks really cool; I actually like how it looks almost as if the stripes are twisting or something.....

linknit41
01-12-2009, 05:50 PM
has anyone made (or tried to make) the Red Hot Necklace from the first One Skein Wonders book? two of us have tried it over and over and over, and cannot get it to work. we even looked to see if there was an errata listed--and there wasn't. the first row of the pattern we came out with either 11 or 12 stitches, and cannot imagine what we are doing wrong. any ideas would be appreciated. i don't know how to link to pattern so here it is: multiple of 3stitches +4. cast on13 sts. Row 1: K2, *slip 1, K2tog, psso, yo twice; rep from * to last 2 sts, K2. Row 2: K2, *P1, K1 into the double yo, P1; rep from * to last 2 st, K2. Row 3: Knit. rep these 3 rows for pattern. the only thing i can think of is i'm not doing the 'yo twice' correctly, but no matter how i try that, can't figure out how to k1 and purl 1 into it. hope this makes sense to someone- Thanks , linknit41

KnitClickChick
01-12-2009, 08:46 PM
I think it looks pretty neat!

Magz11
01-13-2009, 07:57 PM
I think the bag still looks wonderful. Nobody will notice, hopefully. It's great, even if it didn't turn out quite like how you were hoping for. Better luck next time!

ArtLady1981
01-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Ya know, I really like the mistake! It is very fluid! Like vanilla-strawberry swirl ice cream cone! If you hadn't said a word...I would have thought this Lucy Bag was an 'on purpose' design element! Great work! Keep making those good mistakes! :teehee:

linknit41
01-15-2009, 08:03 PM
after working several more times, i figured out my mistakes, and now have GOT IT!!! linknit41

Marria
01-16-2009, 12:00 AM
I like it! It's all swirly and cool and stuff. :) Very unique, and the colors are great. Maybe it didn't work quite like you expected, but it worked.

knitkid11
01-19-2009, 10:29 PM
I love it!:muah: I'm not a pink fan either but, I would buy that!You know if you don't like it sell it on ebay, make something off it!:yay:

JB4Knitting
01-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Well, I think it's lovely regardless.