PDA

View Full Version : knitted ummmm, monthly things for women

stitchwitch
09-07-2008, 05:39 PM
I can't stop laughing! :roflhard: I guess this is one way to save a few bucks a month. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=82588.0;topicseen

Crycket
09-07-2008, 05:54 PM
I am not sure...part of me thinks it is a great idea...the other part of me is completely repulsed!

Ronda
09-07-2008, 06:15 PM
I don't even have words...

Sewing Angel
09-07-2008, 06:27 PM
I agree with Crycket! I hate throwing things away, I recycle as much as I can, but I don't know about this.

sue in canada
09-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Makes me so glad that I don't even have to consider these.

kellee0302
09-07-2008, 06:38 PM
recently saw a comment about going green and femine hygiene products. I believe the link was gladrags.com.
I'm all about recycling but this is going too far for me.

cdjack
09-07-2008, 07:26 PM
How odd... The look like cat toys to me. Just add some little eyes and you've got a toy mouse.

Doodknitwit
09-07-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't even have words...

geezzzzzzzzzzzzz :eyes:

GinnyG
09-07-2008, 09:21 PM
:passedout: :passedout: :passedout: :passedout: :passedout: :passedout:
OMG

Becky Morgan
09-07-2008, 09:35 PM
I was thinking pads, which *can* be washed and bleached...but uhhhhh.....
Suddenly menopause doesn't sound so bad!

saracidaltendencies
09-07-2008, 10:15 PM
OMG!!!! I was SO going to post tonight asking if anyone had any patterns for something like this because, well, it happened to me tonight and I have no money, and no necessities. I ended up calling my mom and dad to ask if I could borrow some money to go to Walgreen's so I'm hooked up now but I am totally bookmarking this pattern :teehee: Desperate times call for desperate measures, huh?

Puddinpop
09-07-2008, 10:53 PM
This makes me appreciate not living in the old days, before disposable came to be.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Wow, this is an awesome idea! I read the whole thread... they were talking about UV rays helping to kill bacteria, so I pictured my clothesline out back with little tampons clipped on, swaying in the breeze. :roflhard:

lelvsdgs
09-07-2008, 11:46 PM
:shock:
I can't imagine this being practical for someone who has a very heavy flow and works away from home...
If those factors don't exist, I suppose they would be more economical...

Debkcs
09-08-2008, 01:37 AM
I have a lot to say about this topic. First of all though, this comment from cdjack had me :roflhard:

How odd... The look like cat toys to me. Just add some little eyes and you've got a toy mouse.
:roflhard: :rofl:

This doesn't gross me out; the ladies just a few generations before us used to wash out the cloths they used. After all, it's a naturally healthy occurence each month and it's from our own bodies.

Having said that, I would worry about some who wouldn't wash them out well enough. I took care of several women with toxic shock syndrome in the 1980's. Not a pleasant thing to consider.

rachael72knitter
09-08-2008, 05:37 AM
Well who has time for that? I have about five mins to get to the bathroom since I teach, and I can't imagine standing at the sink to wash one of those out, or putting it in a baggy to take home.

They also look uncomfortable- the knits and the purls I mean.

Yeah- no. This is one way I wouldn't go green. I'm glad for the little luxuires we have in the 21st century.

miccisue
09-08-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm past all that, but all I can say (when thinking a couple of years when I would have been "involved") is OH ICK!!!!!!!!!

Besides the fact that they look horribly uncomfortable (and are missing the handy-dandy insertion tool which always was a blessing to me), I doubt that they would have been sufficient for me on my heaviest days.

As for washing the cloths back in the day......well, they weren't INSIDE your body, to me that makes a huge difference.

I'm gldad I hadn't heard about these and the pressure to be "green" before the change hit! (And no way would I use them!!!)

stacyk9
09-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Umm, no!

The.Knitter
09-08-2008, 09:43 AM
I guess this is the first time in the last... ohhh about two years now, that I can say there is something positive about menopause and this would be it! Ewwww ick!!!

Sunshine's Mom
09-08-2008, 10:31 AM

:roflhard:

That's gross and makes a whole other load of laundry that I just don't need. Cotton and cardboard will biodegrade in the landfill, wont they? But using water in order to wash and reuse these seems a waste of resources. Besides, they probably won't be the same after a washing. Or you have to throw out the insides and wash the outsides?

Puddinpop
09-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Oh Hilde, you need help!!!!:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Jan in CA
09-08-2008, 12:55 PM
:noway: I seriously doubt they would be um.. leak proof. And washing them... ewwwww.

Go with generic, Demonica. :teehee:

ETA: I just had a thought..what do you do with the used ones when you are out shopping, going out to dinner, at work, etc?? Can you imagine washing one out in the sink of a public restroom?:ick:

heatherg23
09-08-2008, 01:14 PM
That's disgusting. They're actually serious about that. How non-hygenic.

vaknitter
09-08-2008, 01:29 PM
While I admire the ingenuity....and I am all for going green..... I just don't see trying this for so many reasons. I would never feel like they were clean enough and would worry about TSS and as other said, what are you going to do, collect them in a plastic bag all day while out and about?

I am so glad to live in an age of disposables.

Spikey
09-08-2008, 03:28 PM
If you search for the thread about the Diva Cup and Luna Pads, you can find a more...uh...realistic re-usable product. I haven't used tampons in years. It has more than paid for itself several times over already.

nephthys8
09-08-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm all for going green, but I love my tampons WAY too much... especially on heavy-flow days.

BinkyKat
09-08-2008, 04:38 PM
recently saw a comment about going green and femine hygiene products. I believe the link was gladrags.com.
I'm all about recycling but this is going too far for me.
:teehee: my dad used to tell us as kids to "get your glad rags on" before church or whatever...it meant those clothes one puts on for special occasions that make you happy (ie, christmas, birthday party, etc)
I agree, I am all about saving the earth, but c'MON! I draw the line at washing THOSE out....cloth diapers maybe but will exhaust other options first.:ick:

susi
09-08-2008, 04:57 PM
OMG that is grose. i try to re use recycle etc but thats just a huge huge no no for me

did make me laugh though (not sure it should have) :aww:

BinkyKat
09-08-2008, 05:00 PM
i don't even like being told not to flush them (apparently they have been causing plumbing problems here at work), but i am the rebel...:oops:
i'm not ready to go all "back in pioneer days" with feminine hygiene!:shrug:

mwhite
09-08-2008, 06:11 PM
While I admire the ingenuity....and I am all for going green..... I just don't see trying this for so many reasons. I would never feel like they were clean enough and would worry about TSS and as other said, what are you going to do, collect them in a plastic bag all day while out and about?

I am so glad to live in an age of disposables.

EXACTLY! Nope, nah and no thanks.... This can't possibly be safe and sanitary...besides look at all those tiny fibers on your yarns...ANY YARN!!!

BinkyKat
09-08-2008, 06:29 PM
i know lots of people love the diva/moon cups...super duper.
but, i'm not about rinsing that kinda stuff out, whether at home or away. bad enough to deal with leakage...that's my limit.

reminds me of when my mom got her own apt. when my parents seperated. she had had a hysterectomy when i was a toddler so she never had this stuff in the house until i hit puberty. she said NO to tampons and that a girl has to go to the dr. first before she could use those up there.
I thought she was full of baloney so when i got to "move in" to the bathroom she and I shared, the first thing i did was go to walgreens and buy the biggest count box of tampons i could get for my very own! nah nah nah! :teehee:

feministmama
09-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Nearly all major brand tampons contain synthetic fibers (which are conducive to the bacteria which cause toxic shock) and go through a chlorine (http://forums.obgyn.net/womens-health/WHF.9810/0511.html#) bleaching process (chlorine is highly carcinogenic).

Using organic cotton that you make yourself is healthier for your body.

The billion dollar tampon industry has apparently succeed in making women afraid of thier bodies and leaving the knowledge of our bodies up to health professionals.

I think making our own products gives us control over our own bodies. We wipe babies bums and deal with blood with pads and tampons anyway. We pull nasty things out of clogged sinks and take out garbage. There are lots of gross things out there. Our bodies shouldn't be considered one of them.

Please, love your bodies. :heart:

Crycket
09-08-2008, 06:44 PM
If you search for the thread about the Diva Cup and Luna Pads, you can find a more...uh...realistic re-usable product. I haven't used tampons in years. It has more than paid for itself several times over already.

Yeah...I had a fellow Girl Guide leader who said the Diva cup worked well....and I was really thinking about the Luna pad....I really like the idea of the pad...

I think it is what everyone else said....no applicator, and horribly uncomfortable looking...

If it were made with lace weight or crochet cotton...perhaps there would be hope in it...but not as is....not for me anyway!

rachael72knitter
09-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Nearly all major brand tampons contain synthetic fibers (which are conducive to the bacteria which cause toxic shock) and go through a chlorine (http://forums.obgyn.net/womens-health/WHF.9810/0511.html#) bleaching process (chlorine is highly carcinogenic).

The billion dollar tampon industry has apparently succeed in making women afraid of thier bodies and leaving the knowledge of our bodies up to health professionals.

I think making our own products gives us control over our own bodies. We wipe babies bums and deal with blood with pads and tampons anyway. We pull nasty things out of clogged sinks and take out garbage. There are lots of gross things out there. Our bodies shouldn't be considered one of them.

Oh I think the tampon thing was just born out of convenience. Its Massengil and other douche companies that cause women to not love their bodies.

I certainly don't love my period though.

miccisue
09-08-2008, 07:22 PM

We DO love our bodies....that's why the general consensus is "no thanks".

cindycactus
09-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Thank you God, I am way passed using these products. I would vote with the ones that say Ewwww! :fingerwag:

Puddinpop
09-08-2008, 10:31 PM
I had a friend that said when she was in school, her mother would not buy her girl's feminine products, so she had to make her own pad from rags and wash them to use again. Her mother could afford them, but refused to buy anything like that for them. That woman was a real winner. My friend was so messed up because of her mother. She had problems because of the way she treated her.

Jan in CA
09-08-2008, 10:38 PM
I had a friend that said when she was in school, her mother would not buy her girl's feminine products, so she had to make her own pad from rags and wash them to use again. Her mother could afford them, but refused to buy anything like that for them. That woman was a real winner. My friend was so messed up because of her mother. She had problems because of the way she treated her.
:noway: I will never understand some parents. I would have gotten a babysitting job. Sheesh!

lelvsdgs
09-08-2008, 11:22 PM
I have such a heavy flow that these seem impractical. And as far as TSS, I change mine so often it isn't a problem. I have to use both pads (yes mulitples) and tampons and still have to change them out every hour or so. Yeah, were looking at a hysterectomy pretty soon it's getting so bad.
I figure if this is something you want to do go for it but no thanks for me.

scout52
09-09-2008, 01:18 AM

:noway: I will never understand some parents. I would have gotten a babysitting job. Sheesh!

Ditto that Jan!! What a horrible mother!! I definitely would have gotten a babysitting job. (In fact I did at 11!!)

Onto the pattern. uh eww!! no applicator. large gauge yarn. looks mighty uncomfortable. I'll pass. I like 21st century products.

Simply_Renee
09-09-2008, 04:28 PM
If these were pads I would totally try them.

Reminds me of some knitted hair curlers I saw once!

stitchwitch
09-09-2008, 05:13 PM
I think the colored ones are quite pretty. I think I'd have to add some beads or sequins to mine though just to make them special. :roflhard:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-09-2008, 06:02 PM
:roflhard: that will *certainly* add to their appeal.

saracidaltendencies
09-09-2008, 09:17 PM
:roflhard: Indeed!!

lelvsdgs
09-09-2008, 10:04 PM
If these were pads I would totally try them.

I agree with this. I'd be much more inclined to use these. I know there are patterns out there for these on Craftster as well.

knitpurlgurl
09-12-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm all for reusables.. but ewwwww. And the comment that someone left on that thread about washing them at the end of the week.. At the END of the week. Gag me. I can appreciate organics and reusing materials but this is just to yucky for me.

Jax3303
09-12-2008, 05:30 PM
I'll stick with my Diva Cup.

sabrinasmom
09-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Got the Lion Brand newsletter today. One article was cat toys-a can of sardines. Guess what the sardines resemble?? :roflhard:

stitchwitch
09-12-2008, 06:11 PM
I got that too! OMG!:roflhard: