PDA

View Full Version : A Pleasant Morning Sight

Knitting_Guy
09-08-2008, 04:05 PM
When I walked outside this morning I was pleasantly greeted by this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3177/2840947478_d07d196fda.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3153/2840113225_3137b8271c.jpg?v=0

I guess it bloomed over night.

LOL I just realized that I spelled it 'site' instead of 'sight'. Spending too much time on the Linux forums.

Sewing Angel
09-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Its beautiful! Is it some type of lily? Living in NM we can't always grow such exotic looking flowers. The ferns are gorgeous! I have tried to grow them in the house, but they never look that good.

PurlyGyrl
09-08-2008, 04:17 PM
That's lovely.

However, at first glance, it reminds of a monster from a 1950's really bad black and white sci-fi movie-:teehee:

Yep, I watched way too much t.v. as a kid. :roflhard:

Knitting_Guy
09-08-2008, 04:22 PM
It's some variety of lily although I don't know exactly which.

Yeah, it does sort of look like a tentacled monster LOL

saracidaltendencies
09-08-2008, 04:56 PM
How pretty! Kind of reminiscent of the Ghost Orchid.

bambi
09-08-2008, 05:11 PM
That is a very pretty lilly! I wonder what it is?

Bambi

BinkyKat
09-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Very cool!
I might add I admire your appreciation for such things KG. I see some fauna out my bathroom window that makes me smile..baby bunnies...pink sunrise, etc. Makes me thankful for eyes and ears!
Thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

Sewing Angel
09-08-2008, 05:53 PM
I looked at some images and it looks like a Hymenocallis palmeri
also know as a spider lily, swamp lily and alligator lily.
What ever it is its beautiful.

Knitting_Guy
09-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Swamp lily! That's it! Thanks, I couldn't remember the name.

Knitting_Guy
09-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Very cool!
I might add I admire your appreciation for such things KG.
I've been an outdoorsman all of my life. I have a great appreciation for nature and all it's wonders. I've been known to just sit in the woods or a swamp for hours just looking and listening.

mks22300
09-08-2008, 06:46 PM
That is the funkiest lily I've ever seen, very cool Mason!

BinkyKat
09-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Isn't that fun? I love to sit on my inlaws porch at the lake and just hear the birds and trees...or on the dock and listen to the water rippling and the occasional loon calling.
Once, on a walk near our house (there's a river a couple blocks away with a golf course next to it), I saw a doe and fawn on the water's edge just before sunset. It was just a few weeks after my dad had passed away and I chalked it up to him saying "howdy" at that moment.
sometimes i think, "oh, i wish i had the camera" but then I think, "nah, i'll just appreciate it for the moment that it is and be grateful."

cindycactus
09-08-2008, 07:43 PM
That is beautiful. I've never seen one of those. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

sue in canada
09-08-2008, 10:17 PM
I have never seen those either. Very different and quite beautiful.

Crycket
09-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Kinda like my grandmas garden...she is funny...she will plant stuff and have no idea what it is, and it won't grow for a few years, then all of a sudden out of the blue, some wonderful flower or bush pops up!

Knitting_Guy
09-08-2008, 10:57 PM
After some checking I have found that the correct name of it is a Swamp Spider Lily. Seems appropriate to me.

lelvsdgs
09-08-2008, 11:10 PM
It's beautiful... I can't imagine sitting in a swamp... leeches.:help: .. I always associate swamps with leeches since I saw that movie "Stand By Me"...

Knitting_Guy
09-09-2008, 08:08 AM
It's beautiful... I can't imagine sitting in a swamp... leeches.:help: .. I always associate swamps with leeches since I saw that movie "Stand By Me"...
:rofl:

You can have leeches in any body of water.

Biggest thing to worry about in a swamp is mosquitoes. I always wear repellent even though skeeters tend to not like me much anyway.

dustinac
09-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Very pretty, thanks for sharing...my dad is that way he heads up in the mountains (WV) and will be gone for hours...he just sits up there and watches (he can't hear anything 'cause from the mines he has lost most of his hearing and he won't wear his hearing aids at all) :teehee:

Lucy78green
09-09-2008, 01:58 PM
I was slightly scared at first glance TRIFFID - oh no harmless nice flower

Knitting_Guy
09-09-2008, 02:13 PM

lelvsdgs
09-09-2008, 10:10 PM

You can have leeches in any body of water.

Biggest thing to worry about in a swamp is mosquitoes. I always wear repellent even though skeeters tend to not like me much anyway.

Oh great, now I'm not safe anywhere:help:!

I have to wear repellent because those little buggers love me. There can be ten people outside and I will be the only one they bite... ugh...

Crycket
09-10-2008, 01:35 AM

What is a triffid? I wonder about it everytime I see the Rocky Horror Picture Show...the title song mentions a "triffid that spits poison and kills"

Debkcs
09-10-2008, 05:14 AM
The Day of the Triffids is a post-apocalyptic novel written in 1951 by the English science fiction author John Wyndham That's the easy explanation (from Wiki). There is a whole culture built around these things.

Mason, the Swamp Spider Lily is beautiful. Did you plant it? I have no luck with lillies, inside the house or out.

I have to wear repellent because those little buggers love me. There can be ten people outside and I will be the only one they bite... ugh...

lelvsdgs, I'm the same way. My son says I draw them away so others can enjoy the BBQ. Thanks, Son.

Knitting_Guy
09-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Mason, the Swamp Spider Lily is beautiful. Did you plant it? I have no luck with lillies, inside the house or out.They are quite nice. No, I didn't plant it. The ferns, lilies, and other plants on that side of the house just grown there. It's possible someone planted them a long time ago but they've pretty much gone wild since then. They are indigenous to this area.

Jeremy
09-13-2008, 08:59 PM
I changed the spelling for you. I didn't want you to think you were going crazy.:)

Puddinpop
09-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Mason, when I had to walk around for exercise at the hospital, they had a picture of swamp lillies in the hallway.

Knitting_Guy
09-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Mason, when I had to walk around for exercise at the hospital, they had a picture of swamp lillies in the hallway.

Cool.

The final bloom was open yesterday. Sadly the blooms don't last very long and it's already shriveling this morning.

lelvsdgs
09-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Cool.

The final bloom was open yesterday. Sadly the blooms don't last very long and it's already shriveling this morning.
That's part of what makes those things so special is that they are fleeting and meant to be enjoyed.