PDA

View Full Version : Pattern?

Crycket
09-08-2008, 11:21 PM
I was thinking of doing a pattern on the back of a vest I am starting...

The idea, is a trefoil (Girl Guides) on the back of a blue vest.

Now...I want it to be subtle. It is on Navy blue vest. My first instints were to go with a purl stitch for the pattern bits, the by leaving very little contrast...

but I was wondering...would a Plait stitch or twisted stitch serve me well...or would that be way too subtle. I don't want it to stand out at all...I just want it to be like...I don't know...a hologram...you can only see it from certain angles...

Any suggestions....has anyone tried the plaited stitch or Twisted stitch in such a manner?

knitasha
09-09-2008, 10:21 AM
You should be able to do it Shadow (or Illusion) Knitting, a technique in which the design is visible only from certain angles -- very much like a hologram. It's easy once you get the concept, which is pretty close to mosaic knitting. There are lots of online tutorials (just Google "Shadow Knitting"). The authoritative book on the subject is by Vivian Hoxbro.

Crycket
09-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Not quite the effect that I was looking for...but thank you...now I have a whole pile more knitting to do *smiles*

More just looking to have something subtle....Sort of like embroidering black on black...it is there, you can see it, but it doesn't stand out....

Jan in CA
09-09-2008, 11:00 AM
More just looking to have something subtle....Sort of like embroidering black on black...it is there, you can see it, but it doesn't stand out....

If you want something that subtle I would think just purls in the shape you want on a stockinette background would give you that effect.

Crycket
09-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Yeah...that was my first thought...but I was just wondering if there was one step lower on the subtle bar....

Oh well...I may just work up a small swatch to see if a twisted stitch will do the trick....

cam90066
09-09-2008, 12:32 PM
You could do plaited/twisted but that works up quite stiff so you might notice that area ends up with a smaller gauge (might pull in from the surrounding sts). How large an area would it cover?

cam

Crycket
09-09-2008, 04:11 PM
it is about 6.5 inches square....but it is not a solid pattern...it has gaps in it...I don't know....you do make a good point!

cam90066
09-09-2008, 04:30 PM
How about 'embossing' with dupe st? (Using the same yarn.) As you mentioned, tone on tone... and the dupe st would just make those respective sts set up a wee bit more.

cam

Crycket
09-09-2008, 10:18 PM
That might be an idea too....I will decide when I get to where I am suppose to put said pattern *smiles*