PDA

View Full Version : I just set a dead human

Mike
09-10-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm a bench jeweler. I just had an envelope that said "life" diamond.

I called the account to confirm what I thought. It was someone's dead husband that was turned into a diamond.

I think this is the second dead person I've worked on. It's never as creepy doing it as it seems when thinking about it.

Sewing Angel
09-10-2008, 05:06 PM
I've heard about those. Do they really look like diamonds? I was curious about the hardness and how they would cut.

stitchwitch
09-10-2008, 05:11 PM
I would so do that but my husband is skinny so the diamond would be puny. I'd have to fatten him up a bit to get more carbon. :roflhard:

susi
09-10-2008, 05:12 PM
never heard of them, but omg i cant imagine wanting to wear someone like that. that just sounds kinda creepy to me. says the woman that has her grans ashes in her wadrobe lol

Jan in CA
09-10-2008, 05:16 PM
I've seen this on TV and they are actually pretty and looked pretty normal to me at least from my vantage point. I'm not sure I'd want to do it, but it's cool that they can.

Knitting_Guy
09-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Sorry, but I find the whole idea bizarre and disrespectful of the dead.

Very, very bizarre in fact.

mwhite
09-10-2008, 05:20 PM
I would so do that but my husband is skinny so the diamond would be puny. I'd have to fatten him up a bit to get more carbon. :roflhard:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Mike
09-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Other than the color and clarity both being too perfect you can't tell the difference, not even with a tester.

I think normally humans are blue but now they can make them other colors. This one was yellow and the cut was not that great.

As for disrespect, I don't think anyone who gets them thinks of it that way. It's more of a way to have a memory that lasts forever.
I've always thought of it as being creepy but both times it was just like any other diamond setting, although with a little more pressure because while maybe not a irreplaceable diamond it's not like I can call up and have a replacement sent out next day if it would break.
If people would treat it as just another diamond that would take some of the pressure off me.

I looked into the price before and providing your own carbon to get a man made diamond does not save money over buying a natural diamond.
It's definitely about remembering the dead.

Knitting_Guy
09-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Other than the color and clarity both being too perfect you can't tell the difference, not even with a tester.

I think normally humans are blue but now they can make them other colors. This one was yellow and the cut was not that great.

As for disrespect, I don't think anyone who gets them thinks of it that way. It's more of a way to have a memory that lasts forever.
I've always thought of it as being creepy but both times it was just like any other diamond setting, although with a little more pressure because while maybe not a irreplaceable diamond it's not like I can call up and have a replacement sent out next day if it would break.
If people would treat it as just another diamond that would take some of the pressure off me.

I looked into the price before and providing your own carbon to get a man made diamond does not save money over buying a natural diamond.
It's definitely about remembering the dead.

Yeah, I understand the thought behind it, it's just my personal view that it's just not respectful of the dead. The whole idea is just too weird for me.

Mike
09-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I understand the thought behind it, it's just my personal view that it's just not respectful of the dead. The whole idea is just too weird for me.

You should try the whole idea of breaking someone.

I didn't even like it when a friend gave me the job of making some brass glass frames for the display case he was putting his mother in.

bailsmom
09-10-2008, 08:19 PM
OMG! What if you lost it??!! That would be just awful. I had no idea you could do that, it is odd, but amazing too.

saracidaltendencies
09-10-2008, 09:04 PM
To each his own, but, I don't think I could do that. I mean what if someone came up and admired my ring? Oh, thank you, my husband is beautiful, isn't he? Yeah, that would be waaaayyy too hard for me to deal with.

Duessa
09-10-2008, 09:16 PM
I don't know, It's kind of a cool idea. (says the girl who thinks burials are kind of morbid and creepy and dysfunctional) I mean, it's not much different than me keeping my great grandpa's Lindy star ring. it reminds me of him, it was his. I can't separate the memory of him from the ring so really it might as well be him now. I think, if you have the money, it's not any less weird than putting someone in a couple thousand dollar box incased in cement, bodies pumped full of chemicals, and then bury them under the ground surrounded by other moldering corpese in cement incased boxes, and put a marble stone over their head with their name and date as though that body or anyone more than one generation will care or take care of it. Honestly, when you think about it, it keeps a piece of them close to you and doesn't hold so many creepy and potentially damaging images as burials. Thats just my opinion though! Did you know you can also send someones ashes sent into space, or have a small vial of their ashes set in necklaces and rings and such? I think that is worse.

Crycket
09-10-2008, 09:52 PM
I love this idea soo much....

Especially in a day in age when we will eventually be running out of land mass for burial.

There are only two things about it that bother me...the price (very pricey) and the fact that you are wearing someone....but that idea is very old too....ppl used to make jewerly from hair...and I believe there is mourning jewelry....

Crycket
09-10-2008, 09:53 PM
OMG! What if you lost it??!! That would be just awful. I had no idea you could do that, it is odd, but amazing too.

No different then losing someones ashes I should think....It does happen...*smiles*

Mike
09-10-2008, 10:11 PM
bailsmom, I think you have to buy so many and they make extras so if you lose or break one it can be replaced easier than pulling out the ashes and starting over.

Demonica, I wonder if it's more suited for those who never pass up an opportunity to talk about the dead loved one. It may make others uncomfortable but it seems to help the ones who always want to remember.

Duessa, I'm with you about funerals.

Until I found out the price and the relatively small amount you get I thought it would be cool to have a cremation wake where anyone who wanted could take a diamond (especially for me since that is my job).
But when I found out they're not cheaper than natural diamonds I figured that's not going to happen.

http://www.lifegem.com/ is the place I first heard about it through. But judging by what this one was referred to as there must be more than one company doing it now.

Mike
09-10-2008, 10:14 PM

Especially in a day in age when we will eventually be running out of land mass for burial.

There are only two things about it that bother me...the price (very pricey) and the fact that you are wearing someone....but that idea is very old too....ppl used to make jewerly from hair...and I believe there is mourning jewelry....

That's what got me. Other man made but genuine gems are cheaper than naturals.
I think they're playing on the sympathy to make a buck and the diamond cartels are keeping the prices of man mades high so people don't buy them.

Duessa
09-10-2008, 11:21 PM
None of that would surprise me. I mean, seriously, the whole funeral thing is a cash cow. People won't stop dieing! My aunt recently died and her children (2 daughters and a son) had to raise money for the things they felt they HAD to have at the funeral. Flowers, angel statues, handouts, dvd with pics on it, music, food, candles with her picture on it. All of this was "provided" by the funeral home for a "nominal" increase in price. I have no clue how much they spent but isn't it bad enough they lost a mother? Why can't we have a less expensive more constructive way of dealing with death? Why do we have to run ourselves into bankruptcy for death? it just doesn't make any sense.

saracidaltendencies
09-10-2008, 11:29 PM
I agree. I've decided that when I die, I want to be cremated and have my ashes scattered. If my kids would like to keep some of the ashes, that's fine, but they have to promise me to at least let half of me go to the wind! I'd go crazy spending the rest of my death in a little tightly sealed jar! :teehee: I don't want a big funeral either, not even a *real* funeral...I'd prefer for my family to just have a little get together on their own and be there for each other and not have to worry about funeral costs and all that stuff.

tarrentella
09-11-2008, 05:15 AM
You should try the whole idea of breaking someone.

I didn't even like it when a friend gave me the job of making some brass glass frames for the display case he was putting his mother in.

WHAT!! please tell me you are talking about his mothers ashes not a carefully preserved body in a shiny glass case in the living room!!

My mum keeps threatening to find a taxidermist who will preserve and stuff her body and then put in her will that my brother have to keep looking after her after her death .... im sure shes only joking. well i hope to hell that she is only joking!

Compared to that a diamond seems quite nice.

stitchwitch
09-11-2008, 09:36 AM
When I die I'm going to be taxidermied and posed into the Captain Morgan position so I can be placed in my home's entryway.
Just kidding.
:teehee:

Mike
09-11-2008, 10:01 AM
WHAT!! please tell me you are talking about his mothers ashes not a carefully preserved body in a shiny glass case in the living room!!

My mum keeps threatening to find a taxidermist who will preserve and stuff her body and then put in her will that my brother have to keep looking after her after her death .... im sure shes only joking. well i hope to hell that she is only joking!

Compared to that a diamond seems quite nice.

Yes, her ashes.

laikabear
09-11-2008, 10:28 AM
We used to work with a cremation company that would make the diamonds. Similar price, ~$20,000 for a 1 carat. Uh, that's MORE than a real diamond, isn't it? Not that I'm in the market for one of any kind.

I don't think it's creepy so much as a waste of $. They sell little lockets that you can put a little bit of ashes in. (I don't have one, but I know someone who does). I just want to be cremated & scattered. I guess working with crematory services every day makes it less weird. Burial in the ground is just icky to me.

cftwo
09-11-2008, 10:34 AM
I guess I can see having a diamond being made from a loved one's ashes being very comforting, especially to a long-term partner. After a 40-year relationship, I could imagine it being pretty hard to let go of everything from that person. And jewelry is pretty small. But I think it needs to be a joint decision - someone saying "Honey, what do you think about having my ashes made into a diamond after I die?" or something. I can see some spouses being horrified at the idea of having a diamond (in an eww gross kind of way), and some being comforted by it.

Mike
09-11-2008, 12:59 PM
We used to work with a cremation company that would make the diamonds. Similar price, ~$20,000 for a 1 carat. Uh, that's MORE than a real diamond, isn't it? Not that I'm in the market for one of any kind.

I don't think it's creepy so much as a waste of $. They sell little lockets that you can put a little bit of ashes in. (I don't have one, but I know someone who does). I just want to be cremated & scattered. I guess working with crematory services every day makes it less weird. Burial in the ground is just icky to me.

Yes that is more than a natural diamond unless the natural was flawless and fancy color which the man made is.

I recently set a high grade natural that the guy said went for $20K and it was over 2ct.

Debkcs
09-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Although it brings all kinds of wise cracks to mind, I think the idea very sweet. It's pricey,but sweet. We both want to be cremated, but none of those icky urns. Just scatter me over the ocean. (You have to be careful. Went with some friends, and the wind changed suddenly.)

Everytime I looked at the ring,I'd think of my DH. Wouldn't have to tell anyoe else, and it would be a way of keeping a bit of him near.

My Dad had the best line though, "Just wrap me in a Baggie and plant me under the pine tree!" He was serious!

PurlyGyrl
09-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Quoting stitchwitch: "When I die I'm going to be taxidermied and posed into the Captain Morgan position so I can be placed in my home's entryway.":roflhard:
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: Now there's an idea. :teehee:

I'm not sure how I feel about "people diamonds". To each his own I guess. :think:

scout52
09-11-2008, 02:42 PM

There are only two things about it that bother me...the price (very pricey)..

I love this idea as well. I'm an identical twin and one thing my twin and I have discuss inevitably discuss is one of our deaths. (extremely large family, many funerals to attend) It's very hard for me to watch a show or news program that involves a twin's death.

We watched a documentary together that dealt with how the surviving twin dealt with the lost. We were both hysterical by the end.

I think this will allow me to keep a part of her near me forever. I don't care how expensive it is. It is worth it to me to have my sister next to me. But to me the price is worth the need to heal over her loss. Especially since she wants cremation and so do I.

Crycket
09-11-2008, 04:03 PM
There is a really good Penn & Tellers Bulls*$% on Funeral costs. And yes...most of it is all about catching someone in grief.

I also had a co-worker lose her mom a few years back and she told me that the greatest thing her mom ever did for her was to pre arrange her funeral.

I myself like the idea of one day being dug up and examined by scientists trying to figure out my life style...but these days I think it would be near impossible to be in the kind of situation that leads to that! These days it is things like little prisons that buried the hanged in the back, then a hotel gets errected sort of deal. I would also settle for being a skeleton in a highschool sci lab, but they don't use real skeletons anymore.....a diamond for me would really be the next best thing to "immortal" that you can get. It may get lost, but it isn't going away!

Lucy78green
09-11-2008, 05:05 PM
My granny pre-paid her funeral with the co-op!
As an archaeologist I have dug up several skeletons, like most things the thought of it is worse than the reality - least we ensure the individual's remains are kept together. Graveyard clearance companies (I have been told, don't know for sure) machine all the burials out, count the skulls and longbones, and charge per estimated number of individuals removed.

Debkcs
09-11-2008, 06:18 PM
I showed this to my husband, he thinks it's a great idea.

The next guy says "that's a beautiful ring, did Michael buy it for you?" "No, it IS Michael."! End of date?:)

Mike
09-11-2008, 06:27 PM

The next guy says "that's a beautiful ring, did Michael buy it for you?" "No, it IS Michael."! End of date?:)

Or you could be talking about your previous husband in the present tense, "He's a real gem.".

scout52
09-11-2008, 06:56 PM

That's beautiful!!:heart: :heart:

Knitting_Guy
09-11-2008, 11:12 PM
"He's a real gem.".

***groan***

Debkcs
09-12-2008, 11:03 AM
"He's a real gem." :roflhard:

In this life and the next!

KnittinMitchie
09-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Okay this is something I can see my mom doing with the dog's ashes once the go onto doggy heaven. Yeah they are her kiddos. I can even see hear wearing my dad if he didn't want to be buried.

Now having my mom or dad cremated and in an urn on my mantel piece would creep the hell out of me. I would feel like mom was sitting there watching every move. I hvae nothing against cremation or the dimond thing.

I had just graduated HS and a friend's brother died due to Leukemia and his request was to be cremated. I was at the house when they brought his ashes over and my friend answered the door and took his ashes. I thought to god she was gunna drop the urn in the entry way and pass out. It was a VERY weird experience to say the least.

laikabear
09-12-2008, 01:33 PM
RE: Crycket's comment that they don't use real skeletons anymore... My (vet) anatomy lab had a human skeleton that was quite real. We actually knew his story. It was a man from India who had sold his skeleton for $ while he was living. Many 3rd world countries have stuff like that - you can buy organs for transplant. The skeleton was so tiny - the man was probably about 4'11" or so. We had a name for him, but I can't remember. Jeez that was only 9 years ago!

You could always donate your body to science so human anatomy students could be learning from you later. I still remember in vivid detail a lot of the animals we had in our anatomy dissection. We spent months with those guys.

Luvmyrottnboy
09-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Sorry, but I find the whole idea bizarre and disrespectful of the dead.

Very, very bizarre in fact.

I'm with you!

In fact I don't even like embalming.

cheesiesmom
09-12-2008, 04:18 PM
We had an estate of a young man in our office. His mother and step-mother were fighting over his ashes, so the funeral home delivered them to our office pending some kind of settlement between the two women. The ashes arrived in a gold foil cardboard box which sat on the other secretary's desk. Everyone who came by thought she had received a box of candy and tried to open it up for a "snack". We spent the better part of that day yelling at everyone that it was cremains and not chocolate.

Now if they had thought of the diamond thing, each woman could have had a lovely remembrance rather than half of the ashes.

Gladys

kellyh57
09-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Brings new meaning to a man-made stone, huh?

In all seriousness, I knew a girl going to mortuary science school. She came in with all sorts of fun stories! They had TONS of ashes that were left there from years and years ago. Apparently, people get cremated and forgotten about! They can't toss them or do anything with them except store them and hope someday, someone will remember that great-great-great grandma is still out there in some box! We used to have long discussions about what we wanted to happen to us when we died. I told them I don't care, but I don't want to be on someone's mantle! I just get creeped out about that! What happens generations down the line to my ashes? I want to donate my organs so they suggest that I don't have an open-casket. I think it's kinda weird to look at dead people anyway. If they must, but please, make me look like me and if you can't close the darn lid! I had a friend who never wore make-up. She was killed in a car accident and we couldn't even tell it was her in the casket. They put TONS of make-up on and curled her hair all pretty. Totally NOT NANCY! I still get upset when I think about that! I imagine her face was pretty messed up, but they could have just closed the lid! If I have to get cremated, scatter my ashes and bury some somewhere. I want my loved ones to have a spot to come back to "me" but I don't need all that space and I don't need them to have me on display! I don't think the diamond is all that bad, but I'd put it in a closed locket or something so I don't have to feel like I was showing off with a dead person. (I don't wear much jewelry anyway!)

Kelly

stitchwitch
09-12-2008, 06:23 PM
On a somewhat humorous note, we had to fly to Ohio a year ago to bury my MIL's ashes with my FIL. We were carrying "Mom" with us on the plane because we didn't want to check her and have something happen. As we are getting ready to board the flight they cancel the flight and weren't sure when the next one would be available! Her funeral was 9:00am the next day! We joked that she would be late for her own funeral!:teehee: They did eventually get us on another flight a few hours later and my husband asked them to please let us board early enough to stow our package near us because we had to get to a funeral and had the guest of honor with us and we didn't want to stow our guest above someone else's seat. They looked at us a little odd but we did board first.

jess_hawk
09-13-2008, 03:36 AM
OMG My mom has suggested the same thing. She gets claustrophobic and says she wants a coffin with a window... we suggested cremation because she's always cold and we pointed out that her body would be warm in the process... but then she thought of taxidermy and thought that would be a great idea, if nothing else because of the hilarity and inconvenience to the rest of us. Thank God Dad would never let her actually settle on such an idea. I love my daddy. (and mom too)

So glad I'm not the only one with a mother who has this idea.

RE: Crycket's comment that they don't use real skeletons anymore... My (vet) anatomy lab had a human skeleton that was quite real. We actually knew his story. It was a man from India who had sold his skeleton for $ while he was living. Many 3rd world countries have stuff like that - you can buy organs for transplant. The skeleton was so tiny - the man was probably about 4'11" or so. We had a name for him, but I can't remember. Jeez that was only 9 years ago!
I think it was my HS had one of these. She had a name too, if I remember right it was a guy's name even though I distinctly remember her being a female, also from India or Africa.
My Dad had the best line though, "Just wrap me in a Baggie and plant me under the pine tree!" He was serious!
I'm afraid of fire so no cremation for me...

Please, someone just nail me in a nice pine box and bury me, then plant a tree over the grave. Or at the very least make my headstone a birdfeeder - one of the local cemetaries has several headstones shaped like tree stumps or snags, some of them are bird feeders, too. (I grew up a block from a cemetery)

bambi
09-13-2008, 10:41 AM
This has been such an interesting discussion. Thanks for all your comments.

There is at leat one cemetary I heard of that they take you and let you degrade naturally and leave a small rock bearing your name where you were.

My uncle grew up on a chicken farm where there were several generations of chicken farmers. His grandfather died and was cremated and place out by the chicken coop! They used to say hi to hime every morning. :roflhard:

How about a Tibetan Sky burial? The monks are pretty much just thrown out for the vultures, although not without some sort of prayers or fan fare.

Around the turn of the last century, they would take pictures of the dead children and set them out. And, they used to make all sorts of funeral jewelry with hair, etc.

I don't want to be pumped full of chemicals and placed on display. Cremation seems the way to go unless DD wants to wear me as a diamond. I'd rather ride through eternity on her hand than scattered to the wind or in the cold, cold ground.

Bambi

Crycket
09-13-2008, 11:37 AM
I think it was my HS had one of these. She had a name too, if I remember right it was a guy's name even though I distinctly remember her being a female, also from India or Africa.

I thought the rule for that is they wouldn't use your real name, so as not to upset future family members...or maybe it was just no last names....I don't know.....

I am sure they still do these things in some places...but I am pretty sure in your average highschool they don't use real ones anymore....

I was mildly interested in having myself made into art....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunther_von_Hagens

I guess in one way or another, it would be nice to be immortalized, even if you can't manage to do something groundbreaking in your own time...

Mike
09-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Please, someone just nail me in a nice pine box and bury me, then plant a tree over the grave. Or at the very least make my headstone a birdfeeder - one of the local cemetaries has several headstones shaped like tree stumps or snags, some of them are bird feeders, too. (I grew up a block from a cemetery)

I heard about this place somewhere. http://www.kentcasket.com/index.htm

But as far as I know, in this state you would still need to be enclosed in a concrete vault. And from what I've heard even if you're having your ashes buried they need to be in a vault.
Nah, this state doesn't play favoritism for lobbyists.

stitchwitch
09-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Info on "green" burials for those that don't want all the pomp and circumstance. http://www.thegreenfuneralsite.com/?gclid=CPX50qzO2ZUCFSCysgodN1o0Dw