PDA

View Full Version : Maybe A Stupid Question...

JustAFloridaGirl
09-10-2008, 11:43 PM
...but does anyone actually USE the dishcloths they make to wash dishes? What other possible uses are there (pot holders, hot pads, etc.) The reason I ask is because I've just discovered a bunch of cute patterns that I would love to make for myself as well as for a few other women in my family (as Christmas presents) but I want them to be *useful* not just decorative. :)

GrandmaLori
09-10-2008, 11:45 PM
I totally use them to wash countertops and everything. They have great scrubbing texture. After they get too grubby, I use them as cleaning rags too.

Mike
09-11-2008, 12:52 AM
They're great for washing cast iron skillets.

Jan in CA
09-11-2008, 01:25 AM
I would never use them for skillets myself, but I do use them for counters and the table.

knitgal
09-11-2008, 08:44 AM
I only use my dishcloths now! I absolutely love them. I gave a few to my DBF's mom and she uses them as doilies. Oh well, I guess she uses them.

knitpurlgurl
09-11-2008, 08:52 AM
I couldn't bring myself to use all of the dishcloths that I knitted in various patterns. I eventually sewed them all together and made a sampler dishcloth afghan. But now that I have been knitting for a while, it's not so important to keep every dishcloth to look at - so I do use them. Or at least, I knit dishcloths with their use in mind.

saracidaltendencies
09-11-2008, 09:30 AM
I haven't made any dishcloths for myself (I really need to!), but, I have for my mom and dad. My mom felt badly about using them but I told her that's why I made them, for her to use and if she wasn't going to use them, I basically wasted my time :teehee: So, she uses them all the time!

laikabear
09-11-2008, 09:32 AM
I've made several in the Grandma's favorite pattern for myself. I don't have a dishwasher (my kitchen is microscopic) and I do use/ love them. I will leave each one in rotation for a couple of days, then when it fails to pass the sniff test (eew!) I toss it in the laundry. It is so nice not to be using and throwing away a million sponges.

I think I have enough Sugar & Cream to make about 5000 more. I gave knitted dishcloths out as Xmas presents last year to some of the ladies in my family (I was pretty new to knitting). I gave them a grandma's and a really pretty feather & fan one each, plus a nice handmade (not by me) soap. I would say they were totally unappreciated (these are people I usually get a card or something, so it's not like they were expecting great gifts). I don't know if people with dishwashers just don't need them, or they were too homemade, or what.

I'm going to try again this year with some nicer knitted things and see what happens. If I get the same blah response, it's back to cards for them. <shrug>

mwhite
09-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Certainly, I use mine all the time! Sometimes when you give them, other people don't know what they are so I attach the following:

If you could wave a magic wand
And grant me special wishes
I'd wish that you were by my side
Helping me wash the dishes

Spikey
09-11-2008, 09:39 AM
We use them as washcloths and dishcloths. I also give them away as gifts, with most people coming back and asking for more.

My MIL loved them so much, she started making them herself.

A few cloths with a nice soap makes a lovely housewarming or hostess gift, too.

Same for baby gifts, there are some really cute free patterns out there with bunnies, ducks, baby feet, etc (using a cotton made for babies, of course).

kellee0302
09-11-2008, 09:47 AM
I use mine as dish cloths and wash cloths. My son always uses the homemade ones when he does the dishes. My mother and grandmother also use the ones I've made for them. Although it's tough to get them to scrub dishes with them, but they do use them as wash cloths.

cftwo
09-11-2008, 10:01 AM
I use mine, though I was hesitant to at first. They are so much better than the ones I bought before.

ladylathum
09-11-2008, 10:17 AM
i have wondered that myself but what if you sewed several together and made scatter rugs or bath mats or afghans or car blankets or even gave them away to homeless shelters just a thought on this lovely morning in calgary

knitasha
09-11-2008, 11:25 AM
I use the failures to wipe counters and wash any dish that can't go in the dishwasher (my grandmother's china with the gold rims).
The pretty ones are re-purposed as face cloths. The cotton one are very soft on the skin and they hold lots of water. Lately I've been making them in a linen blend that is a little more exfoliating, and leaves your skin feeling very clean.

RuthieinMaryland
09-11-2008, 02:46 PM
I gave knitted dishcloths out as Xmas presents last year to some of the ladies in my family (I was pretty new to knitting). I gave them a grandma's and a really pretty feather & fan one each, plus a nice handmade (not by me) soap. I would say they were totally unappreciated (these are people I usually get a card or something, so it's not like they were expecting great gifts). I don't know if people with dishwashers just don't need them, or they were too homemade, or what.

I'm going to try again this year with some nicer knitted things and see what happens. If I get the same blah response, it's back to cards for them. <shrug>

Hi, Maureen -

In this day and age of machine made "everything", I find that it takes an adjustment in perception for most people to differentiate between the millionth factory-made piece and one lovingly fashioned in someone's two hands.

I'm a professional artist so I've had some experience with
"presentation". The most beautiful painting, unframed, always benefits by being placed in just the right frame, in just the right light. It says, loud and clear, "This is an important work!".

Sometimes it takes more than one encounter for folks to "wise up" to the little gem in their hands! So don't give up yet. Maybe add a little gift card that says "handmade lovingly for you!" or "Made specially for a special lady" or something of that sort. Really make a show of your presentation.

The gifts you are making ARE important. Nowhere else on this planet is anyone making something from "sticks and strings" especially for these folks! Who would? Who would care enough?

But they're not used to anyone doing anything remotely like this especially for them, so you might be getting some confusion rather than disinterest.

If, on the other hand, they're just brick-stupid, ungrateful wretches, :gah: go ahead and just give them a card (a cheap one!) and use your time and creativity elsewhere!

Whatever you decide, I think it's wonderful that you're such a generous knitter in wanting to share your art with others! Keep going!
:muah:
Ruthie

Knitting_Guy
09-11-2008, 03:09 PM
That reminds me, I need to make some.

luvmykid28
09-11-2008, 04:34 PM
I am new to knitting and have decided to make dishcloths as gifts for my DSIL. I am using #6 US needles and Lily 100% cotton yarn. I am having a hard time w/my stitches being so tight and I have a hard time getting them to move on my needles. This is also my 1st time to use needles smaller that 10 US and don't usually have trouble with my knitting being too tight. The pattern I'm using is the Reversible Close Checks Face Cloth Knitting Pattern from this site. Any suggestions?

MAmaDawn
09-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Honestly I don't like cloths of any kind to wash dishes, but I LOVE :heart::inlove: them in the shower, whole family does! Never tried the lien ones... I think I'll have to do that!

susi
09-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Must confess until recently i have been very very anti dishclothes thinking whats the point. But i have found myself sitting looking therough ravelry loving them. so i have my first knitted one OTN right now. i have done a couple of crocheted onces in a class as well. ds loves them as washclothes, but i am considering using them for there peopper use. also thought that they may be usefull for rubbing horses legs down when they get muddy etc. just another use, guess it would work on dogs as well, oh and the kids :teehee:

dturner
09-11-2008, 06:59 PM
I don't use dish cloths very often myself, but I have made some face cloths that I use all the time. There are some great patterns for wash cloths, and the dish cloth patterns can be made just a little larger for nice face cloths.

dmknits
09-15-2008, 02:22 AM
I've only made one so far, and I gave it to my mom. Instead of using it, she has it displayed on her refrigerator using clip magnets. :shrug:

Shandeh
09-15-2008, 03:21 AM
Dishcloths are a wonderful way to learn new stitches. If you want to make a sweater, but don't understand how to do a certain section, just grab some cotton and cast on 20 stitches, then knit a square using the new technique until you get it. Then bind off, and use the square as a dishcloth or a coaster. :wink:

Simply_Renee
09-15-2008, 08:34 AM
I would say they were totally unappreciated (these are people I usually get a card or something, so it's not like they were expecting great gifts). I don't know if people with dishwashers just don't need them, or they were too homemade, or what.

Maureen-

If I was your family member recipient- I would be so happy you thought so much of me you took hours and hours to make things for me! Some people think handmade gifts are "cheap" and just don't get it.

Luckily- I have 1 sister who knits (and LOVED the dishcloths I gave her- she is still learning) and a mom who has crocheted my whole life (I am trying to teach her to knit- but she's having a really hard time!) and they appreciated my knitting. My dad is thrilled to death with anything I have ever made- he's really sensitive. One of my other sisters kind of looks at me like a deer in the headlights when I whip out stuff to show her.

I am debating little soap sets for Christmas this year for the female relatives. Hoping for a good response.

I am sure there are lots of people who would love your presents. I LOVE handcrafted presents.
:hug:

Simply_Renee
09-15-2008, 08:36 AM
I've only made one so far, and I gave it to my mom. Instead of using it, she has it displayed on her refrigerator using clip magnets. :shrug:

Just like she did when you drew her pictures as a kid, I bet!

As a mom, I had to laugh when I read that. Maybe you should knit her some magnets!:wink:

Simply_Renee
09-15-2008, 08:41 AM
I am new to knitting and have decided to make dishcloths as gifts for my DSIL. I am using #6 US needles and Lily 100% cotton yarn. I am having a hard time w/my stitches being so tight and I have a hard time getting them to move on my needles. This is also my 1st time to use needles smaller that 10 US and don't usually have trouble with my knitting being too tight. The pattern I'm using is the Reversible Close Checks Face Cloth Knitting Pattern from this site. Any suggestions?

Hi! Cotton is hard to deal with sometimes. It took some getting used to at first- it doesn't stretch much and was hard on my hands at first. I HATED to knit with it when I started because of the same issues- I REALLY have to relax my hands to knit with it.

I think your needle size may be too small. I usually knit that type of yarn on sevens or eights. Slippy metal needles help too- if you're using wood I would change them- although my Harmony needles are slippery enough I would rather have metal with cotton. With some practice and relaxing your tension some it will be fine.

figaro
09-15-2008, 08:58 AM
I am going to echo what everybody else has said-yes I use them. In fact I have about 20 for the kitchen, smaller ones for the dishes and larger ones for wiping the counters/table down. I am knitting a very colorful one right now for my daughters for the bathtub. I love knitting them as they are the patterns and colors I want, the perfect size is easy to do and they are perfect for a quick knit.

GinnyG
09-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I use mine all the time. Anyone I have ever gifted one to uses them as well.

dmknits
09-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Actually, I don't recall anything of mine being put on the refrigerator when I was growing up. I must have finally made it to the big time, and I owe it all to knitting. :teehee:

Just like she did when you drew her pictures as a kid, I bet!

As a mom, I had to laugh when I read that. Maybe you should knit her some magnets!:wink:

Mirl56
09-15-2008, 04:23 PM
I use them all the time to wash dishes/wipe counters/table. I use a fresh one every day, sometimes twice.

I made a few 6-8 yrs ago and hated them. More recently I tried a few more and love them. I do have a few that are kind of large, maybe 12" square. I don't care for them so much, I think cause they are so big. Maybe that's why I didn't like them 8 yrs ago - I made them too big.

I've used them to learn new techniques - mitered squares, attached metered squares, entralac to name a few.

I've only gifted a few, I think cause now I want to keep and use them all.

suewoz
09-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Of course we use them! I started using hand knit dish cloths when I was first married and my mother in law would make bags of them for me. Then she made them for my daughter when she got married. Now that she does not knit anymore, I make them for myself and all the girls in my family. We love them.

WandaT
09-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Yup, I use mine too! In fact my handmade cloths are the only ones I use for my kitchen (and I have a dishwasher) and my face. LOVE them. I love trying new stitches and having something pretty to show for it. I've also started making some coasters too. I have quite a few of the stone coasters that are supposed to soak up the condensation from your glass, but after a couple of years they don't work anymore. So I've been making smaller versions to sit on top of them so I don't get puddles. I also started making some coaster size "napkins" for my coffee spoon in the mornings. I decided it would be better to have a smaller version of a cloth to put my spoon on instead of going through a napkin or paper towel every day. Just a small way to "go green."