PDA

View Full Version : What'cha's knitting for christmas???

MsBehavin
09-12-2008, 03:05 AM
:shrug: hey, I'm just curious but what is everyone knitting for christmas??? and for whom??? :??

bree
09-12-2008, 03:50 AM
I've been thinking about this lately too, especially since the weather has cooled down and the days became shorter.

My current project OTN is the clapotis. I'm really loving how it is turning out and am pleased at how simple it is. I've been thinking I might try to make a couple more for some friends of mine. But I've been debating on whether or not they'd be willing to handwash something this large if I use a natural fibre.

Socks, hats and scarves are on my list of possible xmas gifts too. It just depends on how fast I can knit things up. At least I'm starting early this year, as opposed to last year when I was knitting til midnight on Dec 23, lol.

Mirl56
09-12-2008, 06:25 AM
My siblings & our spouses trade names so I only have one name - one of my adult sisters (DH has one of them, I have one - we may trade since he had the same name last year).

Either way, she's getting a couple knitted shopping bags (the everlasting bagstopper and BYOB). Also a couple knit/felted boxes from Mason Dixon Knitting. Maybe a bowl shape, too. I was thinking of a lace weight shawl of some sort, but that will work for the 1 sister but not so much for the other. I think I will still go ahead and make one but it might have to be for me (being my first lace weight project, I expect it will have too many mistakes that I'll have to keep it for myself anyway!)

MsBehavin
09-12-2008, 07:08 AM
I'm not a very quick knitter... I'm debating on whether I should crochet something or not... but then I have a hard time reading crochet patterns so that might make crocheting just as quick as my knitting... :?? decisions, decisions!
I have a hat pattern or two that look really nice to me (I have never dared try to make one before) and I know I cannot resist at least one pair of slippers!!! Problem is, I have a hard time resisting giving my gifts early... people go ga-ga over them and I give em away.... :think:

MsBehavin
09-12-2008, 07:13 AM
:cheering: My aunt got me a bag that is Alot like those knitted shopping bags like 23 years ago!!! I just have to tell you they are soooo nice!! you can use them for so much and fit sooo much in them. I use mine very tenderly but they are pretty durable too if you use the right type of yarn for it.

knitpurlgurl
09-12-2008, 09:27 AM
I am only knitting for one person this Christmas: my mom. I'm knitting her the Alpaca Prayer Shawl. She loves to cuddle in throws while watching TV - so I thought a nice cuddly shawl would be great. No one else in my life truly appreciates hand made items. The last couple of Christmases I knit everything from a stack of colorful dishcloths for each season, scarves, afghans.. I've also decoupaged frames and made paper scrapbooks and calendars. I have given handmade santas and snowmen. No one seems to appreciate the time and work that you put into it.. or at least in my family. Infact, the people in my family basically make fun of me because I am the odd person out (no one in the family crafts - it's not considered feminist enough for them). So I have given up spending my entire holiday season handcrafting for those who could care less. Now I just make items for those who will truly appreciate and treasure them. <Ending rant now> Sorry.

Spikey
09-12-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm going with felt-them-yourself Fiber Trend Clogs.

Everyone gets a pair and felting instructions, and customizes them to fit.

Might be a big mistake, but better than making 11 pairs in the wrong sizes.

knitpurlgurl
09-12-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm going with felt-them-yourself Fiber Trend Clogs.

Everyone gets a pair and felting instructions, and customizes them to fit.

Might be a big mistake, but better than making 11 pairs in the wrong sizes.

Cute idea - it also kinda gets everyone involved and makes them feel as though they had a 'hand' in crafting their own clogs. :)

DorothyDot
09-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Christmas knittings. Let's see...

Mom - I'm needlepointing a purse for her, using a detailed roses-and-leaves pattern.

Dad - He'll get the woolen Monkey Socks I'm entering into the County Fair next week.

Hubby - a pair of over-the-knee wool knee socks, to wear with his shorts :?? this winter.

Brother - a crocheted doily.

MIL - a Fair-Isle bag.

Others - 1-2 tatted snowflakes to hang on their trees or in their windows.

Dot

Rosemary
09-12-2008, 10:17 AM
What is finished:

5 washcloths and back scrubber sets

2 Dust bunny toys

the above items are for ex-husband's (Wasband) extended family

1 cardigan sweater for DD

On the needles:

afghan for Wasband

Palindrome hat for DIL

another cardigan for DD (birthday 12/29)

shell for under the cardigan for DD

I am sure there will be other items in the works between now and then.

Sunshine's Mom
09-12-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm doing washcloths for my mom, MIL and SIL - 2 each (1 in seed stitch and 1 that is a flower pattern) with some nice soaps. Also doing 5 pairs of regular socks and 2 pairs of pedicure socks. I've already started so I'm way ahead of myself this year.

Knitpurlgurl, I feel for you that no one in your family appreciates handmade gifts. When I started knitting I felt weird giving socks or dishcloths (anything I made really). I made my MIL a shawl that took me ages to do. She said she loved it, but I know she never wears it. That's okay, I gave it to her to do whatever she liked with it. And she definitely appreciated the effort so that helped. But, now, the socks I make go over big time and I don't feel so silly. I never pictured myself as the relative to make slippers for everyone at Christmas, but here I am....:wink:

Debkcs
09-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Only knitting for one person this year, we've been friends since we were 14, and she wants a pair of socks.

The rest of the family I'm sewing for, and there will be gift cards for places they like to shop.

In my family, if you don't have some money to go book shopping with after the holidays it's a sad thing. We spend most of our 'Christmas money' on a favorite charity,makes us feel like we're helping others instead of just ourselves.

it's not considered feminist enough for them

How sad, brings to mind the saying 'someone who knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing.'

KnittinMitchie
09-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Let's see

Mom & MIL- A Little Slip of a Thing From knitty.com

SIL - Dishcloths of the crochet variety

the Kiddo - a bolero if I cna find the pattern that my house ate AFTER I started the darn thing. ( ISO of Knitting November 2007 for a replacement pattern)

And I'm sure there will be other knitted gifts but I don't know what yet.

PaulaM01
09-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Since I am not going to see the family this christmas. And I been thanking of make some toys for the grandkids. My granddaughter is 2 years old and my grandson will be almost 5 months by christmsa. So, I still think about him what to make.

knitpurlgurl
09-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Only knitting for one person this year, we've been friends since we were 14, and she wants a pair of socks.

The rest of the family I'm sewing for, and there will be gift cards for places they like to shop.

In my family, if you don't have some money to go book shopping with after the holidays it's a sad thing. We spend most of our 'Christmas money' on a favorite charity,makes us feel like we're helping others instead of just ourselves.

How sad, brings to mind the saying 'someone who knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing.'

Ya.. I think being a Feminist means that you have the right and option to choose whichever lifestyle you'd like to lead: whether it be domestic or not or both! :aww:

Knitting_Guy
09-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Geez, I haven't even started thinking about it yet. I guess it's getting about time that I should.

dejamo85
09-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Let's see...
Hubby: Fair Isle Stocking
Son: socks (I am amazed at how many pairs of thick socks a 18 mo old goes through!)
Daughter (due end of Nov!) :UGG booties, socks
Grandpa: Fair Isle (maybe) mittens -- still haven't found a pattern
Grandma: Extreemly wide shawl

OTN:
UGG bootie, Stocking, Mittens

FO:
Lacy Jumper, lots of socks

Maybe I will get to my sweater before the baby comes!!!

PurlyGyrl
09-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Gosh you guys are so busy! I haven't even thought about Christmas.
I made four pairs of Fiber Trends clogs for my sister, brother-in-law, niece and nephew. They were a hit!!!!

RuthieinMaryland
09-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Gosh, you guys are really rockin'! :happydance:

Christmas here is pretty tame since we have a large family party on Thanksgiving (20-22 folks) and just casually get together around Christmas. With so many in the family, we all just give to the kids as a rule.

But I like to have something special for the gals at Thanksgiving. Last year everybody got knitted scarves. This year I found a great pattern for spiral socks and they look wonderful. So I'll be making up about 8 pairs for the ladies and one for the tiny feet of my 7 year old grand-daughter. The guys are just happy with tons of turkey, ham, shrimp and football! :teehee:

And they've pretty much gotten their gift earlier in the year. I made each of my 3 stepsons their own afghan and will be delivering the last one in a few days.

My godmother is having a new kitchen put in (she's waited 33 years and is WAY overdue for it!) so I'll be making her a bunch of dishcloths in her new kitchen colors!

Last year I made up a bunch of garter stitch neck scarves, not just for family and friends, but for the elderly in the community and distributed them through the local beauty shop. They knew who could really make use of them. I did them in Homespun, on #19 needles, casting on 12 stitches and working with two threads, one from the center pull and one from the outside. I just knit until the skein ran out and they were the perfect size. I wrapped them in clear cellophane wrap (so the recipients could choose a color they liked) and found some pretty wired ribbon to make nice bows. I've already started for this year and have three done so far.

This is a great thread, I love seeing what everyone's doing!

Happy knitting!

Ruthie :waving:

stacyk9
09-12-2008, 01:06 PM
OMG! I think I'm going to have a panic attack. 103 DAYS TIL CHRISTMAS!!!!! You know, this holiday comes the same time every year, but somehow it always starts sneaking up about this time!! Well, I do have a few gifts already done, but there's still a lot on my list:

Mom: Knitted ornament cover
Grandma: Knitted ornament cover
SIL: Knitted ornament cover
MIL: Knitted ornament cover
Are you starting to see a trend?
Other SIL: Knitted ornament cover
Niece 1: Scarf & Banana Republic Hat (scarf is done)
Niece 2: Scarf & Calorimetry (Calorimetry is done, scarf halfway done)
Work: 9 knitted ornament covers

Although this isn't for Christmas, I am trying to get 5 washcloths done before a friend has her baby in October, so it is slowing me down a bit.

So, between a full time job, taking a college course and a toddler running around my house, I see alot of late nights in my future!!!

lizardknits
09-12-2008, 01:19 PM
well.... im not knitting anything for christmas specifically, but I am working on a baby blanket for a cousin's wife's coming child that is due on December 20th (close enough to christmas :teehee: ). A friend of mine wants me to make her a matching hat to the scarf that I made her for her birthday a year or so ago in LB Jiffy Denver(her birthday is in December, which makes a scarf a perfect gift).

susi
09-12-2008, 01:42 PM
mum: lace scarf
dad: socks and scarf
son: cuddly toy dress up for cuddly
brother: frog toy as he is scared of frogs lol
dp: not sure yet
MIL: god knows as i havent met her yet
BIL1: no idae again havent met him yet
BIL2: same
SIL: same
dp's nephew 1: possibly a doc who thing, most nearly teenage boys like that (he's 12)
dp's nephew 2; cuddly toy as he's a baby, maybe if i get time a jumper or something

thats about it, phew thats going to take some time tio get done lol

my brother is very anti home made gifts as he hinks there not as good as bought once. tbh i just make him stuff i enjoy doing and use up stash on it. if he silly about it well thats his problem. although everything i've ever made him has ended up chewed up by his dog and threwn away anyway

Daylilydayzed
09-13-2008, 06:12 PM
I am knitting my youngest soon and his girfriend an afghan so when he gets transfered to a new duty station, they will have the afghan to remind them of the time they spent in Key West. After I get that finished, I have a sweater planned for my oldest son who is a special case. Everything has to be downsized to fit him. He is a very petite young man. Both in weight and height.

Knit4Pie
09-13-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm knitting 2 lace scarves, but not sure of the pattern yet. I really like the Cat's Paw pattern, but still looking around.

I'm knitting 2 pair of thick wool socks for my dad and brother, as they're often outside in the winter.

Not sure what else yet.

Jax3303
09-13-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm sick and tired of my knitted gifts being unappreciated, so only a few special people are getting knit gifts this year. I'm knitting Selbu mittens form the book Selbuvotter for my Mom, one of my sisters and my best friend for their gifts. I'll be baking for a few others, and buying for my niece's.

KnittinMitchie
09-14-2008, 12:44 PM
I have a thing for knitting socks for my mom for Christmas and I need to find some yarn that I want to use. Mom is allergic to wool so I may try Bamboo this time and see how she does with those.

blueygh2
09-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Like lizard, I'm not knitting specifically for Christmas, I'm just knitting as I have time. Probably things wouldn't be ready in time anyway,... so when I have finished that lacescarf, and other things, I decide to give them away for the nextbest holiday :D
That way, I'm not under pressure to finish this and that...

Lisa R.
09-14-2008, 05:22 PM
I've finally planned ahead this year! So far, I'm nearly finished with two little felted bags in UGA colors for my nieces. I'm working on a Cable Comfort Throw (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70071AD.html?noImages=) for my FIL, a Romance Reversible Shawl (http://www.keepitsimpledesigns.net/p_shawls.html#KS140) for my MIL (in a nice darker green, not the pink!

That's all that's actually on the needles so far. Still have quite a few others who will get something knitted, but I haven't figured out the rest yet!---oh, some washclothes for our band director gifts, to go with some soaps, etc..

InterNette
09-16-2008, 08:47 AM
I just finished sewing quilted stockings for the troops. Every year red cross collects them and fills with goodies and send to soldiers. I have 46 done and I think I might stop there. We did 10 a piece last year and ended up with 800 from our sewing group, this year they want 1000 so we all stepped it up a bit. I am worn out officially now on christmas already.
I knitted hot water bottle for someone with MS who lives in a damp 300 year old house in new england, a clapotis for my mom and working on a quilt for my sister, if I actually do it, ( I been promising for years a large bed quilt for her but I dont do larger than crib size usually) A felted hat for friend and until I hit the local yarn shop I dont have any more ideas.

kellee0302
09-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Blankets for my niece and nephew, the niece's is done and nephew's is two blocks away and needs to be sewn together. I am also making an afghan for my MIL, about half way there on that one. I want to make a shawl with a lace pattern of some kind for my mother but haven't found a pattern that I like yet. And of course some mittens, one pair needs skulls on them. So far that's it, but I'm sure this list will grow it always does.

knitpurlgurl
09-16-2008, 11:29 AM
I have a thing for knitting socks for my mom for Christmas and I need to find some yarn that I want to use. Mom is allergic to wool so I may try Bamboo this time and see how she does with those.

Can she wear Alpaca? I've heard of some wool-allergic people being able to wear Alpaca without problems.

mamapaulsel
09-20-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm doing lots of knitting for C-mas.
OTN: Lace Scarf for SIL in lavendar Malabrigo 2 ply the pattern is Dragon Scale Scarf by Bad Cat Designs.

I'm also going to do another one in dark teal for the other SIL

MIL: undecided but probably the same scarf in a different color

FIL: undecided
3 BIL: undecided
nephew: undecided, maybe an ornament for his first c-mas
DH's aunt: dish cloths
DD1: scarf and fingerless gloves
DD2: scarf and try a felted bag
DH: socks

Friends: dish cloths and a jar of jelly

I'd also love to crochet some ornaments and use as the ribbons for each persons gift. I'm being very ambitious this year. I just hope that everyone appreciates the effort and time I'm putting into it this year.

new_knitter
09-21-2008, 02:53 AM
I am knitting 12 pairs of Fiber Trend Clogs.... wanted to give them as "felt them yourself", but I know they won't. So I know their sizes.... don't you think I can get them close enough? If they're a little small, they will stretch and I can include felting instructions just in case they are too big.

Would like to do some shopping bags too, but I probably won't get to them

KnittinMitchie
09-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Can she wear Alpaca? I've heard of some wool-allergic people being able to wear Alpaca without problems.

I will have to look for some alpaca and see if that wiould work. KNIT PICKS here I come.