PDA

View Full Version : Reliving 9/11

cheley
09-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey everyone..just watched of very upclose documentary on 9/11 airing on the History channel... I tried to explain to my niece (who is just attending 1rst grade and by the way we have custody of) the horrific events of that day... my heartfelt loss to anyone who lost a loved one (yes, I am married to an officer of the law) on that day, any common person just trying to "make a living" or any other person just "there".... The events of 9/11 have literally brought me too tears (and prayers)...God Bless anyone who has lived thru that experience...:muah:

ritaw
09-13-2008, 02:54 AM
My thoughts are with those who lost family and friends that day . Also for those who suffered that day . ((HuggZ))

miccisue
09-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Hey everyone..just watched of very upclose documentary on 9/11 airing on the History channel... I tried to explain to my niece (who is just attending 1rst grade and by the way we have custody of) the horrific events of that day... my heartfelt loss to anyone who lost of loved one (yes, I am married to an officer of the law) on that day, any common person just trying to "make a living" or any other person just "there".... The events of 9/11 have literally brought me too tears (and prayers)...God Bless anyone who has lived thru that experience...:muah:

I watched that, too, and was in tears a large part of the time. It was so different, seeing an hearing regular people who had shot video that day instead of the clinical delivery of the big news outlets.

God bless everyone who suffered through this, and help us never to forget and leave ourselves vulnerable to that type of despicable happening again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bailsmom
09-13-2008, 10:18 AM
We watched that too. It was such a different perspective from the actual events vs. the news reporting on it. It didn't hit me as hard watching the news as it did watching this documetary. Seeing it happen in real time was much more devestating. And seeing all those firemen walking towards the WTC was very moving.

My heart goes out to all who lost a loved one. :grphug:

Crycket
09-13-2008, 12:14 PM
I remember that day as if it were yesterday...and how scared ppl were. I worked (at the time) Downtown Toronto, and most ppl went home from work that day....

I think the fear was based in the fact that the CN Tower might have been targeted...but looking back...it is a very insignificant target....

Tropicflower24
09-13-2008, 04:53 PM
I was just a *little* girl when it happened but I remember everything like it is a picture. It was scarey even before I knew. I sometimes have dreams and stuff (kinda weird, I know) and I was living on the West Coast at the time. I was sleeping while it was happening and I had nightmares of people screaming. :(
I still pray every time and the days around then for those who lost their loved ones.

Puddinpop
09-13-2008, 09:57 PM
This day and age, children are affected by all of the news media. When they showed the first war filmed and everyone stayed home that night to watch it, my daughter saw too much of it. I can't remember which one it was, but my daughter had nightmares of my mother cooking her snakes. She was very disturbed by it all. She was born in 1986 and she was about 4 or 5 years old. Everyone, including me was drawn to i,t because it was on t.v. to see it all. It bothered me also, and I eventually just had to stop watching.

cheley
09-13-2008, 10:39 PM
[quote=Puddinpop;1152582]This day and age, children are affected by all of the news media. When they showed the first war filmed and everyone stayed home that night to watch it, my daughter saw too much of it. I can't remember which one it was, but my daughter had nightmares of my mother cooking her snakes. She was very disturbed by it all. She was born in 1986 and she was about 4 or 5 years old. Everyone, including me was drawn to i,t because it was on t.v. to see it all. It bothered me also, and I eventually just had to stop watching.[/quote Normally our/her T.V. time is Disney Channel..never anything "disturbing"...but, since I was "caught" (on the other TV) watching The History Channel, I was "trapped" into explaining why.. buildings were burning, people were running, papers flying every where, policemen running, firemen running,911 calls,objects (people) leaping out of buildings etc....I didn't sit her down in front of the TV and say, "hey, this is part of history" let's watch....:hug:

miccisue
09-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Watching it, I was particularly moved by the firefighters. Not to downplay anything anyone else did, but with them....when someone panned to any firefighter (or a group of them), you could see in their eyes exactly what the chances were. I don't mean that they weren't giving their all, but it was painfully obvious that they must have been thinking something along the lines of "we have x number of feet of hose, x number of fire hydrants, and we're supposed to try and knock down a fire 60-70 stories up." (I don't imagine there would be much water pressure to try and put out that fire having to travel that distance, but I'm not an expert in any way) Not to mention they knew exactly what the people in the building were going through - the types of temperatures generated, the terrible amount of smoke, etc. I didn't necessarily mean I saw fear, but more a type of resignation.....that they were determined to do their job, but there was a very good chance that they might not come back from it.

I honestly don't remember that kind of footage with the news outlets, and although this had graphic footage in it, I feel it is important to see that side of it. Looking back, what I remember seeing was so sterile. Yes, it affected me, but nowhere near what these homemade videos did. Talking to people who had gotten out, but were covered with dust from the cloud when the tower(s) collapsed.....TV got them after they were "all cleaned up" and it made it harder to fathom exactly what had happened (IMHO, part of that is due to the stuff we see in movies anymore - watching pictures of that cloud, it seemed more like a special effect rather than a reality...to me, at least).

Sad as it was, I'm glad the History Channel aired this. We need to remember all those wonderful people who lost their lives, and the ones they left behind.

Crycket
09-15-2008, 11:07 AM
This day and age, children are affected by all of the news media. When they showed the first war filmed and everyone stayed home that night to watch it, my daughter saw too much of it. I can't remember which one it was, but my daughter had nightmares of my mother cooking her snakes. She was very disturbed by it all. She was born in 1986 and she was about 4 or 5 years old. Everyone, including me was drawn to i,t because it was on t.v. to see it all. It bothered me also, and I eventually just had to stop watching.

Oh I remember feeling that way when I was little...and it didn't seem as though the media was as rampant then (mind you...I was little...I was watching Jem and the Holograms, not the news) I remember feeling like the house would come crashing in when it thunder and lighteninged out...

Sometimes I still feel that way...the news is a powerful thing...the gas prices are slated to go up 12 cents a litre, I panic, something like 9/11 happens, I panic. I have what my doctor calls fiberous tissue in my right breast, which even with all her reassurance that it is nothing, I panic about it being cancer....

I sometimes wish we could step back even 50 years, and just SLOW DOWN....everything has gotten so fast. There is no time for family and friends anymore, money means more your health, you have to work almost 24/7 to catch up...everything you can buy at the grocery store these days is laced with chemicals so that it can be frozen and/or preserved for many moons....

That is a very sinical look at it all..but sometimes it is very overwhelming...but I do wish that we could all recoup our Sundays off (remember when things were closed on Sunday) I am not religious, but it was nice to have a day where you had to focus on things like cleaning the house, or spending time with the family, actually going outside to enjoy the garden and such....
I wish that more ppl had the time to prepare meals, rather then dumping them out of cans and just heating them up. I wish that kids didn't have to care about whether they are getting enough "DHA" in their foods. This list could go on forever...but really....No matter what denomination, creed, race or religion we come from, we all have to worship the all mighty dollar...whether we want to or not...

sorry...had to rant....Thanks for listening....

Puddinpop
09-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Cheley, I am glad that you are aware of your child being exposed. I will never forget how it affected my daughter and it was my fault. We lived in a one bedroom house and I was watching the t.v. For several days afterward, it was on t.v. I should have turned it off. Sometimes scary things don't effect children until they try to go to sleep. Now, I try to get my daughter to see that some things will scare her daughter, that she might not be aware of, but she does her best.

feministmama
09-16-2008, 03:26 AM
I just watched and it was as if it was 9/11 right then. I don't know why. It was just engrossing. I think because it was just raw. No added stuff. THe music underneath was so subtle and the cameras were all just how it happened. I was riveted.