PDA

View Full Version : joining wool yarn

outdoordrea
09-13-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm curios on how people join wool yarn. I've been joining wool yarn using the felted join, but I do notice that the join itself is noticable in the work. The thing is, I hate to weave in the ends, mostly because I never feel like I'm actually doing it correctly.

What do you all do?

brittyknits
09-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Depends on the item. If it's anything with a seam, I always, always, always start new yarn at the edge, even if it means wasting a few yards. If it's anything that has an inside and an outside, then when I have a few inches left of the old ball, I just start the new one and after a few sts, go back and knot it. So as far as I can think right now, that leaves scarves, the one thing where the "wrong side" is often visible. In that case you just hide it as best you can, sometimes a couple of sts in from an edge works best. Are you familiar with the Russian Join? A great explanation on that is on the Boy Who Knits website.

MaleKnitter
09-14-2008, 12:53 AM
I use the felted join.
Are you making sure to fray the ends and then snip half of the plies before you felt them together? I love to use this method when working with wool yarn. I never notice it in the finished work... it might be noticeable if I were making lace or something, but usually it is very invisible.

if I am not using a wool yarn, then I use a Russian Join, this join is much trickier and sometimes the little ends pop up to annoy me, but I just snip them carefully and after I get a few inches into the work they disappear into the stitches. (there is a Russian join demonstration on knittinghelp)

but yes, weaving in ends is awful, and yarn companies only make it worse by selling 50gm skeins of yarn. They are truly sadistic. I don't want to join yarn 12-20 times in one sweater.

What are you making out of wool that you do not intend to felt? Something itchy?

anyway, I like to use the felted join. You are the only person who will ever know it is there (after very close scrutinization).
but some don't mind wasting a few yards of yarn, and they like to start at the beginning of a row (which can be very easily hidden in a seam). That is just fine... but make sure you buy a little more yarn that the pattern suggests.
When I have a project 99% complete, and I need just enough yarn to finish a bind off row, and I don't have quite enough, I look at those "few yards" of yarn that I so carelessly wasted and cry (or... do something more manly). That happened to me when I was making a gift last year. I was so mad at myself, I bought ONE more ball of yarn (which took FOREVER to arrive) and that was when I started using the Russian Join.

Jan in CA
09-14-2008, 02:07 AM
If you split the plies so you aren't using the whole yarn it's a lot less visible. At least it worked for me. :thumbsup:

gingerbread
09-14-2008, 07:55 AM
I also split the plies to join.

:waving:

susi
09-14-2008, 08:25 AM
I also split the plies to join.

Yup me too :thumbsup:

Knitting_Guy
09-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Same as the others, I split them so the resulting join is the same diameter as the rest of the yarn.

Wanda Witch
09-14-2008, 12:30 PM
I have also begun splitting the plies and it does look a lot better. Give it a try.

outdoordrea
09-14-2008, 03:58 PM
OK! You all talked me into splitting the plies! Thanks so much!

Jan in CA
09-14-2008, 04:47 PM
I merged the other thread with this one. No need for two. ;)

outdoordrea
09-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks, not sure why it got double posted.

Lillian Ho
09-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Here are 2 other methods that I often use to join yarn. This is one that I like to use when knitting lace instead of felting. I undo about 2 inches of yarn into 3 or 4 plies. Then, I put the two ends together opposite ends facing, overlapping the split ends over the whole ones. I braid the 3 ends together on either side. It is a lot more secure than just felting them and not noticeable. The other method is weaving the ends on the back side of the knitted fabric as I work. There is a description of it in Sally Melville's "Color" page 74-75. She has other methods of joining in each of her other knitting books as well.

Lillian