PDA

View Full Version : pattern question -- gusset

NightOwlKnitter
09-15-2008, 03:01 PM
I have knitted a purse (which will be felted) and am almost finished except for the gusset. I don't really understand what the pattern is instructing. I've also asked at my knitting group and it is beyond us all. So any guidance would be greatly appreciated. The bag is to be turned inside out and the pattern reads . . .

"With side seams facing you, flatten the bottom of the bag, forming a triangular gusset on each side approximatley 3" deep. Sew across their bases, fold the triangles in toward each other and sew them down."

Again, Thank You!
Kim

Ingrid
09-19-2008, 07:01 PM
If you haven't figured this out yet, you're going to do it like this:

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/SudsMan/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpghttp://www.tostetoes.com/images/totebag4.gif

Daylilydayzed
09-26-2008, 05:42 PM
I understand this direction: "With side seams facing you, flatten the bottom of the bag, forming a triangular gusset on each side approximatley 3" deep. Sew across their bases, fold the triangles in toward each other and sew them down." It means to bring the middle of the bottom to the side seam to flatten the bottom of the bag into a squareish shape. I do that to tote bags to make the bottom so it will sit flat instead of a folded bottom. Sew across the triangle shape and then fold them up and tack to the seam. It really is easy to do. Just make sure that you measure out the 3 inches and mark your stitching line perpindicular to the triangle. This little diagram |-. The short line wouild be the triangle and the long line woild be the stitching line.
Sometimes it helps to be a sewer who picked up knitting as a second skill.