PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Fit Exercise Into Your Schedule? / I Got My Treadmill!

auburnchick
09-16-2008, 08:56 AM
Hi all!

Question...

If you exercise, when do you make time for it?

I've recently become aware that my clothes aren't fitting like they should, and I'm more than willing to accept that the fault doesn't lie with my washing machine. I'm sure it must have been my over-indulgence in chocolate. :angelgrin:

I'm not what you would consider overweight...y'all would be tsk, tsking me for saying anything if you saw me. But I know my body and see myself unclothed. :rofl:

Now that you have that mental image...:teehee:

Anyhow, I have a couple of problems...

One: Motivation
Two: Time

One could argue that there's not enough time in the day.

Phooey.

Ideally, what I'd love to have is a treadmill. Of course, my budget will not allow for that.

So, I need to get outside and walk in the beautiful neighborhood I live in.

Easier said than done.

I have managed to walk three days in a row. I even got up at 5am this morning and walked...was so wonderful...72 degrees...took one of the dogs...

I will say that I feel so good afterward...makes me feel bad for hemming and hawing about it.

Anyhow, how do you get yourself motivated, and what are some ways you've discovered that help you fit it into your busy schedules?

:muah:

cdjack
09-16-2008, 09:02 AM
I do my pilates routine for 30 minutes at least three days a week.
I allow myself to watch TV while I'm doing it.
I'd love to ride my bike in the morning too, but it is just now becoming bearable enough to do that.

susi
09-16-2008, 09:09 AM
I wish i could get the motervation as well. I am determind when i move next week its a new start. If ds's new school isnt to far we will be walking there everyday. I will be starting to work my fatty ponies again (not ride just yet but this is a good start). and i plan to learn to ride a bike, i never did it as a child so should be a chalange on staying on :roflhard: .

If you find soemthing id love to know so i can make myself get my butt into gear as well :aww:

Luvmyrottnboy
09-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Almost 20 years ago I joined a gym...I was scared, unmotivated, shy, you name it. But I joined because I was recovering from a severe back injury and vowed never to have that happen again.

I started by taking beginner aerobics classes. Within 2 weeks I was hooked! It was like going out to play with my friends. Within 6 months I made a bunch of new friends and was the happiest I had ever been.

Within 1 year I got my personal training certification and group exercise certification. I started to teach...admittedly not easy but before long I was a pro and was pulling great numbers in my classes.

So I got paid to exercise! I was wonderful and sooooo much fun.

Joining a gym is hard but if you find the right place it can be a lot of fun and you will find yourself looking forward to it as part of your social life:cheering: Most folks don't go on to teach or train but a gym membersip can be a wonderful thing!

auburnchick
09-16-2008, 09:36 AM
I totally miss being home full-time. I used to walk my kids to school...later bike with them. Then I'd head over to the gym for a couple of hours before volunteering at their schools.

I work part-time now, and I get home around 2:45, although with all of the running around I've been doing lately, it's sometimes as late as 5 before I get to the house. I'm fortunate, I know.

Sigh...

auburnchick
09-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Yes, I loved the gym. My problem now is in the going and getting back.

I've found that I can do things here and there, such as doing calf raises (going on tip toes) when I'm brushing my teeth or doing my makeup. I can get in some squats when I'm watching TV. Same thing for the crunches, although it would be nice to have a clean floor. :rofl:

Last night, I pulled out the weights and did a few things for my shoulders and triceps. Course, after I thought I pulled something in my right arm, I stopped.

It's called exercise. Something my arm is apparently not used to. :roflhard:

figaro
09-16-2008, 09:46 AM
I have a treadmill and I do need to use it more. Now that the kids are in school I have a hour or so in the afternoon when the youngest is taking her nap, I am walking on it then. And since its in the basement with the tv, it is not that boring!

Have you checked out Craigs List for your area? Every now and then, I go on there just to check things out and see treadmills. You might find one in good shape for not a lot of money.

Knitting_Guy
09-16-2008, 09:46 AM
For me it's called "work".

Sewing Angel
09-16-2008, 10:35 AM
I wear a pedometer every day. Have you heard of the 10,000 steps a day program? I have been doing this for 5+ years. I try to get between 10 and 15,000 steps a day. I also do pilates or core secrets between 3 and 5 times a week. I have slacked off a little and I have had a lot more back and shoulder pain (lifting DD at 75 lbs contributes to that!)
I totally understand about the clothes not fitting how they should. That is one of the things that got me started. Also, knowing that I needed to be able to lift and care for DD has been a motivator. I can't really go to a gym, so I have to be my own monitor on this.
Oh and how tight my jeans fit!

Crycket
09-16-2008, 10:48 AM
I was into doing a bit of pilates at the end of the night. That is when I was working. I found about 3 DVDs that I could rotate, and each had workouts that varied from 5-10 mins, and could be customized. So if I had more than 10 mins, I could get a bit more in. Only needed a mat...

These days, I have been off and fighting the urge to just knit 24 hours straight...but I take the dog for a walk...for at least 45 mins a day...and that is keeping me....well...where I was before I was laid off...*smiles*

Plantgoddess+
09-16-2008, 06:39 PM
My dogs are my personal trainers. I have made it a point for the last 10 years to walk whatever dogs I have at the time everyday for at least 30 minutes. The 2 I have now start watching me from the time they finish breakfast until I give in and take them. I'm lucky in that I can walk on my own property, but I start with a 1/4 mile climb up a steep hill and then another 1/4 mile on up the ridge and the rest is easy up and down. In the summer I walk about 20 minutes after getting up. I have to feed horses, dogs and make coffee. I fill a travel mug with coffee and set out.
Friends are another great way, I've been able to stay home the last couple of years and have taken up hiking, biking, and kayaking with friends. I live in the Northwest so never run out of incredible areas to explore.
I also garden about 1 acre of property around the house as well as a deceased friends yard which is almost as large as mine.

mks22300
09-16-2008, 07:29 PM
My excerise is chasing 13 preschoolers around everyday! :teehee:

feministmama
09-16-2008, 07:43 PM
I think friends are a great motivator. My mother has been doing a couple mile walk with a bunch of other women for years now and she loves it. She gets up 5am everyday too. Now I'm a different story. I don't have friends near by to walk with (I should get some huh?) I try to walk in the mornings after I drop off the boy at school. I don't have to be at work till later. But I inevitably sit down in front of the computer and before you know it I'm late for work! I also try to study and I end up falling asleep :roll:. So then I tried riding the bicycle in the gym at my university. It's open weird hours so that doesn't work too well too often. Then I have a Nordic track. The old fashion wooden kind. It's a good workout but my feet slip around on the gliders and I hate that. I also have tapes or sometimes I watch the tape but listen to my own music and jump around.

So I guess what I'm saying is variation and try to make friends.

feministmama
09-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Oh and I have a friend who sometimes walks home from work instead of taking the bus. It takes her hour but its a way to add exercise in her day

knitgal
09-17-2008, 08:55 AM
You know, one of the main reasons people don't exercise is time. They say they don't have it. Here's the thing though, you have time to knit and time to be on here. I know it must be hard to find the time, but once you start you will feel awesome.

You have more than one dog, don't you? Take them both for a good long walk. Walking is great exercise.

I joined a gym recently and have found that I really enjoy going and doing the eliptical or the treadmill for 30-40 minutes and then weights for 20-30. Usually I am done within an hour. I'm sure you have an hour that you usually sit and knit.

I usually go whenever I can, even if I'm exhausted from work. I stand and walk in heels for 8 hours at work and sometimes I am practically limping, but I will still go because it actually makes me feel better. I also try to commit to 3 days a week at the gym. 3 days could be 2 days on the weekend and one other day. I find it helpful to track my exercise on the Body by Glamour site. It lets you log your minutes and it's really encouraging to see the progress.

Sunshine's Mom
09-17-2008, 09:53 AM
My husband and I go into our backyard and play badminton! We're having so much fun. We also have a paddle ball court so we're trying that once it gets too windy to use the badminton birdies. I think our doing something fun makes exercise easier than just, you know, "exercising". We also have lots of gym equipment in the basement including an eliptical machine and we use these in the winter. But, I'm really enjoying the badminton. Haven't seen the clothes get looser yet, but I am having fun!

hartleystudio
09-17-2008, 12:41 PM
I can really speak to this. Over the last few years and babies I have gained my fair share of weight. Nothing was fitting and I was having to make the change to the plus size department. I joined a gym and have been going about 3 times a week for 18 months. I got in shape, worked out really hard (ran bleachers, lifted weight ect. Not wimpy stuff) I lost a few pounds and body fat but never really lost weight like I wanted.

THEN,...my dog got really sick and almost died and my Dad died and I lost my appetite. (I would not recommend this diet to anyone) 6 weeks later I am 20 pounds lighter, fit into all my clothes and feel much better. The dog lived and we buried my Dad and life goes on.

I asked at the gym about this and they said that working out is a terrible way to loose weight. (if you pm me I can get a copy of the article they gave me, it was really good) You will be healthier and feel much better (I do) but if you want to loose weight you have to eat less. I have found this to be totally true. I was shocked at how little I needed to eat to feel full and keep my energy up. My terrible 6 weeks really opened my eyes to how much I was eating and how much of it was unnecessary.

So, I still go to the gym and enjoy it but I really eat much less now than I used to.

I hope that helps. The gym will make you feel like a superstar but you need to eat much less at the same time to loose weight.

Good luck!!!!!

Jan in CA
09-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Exercise? What's that? :shifty:

:teehee:

Abbily
09-17-2008, 03:47 PM
I go to Curves 3x a week. It's cheaper than the gyms around here, it's quick and it's a no-brainer. 30 minute workout in circuit fashion where you do each machine for 30 seconds, and you go around twice. There are also prescribed stretches that take maybe 5 minutes altogether. I go during my lunch break with one of my coworkers, so we keep each other honest about going.

jcmom
09-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Unfortunately, what made me start going to the gym was the diagnosis of osteopenia. I guess it's like pre-osteoporosis. Shook me up since I'm not that old. Anyway, we also homeschool, so my DD and I go after she does algebra and it's then her PE. We also got a good deal on the membership. Surprisingly, I like it. It's also within two miles from my house. It was getting into the habit that did it for us. Go do whatever works for you.

auburnchick
09-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Oh wow! Y'all have wonderful ideas and have been very encouraging!

:hug:

I did find a treadmill on Craig's List. Thank you so much for that tip! I'm currently trying to negotiate the seller down just a tiny bit. I think that bringing in a machine will allow me to have the best of two worlds...my favorite tv shows and the exercise. It will also allow me to walk in the mornings when it's too dark and not as safe to be out.

I also agree about the eating less thing. I've done two, 10-day juice fasts, and during those, I've always been amazed at how very little you need to sustain your body. If it's the right stuff, your body runs so efficiently! I'd love to do another one soon...if anyone is game to do it with me, it would be fun!

I've been walking the dogs lately, and they have LOVED it! I have to take one at a time because they are strong and act obnoxious when they are together, making it too difficult to control them.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who's struggling with this...

:grphug:

cftwo
09-18-2008, 01:44 PM
For motivation, I put stickers on the calendar to indicate what days I've worked out. I MAY (haven't decided yet) give myself some sort of reward if/when I work out a certain # of times per month.

For time, I either set the alarm early and workout then, or I'll work out right when I get home. I most often use exercise DVDs. I have a good sized collection so there's plenty of variety.

I moved this summer, and am now trying to get myself back in the habit of working out. It's hard to get a habit established.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
09-18-2008, 05:22 PM
I walk every day for at least 30 minutes. I'm highly competitive and I like to challenge myself (at this point I can walk just shy of 3 miles in 30 minutes).

I deal with seasonal depression so getting outside and walking is a priority for me. I usually do it after classes so that I can unwind a bit once I get home and be recharged so I have the energy to tackle homework and handle my kids.

After walking, i also do a short, lightweight (no more than 5 pounds) weightlifting that takes about 20 minutes to complete....

hey it works... since October 2006 I've managed to drop 123 pounds (and it has STAYED OFF) doing this and barely modifiying what i eat.

MoniDew
09-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Hi, don't know if anyone here still remembers me, but I used to be pretty active about a year and a half ago. I have just started coming back to the site, lurking, waiting for a place to jump in. Guess now's the time.
I had a horrible blow to my life a while back, and the grief, anger, depression, etc. led me to gain about 80lbs over just a couple of years. I have been trying to deal with my issues (and yes, I probably should be medicated) but one of the things I need to deal with now is the WEIGHT, and the health consequences that have piled up as a result.
Adding obesity to grief is like adding insult to injury.
Anyway, I need to exercise daily, too. And watch what I eat. Lot of great people here have already shared a lot of great ideas on what to do. Do what works for you! Just stick to it.
Maybe we can find a way to lovingly encourage eachother to eat right, exercise, etc.
________
Yamaha Sr500 (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_SR500)

Debkcs
09-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Nathalie, my first thought when I read the title of your post was to put a thousand :roflhard: 's on the page, but I then started thinking about how my clothes don't fit too well now either, and I'm already a big 'girl'. Carrying 40 extra pounds on a 6'1" frame is still carrying 40 pounds too much. I'd love to use stress, pain, illness (and lately, grief) to cover all my excuses, but with my belief system, I've been given this body to take care of, and I don't.

So Moni,if you need some gentle reminders, and wouldn't mind passing some on, maybe we can encourage one another to get out and move some. We have a 'fitness center' here in this complex, but I'm thinking the Y might be good, if even for the pool.

Anyone want to start a daily log with me, maybe in the blog section?

auburnchick
09-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Hi Moni! Nice to have you back. :hug:

I'm so sorry for your recent heartbreak. It sounds like you're slowly starting to heal.

:hug:

I think I would do really well if I was accountable to others.

Maybe we could start a thread here in this forum. Or, we could put it in the Blog Forum and title it something appropriate...maybe:

The KH Exercise Blog

Not very creative, eh?

Anyhow, we could put our tips and updates in it. Perhaps some of us do better in the mornings, and others do better in the evenings. Whatever it is, it sounds like we need encouragement.

Thoughts?

Oh, and BTW, I am definitely getting the treadmill. The guy is probably going to deliver it to me on Sunday. I am so excited! Thank you to whoever gave me the suggestion to try Craig's List!

:muah::muah::muah::muah::muah::muah:

figaro
09-20-2008, 09:03 AM
That was me! Craig's List I think can be a very good tool as long as you keep your eyes open. We sold our old queen bed with frame and a set of sheets to a guy who just needed a new bed, got a couple hundred for it! I have also bought my girl's old school desks for a total of $30.

I am glad to hear that you did get one, they are great if you walk on it, I am trying to more but I got hit with a small cold so I need to start again next week.

auburnchick
09-20-2008, 10:08 AM
You rock!

I was very surprised to see that there's a listing in my small city.

:happydance:

1knittychick
09-20-2008, 10:20 AM
When I joined Weight Watchers , I started walking everyday. I've lost 11 pounds. I stopped walking when I became unemployed (being depressed takes alot out of you.) I haven't gained any of the 11 back, but I know that I need to get back into my walking routine. I'm starting back walking and feel better. I need someone to push me. The blog sounds like a good idea to me.

Debkcs
09-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Craig's List is awesome. One of his friends/employees says he's sorry that he ever put his own name on it though. Kind of funny, but he did us a big favor.

I'll march over to the Blog site and see if anyone smarter at it than me has started it up for us.

auburnchick
09-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Hey, y'all...

Deb set up a blog thread here (http://knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1155311#post1155311), if you want to start posting updates on daily exercise, weight loss goals, etc...

Puddinpop
09-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Congratulations Stacia!

vaknitter
09-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Its cool that you posted this thread. One thing after the other has kept the hubby and I from consistently making it to the gym regularly for the last few months and simultaneously we've been grabbing a lot of meals here and there, not sitting down for a good meal together. Not only do I feel sluggish, but the pants are getting a little snug. Then would you believe I ordered a gorgeous JCrew dress for my brothers wedding in a month and it is uncomfortably tight around my chest.
I have 2 dogs that keep me honest about walking twice a day and I am on my feet in the hosp all day 5 days a week. As odd as it seems I think my body has adapted to that degree of exercise and I really need to get back to the gym and all my crunches to get in this dress for the wedding !! So if you don't mind I would love to join the motivation blog and have you guys keep me honest.

auburnchick
09-20-2008, 09:55 PM
You're right...our bodies DO get used to whatever our regular workout is.

If you ever read or listen to someone talk about their path to weight loss, they talk about hitting a wall, so they changed up their exercise and wham-o, bang-o, things started happening again.

You probably should try adding some weight training in there. That might kick-start your metabolism.

Ronda
09-21-2008, 10:13 AM
I force myself to make time, which can be very difficult, I know. For me, though, I feel better when I exercise.

I was doing 30 minutes on my elliptical machine 5 days a week with occasional step aerobic workouts, but in the last week I have had to put it on hold because of my knee. I guess from the repetitive motion, I ended up with a fluid collection/inflammation in my knee. Ortho doc told me I need to quit doing so much aerobics (I'm a former step aerobics teacher) and start trying yoga and Pilates. My problem is if my heart rate doesn't go up to 150 beats per minute and I don't sweat, I don't feel like it's a workout!

So, anyway, I purchased a 40-minute Pilates DVD with an exercise band, and I have a yoga tape. Once my knee is good, I'll do my elliptical maybe 2 or 3 times a week and the other stuff on the other days.

I really feel that you have to make exercise a priority in your life...

feministmama
09-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Nathalie, my first thought when I read the title of your post was to put a thousand :roflhard: 's on the page, but I then started thinking about how my clothes don't fit too well now either, and I'm already a big 'girl'. Carrying 40 extra pounds on a 6'1" frame is still carrying 40 pounds too much. I'd love to use stress, pain, illness (and lately, grief) to cover all my excuses, but with my belief system, I've been given this body to take care of, and I don't.

I'm 6'1" too! And I was skinny all my life till I had a baby and now I look like everyone else. I think I have 40 extra pounds all in my tummy. How do I loose just that? :teehee:

kemp
09-22-2008, 11:57 AM
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet... www.sparkpeople.com Their counting calories tool is awesome...has tons of restaurant food in it. You can also log exercise, keep a blog, friend people etc and make groups. Maybe a KH group there would be a good way to do it?

auburnchick
09-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Hey all...

Thought you might like to know that I now have my treadmill! The gal I bought it from delivered it to me last night.

Here it is...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3045/2885418341_dfcf80fcfa.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3294/2885418537_3e38931b76.jpg

It has an on-board fan and inclines too.

I'm going to try to "really" use it in the next couple of days.

figaro
09-24-2008, 06:52 PM
:cheering::cheering::cheering:YAY! Every time I use mine, the fan is going and I am on a 3% incline going about 2.5 to 3 miles a hour. I am going to start walking again, I am feeling better so that will help out. Have fun with your treadmill!

(May I ask how much you bought yours for? We paid about $1000 new for ours maybe 2-3 years ago)

auburnchick
09-24-2008, 09:16 PM
The gal was asking $250, but I got her down to $200.

She got it from a lady she works with, who had received it as a gift from her hubby but never used it. The gal I got it from used it about three or four times. So, it's practically brand new.

:happydance:

Puddinpop
09-24-2008, 09:41 PM
I like the fan. I can't ever get cooled down when I am on mine. Probably if I did it more often, I wouldn't get so hot. Congratulations.

figaro
09-24-2008, 10:00 PM
You made out like a bandit! $200 for a perfectly good treadmill, woohoo!:happydance:

auburnchick
09-24-2008, 10:39 PM
You made out like a bandit! $200 for a perfectly good treadmill, woohoo!:happydance:

Yeah, that's what I figured. I think the seller really wanted to get rid of her oversized clothes hanger. :rofl: