PDA

View Full Version : Sick of Explaining Why I Knit

knitpurlgurl
09-16-2008, 11:36 AM
:whoosh: Does anyone else encounter this: You're in a public place (at the park with DD) and people actually walk up to you and with a giggle in their voice, ask why you knit.. Or a family member makes fun of you because apparently only old ladies with white hair, cardigans, rocking chairs, and 300 cats are acceptable knitters..

:gah: Sorry to vent.. I just wish that people (family members especially) wouldn't treat it like such an oddity. I love knitting. I generally give the "Why I Knit (http://knitpurlgurl.blogspot.com/2008/07/why-i-knit.html)" monologue every time I knit in front of another person (unless at knitting group). Why is it so hard for people (non-knitters) to believe that knitting is fun and relaxing?

I know I'm being sensitive about this - but after a couple of years of knitting, my family members (and especially DH's family members) continue to rib me about this as a hobby.

knitpicky
09-16-2008, 12:16 PM
I know why you knit. Same reason I knit, I have a son with Autism, this is for me, and it helps me relax. Then again, I'm usually knitting something for someone else so it serves dual purposes which, having a child with special needs, I know we mom's do this kind of thinking. We are always looking for several levels in our reasoning; And this is something you can do that not everyone else can.
Besides that, they're most likely jealous.
When people give you a hard time you should make them a hat.
And make it a hat that they'll really want to wear. Like in their favorite color or out of some really cool yarn, or do something to it like put jingle bells on it for children or do it in a team color.
Then you can smile when they wear it and they'll shut up.

Seems like everyone else crochets.
We're the odd man out. I like that about knitters.
:hug:

The.Knitter
09-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Personally I think that they are jealous! My DD says things like `what are you doing today, as if I have to ask`. I usually respond with I am knitting! No one asks me why I am knitting, I just get weird looks. I have actually been told NOT to bring my knitting to family gatherings, by family members. One family member asked for knitted items, but then never uses them. Only one of my family understands my need for knitting and that is because, after many years of crochetting, she has now tried her hand at knitting and is enjoying it. I think she decided to do it because I was knitting, but who cares what the reason is, she is now converted!

Duessa
09-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Ugh! Why on Earth should I have to explain? Maybe ask them why they are texting, playing video games, reading books, skiing, playing ball games, watching tv, eating junk food, shopping, etc. I could go on and on and on. Tell them that only little kids like video games or that only old men should watch sports. See what they say. My DBF doesn't understand why I want to knit "so much" but he does sorta get it. I can't believe having to explain myself to my friends and fam all the time. I agree with making them something they will use. Kill them with kindness.

heatherg23
09-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi,

Nobody's ever asked me. My family knows why I do it. I can't see why it's such a revelation to strangers when they see you knit. People usually "stop and stear" at something unusual and knitting CAN'T be THAT unusual.

Mirl56
09-16-2008, 01:00 PM
DS says he thinks it's like a drug, that I'm addicted. I just laugh and say 'yes, it's my meds to keep me sane and well-balanced - so I don't go insane living with DH and him!'

Jan in CA
09-16-2008, 01:02 PM
You don't need to be wordy in your explanation to strangers. Just say something like "I knit because I enjoy it" or "I knit because I enjoy it and it gives me satisfaction to hold something in my hands that I created" and then let it go. In fact this works with people you know as well. If they don't understand it then that is not your problem.

Wanda Witch
09-16-2008, 01:04 PM
DS says he thinks it's like a drug, that I'm addicted. I just laugh and say 'yes, it's my meds to keep me sane and well-balanced - so I don't go insane living with DH and him!'

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

cftwo
09-16-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm lucky. I'm from a family of crafters, and it's sort of expected that the women will be crafty. If you don't knit, you surely do something. My boss even understands that I can knit and read at the same time, and doesn't mind if I do so.

DorothyDot
09-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Jeepers, whenever I get asked that question... I'm delighted!

I love knitting - I love how it helps me cope with life, I love how it is the ultimate expression of caring, I love how the results can be used over and over, I love how relaxing it is.

The more people I can help find this amazing, many-faceted love of knitting, the happier I am! So ---

Please!!!! Go ahead... ASK me WHY I KNIT. The answer just might make your life better!

Dot

brittyknits
09-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Wow-- no offense to your relatives, but they sound like a hostile bunch. I personally wouldn't even dignify it with an answer, and if they kept asking, I'd finally just look at them as if they were an annoying child and say, "this is really the most clever thing you can come up with to talk about?" When a stranger asks, I think just saying, "because it's very relaxing and creative" is short and sweet and if they continue with an "only old ladies with white hair" comment, then that's pretty bold to push with someone you don't know, and I'd ignore them.

cacunn
09-16-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm a guy, who wears kilts, knits and even knits in public kilted:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w173/cacunn/100_0016_r2.jpg

When asked why I'm knitting, with a straight face, but strange glint in my eye, answer.

"The shrinks at the VA Hospital say that knitting will help me with my issues, but then they got concerned because of the sharp knitting needles in my hands."

Can you explain why they leave very quickly? :roflhard: :rofl:

brittyknits
09-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Very, very good.:)

Simply_Renee
09-16-2008, 01:39 PM
"The shrinks at the VA Hospital say that knitting will help me with my issues, but then they got concerned because of the sharp knitting needles in my hands."

I LOVE it! My husband is a disabled vet, but all attempts to get him to knit have failed. We just went to our Celtic Festival (I volunteered at it) last weekend. I read that men primarily knitted (kilt hose & the like.)

You have definitely mastered the "I live how I like to, go ahead and stare" bit. :yay:

I have never had anyone ask me why I knit- it's usually the "How do you have time for that". Oh pul-leaze!

cacunn
09-16-2008, 01:47 PM
I LOVE it! My husband is a disabled vet, but all attempts to get him to knit have failed. We just went to our Celtic Festival (I volunteered at it) last weekend. I read that men primarily knitted (kilt hose & the like.)

Thank you husband service.

Also tell him that the only way to get good fitting kilt hose is to knit them yourself.

Chris
Army
Sgt.
Chief of Section
175 mm Gun
2/94 & 8/4 Field Artillery
Vietnam 71-72

kellyh57
09-16-2008, 01:50 PM
I hate the "Oh, I can't do that" when people see it. It's not that hard. I tell people if they learned to tie shoes, they can learn to knit. I was told to never say "I can't" unless it's something you are truly incapable of doing! (For instance, I CANNOT grow another set of arms to help get everything done!)

Kelly

labeelady
09-16-2008, 02:35 PM
In my case, people see me knitting and say "I don't have enough patience for that", or "I wish I could do that but I'm all thumbs".

I've always liked doing things with my hands, like putting things together (jigsaw puzzles were an obsession when I was in school), and then I learned how to do needlework! No more jigsaw puzzles!

When I was working, I was always found crocheting or knitting in the breakroom, and a lot of times people would come in wanting to know what I was working on. When I joined the local crochet guild early on, I convinced a fellow employee to come to a meeting and she's been coming ever since!

Now that I'm retired, there are a lot of projects going, and it's always a tough choice to decide what to work on next. I find myself spending more time trying to decide what to work on than actually knitting or crocheting!

Abbily
09-16-2008, 02:37 PM
I think, for repeat offenders, I would counter their question with "Why do you ask rude questions?"

OK, I probably wouldn't... but I'd want to. :)

susi
09-16-2008, 03:17 PM
My family describe me as old before my time because i knit.

If i make anything for a baby i get the comment are you and kevin (other half) trying to tell us something. umm, no i just make things to help other people when i can, like theres something wrong with it.

My partner talks like its an adiction, which of course it is :woot: . he loves that i knit thankfully.
I've only ever knitted in public once, then i just got kids watching me and one mum and daughter asking to have ago.

I dont mind people asking propper questions, i get annoyed with the who on the earth do you do that when you could just go to the shop and buy it. But each to their own

DQ
09-16-2008, 03:18 PM
I think, for repeat offenders, I would counter their question with "Why do you ask rude questions?"

OK, I probably wouldn't... but I'd want to. :)

Ooh, I like that :teehee: I'd probably just say 'Why not?'

Crycket
09-16-2008, 03:19 PM
I think it is funny that ppl assume that all little old ladies know how to knit, and don't seem to understand, it isn't just a hobby for when you are retired. I should think that most woman (especially in my Grandmas era - born at the early turn of the 1900's) probably needed to have darning, crochet, knitting, quilting and other crafty skills. It was more likely at the time to need to fix clothing rather than just throw it out and buy a new one. Likely, it was cheaper at the time to, just to aquire the materials, and make it from scratch.

I am quickly learning that materials do cost more than just buying the finished product these days (except for some things, for example, I am knitting a Girl Guide vest, rather than replacing the polar fleece one I have - it would cost almost $40 to get the fleece one...and I am only using about $15 of super saver yarn for the knitting clone)

Back to the topic, little old ladies likely knit because they have always knit, and probably enjoy it...

I will one day be a knitting little old lady, but know I am aquiring the skills to be that awesomely skilled little old lady! *smiles*

dodgerfan
09-16-2008, 03:23 PM
I feel your pain! I'm 23 and always get the comment that only little old ladies knit. Oh well people will get over it, at least I know I can make something with my hands that most people cannot. Anyways, after I make something for someone they ususally learn to apperciate my knitting. Hang in there, we all know that its fun and relaxing, the rest of the world is just missing out!

nephthys8
09-16-2008, 03:34 PM
I feel your pain! I'm 23 and always get the comment that only little old ladies knit.

Seconded!!

Roomie/DBF (looooooong story there) makes fun of me constantly for knitting. He says (because he's mean like this) that he's "never seen someone knit who hadn't already resigned themselves to death." Then I showed him the scarf I was making for my guy friend and how well it was turning out and he made some goofy/non-serious remark about, "oh I wonder what you'll make for me?" I looked back at him and said, in all seriousness, "you get nothing because you make fun of me all the time" and that is exactly what I intend to stick with.

My family is cool with it though... all of the women in my family are super crafty in one way or another (or have been at one point or another in their lives), so this is so not unusual in my family. In fact, I'm quite excited to see my grandmother next and show her that I've taught myself a lot.

KnittinMitchie
09-16-2008, 04:01 PM
I knit and my family has embraced it and they are very supportive. My mom crochets, my MIL, Aunt, hubby's one grandma ALL knit and to top it off my grandpa, same aunt and MIL all quilt. See the crafty gene runs through both sides of the family. ( I can NOT cut a straight line with a ruler and rotary cutter for the life of me.)

So when I decided to learn to knit it was an okay thing and no one said much of anything. The following year I brushed up on my crochet skills and off I went. Last year for Christmas and birthday I got yarn and a gift card to Hobby Lobby. It was what I wanted and made shopping VERY easy for my family.

This year I got into spinning fiber. Yeah It was something I knew was coming as I had been looking into it and reading up on it. The family STILL said okay and supported me. April rolled around and I told hubby I NEEDED a wheel. After 2 very long months of looking and compairing and the constant talking about it I found a used Ashford Traditonal :) for not a whole lot of money ( yes buying a used wheel is a GOOD idea.)

When christmas rolls around now my family is almost garenteed SOMETHING hand made. and the best part is they actually like it.

As for the knit/crochet/spin in public it doestnt bother me one bit when people stare and snicker. Let then I'm not hurting anyone or anything. It keeps me sain and I'm not bored while waiting. I even take my knitting to our friend's house and knit there. All they ask is what I'm working now.

tgwillis
09-16-2008, 04:10 PM
As the Mom of a 13 year old with Aspergers I know way you knit. It has become my escape and rest at the end of the day.(it is cheaper and more rewarding than paying a therapist) My family thinks I am a little off anyway. I make my own bread, sew and love canning. So when I added knitting they had already stopped trying to figure me out. :aww:

tgwillis
09-16-2008, 04:28 PM

When asked why I'm knitting, with a straight face, but strange glint in my eye, answer.

:roflhard:

tokmom
09-16-2008, 04:37 PM
As a mom of 7 kids, one a special needs child (Apraxia, auditory processing and sensory disorder) it's my escape at the end of the day as well.
I could be drinking, gambling my money away. Instead I buy yarn and make pretty things.;)

Plantgoddess+
09-16-2008, 05:19 PM
I have had only one person be dismissive of knitting to me when I knit in public. Most people have been curious and asked numerous questions about the difficulty ( I knit socks on dpns in public as it's easy to carry). I have had teenage girls ask a lot of questions and get excited when I mention all the fabulous patterns for fingerless mitts, shrugs and other items that are fashionable today. I have given the URL for this site out to most everyone who seems the least bit interested
For the negative commenter I just remarked that everyone has ways of expressing creativity and this is one way I enjoy doing that.

hainangel2000
09-16-2008, 06:54 PM
"I can't" lolol I have heard that one too, I think inside of myself is did I ask if you can lolol not saying in a rude way but sometimes were not asking..

My favorite is when I am at a craft fair trying to benefit our charity and instead of the people taking the time to see what we are doing and what for, they go off on how they can't knit, (it was stuff we made to sale to benefit our charity) I am not sure why they assumed I was asking if they could knit or not lolol
Or walk by I don't know any babies or have any babies. But if they were not in such a hurry they would see that the table didn't have baby items on it, but just seen a baby picture from the corner of their eye and didn't even see that we were not selling baby items, but bags, purses and other items. Anyway I guess I needed to vent too..

Hey who like the person who has the quick "I want to learn to knit" and wants you to drop everything to try and do a quick class, and we all know knitting takes time to learn and cannot be learned in the 5 min they give you to try to teach and learn it in!!!
OK I am done now......

brittyknits
09-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Hmmmm. . .if someone looks at something I've knitted or am in the process of knitting and says, "I can't knit" or "I could never do that in a million years", I take that as a gigantic compliment. Actually, I can't imagine it being intended in any other way. They couldn't possibly be implying "and it's stupid that you do". If someone went up to Lang Lang and said, "I can't play the piano" or "I could never do that in a million years", do you think he would find any sort of dis in that????:think:

cretin
09-16-2008, 10:23 PM
when asked my default is, "it keeps my hands off you throat". My wife calls me granny. And about a year ago a friend said " hey ***** why don't you knit me a new G-string? yer mama ate my last one" so I did and we made him wear it.:thumbsup:

Nobones
09-17-2008, 05:47 AM

Well we all know what you keep in your sporran then!

saracidaltendencies
09-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Man, are there really people who make such a big deal about seeing someone knitting?? I've never experienced it but then again, I probably confuse people...lol...I've got tattoos all up and down my arms and my septum and eyebrow pierced and I'll sit in a dr.s waiting room or dentist office with my 2 kids and knit...lol...I've had people staring but never anyone who's said anything negative! I seriously don't understand why anyone would make a big deal over someone knitting. Now if we were threatening people with our needles, that's another story :teehee:

cacunn
09-17-2008, 09:20 AM
when asked my default is, "it keeps my hands off you throat". My wife calls me granny. And about a year ago a friend said " hey ***** why don't you knit me a new G-string? yer mama ate my last one" so I did and we made him wear it.:thumbsup:

I hope it was in very rough wool.

blueygh2
09-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Ha I love the "it keeps my hand off your throat".
Maybe I could come up with something threatening as well...
Normally people just stare. Once someone asked if it was difficult to do. Some giggle, and I only had dissing comments once.

nephthys8
09-17-2008, 10:28 AM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
I love this!

BF brought this exact thing up again last night (was giving me a hard time for knitting) and I thought of this thread! I took some points from here and just said, "How is my knitting any different from they hobbies that you enjoy? It is something that I enjoy doing." For ONCE, he didn't have a snarky reply.

So, thank you to everyone here who has commented. :heart:

Daylilydayzed
09-17-2008, 10:33 AM
When I knit it helps me relax. When people see I am knitting they usually ask what I am making. Once someone asked me why and aI said "It is easier to carry around than my sewing machine and I don't have to fill a bobbin or rethread like I do on the sewing machine". Besides it is creative to see what I made woith a couple of sticks and some string as my husband calls it.

brittyknits
09-17-2008, 11:01 AM
I hope it was in very rough wool.

:roflhard: :roflhard:

nephthys8
09-17-2008, 12:03 PM
When I knit it helps me relax. When people see I am knitting they usually ask what I am making.

Seconded! Most people (usually my co-workers) simply ask what I'm making and I am always happy to share. :)

I started knitting simply because I wanted to learn... but I quickly discovered that it is VERY relaxing for me. So, I love it! :heart:

KnittinMitchie
09-17-2008, 12:40 PM
once I got over the learning curve part I found knitting to be relaxing. I knit in public and people normally ask what I'm working on. My daughter has speech class once a week and ?I try to have a different project just to keep things exciting.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
09-17-2008, 05:49 PM
i just tell them it's my therapy. or if i'm crabby i just say "5 boys."

KnittinMitchie
09-17-2008, 10:25 PM
yup 5 boys would definatley drive you nutty. I still ask myself how our parents mangaged to raise 2 kids and not try to kill one of us. Now I know mom crocheted or cross stitched to keep er sanity.

Duessa
09-18-2008, 08:14 AM
Yesterday a friend of mine said..."you actually knit?! My GRANDMA knits!" And I said, "yeah, so" and he said "No really, most people your age crochet because it's easier, so it's cool that you knit." ROFLMAO! I was so ready to fire back with things you all came up with and here he was, complementing me!

KnittinMitchie
09-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Men have a weird way of complimenting women at time I sweater.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
09-18-2008, 10:00 AM
yup 5 boys would definatley drive you nutty. I still ask myself how our parents mangaged to raise 2 kids and not try to kill one of us. Now I know mom crocheted or cross stitched to keep er sanity.

I got tired of the comments from people because we have a large family the "oh you poor woman, all those boys", the "you must have your hands full!" (hands yep, heart no LOL), and my absolute favorite: "so, are you going to try for a girl?"

Rather than get irritated over it anymore (i don't get the comments much anymore as when dh and I go out, it's just the youngest two with us now that the other 3 are grown up and just about out of the house) I have fun with it.

I got the "who cares" about my knitting more than the crochet from a few women (because they've never tried to crochet i guess) and don't let it bother me...

I think i'm going to go put a bunch of those knitting t-shirts from cafepress on my wish list so dh knows what to buy me :)

Maybe we should go and do a "top 10 reasons why I knit" shirt :)

GinnyG
09-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Hmmm, in over 30 years of knitting no has ever asked me WHY I knit..... they have asked WHAT I am knitting but never WHY.

KnittingFairy
09-18-2008, 12:10 PM
So far, I've received positive comments from family or strangers when I am knitting. I often get questions about what I am making or how a sock (which is usually on my needles) is constructed.

KnittinMitchie
09-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Today I was in the mood to crochet and someone posted a CUTE crochet cupcake purse they did. It is cute and I thought my daughter would like it. So i printed off the pattern found so yarn in my stash and went to work on it.

We had to leave for speech class so I grabbed my small canvas bag pattern yarn and hook and we left. Of course I sit down to wait and get my stuff out. One lady said what ya making? So I told her a cupcake purse and showed her the picture on the pattern. Of course she found it cool. 15 minutes later Dean, one of the speech pathologists, asked me the same thing and he came over and sat to watch me for a few minutes. What blows his mind is that I can read AND understand the directions and know what I'm doing. trust me its taken me some time to grasps it all.

We get talking about crochet and knit stuff and he tells me his 12yr old daughter would probably be interested in learning to knit. I told him she was at a good age to learn and I would be happy to teach her AND him. He said he's think about it.

knitpurlgurl
09-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Today I was in the mood to crochet and someone posted a CUTE crochet cupcake purse they did. It is cute and I thought my daughter would like it. So i printed off the pattern found so yarn in my stash and went to work on it.

We had to leave for speech class so I grabbed my small canvas bag pattern yarn and hook and we left. Of course I sit down to wait and get my stuff out. One lady said what ya making? So I told her a cupcake purse and showed her the picture on the pattern. Of course she found it cool. 15 minutes later Dean, one of the speech pathologists, asked me the same thing and he came over and sat to watch me for a few minutes. What blows his mind is that I can read AND understand the directions and know what I'm doing. trust me its taken me some time to grasps it all.

We get talking about crochet and knit stuff and he tells me his 12yr old daughter would probably be interested in learning to knit. I told him she was at a good age to learn and I would be happy to teach her AND him. He said he's think about it.

Good for you!! Share the craft! I wish someone had shared these crafts with me when I was that age!!! I can't wait to see the cupcake purse. :sun:

jheatherley
09-20-2008, 11:40 AM
How very odd. I've been knitting (and crocheting) for nigh onto 60 years. Not once in all that time has anyone ever asked me why I do it.

Puddinpop
09-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Tell them it's better than Valium or a bottle of whiskey. Maybe that will shut them up.

melbell
09-21-2008, 10:36 AM
I knitted my first sock (a tabi sock) the other day out of red heart super saver multi (very bold bright colors) and I wore it to work with my crocs. I always walk around work with my shoes off but usually my socks are just white...this time only ONE of them was white.

No one really looked at me strange, of course it probably helps if they all already know you are "weird"...and in fact, most of them loved my sock and two people asked me to make them a pair! :)

I even asked the DHL man (who comes to pick up our mail and I have never actually had a conversation with) if he liked my sock and he gave me this big ole grin and said, "yeah you'll have to make me a pair!"

Of course he didn't mean it, but still. I have found that if I'm not apologetic about my quirkiness then people can be far more accepting. This is me, get over it or get moving. Not that knitting should be considered quirky...how do they think their great-great-great-grandparents got any of their clothes...but people still can find it odd.

KnittinMitchie
09-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Also WAY back in the 15th and 16th centuries MEN did all of the knitting and had the knitting guilds and groups. Yup men. and now we look at men who knit and find them "odd".

I know a truck driver who knitted himself a wonderful blue sweater which he look good in. (I speak of Knitting Guy)

Puddinpop
09-22-2008, 09:22 PM
.I've got tattoos all up and down my arms and my septum and eyebrow pierced and I'll sit in a dr.s waiting room or dentist office with my 2 kids and knit.
Demonica, that is a visual that is too funny.

rachael72knitter
09-23-2008, 06:02 AM
There are so few ppl that have a skill these days, a craft, or artistic pursuit. Hardly anyone does pottery, paints, embroiders, or whatever. Plus, with many of these skills, you can't carry them with you like you can your knitting. I mean, ppl don't even pick up a book, or do anything that doesn't include a TV, computer, or gaming system.

I don't think it is just knitting. When ppl see me reading a book I get comments about how they don't ever pick up a book, or they haven't read since highschool.

I think our society is so fast-paced now that they don't understand these things, esp. not knitting. They esp. don't get that it is a form of meditation for us, a time to sit and reflect, and relax while making a product.

I think if ppl are rude about it or act like it is weird, that they are jealous, and if not, it is just sad that they don't see the benefit in having such a skill or being able to produce such beautiful things with our own two hands.

I mean think about the ppl that say something negative about it...do they have a similar artistic skill? or do they while away the hours watching reality TV and talking on their cell phones?

melbell
09-23-2008, 06:49 AM
I mean think about the ppl that say something negative about it...do they have a similar artistic skill?

You would have to assume they don't...otherwise they would understand the satisfaction, even sometimes sheer joy, of creating something and putting yourself into it. It sounds cheesy but people love the gifts that we make.

I made a hooded baby blanket for my nephew and once he got too big to actually use it, he loved nothing more than to wear it like a cape while his daddy "flew" him around the house like superman. Sure you can do that with any blanket or towel or tablecloth...but it makes me feel great to see pictures of him wrapped up in something that I created!

I think that if skeptics would sit and learn just enough knitting to make a little cloth or dishrag, they would understand so much better.

I have found that several honest people, especially older women, see me knitting or see something that I made and they look kinda sad and talk about how they always wanted to learn to knit or crochet and just never found the time to try it.

KnittinMitchie
09-23-2008, 05:07 PM
now that I've embraced the fiber arts I can't imagine not doing any of them. yeah I avoid the house work but this is my way of relaxing and not attempting to strangle the 3 yr old. Plus I've made some wonderful friends thanks to the fact I craft. Come October I will be back into scrap booking cause I'm going to the local Croptober Fest that Creative Memories does.

knitpurlgurl
09-23-2008, 09:26 PM
now that I've embraced the fiber arts I can't imagine not doing any of them. yeah I avoid the house work but this is my way of relaxing and not attempting to strangle the 3 yr old. Plus I've made some wonderful friends thanks to the fact I craft. Come October I will be back into scrap booking cause I'm going to the local Croptober Fest that Creative Memories does.

We have so much in common.. I just started back into scrapbooking. I'm tip-toeing into digital scrapping and will make my way back to paper scrapping and stamping. I too have a 3 yr old that I might have to strangle if I didn't take time to create: whether it be knitting, crafting, or scrapbooking. I also couldn't imagine life without crafts. Even though my life has been really hectic and crazy lately - I eventually make my way back to crafting, knitting, and reading: my calm. :aww:

MoniDew
09-23-2008, 09:47 PM

FANTASTIC! I agree with the "it staves off insanity" defense, in my own case as well. Just curious, are you a Scotsman? If so, knitting one's own Gansey's and Aran's just makes perfect sense!
________
Marijuana Vaporizer (http://weedvaporizers.info/)

MoniDew
09-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Tell them it's better than Valium or a bottle of whiskey. Maybe that will shut them up.

Again, this is my "pleading insanity" defense as well.
________
Elwood Engel (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Elwood_Engel)

KnittinMitchie
09-24-2008, 03:59 PM
We have so much in common.. I just started back into scrapbooking. I'm tip-toeing into digital scrapping and will make my way back to paper scrapping and stamping. I too have a 3 yr old that I might have to strangle if I didn't take time to create: whether it be knitting, crafting, or scrapbooking. I also couldn't imagine life without crafts. Even though my life has been really hectic and crazy lately - I eventually make my way back to crafting, knitting, and reading: my calm. :aww:

SEE kids do it too you. They push you to the edge and see how long it takes to get you to go over. This is why I have to craft.

Sarahc409
09-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Move to New York City...problem solved:teehee: . Just kidding. The opposite is for me, my family doesn't give two hoots, hubby thinks it's the greates thing that I can decypher those patterns (he says I'm sooo smart :roflhard: ) Almost no one ever approaches me when I knit on the bus or subway and when they do it's to tell me that they wish they could knit too. I don't get why people still believe it's something only little old ladies do. In NYC it's more of a hot trend than and old fashion hobby.

Sarah

Skater
09-25-2008, 05:03 PM
I'd simply ask them, "Why DON'T you knit?"

1knittychick
09-25-2008, 06:02 PM
I doesn't bother me as much as it use to. People just watch me and say I wish I could do that. I do love to embarass my son's when I KIP but when I finish a project, I can see they are impressed.

fuzzylock1
09-28-2008, 11:07 PM
I am an African-American knitter. So you know what problem that poses when knitting in public or while around family. The stereotype comes out that knitting is for old white women. As I've knitted and met different people, knitting is for anyone who wants to express themselves. Unfortunately, the eyes stare and the questions come out such as how did you learn to do that. Sometimes I hear, "You are to young to be knitting." I am 33 years old and I enjoy every minute of it. I am not angry just tired of hearing that since I am African-American and 33 years old, I should not be knitting.

LalaBee
09-29-2008, 02:25 AM
I currently live in Seoul, South Korea. Basically anyone who does not look Asian is fair game to be stared at. So I knit in public all the time. I figure might as well give them a good reason to be looking. Also, I find when people do ask me about my knitting, they are envious of my capability. I have converted many of my friends here to knitting and it has grown into a weekly meet up. As for family and friends back home, there are many knitters in my family and I learned at an early age so everybody is used to seeing me knit.:happydance:

thecatsmother
09-29-2008, 05:40 PM
I've been knitting all my life and I'm now a little old lady(well nearly old) so I guess I fit the profile.I read in this great knitting book the best reason to knit....It's Magic-take 2 sticks,a ball of string wave your hands around(OK a lot of times)and you have a sock!!!!etc.

Stephanie Pearl Mcfee wrote the book my DH bought me all her books for my birthday and I've already had occasion to use that quote...I did get perplexed looks though.

More often folk ask me what I am knitting,and of course as I am always trying to get recruits to the land of knitting,I welcome the conversation starter

LalaBee
10-04-2008, 01:26 AM
I was knitting as usual on the subway yesterday when the following happened:
1) Lady next to me picked up the end of my knitting to check it out.
2)When said lady vacated her seat, two other older ladies changed seats to sit next to me and proceeded to ask me where I had learned to knit (if I had learned in Korea), and to ask me a few other questions.
3) Lady on my other side was watching my knitting intently.

I figure its all just complimentary and I also figure that most people are just curious and it comes out wrong.

AAngels
10-04-2008, 11:08 AM
OMy Gosh,
This is so familiar!! I am in my 50's and before people used to say that too. I am with all of u here. It is relaxing and it keeps your brain busy, I rather create something artistic than play video games etc.
And you never know what can come of it, I now do freelance work at home and get paid for it.

We don't want this to be a lost art. I need someone in my family to carry on this tradition but its hard to recruit children. I learned this when I was 10.

I think people still think its for older people but its for all ages, I created a group where I live and we had a variety of ages. But then cancelled it do to too many children coming and that can not be relaxing sometimes especially for learning. Not that I am against children, I have 3 of my own and 2 extended.

Sorry for going on and on,
People just need to forget about old ladies knitting and get with it!!

From now on I just may recruit people who say that and challange them to try it.

Kathy

KnittinMitchie
10-04-2008, 12:01 PM
I've got a 3 yr old and have plans to put knitting needles and crochet hooks into her hands eventually. I will probably start her with crochet and go from there. I have grow women older than me asking me if its hard to knit or crochet. I go not really and if you want to learn I can teach you.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
10-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Mitchie, what i did with my boys was give them one of those red heart for kids crochet hooks and some scrap yarn. i got a "pokemon" from Jon :)

Caleb will be getting his knitting lessons AFTER he gets his bedroom cleaned.

DrKnitter
10-05-2008, 08:57 PM
First of all, everyone has a hobby or something they love to do in their spare time (even if it's just watching TV or sleeping!), this just happens to be your thing. As it is for most everyone on this site. So for those that don't understand, or don't care to understand - tell them to kiss it (pardon my crudenss, but I've been in your place and it gets old when you feel like you constantly have to explain yourself).

Second, although I've never taken my knitting to work I have a regular meeting with a woman who not only brings her knitting to work but she has the complicated patterns laid out in front of her and she is more than capable of actively participating in the meetings My problem is that I take too many notes. I can't knit and write at the same time.

Knit on, my friend! :knitting:

AutumnHarvest
10-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Newbie here! I'm learning to knit but have been crocheting for years. If someone asked me why I knit/crochet... I would probably be a bit of a smart aleck and say "because I wanted a skill that everyone around me doesn't have". heh heh

I just find it unbelievable that people can be so rude and then they expect you not to be offended by their rudeness or questions.

When they say that they don't have the time (acting like they don't have the time to just sit around knitting/crocheting instead of more important things), I tell them that I do it while I'm watching TV so that I can be productive while I'm going to just sit there anyway! I'm sure that they sit there many hours each week NOT being productive themselves.

And I've had people tell me that they've always wanted to learn how to crochet - but have any of those people ever setup time with me to learn even a few basic stitches?!? No! They obviously can't be that interested.

Lisa1216
10-09-2008, 03:00 PM
I apologize for not reading through the whole thread (so I don't know if someone already posted this) but this topic reminded me of something I read on a running forum. I just substituted the word 'knit' for the word 'run':

"I won’t explain why I knit…for those who ask, no explanation will suffice, for those who knit, no explanation is necessary."

KnittinMitchie
10-09-2008, 10:50 PM
I have found that little kids have "balls". They will walk right up to me and go what ya makin' ? like they could care less if I'm going to bit or try and steal them ( trust me I won't one is enough for me ) The seem to have no problems being inquizitive and they find it "cool" or "neat". I've had few ask me if its hard.

Cynamar
10-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Try "I knit so I don't kill people."