PDA

View Full Version : Rooom Roooom ... Speed Knitting

Mystery_Gyrl
09-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Okay, who can keep up with Miriam's 118 stitches in a minute.

http://community.knitpicks.com/notes/Speed_Knitting

Katrina

Jan in CA
09-21-2008, 02:08 PM
That's cool, but frankly doesn't look relaxing at all. :shrug:

Plantgoddess+
09-21-2008, 02:42 PM
If I knit any faster I don't know if I could afford to keep me in yarn. I think I would also run out of things to knit that I could find space for in my house.

knitasha
09-21-2008, 02:44 PM
I like the reminder to keep finger movements to a minimum and to keep your first finger close to the needle (something EZ also recommended).

But I really feel no need to be competitive about knitting speed.
What's the big rush? :??

Gertie
09-21-2008, 02:50 PM
My knitting time is limited. There are times when ultra speed would be great.

As for relaxing - Her fingers may be relaxed but her brain isn't unless she has so much muscle memory that she can at least be some mentally relaxed.

Tropicflower24
09-22-2008, 09:19 AM
I think speed knitting is more for the product/product knitters. I sell bags, I'd love to be faster. BUT there are also times when I just want to sit back and work till I drop off to sleep, and I pace my knitting with my breathing. After a few minutes I forget I'm pacing it, and I keep knitting about the same speed. It's still relaxing. :)

WandaT
09-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Holy freakin' moly!!!! LOL That's incredible!

Tropicflower24
09-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Hey, I watched all the movies - who wants to start speed training? I'll be doing that soon!!!!

Crycket
09-22-2008, 04:15 PM
That is insane, I would like to do that...but I have to agree...I don't think it looks relaxing...

lynn893
09-22-2008, 05:40 PM
I'd like to know how fast she knits when she's doing something other than garter st.

For example, is she still as fast if doing bobbles, or cables, or Tw2L & Tw2R, or ......

:aww:

Mystery_Gyrl
09-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Hmmmm ... now that is an interesting question. I personally do not knit for speed. I understand the desire of wanting to complete the many projects one may have queued up; however, I am already hurried in other parts of my life when I stop and knit I do not want to rush through that also.
Katrina

Crycket
09-23-2008, 01:23 AM
Even in the vid she does stumble...it sounds like the speed is purely for competition sake. I don't think you could sustain that speed for lengths of time over various patterns. I could be wrong, but things like keeping an eye on a pattern, fair aisle, pattern stitches...all of that would slow you down...

Limey
09-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Wow! Those three-minute bursts of speed took me waaaaaaay back to my shorthand and typing lessons.

That's how my shorthand tutor developed our speed - she'd have us first write at a comfortable speed - about 80 wpm for about the first 10 minutes to get our hands and fingers loosened up - and then she would gradually work up the speed to 140wpm by having us write in three-minute bursts of 100wpm and then 120wpm.

To get an accurate and transcribable note of 120wpm, we needed to reach a speed of 140wpm - well, if the pencils didn't suddenly combust!

After having 'warmed up' your hands and wrists, working for very short sessions at a speed you find slightly difficult to keep up with, (don't be too ambitious here) will develop your overall speed, especially if you can do a couple of sessions per day.

Towards the end of the one-hour class session, the teacher would have us go back to writing at 80 wpm and it seemed really sloooooooow!

I think regular practice is the main thing - shorthand, typing and knitting speeds obviously drop if you don't work at them - but they can very soon be built back up again.

Ellie