PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I knit this?

anniep
09-21-2008, 08:13 PM
http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring08/PATTlaceribbon.html

I'm trying to knit this scarf and I just cannot do it! Honestly I've tried nearly ten times!

I've never really knitted lace before and I'm struggling to make sense of the pattern. I keep ending up with way too many stitches.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'd really like to knit this one and it's driving me CRAZY!

rachael72knitter
09-21-2008, 09:22 PM
After casting on the sts, use a life line, and I would place a marker every time your repeat the part in brackets.

Are you doing the double yarn over correctly?

suzeeq
09-21-2008, 09:37 PM
What's your problem more specifically... which row do you have problems on, too many sts left over, not enough left over..?

A common mistake in lace is to make a YO as wrap the yarn and knit 1. You just wrap the yarn. This pattern has a dbl YO where you wrap the needle twice, and on the next row you purl into the first loop, and knit into the 2nd one.

anniep
09-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Ha! It's the very first row I'm having trouble with. I ended up with 61 sts, I was supposed to have 53.

Perhaps it is my double yarn over that is the problem. I think I'm knitting one after my YOs too. I'll give it another shot.

Thanks!

Jan in CA
09-21-2008, 10:21 PM
At the bottom of this link in the KH videos is an example of how to do YO's. Check that out, too.

Moxiemade
09-22-2008, 01:20 AM
When I first started doing yarn-overs I would wrap the yarn and then knit one thinking that was a single "yarn-over". In reality that was two stitches, not one. Not sure if that's what you're doing, but if so it's a common mistake.

rachael72knitter
09-22-2008, 06:53 AM
Once you figure it out I would def. do a lifeline about every ten rows.
That way, if your frog, you won't have to take out as much.

anniep
09-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Thanks everyone!

I got it now! It's coming along really nicely!

sylvia
09-23-2008, 08:47 AM
i would use larger needles and yarn
just to practise
sometimes when you try something out
before the acutal piece it becomes clear
sylvia