PDA

View Full Version : Back and Front cross stitches.

tokmom
09-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Is there a video on KH? I can't seem to find one if there is. I have no idea how to do these stitches.:shrug:

suzeeq
09-22-2008, 10:35 PM
If you look in the Notes or Stitches section of the pattern, in the beginning, after the needle suggestions and gauge, it should tell how to do them. Or in another part of the book. Which pattern, and maybe if you wrote the row that uses them we might be able to figure it out.

Ellieblue
09-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Sounds like you are talking about twist sts. You can do a left cross by skipping one st ,k in back of next st, then k in front of skipped st , then drop off both sts. to do a right cross,skip one st, k in front of next st then k in back of skipped st and drop both sts off left needle. Basically a 1 over 1 cable cross. Hope this makes sense.

of troy
09-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Ah, knitting terms--so vague!

to me, cross stitches (aka twisted stitches) are cable down with 2 stitches. (AB becomes BA)

some times A crosses in front, sometimes B crosses in front.

you can do these cross stitches with a cable needle, just by knitting them out of order.

Knit stitch B (bring the needle behind stitch A, knit stitch B, then bring needle forward and knit stitch A. then let both stitch A and stitch B (old ones) fall off the left needle.

(on the right needle the stitches are twisted)

you can also from the front, knit into stitch B, then into stitch A, (then let both stitches drop off the needle)

in the first example A is front, in second example stitch A is in back

you can (if so inclined) use a cable needle (held to front or held to the back of work) to make these stitches.. but learning to do them on the needle is easier .

tokmom
09-26-2008, 09:39 AM
Thanks ladies. I'm a visual person, so I was hoping to see them done. I'll make a swatch and practice. Your instructions were much clearer.

rachael72knitter
09-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Sounds like you are talking about twist sts. You can do a left cross by skipping one st ,k in back of next st, then k in front of skipped st , then drop off both sts. to do a right cross,skip one st, k in front of next st then k in back of skipped st and drop both sts off left needle. Basically a 1 over 1 cable cross. Hope this makes sense.

I wish I read this when I was doing the twisted tree sweater. This looks so much easier than using the cable holder and moving the sts back and forth.

Some of my sts were twisted. Does this apply, I mean does this twist them the same way as when I used the cable holder?

suzeeq
09-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Yes, they cross the same direction as if you had put one on a cable needle.