PDA

View Full Version : A Little Vent

astonh
09-23-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm knitting, and determined to FINISH, my first "big" project - the February Lady Sweater for my mom. Unfortunately, SOMEWHERE in the first couple of rows on my first repeat of the lace pattern I gained 2 extra stitches and with 200-something stitches on the needle, I can't figure out where the mistake was. It is early enough, if I could have found it I'd just decrease a couple stitches and go on about my business, but I can't find the booboo so I'm going to have to rip back.

I'm lucky that it is only a 3 or so rows I have to riip back and I know I shouldn't complain cause, heaven knows, I've read/heard enough stories about people having to rip back gobs, but it frustrated me this morning and I just wanted to vent to someone other than my DH...who just doesn't get it.

Thanks y'all. I feel better already. Now to go and rip-it, rip-it.

The.Knitter
09-23-2008, 12:13 PM
It's hard to rip it, but would you rather give her a sweater with an error? I think you are making the right choice. Three rows isn't too bad, you were lucky. I know it's still hard to do, but better now than later!!!

Hugs, Christine!

astonh
09-23-2008, 12:23 PM
yup... it is the right thing to do. Now I'm just hoping I don't drop/lose any stitches. I was hoping to insert a needle into my destination row but I don't know how to do it (find the right holes) in garter stitch. I have enough trouble doing it in purls or SS stitches as shown in Amy's video.

The.Knitter
09-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Once you have it ripped, use lifelines if you are making lace items. It makes it easier to remove the stitches if you have to! Good luck Hon.

astonh
09-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I just saw the video on that. DEFINITELY going to do that so it will be easier to frog, if needed. Thanks!

Jan in CA
09-23-2008, 12:34 PM
That bites, but at least you discovered it early. Remember, lifelines are your friends! ;)

KnittinMitchie
09-23-2008, 01:24 PM
i will second the life lines. I'm knitting a lace stole that has beads. after each bead row I move my life line. I've had to frog back a few times thank goodness for the life line.

Lillian Ho
09-24-2008, 01:38 AM
Besides using a lifeline, another lifesaver of a technique for me when knitting lace is using markers. I mark off the end of each pattern repeat. As I finish each section, I count the number of stitches. If the number is correct I continue without a worry. If I gained or lost a stitch, I go back and fix it right away intead of going down farther to discover that the pattern doesn't match. I find this system to work really well for me and saves my sanity. By the way, when kntting lace, I find that most mistakes are with adding or forgetting a yarn over, which is easy to fix.

Lillian

ArtLady1981
09-24-2008, 03:01 AM
My coupla experiences with any kind of lace knitting with gobs of yarnovers and K2T's, etc...I have found that the MOST COMMON CAUSE of 'extra stitches' is an extra yarnover.

I get in a knitting yarnover groove...and will make an extra yarnover from time to time!

My remedy/prevention: I install stitch markers across the row...maybe marking pattern repeats....and when I get to the end of the row...I do a "head count" before turning the work to the other side. If there are missing stitches between any markers, or extra stitches between any markers...the point of error is plainly revealed! Sometimes you don't even have to tink back on the row.
The missing stitch (prolly cuz I didn't do the yarnover) can be added on the next row...and an extra yarnover can be removed on the next row by simply refusing to acknowledge it. Just let it drop by the wayside, and use a darning needle to nudge the bit of extra yarn into the neighboring stitches.

I know that some lace knitting will gain stitches on a particular row...then lose the extra stitches on subsequent rows...but if you are working that kind of pattern...it should tell you that...and you can still do your "head count". It does slow up the rapid knitting thing...but, let's face it...frogging slows things up, too.

Branching Out scarf is a pattern that will gain stitches on a row...then they are decreased back to normal on later rows.

I wish you well...and I commend you for frogging back to the error! I'd do the same! :thumbsup:

knitpurlgurl
09-24-2008, 05:49 AM
:hug: :frog: