PDA

View Full Version : Need your opinions on mohair

crystalle
09-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Hi! Does anyone know about mohair or mohair blend yarns that aren't scratchy? I prefer thinner yarns rather than bulky. Thanks!:knitting:

Jan in CA
09-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Is there such an animal? All the mohair I've seen feels soft to the hand, but scratches my neck.

knitasha
09-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Mohair comes from the rare and endangered moe.

No, really, it comes from the Angora goat (not to be confused with the Angora rabbit, from whence cometh angora yarn). Kid mohair, from young goats, is fine, soft and silky. Hair from older goats makes a rougher, scratchier yarn. I find it hard to knit with and impossible to frog, but it can be so lightweight, fluffy, yet warm, that it's worth the trouble.

Rowan Silk Kid Mohair is 70% mohair and 30% silk. Wonderful for lace shawls. It's expensive on a per-skein basis, but you don't need many skeins for a shawl. Elann has a Super Kydd Mohair that substitutes 30% nylon for the silk. It's darn nice, and about 1/4 the price of the Rowan.

lynn893
09-27-2008, 12:19 AM
I find it hard to knit with and impossible to frog....

I'm finding the same thing.

:hair: :gah: :frog: :pout: :frog: :gah: :hair:

VictoiseC
09-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah, somehow I acquired some mohair into my stash... a couple skeins of a pretty chocolate and some red stuff somewhere. I'll have to dig it out and see what brand it is. I've had it for a couple years now coz I'm stumped as to what to make out of it. A shawl seems like it might be too scratchy. A few strands to embellish a hat is all I can ever think of it. I'm always on the lookout for a good mohair pattern. Top of socks????