PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding Housework

MoniDew
09-29-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm playing hooky from my housework today. I promised myself that I would clean house, but I don't know how to get myself motivated.

Some people seem to need no motivation whatsoever to clean their houses. They're just naturally clean. But it's always been hard for me.

My toilets need scrubbing, the house needs dusting, everything looks like a tornado passed through, but I still can't seem to get off my butt.

HOW DO YOU GET YOURSELF MOTIVATED TO CLEAN HOUSE?
anybody?.....
:thumbsup: thanks!
________
Vermont medical marijuana dispensaries (http://vermont.dispensaries.org/)

Puddinpop
09-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Put on some good ole rock and take one room at a time, but get all of your supplies together first. It's hard for me too, sometimes. I do a lot better when no one else is at home.

iza
09-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Can't help you there. I'm EXACTLY like you. :teehee:

Besides, I find that even if I spend hours cleaning the apartment, the next day I'm back to square one. :doh: If only I could find a way to KEEP the house clean... :shrug: And I don't even have kids or pets, just a boyfriend! :teehee:

Jan in CA
09-29-2008, 01:03 PM
HOW DO YOU GET YOURSELF MOTIVATED TO CLEAN HOUSE?

Only way that works for me is to invite people over preferably a week or more in advance so I can have some procrastination time and to ponder what really needs to be done. :teehee:

figaro
09-29-2008, 01:03 PM
I have no idea how to get motivated to clean the house, I have yet to figure it out. Sometimes it helps to just get up and do it, I know, it sounds easy but I have problems with it. The house is not in horrible shape, but I do hope that no one just drops by cause I would die of embarrassment!:teehee:

vaknitter
09-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Make a nice cup of tea (or coffee) find a comfy chair or couch to sit on and then KNIT :woot:

Okay - so much to my hubby's dismay I love the smell of spin n span in the morning ! My problem is that I let the clutter build up - mail will sit on the table for weeks, yarn from FO's is on the table and the last couple of books I've read are there too. Not sure why you can eat off my kitchen floor, but you can't see the top of the table ?
Anywho - here's my suggestion - turn the TV and computer off, turn on some really great music that you can sing along to and then get up and put cleaner in the toilets to soak and put a load of laundry in then dust one room. Sit down and knit until the laundry is ready for the dryer then scrub the toilets, then sit back down to knit. Then dust another couple of rooms and pick-up a little and....sit back down to knit. It's a steady reward system for doing good (greatest thing I ever learned from dog obedience classes was that I must reward good behavior) :teehee:

Mike
09-29-2008, 01:17 PM
I need to tear something apart and rebuild or build something.
Repainting is also a way to get me to clean.
Other than that it's not happening.

Once I get something built I might be able to keep it clean. Like right now I have a clean kitchen because it's new.
Now all I need to do is figure out how to get motivation to finish the soffit and paint that kitchen.

Jan in CA
09-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Anywho - here's my suggestion - turn the TV and computer off, turn on some really great music that you can sing along to and then get up and put cleaner in the toilets to soak and put a load of laundry in then dust one room. Sit down and knit until the laundry is ready for the dryer then scrub the toilets, then sit back down to knit. Then dust another couple of rooms and pick-up a little and....sit back down to knit. It's a steady reward system for doing good (greatest thing I ever learned from dog obedience classes was that I must reward good behavior) :teehee:
I've done this, too. I run around and do things first that need some time (laundry, toilets, soap scum spray) then do something else, etc.

MoniDew
09-29-2008, 01:31 PM
I need to tear something apart and rebuild or build something.
Repainting is also a way to get me to clean.
Other than that it's not happening.

Once I get something built I might be able to keep it clean. Like right now I have a clean kitchen because it's new.
Now all I need to do is figure out how to get motivation to finish the soffit and paint that kitchen.
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I'm laughing 'cause it's true!!
It's much more fun to create something new than it is to maintain something old. BORING!
________
California Dispensary (http://california.dispensaries.org/)

auburnchick
09-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Oh, boy can I identify with this!

For me, things just have to bug me before I'll really do them. I mean, I do the things that have to be done (i.e. laundry), but as far as other stuff, like dusting or running the vacuum, forget it. It's just gotta bug me.

Fortunately, I have teenagers who have to do chores. That helps a bunch since we all make the mess.

What I will typically do, though, is declare "X-day" as a cleaning day. The kids know they aren't allowed to go anywhere or do anything until the house is clean from top to bottom (or whatever the chore for that day is...once it was cleaning out the garage). Usually, hubby will jump in and help on those days, and within a couple of hours, everything is done, and we're good for a couple of weeks.

KnittinMitchie
09-29-2008, 01:52 PM
I avoid house work like the black plague. I od the dishes and the laundry. I vacuum when it is needed and mop the floors as they needed it. My garage could use some TLC as could the rest of my house. For some reason all ofthe clutter ends up in our bed room and the garage.

MoniDew
09-29-2008, 02:44 PM
TaDah!!
So far: taken out the trash, done 1 load of dishes - it needs 2, but I've done 1, load of towels now in drier, scrubbed master bath - hall bath is still up for debate - can't decided if I want to do it or ask the boys to since it's their bath,

still undone: dusting, hall bath, vacuum/mop, general pick up

To all of those who advise to sit with a cup of tea and knit - thank you! But I'm really good at doing that without any help at all!!! :woohoo: :woot: :roflhard:
(you guys are always good to put a smile on my face!)

Hey, at least I did SOMETHING today. That's better than usual!
I'll get up again here in a minute. I'm SITTIN' for now! LOL!
________
JAILBROKEN (http://jailbroken.org/)

Simply_Renee
09-29-2008, 03:19 PM
This works for me. Call a friend up and invite them to come over tonight or tomorrow.

Problem solved!

I knitted so much this past weekend that NOTHING got done. I had to hunt for clean socks this morning for my son & almost sent him in a mismatched pair to school. I think I am mother of the year.

But I do have the cutest little embroidered baby sweater now!

Flylady.net has a lot of great ideas. Her crisis clean is 15 min in one room, 15 min in another, then 15 minutes of another room, then 15 min break. You'd be amazed what you & a timer can get done.

Crycket
09-29-2008, 03:20 PM
I have to have the itch one day...just pick up and do it. It is usually a day when I put my hand on a surface and see the dust hand print that gets me going....

Puddinpop
09-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Hey, you're doing great!

Wanda Witch
09-29-2008, 03:50 PM
I've done all of the above - just not often enough. Used to be a clean freak after I stopped working, for a living that is, and after awhile, well it got boring. Right now? Am doing a load of laundry. 'Nuff for today. I liked what Joan Rivers said a long time ago - something to the effect: "You do housework today and six months later it is dirty again." :teehee:

jdee
09-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Afraid I can't modivate you. I've been known to take a nap, because I didn't feel like cleaning, nor did I want to look at a dirty house. lol

But usually, I just have to MAKE myself do it. It's not horrible, because I do try to keep it tidy, but as for vacuuming, dusting, and stuff, I have to just shame myself until I feel too guilty to let it go longer.

Debkcs
09-29-2008, 07:55 PM
I avoid house work like the black plague

HOWEVER, if I invite someone over who has never been here before, the house gets a good going over and I get to cook up a storm.

ecb
09-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Darn!!!!

I was hoping you had ways of actually AVOIDING housework
I find having someone come in once a week and doing 2-3 hours of housework FOR me, is WAY cheaper than a therapist
the kids each have a chore or two to do
my room gets done on occasion

tomorrow I get an extra hour for the bathrooms to get done

my house is a MESS, always

ecb

MoniDew
09-29-2008, 11:05 PM
okay, so no dusting today. I guess I'll try to get that done tomorrow (RIGHT!!:mrgreen: )

I live in constant shame over the condition of my house. But I must dread cleaning it more than I dread seeing the mess, I guess. I am soooooo relieved that I am not the only one who suffers from terminal housecleaning avoidance. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

I'll go check out flylady.net
________
JAGUAR XKSS HISTORY (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Jaguar_XKSS)

Gertie
09-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Oh, I hate housework also. What fires me up is to see those TV shows where someone's home is totally out of control. To the point where they need professional help. Sometimes psychological. All of a sudden I feel the need to take control of myself & my house. This'll last for 1 or 2 days then my normal self takes over again. :teehee:

auburnchick
09-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Don't feel bad. Here's what I did today, after getting off of work (and I get off at 3pm):

Washed dishes and stove
Hung a few clothes on the line to dry
Cooked dinner (two separate dinners, actually)

Pretty bad, eh? :rofl:

figaro
09-30-2008, 08:26 AM
I always thought I was alone in this!:rofl: My husband's mom is a mom whose house always looks like is should be on the cover of a magazine, not some high style one, much more relaxed. I understand how to do that, basically clean as you make a mess but doing it, well that is another matter. I always find that when I look at the house or a room with someone else's eyes, it is a mess and I need to clean. We will not talk about my dining room right now...:shifty:

The.Knitter
09-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Holy cow, you mean you have to CLEAN the rooms? OK so perhaps that is what I am doing wrong!

All joking aside, I put on my favourite music, songs that have a good beat and I start! Usually, when putting something away in one room, I'll find something I didn't do in there and then do it while I am in there, then go to another room and the same thing will happen. There is no organization in my cleaning, but it does eventually all get done. I should wear a podometer on cleaning day to see how much extra walking I do!!!

If I have something in the knitting basket that has a deadline then you might as well forget seeing my place spic and span because it is NOT going to happen. LOL!

Puddinpop
09-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Everyone here makes me feel better. I work with 3 women that are cleaning maniacs. They make me feel so ashamed. One, actually got hurt cleaning her house. She jammed her finger when dusting over the stove. Another one fell off of a ladder cleaning her light fixture. They clean their offices all of the time. They haven't seen my house, thank goodness. I have too many magazines, too much fabric, too much yarn, too much junk.

Mike
09-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Everyone here makes me feel better. I work with 3 women that are cleaning maniacs. They make me feel so ashamed. One, actually got hurt cleaning her house. She jammed her finger when dusting over the stove. Another one fell off of a ladder cleaning her light fixture. They clean their offices all of the time. They haven't seen my house, thank goodness. I have too many magazines, too much fabric, too much yarn, too much junk.

Too much junk, too little house is my problem.
It was also my friend's problem when they lived in a similar sized house. After they inherited his grandmother's house their house was instantly always clean.

It's like my kitchen now that I have enough storage space I can keep it clean.

hartleystudio
09-30-2008, 07:20 PM
This is cracking me up! We have a tiny house with 4 people living in it. It isn't too bad except that we all share a bathroom! It looks like a bomb went off in there!!

I try to get some relative or friend to come and visit about once a month. That way it FORCES me to clean the house good and proper. Other than that, forget it. I never have time, I have a 2 year old home all the time and she gets into everything and wants to "help". If I cleaned when she naps, when would I have time to knit???

MoniDew
09-30-2008, 08:14 PM
I always thought I was alone in this!:rofl: My husband's mom is a mom whose house always looks like is should be on the cover of a magazine, not some high style one, much more relaxed. I understand how to do that, basically clean as you make a mess but doing it, well that is another matter. I always find that when I look at the house or a room with someone else's eyes, it is a mess and I need to clean. We will not talk about my dining room right now...:shifty:

Oh, yeah! My mom's house, too! Straight out of a museum! And she had 5 kids!! 5!!! Of course, we kids did all the cleaning, every Saturday. Made me feel like I never had time to play or just be a kid. Wonder if that's why I'm such a rebelious housecleaner now?! Hmm.....

I have a 2 year old

Want to know the most disgusting part of this? My kids are grown! GROWN! I have a senior in high school and a 26 year old (rebound kid) living at home! And it's still a pigsty! I have no excuse for this mess EXCEPT ME of course! (guilt, guilt, guilt)

By the way, no dusting got done today. Took all day to do my October Newsletter (http://www.mycupoftea.net/monthlynewsletter.htm) for my little business, and set up my little webstore (http://www.mycupoftea.net/apps/webstore/) for the October special (http://www.mycupoftea.net/apps/webstore/products/show/217761). My website host had my webstore down. Now tell me... How'm I supposed to run a business with my webstore down? Huh? It's working now, everything's okay. But I'm still in my pajamas and it's 7pm. Yeah, P.M.

Tomorrow's another day! (Let's hope!)
:knitting:
________
Bmw M2B15 History (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_M2B15)

saracidaltendencies
10-01-2008, 09:55 AM
I sooo need to show this thread to hubby so he can see for himself I am not the only person in the world who avoids and hates housework :teehee:

My house isn't disgusting but I really do the minimal. I get dishes done, counters cleaned, vacuum and mop on occasion...lol...but there are piles of stuff everywhere. Those are what I call my "organized messes." lol

Between 2 kids, 6 cats, and 2 dogs, I would have to clean night and day to stay on top of things! I never have been a neat freak by any means and I can usually find better ways to occupy my time than cleaning the house ;)

But, I have to agree with the others who have said their motivation is inviting someone over...haha...If I know I'm going to have company, I make it a point to do extra and set a time limit for myself.

Simply_Renee
10-01-2008, 12:05 PM
MoniDew,

Your talents just lie in other areas. I used to think I was alone too. I felt really pathetic that I had such a hard time doing what came so naturally to other people. I thought I was just lazy or something was wrong with me. I am always going a million miles an hour and am just not that organized. I could try to blame it on my husband & kids- but I wasn't organized before them either. I can manage to keep things semi under control sometimes- but it takes daily babysteps.

It turns out, I am really a perfectionist that thought if I didn't have time to do it right, then I didn't have time to do anything. I was amazed at what just 15 minutes at a time did. I feel so much better when things are more tidy- but that alone doesn't seem enough motivation to keep it consistent.

That being said, I can't see my bedroom floor right now. So feel better and ((((((((hugs))))))))))

PS- If you have a good friend that you can trade some chores with to help you downsize clutter if that's a problem- do it. One of my dear friends came over when I was pregnant with my son & we were moving my daughter to another room- and stayed all day helping me sort through her room, get rid of a bunch of stuff and paint. (she is a ruthless tosser of junk too- that helped) I ran som e errands for her that she didn't have time to do.

MoniDew
10-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Thank you, Renee! Thank you, all of you! Thanks for aleviating the guilt and making me laugh. I needed to get some perspective that a clean house isn't everything in life. I really appreciate your loving support. Thanks, to all.
________
Silver Surfer Vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/silver-surfer-vaporizer)

MoniDew
10-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Okay, so I feel ridiculous bumping this silly thread, but I had to say - I've just discovered SWIFFERS! HAH! :woot:

It's never made any sense to me to just knock the dirt around. So I never dusted. Never! But I decided to try the Swiffers, because I thought I could actually pick the dirt up and carry it out of my house - which made so much more sense to me. And, lo' and behold, they actually work. I dusted! I actually dusted. For the first time in YEARS. SERIOUSLY!

HURRAY for Swiffers!
________
Mt75 Transmission (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_MT75_transmission)

Simply_Renee
10-03-2008, 06:16 PM
:cheering:

I think I need me some of those!

Plantgoddess+
10-04-2008, 10:43 AM
If you spray just a tiny bit of Pledge of similar product on the pad it will pick up and hold even more dust. A friend who cleans houses gave me that tip.

ecb
10-04-2008, 02:37 PM
When I lived in an apartment durring college, Some friends of mine and I set up a Cleaning Co-op
One saturday a month we would go to one apartment
the owners of that appartment would provide food and drinks
the 'guests' would do the cleaning job that they did best
the next saturday we would do the next apartment
ONLY in order, The girls, then mine, then the couple in the corner unit on 2, then the dancers (man I wish I could remember any of their names)
it worked well, I did lifting and shifting baskets of laundry, and cleaned bathrooms and kitchen sinks
we each helped each other when we were done
then pizza and beer or wine
chips and hor derves, cheese crackers, etc
good eats for only a little bit of work
but once a month, my place looked GOOD

ecb