PDA

View Full Version : FFO: BETTNA cardigan

ArtLady1981
09-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Finally Finished!

I had a hard time with this yarn!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/2824555408_279f7a557a_m.jpg
It tweeds heavily, but the prevailing overall color, after all the colors tweed together, is an olivey mud.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3163/2866917060_465e8075ce.jpg?v=0

So I experimented with the yarn colors...and got a nice appearance by using 5 separated skeins across the BACK rows...and 3 sep skeins for the FRONTS and SLEEVES.

This is the FRONT of "Bettna":
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/2901945287_7a027693e3.jpg?v=0

This is the BACK:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3215/2901946587_2bd9ea6ca4.jpg?v=0

This is the book, with the model BETTNA on the cover.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3073/2866087327_28053ebe20.jpg?v=0

Used 11 skeins of CRYSTAL PALACE "TAOS" in colorway #15
"Chaco Canyon" (1408 yds)

Well, I'm gonna wear it tonight...with a khaki skirt and a leaf green top. This Chaco Canyon should be very versatile for wardrobe change-ups.

Indygirl
09-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Artlady, What a lovely sweater! :yay:

GirlChris
09-30-2008, 04:02 PM
That is just gorgeous, great job.

Jan in CA
09-30-2008, 04:09 PM
:passedout: You are the sweater queen! It's beautiful!

I wish I lived closer so I could take lessons! Do you have a dresser or closet just for handknit sweaters? :teehee:

ArtLady1981
09-30-2008, 04:21 PM
:passedout: You are the sweater queen! It's beautiful!

I wish I lived closer so I could take lessons! Do you have a dresser or closet just for handknit sweaters? :teehee:

I have a 10x9 "room" for my handknits! The width of the closet has 3 floor to ceiling hanging sweater shelves, open in the front: they house my most frequently worn sweaters...and sweater 'dressers' (with clear drawer fronts) line the walls, along with a large table filled with my knitting library of books. A chair with an attached side table sits in the middle of the room. I use it when I'm mulching about in my books and pattern binders, hunting for inspiration!

Does this mean I'm a knitter yet? :eyes:

I had to chuckle at a comment I heard SASHA KAGAN (http://www.sashakagan.co.uk/publications.html#knitwear) make! I met her on an Alaskan Knitter's Cruise back in 2004. She was one of our designers giving 20 hours of lessons featuring her colorwork techniques. She said her living/sitting/knitting/designing room is filled with balls and balls of yarn everywhere. She sits amidst hundreds of yarn balls, knitting and designing! I could so totally viusalize that!

I am far far far from even remotely being a knitter like Sasha Kagan and Elsebeth Lavold! But I totally enjoy knitting away at whatever strikes me!

Mystery_Gyrl
09-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Your car coat turned out really wonderfully, ArtLady. With little change such interesting surprises occur. Thanks for posting the finished pictures.
Katrina

auburnchick
09-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Oh wow! Another lovely sweater!

You have such a gift for matching the perfect yarn with the right pattern (not to mention how well you execute it).

Wonderful job!

Oh, and I'd love to see pictures of the fabulous closet you described. :wink:

Doublereeder2
09-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Wow - that is gorgeous! You are indeed a wonderfully talented knitter :-).

beachwalker
09-30-2008, 07:34 PM
This is beautiful! I would love to do one for myself.:)

cam90066
09-30-2008, 07:46 PM
WOW! Love your colorway and also that of the original (more my colors). Interesting how you opted to work the separate 'panels' in your version. The style/striping of the orig reminds me somewhat of my 'Gawdy cardi' which I wear much more than I ever thought I would. These types of designs are so comfy and versatile. As I'm sure yours will be as well!

cam

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-01-2008, 04:41 AM
Awesome sweater/cardi...

and... I have to say that I have yarn just like that (different brand- since, I bought it overseas) that I'm making my log cabin afghan out of... each section did a gradual color change.. (it's on hold-- because of the hand injury that I have had for a few months-- but, I've started knitting now and will work on it as soon as I get a couple of mittens/hats finished for the Head Start project)

nonny2t
10-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Looks terrific! :inlove:

Slim
10-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Oh, it's wonderful! Working from separate balls of yarn was the way to go on this one. Lovely work! Gorgeous colorway, too.

sue in canada
10-01-2008, 07:43 AM
That looks fantastic. Great job as always.

MerigoldinWA
10-01-2008, 08:00 AM
Hey, that turned out neat and definitely doesn't look exactly like the other one in your wardrobe. You really gave this sweater a new look with your muliple skeining technique. I'll bet the colors look way better in person. I wish good color pictures weren't so hard to come by. Good job, again.

dustinac
10-01-2008, 12:25 PM
:inlove: very pretty!

ritaw
10-01-2008, 01:08 PM
As always , Your work is amazing . I love the colours in that yarn . It is a stunning piece Artlady :)

bambi
10-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Really beautiful! I love what you did with the color. I never would have thought of that. And, it matches your honda. :teehee:

Bambi

Debkcs
10-02-2008, 04:13 AM
I am far far far from even remotely being a knitter like Sasha Kagan and Elsebeth Lavold! But I totally enjoy knitting away at whatever strikes me!

Oh, not so! You are one talented, prolific knitter. If you sold what you made, I'd commission a sweater from you today. Your work is beautiful!

twoxover
10-02-2008, 08:45 AM
artlady--

i'm always so impressed with what you knit! I truly admire your talent....can you do an "artlady camp" for those us uhm, knitting challenged?

(but seriously, thank you for all of your inspriration you provide here--i love looking at your stuff!)

betsey

WandaT
10-02-2008, 12:22 PM
As always, what a gorgeous finished product!!! wow!

pixiepurls
10-02-2008, 01:10 PM
that's neat, how are those "stripes" knit like that without a bulky seam? Is it like intarsia where you switch the color while knitting it?

GinnyG
10-02-2008, 02:45 PM
HA, I can't believe you posted this today.

First let me say it is lovely! As always you have done a great job.

I am on the second sleeve of my BETTNA (back and fronts are done) and I was reading the directions ahead last night and can't for the life of me figure out what the heck they are telling me to do.

MY FIRST THOUGHT WAS PM ARTLADY!!!!!!!!!!!

It the part where you put the bind off edge together and pick up stitches. I've read it over and over and WHAT THE HECK. Maybe when I am actually THERE it will make more sense but at the moment I cannot for the life of me figure out what to do when I get there.

Your posted pic will be helpful, one thing I don't like about the pattern is there is no schematic, so it's hard for us unimaginative folk to picture how the pieces are supposed to be.

ANYHOO, in a few days when I get to the front and back joining, you'll be hearing from me I am sure:waah:

Dimpledapple
10-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Beautiful sweater! As always, looking forward to your next project!

ArtLady1981
10-02-2008, 06:59 PM
that's neat, how are those "stripes" knit like that without a bulky seam? Is it like intarsia where you switch the color while knitting it?

Hi Pixie! :waving:

Yes, it is like intarsia. It isn't seamed. When I reach the 'transition,' I simply drop skein A, wrap B around A, and begin knitting with B...til the next transition for skein C, etc. The "seam" is flat and flawless. Also, the blocking really smooths/flattens out and improves the appearance of the stitches either side of the transition.

mhansen
10-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Very cute!!

ArtLady1981
10-02-2008, 07:24 PM
HA, I can't believe you posted this today.

First let me say it is lovely! As always you have done a great job.

I am on the second sleeve of my BETTNA (back and fronts are done) and I was reading the directions ahead last night and can't for the life of me figure out what the heck they are telling me to do.

MY FIRST THOUGHT WAS PM ARTLADY!!!!!!!!!!!

It the part where you put the bind off edge together and pick up stitches. I've read it over and over and WHAT THE HECK. Maybe when I am actually THERE it will make more sense but at the moment I cannot for the life of me figure out what to do when I get there.

Your posted pic will be helpful, one thing I don't like about the pattern is there is no schematic, so it's hard for us unimaginative folk to picture how the pieces are supposed to be.

ANYHOO, in a few days when I get to the front and back joining, you'll be hearing from me I am sure:waah:

I've knit this darn sweater twice now...and I still can't sit here at the 'puter and tell you how this pattern works. First of all, let me being by saying...there are importants steps left out, such as when to and how to seam the LOWER BACK to the LEFT and RIGHT UPPER BODY PIECES.

The directions are good for the Left and Right Sleeve & Upper Body pieces. Just be sure to follow each step just right for the Left and the Right when it comes to binding off some stitches (38?) and reserving other stitches (70?). Be sure you have the correct side facing you for each one before you bind off the 38. (I think it's 38)

Get yourself to the point where you've finished the Left & Right Sleeves/Upper Bodys...having the (70?) live stitches on reserve, having the other (38?) stitches cast off...and have the bands for the fronts started...cuz if I remember right...when you are knitting the bands...you do that shaping so it V's in the back.

Then when you are done with both bands....then you seam the LEFT & RIGHT UPPER BODYS together for the Back seam. When you get the Back upper bodys seamed together, then you can seam the Lower Back to it. The bands are shaped at one end so that when you seam the bands together in the back...they form the "V".

These pattern directions leave a lot out. They are missing steps. Seriously important finishing steps. I am so tired of great designs that have sloppy directions. It's like no one does a final QC of anything these days. :hair: I can't imagine why they would go to print before going over every pattern with a fine tooth comb.

I'll be happy to help walk you through the final phases of your Bettna. It isn't hard. But each time I make a Bettna, I am doing this: :?? !!!

Raeknitsnwa
10-02-2008, 07:55 PM
That is goregous I love the colors in the yarn you used. You make some of the most beautiful things