PDA

View Full Version : Any Elementary Teachers out there?

cheley
09-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi everyone...We have started first grade (no not me)!!! My niece..(catholic school to boot) anyway, we/she is having trouble with Place Value..I have googled to find some "printable worksheets" so that we can practice at home...well, can't find any...so until Dear Miss Teacher gives me some resources, does anybody have a good site I can use to "download" some "homework"??? Thanks for any help....

vaknitter
09-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Well I had to call my mom to ask her what place value was so I guess I better not go on Are you smarter than a 5th grader anytime soon :roflhard: . Anyway, she is 1st grade teacher (at a Catholic school) but didn't have any website suggestions but I googled "Place Value worksheets" and came up with tons of sites. This looked like the best - more free options.
http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/place-value.html

christine
09-30-2008, 11:23 PM
something mo0re hands on. Kiddo need to work with things in order to understand. As a little first grader place value is a pretty big concept to understand.

In my class we have three boxes covered with construction paper and labeled -- ones, tens, hundreds. Each day we put a craft stick in the ones. When we get ten, we bundle it up and move over to the tens.

Here's a fun link

http://www.arcytech.org/java/b10blocks/b10blocks.html

cheley
10-01-2008, 05:55 AM
something mo0re hands on. Kiddo need to work with things in order to understand. As a little first grader place value is a pretty big concept to understand.

In my class we have three boxes covered with construction paper and labeled -- ones, tens, hundreds. Each day we put a craft stick in the ones. When we get ten, we bundle it up and move over to the tens.

Here's a fun link

http://www.arcytech.org/java/b10blocks/b10blocks.html Wow, I like that idea...Thanks soooo much:hug:

cheley
10-01-2008, 05:57 AM
Well I had to call my mom to ask her what place value was so I guess I better not go on Are you smarter than a 5th grader anytime soon :roflhard: . Anyway, she is 1st grade teacher (at a Catholic school) but didn't have any website suggestions but I googled "Place Value worksheets" and came up with tons of sites. This looked like the best - more free options.
http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/place-value.html Thanks....Don't feel bad, I was googling "tens and ones", till good ole "teach" corrected me...PLACE VALUE:roflhard: :roflhard:

rachael72knitter
10-01-2008, 06:05 AM
I teach first grade and can concur, that many of them just aren't developmentally ready to understand it. I hate that we have to expect them to do it in the first.

Definitely agree with the earlier poster that worksheets probably won't get her to understand the concept. She does need to work with things.

You can also get small Dixie cups and a bunch of beans. Give her a scoop of beans on a plate and have her count them in tens and ones. Tell her anything that is less than ten keep on her plate, and have her practice writing how many beans she has as just the number, and as _________tens and _________ones, also in the boxes just to get her used to how it might be presented on her tests and different worksheets. Also, reverse it. Give her a two digit number and have her show it to you in tens and ones using the beans and cups.

The popsicle sticks are also a good one. I would just get her to use lots of things so that she can see anything can be counted in groups of tens and ones.

Gosh. . .it is just such an abstract concept for the little ones.

A good website to go to and that is free is http://www.rainforestmaths.com/
They have tens and ones stuff for her to practice. Bookmark it, it is a very good math site that I use in my computer station.

cheley
10-01-2008, 06:12 AM
I teach first grade and can concur, that many of them just aren't developmentally ready to understand it. I hate that we have to expect them to do it in the first.

Definitely agree with the earlier poster that worksheets probably won't get her to understand the concept. She does need to work with things.

You can also get small Dixie cups and a bunch of beans. Give her a scoop of beans on a plate and have her count them in tens and ones. Tell her anything that is less than ten keep on her plate, and have her practice writing how many beans she has as just the number, and as _________tens and _________ones, also in the boxes just to get her used to how it might be presented on her tests and different worksheets. Also, reverse it. Give her a two digit number and have her show it to you in tens and ones using the beans and cups.

The popsicle sticks are also a good one. I would just get her to use lots of things so that she can see anything can be counted in groups of tens and ones.

Gosh. . .it is just such an abstract concept for the little ones.

A good website to go to and that is free is http://www.rainforestmaths.com/
They have tens and ones stuff for her to practice. Bookmark it, it is a very good math site that I use in my computer station.:hug: Thank you, yes I agree it is an "abstract concept" for a "little one" especially since she attended a public K...this "First Grade" class is much more advanced in everything, last week it was contractions:passedout:

rachael72knitter
10-01-2008, 06:23 AM
Thanks....Don't feel bad, I was googling "tens and ones", till good ole "teach" corrected me...PLACE VALUE:roflhard: :roflhard:

I still call it Tens and Ones, but it is place value. We call it that in first because we typically don't go into hundreds since they technically are only responsible for number concepts 1-100.

Good luck. I know she will succeed eventually with such a supportive Mom!

cheley
10-01-2008, 07:37 AM
I still call it Tens and Ones, but it is place value. We call it that in first because we typically don't go into hundreds since they technically are only responsible for number concepts 1-100.

Good luck. I know she will succeed eventually with such a supportive Mom! Thanks for the "pat on the back"...I am lucky enough to be her Aunt/Mom:muah: hey I just checked out the site you mentioned, it's been temp closed?

christine
10-01-2008, 11:18 AM
With one of my little that just didn't git place value, a song was the trick. It is by Ron Brown and called Place Value.

Email me private and I will sent it to you.
Christine

rachael72knitter
10-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the "pat on the back"...I am lucky enough to be her Aunt/Mom:muah: hey I just checked out the site you mentioned, it's been temp closed?

Yeah. . . I saw that. It should be up again soon. Hope so. . .I use it all the time in my class.

cheley
10-01-2008, 06:41 PM
With one of my little that just didn't git place value, a song was the trick. It is by Ron Brown and called Place Value.

Email me private and I will sent it to you.
Christine Thanks...pm'd you

christine
10-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Here are the words to the song

Ones, tens, hundreds
Ones, tens, hundreds
Ones, tens, hundreds
The places in the place value line.
Just find the oneís place.
Itís on the far right.
The tens are next,
In the place value line.
Move left one place,
Youíll find the hundreds.
Three places for hundreds every time.
Ones, tens, hundreds
The places in the place value line.
Just find the oneís place.
Itís on the far right.
The tens are next,
In the place value line.
Move left one place,
Youíll find the hundreds.
Three places for hundreds every time.
Ones, tens, hundreds
Ones, tens, hundreds

And a link to a site to purchase it http://www.songsforteaching.com/math/placevalue/onestenshundredsplace.htm