PDA

View Full Version : FO - Baby Surprise Jacket

Jan in CA
10-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Finally finished this for a friends soon to be born baby boy. I'm mostly happy with it. I used Berroco Comfort (worsted) in navy and white. The yarn is very soft, but is pretty splitty.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3069/2909636149_609a4748af.jpg

Mystery_Gyrl
10-03-2008, 03:00 PM
That's so nice, Jan. :yay: Puts me in mind of a sailor's outfit. I love how the baby surprise jacket adapts itself to the individual variations of knitters.
Katrina

DQ
10-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Ooh it's lovely! :yay: I hope to have my mitts on the DVD tomorrow so maybe I'll finally get my first attempt finished :oops:

ArtLady1981
10-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Very sharp, Jan! Just the right blue...and the white really 'pops' the entire design! Great work! I like the pattern design very much, too!

GirlChris
10-03-2008, 04:28 PM
very nice, it's really cute

dustinac
10-03-2008, 04:31 PM
I love the color combo...great job :inlove:

Puddinpop
10-03-2008, 08:38 PM
That is so cute!

newamy
10-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Very nice! I like the collar. I love that pattern.

ritaw
10-04-2008, 02:43 AM
awwwww so cute Jan . Excellent choice of colours:)

beachwalker
10-04-2008, 06:06 AM
Jan, this is so cool in the navy and white! Nice job!:thumbsup:

mwhite
10-04-2008, 09:06 AM
It's great! How long does it take to make these?

Slim
10-04-2008, 09:28 AM
It's adorable! I'm sure they'll love it. How did you like this pattern? I'm planning to make the adult surprise jacket and some people have said I should make the baby version first to become familiar with the pattern. What do you think?

Doublereeder2
10-04-2008, 06:29 PM
I love how you added the collar and stripes. It is adorable!

Jan in CA
10-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks everyone!

It's adorable! I'm sure they'll love it. How did you like this pattern? I'm planning to make the adult surprise jacket and some people have said I should make the baby version first to become familiar with the pattern. What do you think?

I love the pattern! I think it would be helpful to make the baby version first. With the baby version there are no decisions to make really so you get a good idea how it's put together. The adult version requires working the numbers to fit you.

It's great! How long does it take to make these?

They can go really fast since they are garter stitch. I really couldn't guess at the number of hours, but I think you could do one in a few days if you knit a lot. I took about a week for this one and that included ripping back when something I tried didn't work.

GinnyG
10-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Very nice!

RowenaH
10-04-2008, 07:22 PM
That is such a beautiful little jacket. I wish I'd had something like that for my son when he was born. That's the kind of thing you just can't buy in the shops anymore.

I may have to invest in a copy of the pattern from ebay!

Jan in CA
10-04-2008, 08:12 PM
I may have to invest in a copy of the pattern from ebay!

You don't need to get it from ebay. You can get it here and it's only $3 plus shipping. It ends up being $7.75, but that's a small price to pay for a good pattern and you support the company. ;)
http://www.schoolhousepress.com/spunout.htm

If anyone decides to make this I will warn you.. her patterns are not real easy to follow. However, there is LOTS of help available.
http://www.3gcs.com/adcock/free%20patterns/BSS%20Notes.htm
http://www.knitting-and.com/wiki/Baby_Surprise_Jacket
You do need to buy the pattern first though to have it make sense. After you do one you'll be hooked!

momwolf
10-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Wow Jan looks really cute:cheering: I think I like it done in solid colors better then the variegated. Love the colors you chose:cheering:

Dimpledapple
10-05-2008, 01:46 AM
Lovely little sweater -- I really like the pattern and the colors!

Debkcs
10-05-2008, 01:52 AM
He'll be the sharpest dressed baby on the block. All he needs is a watch cap and a pair of bell bottoms.

What a cute little sweater!

WandaT
10-05-2008, 07:56 AM
it turned out wonderful!! Love it!

sue in canada
10-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Love it. Very smart looking.

evona
10-07-2008, 12:17 AM
That is so cute Jan! I love the colors - very nautical :thumbsup:

JamOKnit
10-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Beautiful job on the sweater. I love the deepness of the blue. He will look adorable in it!

MerigoldinWA
10-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Nice job Jan! That sweater pattern never seems to get old. It's amazing the variations you can get out of one pattern.

Hygiene Mama
10-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Very Nice!!!!!!!!:cheering:

Gertie
10-07-2008, 10:08 PM
You are so good. About how many hours a day/week do you get to knit? I don't get much.

Jan in CA
10-08-2008, 09:57 AM
:aww: Thanks everyone!

You are so good. About how many hours a day/week do you get to knit? I don't get much.

Thanks! You know, some days I actually don't knit at all, but when I have a project I'm interested in (or need to do) I knit for several hours on and off. I'm 'retired' so I have lots of time most days. :thumbsup:

valentina
10-12-2008, 04:36 AM
I like the colours you use. This is a great jacket! :inlove:

Jen17
11-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Jan, what a beautiful jacket...I haven't been able to be online (except for work) in a while so I'm trying to catch up. I clicked on this and I just said WOW! I love the color and how you did the stripe. Does this pattern always have the collar or did you add that?
Jen

Jan in CA
11-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Jan, what a beautiful jacket...I haven't been able to be online (except for work) in a while so I'm trying to catch up. I clicked on this and I just said WOW! I love the color and how you did the stripe. Does this pattern always have the collar or did you add that?
Jen

Thank you, Jen! I added the collar myself, but used a Ravelry members instructions as a guide. :thumbsup: My original intent was to make a baseball style jacket, but I was getting frustrated and time was running out so I just went with this. The mom says she likes it so that's all that matters. ;)

shelluie
11-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Oh Wow - I really like this jacket! You did a great job! My niece is expecting her first baby (a boy) in Feb and I would love to make her this - is it too hard of a pattern for a knitter who knows only the basics? Where can I find the pattern? Thanks!

KnittingNat
11-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Oh, it's beautiful:heart: I'm sure it will look lovely on the baby!

GinnyG
11-20-2008, 12:17 PM
That is really adorable!

weezie
11-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Awesome surprise jacket Jan!! :cheering:

I have the yarn to make one for my grandson for Christmas (hoping I can fit it in!) and was debating where to put the stripes or just keeping it solid until the final inch or so for the edging. I did one for my granddaughter about four years ago which I had intended to be a solid color, but ran out of yarn, so had to add a second color for the last inch or so and it turned out so cute!!

Seeing the way you striped yours, that really looks good.... do you remember which rows you used the contrasting color on for the stripes? (approximately) I am using a dark blue, sort of a grayish-slate blue, and a silver-gray for the CC. My grandson looks great in darker colors and my daughter helped pick these colors out... I think it's going to look great whichever way I decide to stripe it.

I've made two BSJ so far and this will be my third... then I'm going to try the adult pattern, but sizing it for my granddaughter who is now too big for the baby size.

Thanks!

Jan in CA
11-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Thank you all so much!!!

Seeing the way you striped yours, that really looks good.... do you remember which rows you used the contrasting color on for the stripes? (approximately)
Here is a link to a larger size photo (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3069/2909636149_e7ce64f721_o.jpg) if it makes it easier to understand. I don't know the exact number row I was on, but the last stripe is 1 ridge in from the edge and there are two ridges between the stripes. I did that so I could add the button holes "between" the stripes. You can't do that exactly of course, but I think I did 1 ridge then added the button holes on the first row of the next ridge. I didn't write anything down so that's a good guess.

I've made two BSJ so far and this will be my third... then I'm going to try the adult pattern, but sizing it for my granddaughter who is now too big for the baby size.

How old is the older child? The first BSJ's I made are very big and would probably fit a 3 or 4 yr old or even small 5 I would think.. I used worsted weight yarn and probably size 8 needles although it's been a while I'm not positive. The yarn weight and needle size really does affect the finished size.

My niece is expecting her first baby (a boy) in Feb and I would love to make her this - is it too hard of a pattern for a knitter who knows only the basics? Where can I find the pattern? Thanks!

You can order the pattern here- http://www.schoolhousepress.com/spunout.htm
The pattern as written is a little hard to follow so you can use this as a guide to make it a lot easier.
http://www.3gcs.com/adcock/free%20patterns/BSS%20Notes.htm
Here's another that helps, too.
http://www.knitting-and.com/wiki/Baby_Surprise_Jacket
You only need the basics to make this jacket. It's all garter stitch and increases/decreases. A little bit of seaming on the shoulder and voila!

weezie
11-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks Jan... One more question... Did you pick up and knit for added length on the sleeves? I don't see the sleeve stripes going up along the top of the back, and the sleeves do look a little longer and narrowed at the bottom than how mine turned out.

In answer to your question, my granddaughter is now 6 and about a size 7-8 for a jacket, so I'm going to try the adult sweater with her measurements. I figured that way if it didn't work out (or I couldn't figure it out!) that it's on such a small version that I won't feel that I wasted as much time as I would have making one for a full-figured full-sized adult. I read on one of the BSJ groups that it works for smaller children sizes up through huge sizes, so I thought I'd give it a try.

The first BSJ I made her was when she was about 2 years old and I used a sort of medium weight boucle-type yarn and size 6 needles I think and it was perfect for her at that time... just pure luck that it fit! I just made one a few months ago just for fun that was with odds and ends bright neon Red Heart yarns, mostly pink as that is what I had on hand. It turned out bigger than I expected. I thought if it turned out I'd give it to a neighbor's 6-month-old girl, but it's too big for her yet, so I'll give it to her in a year or so.... I still have to sew up the shoulder seams and add a collar, so I might get it finished by the time it would fit her...;)

I'll post a picture of that one if I get a chance later.... it's pretty bright and loud... maybe not even appropriate for such a little kid! :shrug: I was just using up odds and ends and thought I'd practice on another BSJ before making one with good yarn again. Maybe I'll let you guys be the judges on whether or not a little kid should wear something so bold... It might just have to serve as a guide to where to place stripes in future ones!

Thanks again,

Jan in CA
11-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Oh yes, I did pick up and add length and the stripes. I wasn't completely happy with how they turned out this time, but live and learn. One thing to be aware of when picking up the stitches is to make sure you are picking up on the side with the purl bumps so the next row sits right. I seamed first then picked up, but you can do the sleeve extension then the seam, too.

Do post the bright one! Brights on babies are adorable so it'll be perfect!

GirlChris
11-20-2008, 11:58 PM
very nice