PDA

View Full Version : airport security and needles

sweatergirl
10-06-2008, 10:48 AM
I am going out of town this weekend, and was looking forward to getting some knitting done on the 3 hr. flight, until my husband pointed out that they won't allow me to take needles on a plane! I hadn't thought of that! Does anyone know the security rules regarding needles? Does it make a difference if they are wood or metal? How much harm could you really do with dull wooden sticks? Anyway, if anyone thinks I'm taking my needles out of something I've spent weeks or months working on, risking unravelling it, just to hijack a plane, they have obviously never knitted.

Could I at least put the needles in my checked suitcase? And, what about other supplies, like tapestry needles and crochet hooks?

tarrentella
10-06-2008, 11:01 AM
You can certainly check in knitting needle, but different airlines and airports have different rules about allowing them on as hand luggage. You will have to check with your carriers.
From what i have heard, most poeple are fine if they are taking internal flights, but it is more complicated when you are travelling internationally.
some will allow you wooden/bamboo but not metal.

vaknitter
10-06-2008, 11:21 AM
There have been tons of threads about this and it would seem that sometimes it just depends on the TSA agents. You can definitely check them .... carry-on should be fine...but there are still people out there who will tell you they were stopped.
I just flew with no problems - had a project on metal circulars in a knitting bag with a set of darning needles and my scissors. I remembered the scissors at the last minute and said WAIT...honestly they were more worried about the bomb in my chapstick than anything else.

auntcrafty
10-06-2008, 11:52 AM
The TSA regulations allow knitting needles & I have had no problem getting mine through security. I had bamboo circulars and straights, plus children's scissors in the bag. I put my bag all by itself in an outside pocket "just in case".

Here is a link to the TSA (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm) website to help you get ready for your travels.

evona
10-06-2008, 12:53 PM
I have had no problem bringing needles through security at the airport. I've even forgotten my regular scissors in my knitting bag once and they were fine with them at the Burbank Airport (probably wouldn't try this at a larger airport) Apparently they were just under the limit.

My suggestion is to take inexpensive, non metal needles and arrive early so that if you wind up having to check them you aren't forced to gate check them. My son's guitar was lost when he had to gate check it at the Bozeman, MT airport. Bring a self addressed padded envelope big enough to hold your knitting and plenty of postage so that you have it as a last resort.

Plantgoddess+
10-06-2008, 01:04 PM
I have flown twice out of Spokane with no problems with dpns and circulars. My husband who flies several times a month says that's the strictest airport he's flown out of.

heatherg23
10-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Buy plastic needles. That's what i had to do. They won't let medal ones maybe not even the wooden ones. Stabbing weapons they say.

ronis
10-06-2008, 04:42 PM
I am going out of town this weekend, and was looking forward to getting some knitting done on the 3 hr. flight, until my husband pointed out that they won't allow me to take needles on a plane! I hadn't thought of that! Does anyone know the security rules regarding needles? Does it make a difference if they are wood or metal? How much harm could you really do with dull wooden sticks? Anyway, if anyone thinks I'm taking my needles out of something I've spent weeks or months working on, risking unravelling it, just to hijack a plane, they have obviously never knitted.

Could I at least put the needles in my checked suitcase? And, what about other supplies, like tapestry needles and crochet hooks?
I too plan to go out of town soon. I plan to take circular wooden needles and a self addressed/stamped envelope to mail them to myself if they are not allowed through security.
ronis

AAngels
10-06-2008, 06:14 PM
I went on vacation this past Sept. and yes you can take needles and yarn and even little scissors.
They allowed me to which is strange considering you can only take 2 ounce liquids.

Thanks
Kathy

There is a web page some where with official rules for flying. I printed it out so everyone can see it, just in case.

auburnchick
10-06-2008, 10:34 PM
I flew three times last year via two different airline companies...two cross-country and one shorter flight. I went everywhere from Pensacola to Atlanta to Orlando, to San Diego. No problems. I took my full set of Knit Picks metal needles. No problems. Only one time did I get asked to open my bag, and when they saw the yarn, they laughed and said I was a knitter.

Just my .02...for whatever it's worth.

Doublereeder2
10-07-2008, 07:56 AM
I fly every couple of months with my knitting and have had not a single problem. I usually take socks with me on wooden dpns. Haven't tried my Options yet....

Ladybugxstitcher
10-07-2008, 09:32 AM
I travel from Philadelphia to Oakland on business several times a year, and ALWAYS carry my knitting. I normally take sock knitting on DPNs, both bamboo and metal, with no problems. I have also take straights and circulars in my carry-on without a problem. According to the TSA website, they are allowed. You might want to print out the page and take it with you, just in case.

of troy
10-07-2008, 10:25 AM
In the US (internal) there shouldn't be a problem.

In most of Europe (and other countries/areas of the world) there may be--

Canada seems to have very similar rules to US (Yarn Harlot has no problem boarding planes in Canada with needles) but the rules are different in Mexico and many SA countries too.