PDA

View Full Version : Blocking lace without wires

Knit4Pie
10-07-2008, 06:20 AM
I'm not going to be doing much lace work, so don't want to invest in wires and such. I'm making the Enchanting Lace Scarf (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/enchanting-3). Will it still come out with just pins to block it? What would be the best way (ie, 2 pins per row per side?).

Thanks for your help!

mwhite
10-07-2008, 08:28 AM
I think it will turn out just fine with pins. I don't own wires and pin all my lace work. The main thing to remember is to pin often and evenly. It helps to draw a perfect triangle the size you are blocking and pin to lines.

Mystery_Gyrl
10-07-2008, 09:11 AM
I agree with Mary, you should be fine with only using pins (just make sure they are the right length and rust proof). I have used quilter's t-pins (plentiful for the price [bought at sewing center] and easy to find).

You may also want to take a look at this lace blocking tutorial from Knit Picks, it shows how to lace block with string too.

http://www.knitpicks.com/images/pdf/laceblocking.pdf

Good luck.
Katrina

Knit4Pie
10-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Thank you both!

of troy
10-07-2008, 10:20 AM
you can get a cheap blocking "board" by using a cardboard cutting board (about $5 at JoAnnes or other sewing stores)
cover it with saran (the self sealing is best) or contact paper)

OR hit the home improvement stores.
Insulation boards (2 feet by 4 feet) are under $3-each are 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.. 2 give you 4 X 4--(or 2 by 8 for an extra long scarf/shawl) and they are thin enough to store easily (behind a set of drawers, or in a closet, or under the bed)

PS--if you look up in business directory, find a Welding supply place.. Stainless steel welding wires.. (each about 3 feet long) are much cheaper and make great blocking wires.. bring a needle gauge and get ones = to about a size 2 or 3 needle.
(8 wires are usually less than $5 bucks.. ) use a dowel to store them
(a light rub down with a dry cloth before you use them is in order..)

KnittinMitchie
10-07-2008, 10:22 AM
I bought a 500 count box of flat head pins by Dritz to block my lace with. My thing is pins are MUCH easier to store and I can pack them in my travel bag so I can block my stuff when I go on vaction (hopefully) next month at my mom's house. She's got a basement I can set up a table in.

Miss Kittie
10-07-2008, 11:09 AM
I used string and pins before I was gifted wires..
I could never get the sides straight, so that's why I used the string..

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-07-2008, 01:24 PM
That scarf is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!! I'm adding it to my list.

I haven't knit lace that needed to be blocked either, so thanks to everyone for the tips.... question: What is the purpose of using a string?