PDA

View Full Version : Where do you spend your time?

ArtLady1981
10-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Where did you spend most of your knitting-related internet time in September? Choose one option that most closely represents your answer.

In making a choice between a "toss-up" between KH and Rav...we're asking for folks to chose the one the they usually need to GO TO first thing!

If you would like to leave a comment about WHY you spent more time in your knitting-related favorite, that would be appreciated!

Such as:
Why did you spend most of your time at your #1 in September?
What did you especially like about your #1 knitting-related place?

ecb
10-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Need a new option
Fairly evenly split between both
I chose rav only because I have more forum choices to read there
but I come here first and last
firefox allows me to have both websites as my homepage (along with weather forecast and facebook)
but I do love my KH, and recomend it to ALL the knitters who do not want to pay me to be their knitting tutors

ecb

figaro
10-09-2008, 08:45 PM
I have 6 tabs open on Firefox right now, Google News, KH, Google Reader, Ravelry, Plurk and right now Molehill Empire (:tap:Rae!). I bounce all over the place checking out my "favs". Can't really say where I spent most of my time though, there are times where Plurk can keep me busy for a little bit, the other night I was chatting here on KH for the evening, Ravelry can be a time suck every now and then....:shrug:

ArtLady1981
10-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Hi!

Thanks for your feedback, ecb! :thumbsup: I think you definitely voted correctly about your time split.

In making a choice between a "toss-up" between KH and Rav...we're asking for folks to chose the one the they usually need to GO TO first thing!

We wanted a definitive percentage with this September Poll...so that is why the options are a, b, or c.

I personally voted for KH because the first thing I do after firing up my laptop is check my email inbox...and click through the links for my KH thread subscriptions! After I've checked out my favorite threads...THEN, if time allows, I mosey on over to the Ravelry Ranch and see if I messages there...tweak my Notebook and projects...then check out my favorite groups for new posts, etc.

auburnchick
10-09-2008, 09:54 PM
I voted KH because I don't want to get behind on the forums I check regularly. I only have about three forums I check regularly on Ravelry, so that's fairly quick. My number of posts on each reflects the time I spend on these sites.

lelvsdgs
10-09-2008, 10:05 PM
I spend more time on this site because of the forums here. I feel like I "know" people here and I always get such great info here.

When I do go to Ravelry, it's usually to look up a pattern. I don't spend anytime in the forums even though I belong to several groups there. It's just not as interesting to me.

It will be interesting to see the final results!:)

suzeeq
10-09-2008, 10:07 PM
How about equally? I spend as much time here as Ravelry, and a bit less on 2 other boards and some yahoo lists I'm on.

Okay, read your post #4, and I think you should have worded your poll to reflect `where do you go first'. So I'll vote for KH, cause it's the first thing I do after opening my browser to the email and comics in the morning, and when I get home from work I sometimes skip the email.

ArtLady1981
10-09-2008, 10:07 PM
I agree with you, lelvsdgs! I like the smaller, intimate community of knitters here at KH!

I've learned and seen some interesting things at Rav...but KH is my homebase.

Ingrid
10-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Because of computer problems and a major knitting project (and that stoopid work/family stuff) I haven't been on the computer as much, but KH is my first stop, and usually my only stop.

I check Rav periodically to see if I have any messages, or to look for a pattern, but that's about it.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-09-2008, 10:32 PM
I only go to ravelry when I can't find what I need on KH. :shrug: I love our little community, and I think there's too much happening at ravelry. All my friends are here! :heart: When I do go, I pretty much just use the features KH doesn't have, like being able to look at different projects from several people at once, or to find out what I can do with X yards of _______ yarn. I rarely go to the forums.

PS... is this out of curiosity, or is Amy doing research, or what.... :shifty:

mks22300
10-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Definitely here! I like to browse patterns over at Ravelry but everything else they have is a bit overwhelming to me, even the patterns can get overwhelming. I love our atmosphere here, it's kind of like Cheers, where everybody knows your name! :teehee:

Doublereeder2
10-10-2008, 12:10 AM
I love this forum and always check it first and last. I know I don't post much, but I am here reading daily. Most days I visit in the morning and evening. Rav gets my attention to see what my friends are doing and looking at others' projects, but I am not big on their forums.

The other knitting forums - well, one I like is so slow I do not have the patience to wait and the other is a bit too complainy.

This is THE best place to be!

gargoylelib
10-10-2008, 01:52 AM
I always come to KH first after reading emails and my yahoo groups.
Ravelry for me is just the best place to find, research and store
patterns! I belong to a few groups there but am not a very active
participant in the forums.:)

Libbie

ArtLady1981
10-10-2008, 02:47 AM
PS... is this out of curiosity, or is Amy doing research, or what.... :shifty:

No, Amy has nothing to do with this Poll. Promise!

After a long summer, and Fall approaching, the Mods have been discussing
our website, the Forum and its activity. We want to get your feedback. The information will assist us in making KH an even better, more useful
'home away from home' for you!

That's all!

The Poll closes at the end of October, so KH members...go for it! Post your comments and we will be listening! :thumbsup: Your feedback is what makes this place better! We value your input!

cphkat
10-10-2008, 03:28 AM
Hi all,

I hardly post at all but I keep up on the threads and all the characters populating this site. I love KH. I am a member of ravelry but just lightly browse there. KH being smaller makes it more intimate. Ravelry is too big and impersonal IMO. Thanks for all the time and effort the Mods invest here.

Kat
(Cphkat)

Debkcs
10-10-2008, 04:13 AM
Ninety five times out of a hundred, I come here. As others stated, I go there to check out a pattern, but prefer the smaller, homier feeling, here.

rachael72knitter
10-10-2008, 06:23 AM
I voted KH because this is where I feel most comfortable. I do spend time on Ravelry, but I only read certain sections and completely avoid others.

Sometimes. . .the Ravelry members scare me. If I have a question I post it here. Plus, it seems like here there are a lot less heated debates, thread-jacking, and off-topic stuff. Probably because it is a smaller group and easier to control or manage, or maybe we are more laid back. I don't know.

I do spend time uploading my projects and checking out the patterns/projects for what I want to do next.

Maybe it is about even, but for different reasons and different things.

I usually check here first and stay on here longer.

LBECK
10-10-2008, 07:32 AM
I ALWAYS come here first and if time permits I might check out a bit of stuff on Ravelry but for the most part I post here,and I post projects completed here. I don't put much on Rav because I hardly am ever on there at all.

LovelyLinda
10-10-2008, 07:46 AM
I think Rav & KH each have their uses. I agree that KH is much more intimate then Rav.

However, I use Rav for the patterns and yarn information. I love the feedback from others regarding what they made & the yarn they used. That is invaluable to me.

However, if I have a question regarding a technique or pattern, I definitely look to KH.

WandaT
10-10-2008, 08:33 AM
KH is my homepage. I do browse Ravelry but KH is where I post and share. Love Ravelry for the patterns and seeing the same projects with different yarns but KH is home.

CognizantAmiga
10-10-2008, 09:26 AM
I will post for the lurkers here:aww: I know noone here probably recognizes my name or would know if I were here or not. I read KH every day. I like the small feel of KH over Rav. Such interesting threads and people. Rav overwhelms me with the forums. The forums there are overwhelming. Anything I want to know I can ask here and KNOW that someone will take time to answer me helpfully.

Thanks for all that you all do (mods, Amy, and Sheldon.)

auburnchick
10-10-2008, 09:30 AM
I recognize your name!

BTW, I like the fact that we have a Chat Room. I don't think that Ravelry has one.

We have a lot of fun...especially on the weekend nights when we don't have to be up early the next day. Knitters pop in with questions and stay for awhile to chat.

PurlyGyrl
10-10-2008, 09:57 AM
I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS come to KH first. Ravelry is just so big I have trouble finding what I need. I do like it as a reference resource (patterns, yarns, projects, etc.) but if I have a question or want to post something, I come here.

I :heart: you guys!:grphug:

Miss Moosey
10-10-2008, 10:19 AM
KnittingHelp is best for asking question and getting nice answers. I agree that the Ravelry forums are overwhelming; Ravelry is like a city where I always feel lost, but KnittingHelp is a friendly small town. I will always ask a question here. It is a much more intimate community here. KnittingHelp is also the best for learning new techniques because of the clear and awesome videos.

Ravelry is best for browsing and storing patterns. It is also very good for finding reviews of and modifications to specific patterns. Another reason ravelry works well for me is because of the many many photographs, which help me figure out how exactly to knit projects and how they should look when they come out. Because of the groups it is also easier to talk to specific groups of knitters on Ravelry than on KnittingHelp (i.e. knitters from Boston, knitters with curly hair, knitters who like star trek).

Can there be room in my heart for two knitting websites? I believe it is possible. :heart:

Debbie
10-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Hilde said "I only go to ravelry when I can't find what I need on KH. :shrug: I love our little community, and I think there's too much happening at ravelry. All my friends are here! :heart: When I do go, I pretty much just use the features KH doesn't have, like being able to look at different projects from several people at once, or to find out what I can do with X yards of _______ yarn. I rarely go to the forums."

Ditto for me ..... Everything I know about knitting I learned from KH ... and .... I have learned some other very interesting things, too ... :eyebrow: :doh: :oops: :ick: :eyes: :roflhard: :inlove:

knitpurlgurl
10-10-2008, 10:31 AM
I pretty much spend my time in all of the places..
1.) KH - I LOVE the community and the very helpful, quick answers I get. I like the 'smaller' feel and the sense that everyone here really truly enjoys discussing and helping other knitters. And the videos/tutorials have saved me more than I care to count!! :)
2.) Ravelry - I am a moderator of a newbie group, "Moving Beyond Rectangles." (http://www.ravelry.com/groups/moving-beyond-rectangles) So I am there checking the group and searching for patterns! I am also involved in various knittin groups with other same hobbies over there (like scrapbooking, reading)
3.)Blogs - I am so addicted to knitting and craft blogs. Just to see what creative things people can come up with tickles me. I LOVE reading the blogs: it's so personal. It's like peeking in the window of someone's life. I also love the free patterns and the ideas I get from them.
4.)Other forums - I pretty much check out any forum that has at least some knitting. I check out alot of general craft forums that include knitting in the crafts and enjoy checking them as well.

I so cannot choose a place I spend most of my time because I spend alot of my time for each and for different reasons. And I can't accurately tell you where I go first because that changes everytime I get on the computer. It really just depends on what I need when I get on the internet.

Simply_Renee
10-10-2008, 11:28 AM
I check here first, because I "know" you guys.

I have participated in forums in Ravelry, but it isn't the same. And if I have any questions, here is definitely where I come.

I use Ravelry more for patterns but when I was looking last night I was having a hard time- found exactly what I was hunting in the free pattern link here.

I love them both!

beldaraan
10-10-2008, 11:49 AM
For the month of September, I spent most of my time at KH. Getting back into knitting has spurred that on and needing help to continue my project has left two permanent KH pages up on my computer screen right now.

Ravelry has me curious, but I haven't gone over there yet to check it out. I am trying to manage my time at the computer better.

I am a mmorg gamer (Warcraft and Warhammer presently) so I have a couple forums that I check often when I am actively playing. However, for the month of September, the games and the surfing took a back seat to knitting.

Mirl56
10-10-2008, 01:26 PM
I definitely come here first. I definitely come here at least once a day. Ralvery - I love it, but honestly I don't go there every day. There are just tooo many forums. I do love using is as a resource - finding yarn, what to do with yarn, looking for projects - way cool for that kind of stuff.

Plantgoddess+
10-10-2008, 03:32 PM
After reading the news at Yahoo, my next stop is definitely here. I check in here most every day. Ravelry I only use when I'm looking for ideas for yarn I have, maybe twice a month. After Knittinghelp I check Yarn Harlot's blog. I have no friends who knit, so KH is my knitting circle. I don't know how much I would knit if it weren't for this site. You all inspire me and torment me with more patterns and yarn that I must have.

JustAFloridaGirl
10-10-2008, 04:15 PM
KH is my homepage. In my browser I always have 3 tabs open, one is ALWAYS on the KH forum. The second tab is on a personal site that I always keep open for ease of access, and the third is the one I browse in. In that third tab, I usually go the rounds of checking my email and whatnot, and then I finally sign in to Ravelry. Meanwhile, as I'm browsing, I'm continuously checking in on KH.

I love KH because it is a more intimate setting. If I have a question, I'll ask it here.

However, I love Ravelry because of the way it lets you organize and search. I also like that a lot of groups are for "knitters who love (insert activity or craft)." For example, I belong to a group for knitters or crocheters who love to cook.

cdjack
10-10-2008, 04:23 PM
I love KH! :heart: :muah:

I use Rav as a resource, but that's about it. The forums are overwhelming and a few are down right scary.

I check in here several times a day, where as I check Ravelry maybe two times a week.

ArtLady1981
10-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks to all who shared their feedback with us! We really appreciate your comments! Keep them coming! The Poll is open til Oct 31!

I am reading every comment, and giving your MY THANKS for taking the time to post!

I won't have internet access Oct 13-18. Will be in the mountains with DH, tending camp while he hunts. I knit and cook, that's it! ;) Oh, and I keep DH warm at night in 20 degree weather! Brrrrr.

Wanda Witch
10-10-2008, 06:12 PM
I probably check out KH several times a day. I only go to Ravelry when I might want information on a pattern or a particular type yarn to see what and how others perceived it while knitting, etc., but that is all. This site is so friendly, little if any controversary, just a great place to be. I appreciate the fact if you have a question someone will be there to give advice and I really love seeing the finished work of those I feel like I already know. :thumbsup:

beldaraan
10-10-2008, 06:14 PM
I won't have internet access Oct 13-18. Will be in the mountains with DH, tending camp while he hunts. I knit and cook, that's it! ;) Oh, and I keep DH warm at night in -7 degree weather! Rrrrrrawr!!!.

Fixed :mrgreen:

lol, have fun. I haven't camped in ages and I've always loved it. I think DH has a love/hate relationship with camping, but he always seems to hate it when I bring it up as something we should do for fun. :??

ArtLady1981
10-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Fixed :mrgreen:

lol, have fun. I haven't camped in ages and I've always loved it. I think DH has a love/hate relationship with camping, but he always seems to hate it when I bring it up as something we should do for fun. :??

:roflhard:

cristina61
10-10-2008, 08:09 PM
I love the atmosphere here on KH and I check in here regularly . . . but I also spend a lot of time on Ravelry, and that's usually the first place I visit when I get up in the morning and look at my computer.

I'm not very active on the forums there, but I enjoy reading them; there's all sorts of great information there, some knitting related and some not. I know there can be controversial stuff there; I tend to avoid that. But I don't feel overwhelmed by the forums because it's easy for me to pick and choose what I want to read.

When I first decided to join Ravelry (and I waited a long time, believe me) I was certain I would only use it to look up patterns and yarn information. I had ZERO interest in joining groups and chatting on the forums, and I didn't care to use Ravelry to organize my stash.

Then I discovered how much fun it was to photograph my yarn and enter it in my Ravelry notebook. I've joined a few groups, but I'm not much of a chatterbox. I have used the ISO/Destashing group to buy, sell, and trade yarn -- that's a lot of fun!

But I agree that Ravelry and KH are two very different places. I think that when Ravelry was still small people hoped/believed the atmosphere there would stay purely warm and friendly -- the way it is here on our KH forum. Too bad, that hasn't been the case. So it's wonderful to have a place like this as a knitting refuge. Most of the time you'll get nothing but friendly responses to your questions on Ravelry . . . but on KH you can be absolutely sure no one is going to bite your head off! cloud9

redheadrachel
10-11-2008, 12:14 AM
It used to be KH all the time, all day long. Now it's Ravelry all the time. I really should do a better job of utilizing both, but I think I am a Rav girl... it's just really cool.

It's kinda like apples to oranges, I can't say I could pick one that I prefer over the other. Just, Ravelry is really useful to me. This feels more like a community, and Rav is more like an all-in-one convenience place :)

knitpurlgurl
10-11-2008, 06:38 AM
It used to be KH all the time, all day long. Now it's Ravelry all the time. I really should do a better job of utilizing both, but I think I am a Rav girl... it's just really cool.

It's kinda like apples to oranges, I can't say I could pick one that I prefer over the other. Just, Ravelry is really useful to me. This feels more like a community, and Rav is more like an all-in-one convenience place :)

I agree.. apples and oranges. I LOVE the KH community for the true community feel it has. It's not impersonal, vast, and overwhelming. It has so many wonderful resources that KH is indispensable to me. But I love Ravelry for the patterns, the notebook feature.. I wouldn't be able to choose one over another because I love them both for completely different reasons. And I am glad that they are very different. :sun:

RuthieinMaryland
10-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Hi! :waving:

Since I found KH first, I tend to be most comfortable here. It's of INVALUABLE help when I need to learn a new stitch or ask a question or just hang out with wonderful people!

I'm on KH a couple of times a day. This place is so FRIENDLY, and all of you are so HELPFUL!

I joined Ravelry but it seems so vast - I'm still exploring the various sections and how they work. It's been very helpful to me in looking up patterns and I've enjoyed some of the threads I've read.

But KH has my heart!

Ruthie:knitting:

Lucy78green
10-11-2008, 10:59 AM
In my Firefox tabs I have both KH and Ravelry, and I open all tabs when I turn the computer on and flick between the two. However, once I've checked all the forums, at the minute I find there are more time wasting opportunites on Ravelry such as making up random things to look for in the pattern search, see what else everyone is making with the yarn you've stashed etc. Also some of the forums I am in there are geographically closer to me than most of you guys so I can get good local info there too! I still check both repeatedly when I'm online...

Ginnyb
10-11-2008, 11:01 AM
I go here to KH first thing. I haven't been on here as much lately, but I love it and miss it when I am not checking in..

Ginny

jodstr2
10-11-2008, 04:19 PM
evenly split btwn here and ravelry. I don't post here much but I read a lot of stuff.

tokmom
10-12-2008, 05:23 PM
People are friendly here and very patient. :yay:
I feel like my posts don't get lost.

marlajap
10-12-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm almost embarrassed to say that I haven't spent as much time here since I joined Ravelry and discovered the forums there. Although the many different forums can seem a bit impersonal at first, I have found such amazing resources that are important to me. I'm especially fond of the Sheepless forum, for instance, Karma Yarn Swap (which is a bit addictive), and the localized forums for my area, among others.

Still, even though I spend a whale of a lot (too much) of time on Rav, I still wind up coming back here every little while just to catch up on the posts. :D

miss_molly
10-13-2008, 12:34 AM
I guess any such poll held on the Knitting Help site will put this site at the top, because Knitting Help is where people go for... help! ... and for the forums. Its an entirely different sort of site from Ravelry and a lot of the people who would vote Ravelry are probably there instead of here.

I voted Ravelry for a few reasons:
1. I don't seek help so much as inspiration, and Ravelry is amazing for the inspiration it provides.
2. I keep records of my projects on Ravelry.
3. I enjoy marvelling at what others have created and discovering new patterns and ideas.
4. I research yarn and patterns on Ravelry.
5. I've bought yarn from people's stashes on Ravelry, which is wonderful for me here in Australia - to be able to obtain yarn that isn't available here, and in the process have a friendly chat with someone far away.

The forums are better on Knitting Help, but forums were never a huge attraction for me even before Ravelry. I do browse them selectively though, and have received some excellent help here.

I tend to often shy away from the Knitting Help site because it is so darn SLOW! I get frustrated waiting for new pages to load and links to work. Actually, today is the first time I've been on Knitting Help for weeks as I've been overseas, and it does seem to be faster, so hopefully there has been a miracle worked in my absence and from now on it won't be as sluggish a site.

Whilst away, I was able to access the Net for limited periods, and Ravelry was the one site I automatically HAD to go to.

rachejm
10-13-2008, 11:22 AM
I barely check ravelry these days, that said i didn't check KH very much last month. I haven't done much knitting lately, got Uni stuff going on and knitting has taken a back seat to assignments - which i should get back to now that i've checked in. Final year, no end to the work.

Denise in Michigan
10-13-2008, 11:40 AM
I agree 100% with Hildy!

MAmaDawn
10-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Over all I know I was here more... there may have been days that I was there more, but it was things like updating my patterns, yarns, etc... I do post there some... but I prefer here

Jan in CA
10-13-2008, 01:28 PM
I voted KH of course after all I am a mod and wouldn't be of much help here if I spent too much time on Rav. :lol:

However, in reading the posts I think maybe the poll could have been more specific. Maybe not so much where you spend your time, but where do you most participate. I spend a lot of time Ravelry, but the majority of it is browsing patterns, yarns, etc. While I have posted in a few forums there 99% of my participation is here. This feels like home to me and Rav is a place I visit.

Tropicflower24
10-13-2008, 11:44 PM
I chose Rav... I'm on there more. But I usaully open KH first because it takes so long to load on my computer. (Which is odd, because 2 hour movies load in 3 minutes..... every other site I have been on since we bought high speed loads faster than KH)
Rav is faster, and they have places for patterns and yarn. KH has patterns, but I can find all these and more on Rav.

I like KH for the community aspect. :) Rav for everything else.

Kinnexa
10-15-2008, 01:34 AM
The first knitting site I ever visited was Crazy Aunt Purl's blog -- it was her book that made me think just possibly I wanted to knit, too -- and I usually go there first after I finish all my non-knitting surfing, more to get a laugh than to discuss knitting! Never been to Ravelry, might check it out some day if I'm really bored; in the past few days I've been lurking here and find myself spending more time reading than actually knitting.

I've learned a lot from all the knitting sites I check out. Sometimes I think there's just too much out there, and I'd rather get away from the computer and snuggle up with a beer, a cat, and that scarf I'll finish maybe next week...!

Karina
10-15-2008, 05:24 AM
The first place I go to is KH. It is like coming home and you do get the sense that you know people here although you have never officially meet.

I use Rav for patterns search and checking out what other people are doing with their yarn. Rav is an amazing place to use as a resource but you don't get the feeling of belonging.

I don't really have any problems with the site being slow.
I look forward to all the new videos that will be posted in the future so I don't have to spend too much time on You Tube.

busyknitmom
10-15-2008, 01:49 PM
I spend a lot of time here at KH, everyone is so helpful. For a few days I spent a lot of time at Rav, setting up my stash, projects, etc. when I first signed up, but now I am not there as much. I like looking for projects at Rav, but no where beats KH for friendly, helpful advice.

onb4050
10-15-2008, 02:48 PM
I cant live without KH. I'm a small town girl and although Ravelry is great and I visit occasionally, its just a little bit too 'city' for me if you know what I mean. I'm very comfy with my KH family!!

laikabear
10-15-2008, 04:06 PM
I'll say KH is number one for me, too! :)

But if you timed me over a month, the time at each site might be the same, or maybe even more at Ravelry. I go to each for different things.

When I need an idea about what to do with some yarn, or when I want to browse patterns, I go to Ravelry and it can be a HUGE time suck. I avoid the forums over there mostly, though. They are big and impersonal and can get pretty mean! I mean, there is a whole group devoted to finding flame wars and looking at them (Rubberneckers!) I hate that kind of stuff. :(

When I need help or have a question, or want to see "what's up" with my peers, I come here. I love Ravelry, it's great, but it will never replace KH for me. I think lots of us feel that way. :hug: :heart:

ArtLady1981
11-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks to all who contributed their 2 cents on this poll!
Your input helps us make this the most awesome community knitting forum! :thumbsup: