PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Use a C-Pap machine?

Puddinpop
10-14-2008, 03:26 PM
I went through the sleep study and they said that I was waking 7 0r 8 times an hour, which isn't too bad, but that I was being allowed to go into the deep sleep that I need to feel rested. They want me to come back and be hooked up again and use a C-Pap to see if this will help. My brother thought it was a racket they had going. He was using one, though. He said they show you the expensive one and then the cheap one is the $1,500 one. My insurance will pay 80% and I have paid all of my deductible. I want it if it will help, but I dread going through all of that again. My brother passed away in August or I could talk to him about it, again.

nicolejc83
10-14-2008, 03:35 PM
I don't use one but most of my older family members do and they have found great relief. My dad thought it was a racket too, until he got his. Worth every penny if you ask him.

Abbily
10-14-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your brother.

I have two good friends who use c-paps and they swear by them. I can always tell when my friend Jana fell asleep before putting hers on, because she is exhausted and cranky the next day.

KnitWit1987
10-14-2008, 04:24 PM
My dh has severe sleep apnea. When he had his sleep study they said he stops breathing 40 times an hour. I was glad that when found out the cause because lack of good sleep was really affecting his daily life. Unfortantly, he doesnt use his CPAP a lot. He says that because the pressure is so high it makes it really hard for him to breath out and it makes his stomach hurt in the morning because its full of air. Hopefully you will have good luck with yours. Most people that have theirs set on a lower pressure tend to have really good luck. :hug:

dmknits
10-14-2008, 05:21 PM
My husband uses one. It used to freak me out seeing him not breathing for long periods of time. It's a good device. :thumbsup:

teachermom
10-14-2008, 05:24 PM
My DH has one and uses it every night. What a world of difference. He actually feels rested and I'm not waking up several times an hour because he stopped breathing. I used to elbow him when he would stop breathing.

It did take some getting used to. The original mask that they gave him fit over this nose and mouth didn't work, it gave him a pressure sore on his nose. He went back and got one that just fits in his nose - similar to an oxygen tube that they would use in the hosptial, but a bit larger. He has had no problems since.

He is lucky because at the sleep center, they will work with you till it is right for you. He did the original sleep study and then had to go back for the CPAP machine adjustment. Our insurance didn't cover 100% either, but it was worth it.

There are a lot of health issues associated with sleep apena and it is worth getting it resolved. It may take some initial adjustment, but in the long run is worth it.

My DH has had a few times where he couldn't use his machine - usually on scout trips with our oldest and he knows it. My mid afternoon the next day he is so tired. We actually bought a black and decker portable generator so that on camping trips, he could still use his machine.

He uses his machine every night. The only time he can't use it is when he has a bad cold and is very congested. He is miserable anyways because of the cold, but he does miss being able to use the machine at those times.

For me, it just sounds like a white noise machine - fan like, but not loud.

Look into it for your own health... if after a week or so you don't think it is working, go back and have it checked. It needs to work for you and sometimes a few adjustments are needed. There are also different mask styles and they can be changed so you should be able to find one that is comfortable. The most expensive machine is not always the right one. If you travel a lot, you might want a smaller one and I think those are more expensive. I also know that where we get ours, they sometimes have refurbished ones for sale.

Good luck...

cdjack
10-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Almost every male on my mom's side of the family uses one. They all say they can't believe the difference that it has made. Their quality of life has really improved.

Tropicflower24
10-14-2008, 09:00 PM
My grandma uses one. She is much better since using it. :D

lizardknits
10-15-2008, 09:10 AM
my mom uses one
she went in for a sleep study, thinking that it might show a minor heart problem
she stopped breathing 40 times during her study!!
she wears it at night
dad snores, but it may be a bit before he goes for a study

Denise in Michigan
10-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks for this thread, folks. My husband was diagnosed several years ago with sleep apnea, but due to a problem with the doctor and diagnostic facility, never was fitted for a device or received any treatment.
I've encouraged him to go to another doctor and facility for a re-evaluation, but with no success. I realize the condition can be life-threatening, and worry about him so much. He always has a reason for not going "right now", and sometimes I wonder if I'll lose him to complications of the disease and whatever it is that keeps him from getting help.

gingerbread
10-16-2008, 08:47 AM
I am with most of you with the our husbands using the machine. My dh went in to have the sleep test. I made sure he got it at one of his doctor visits. I was so tired of elbowing him all night long. He went for the sleep apnea test oh my gosh he came back with well over 100 and he didn't stay the whole night. He can't sleep with all the wires hooked up on him. The doctor the next day told him he needed the cpap and I can say that was the best thing that ever happened to him. His first machine was very loud but I didn't care he was sleeping the night. The first day after he slept with it his color in his face was pink. I never realized how pale he had gotten. So let me say it is not a racket, once you use it you won't go back to not wearing it. My dh has what he call nose pillows he can't stand the thought of a mask.
So good luck and keep us up to date if you go and have another test.

teri

Puddinpop
10-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks everyone for replying to this thread. This helps me make up my mind and also, I know what is available. I tend to be on the claustrophobic side and if they have something besides a mask, that would be great. I am tired in the daytime, but my neck hurts at night also. I have a small bulging disk in it. Well, I think I will call them back and ask more questions. Thank you.

hartleystudio
10-16-2008, 07:53 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your brother. My Dad used one until he passed away 6 weeks ago. He loved it and it almost totally cured his horrible asthma as well as gave him a good night's sleep.

It might seriously cut into the yarn budget but it sounds like a good investment!!

Good luck!

Daylilydayzed
10-17-2008, 01:19 PM
MY DH has used a C-Pap machine for over 10 years now. It has made a big difference in him. Before he got to using it, he would come home from work and sit down and would be asleep with in a minute. He was always tired and cranky with me, the kids and everyone else. Then I read a medical journal while waiting for a dr appointment for myself and saw a article about sleep apnea. I realized my DH fir the profile and had all the symptoms listed. So I told him he needed to have a sleep study done. He is so glad I did. H e has a very severe sleep apnea number that they couldn't register on the chart. He stopped breathing over 300 times a night.
Since he got registered with the Veterans Hospital, his doctor there wanted to check his machine. The doctor decided he needed a new one since his original machine was over 10 years old. The new machine has a water tank on it that moistens the air so that it doesn't dry out his throat , the original machine dried out his throat and made him cough and gag the next morning .
Before he got the C-Pap machine , his snoring had gotten to the point where it would be heard outside of the bedroom even if the bedroom door was shut and the television set was on.

CDBear
10-17-2008, 05:59 PM
My husband uses one religiously. We spent 4 years of doctor visits, tests, etc to find the cause of his migraines. As a last resort, he was offered an acupuncture treatment. We thought, why not? nothing else has worked.... He was on the table after the needles were placed for 30 minutes, and fell asleep during that time (that was nothing unusual - anytime he got still, he went to sleep). The tech woke him up and asked if he had had a sleep study done.....the doc ordered one, and the rest, as they say, is history. That was 7 years ago!

Puddinpop
10-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Those are amazing stories. My husband says I don't snore that bad, but I can get still and fall asleep. Sometimes I take a nap on my lunch break in my car. I have never failed to wake up in time to go back in to work. I yawn constantly it seems. I do have headaches a lot when I wake. Now, I'm getting excited about it.