PDA

View Full Version : Fine! You DOn't Need My Business

Knitting_Guy
10-16-2008, 11:12 PM
I accidentally walked into a bar in El Paso the other day and the bartender told me I couldn't carry a backpack into the place.

Huh? This was my little knitting pack. A one strap, small, day pack. I always carry my WIP in this pack.

We "discussed" it for a couple of minutes with me at one point explaining to her what was in the pack and offering to allow her to inspect it. She declined and told me that I would have to leave the pack outside the door.

No way! I was not going to leave my pack, which contained my WIP as well as my entire set of Options outside the door, in the rain, for someone to steal.

Besides, I wanted to work on my WIP while enjoying a cold beer.

End of story, I told her where she could step off and I returned to my truck to watch a DVD and work on my WIP. To heck with her and her crappy little bar.

I just left a much nicer crappy little bar in MO where they not only didn't object to my pack but expressed a lot of interest in my WIP.

One guy asked me if I was knitting (well obviously I was) and said it was cool and that I was too big to say anything else even if he didn't think it was cool. :rofl:

I ain't spending any time in any place that doesn't allow me to knit. To heck with them, I can spend my money elsewhere.

Jan in CA
10-16-2008, 11:16 PM
I can understand the no backpack rule in some places, but a bar? Did they think you were going to smuggle a drink out in it??:doh:

saracidaltendencies
10-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Wow, that seems a bit much...I mean I can understand like a duffel bag, but a small little bag. And I don't get why she wouldn't just let you just unzip it and hand her the bag to look through. Ah well, at least you know where NOT to go the next time you're in El Paso! :teehee:

And if you don't mind me asking, where at in MO? We have quite a few nice little crappy bars where I'm at....haha

Knitting_Guy
10-16-2008, 11:38 PM
I can understand the no backpack rule in some places, but a bar? Did they think you were going to smuggle a drink out in it??:doh:
Their excuse was that people carry weapons in them. I offered to allow her inspect it for a weapon but she declined.

Knitting_Guy
10-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Wow, that seems a bit much...I mean I can understand like a duffel bag, but a small little bag. And I don't get why she wouldn't just let you just unzip it and hand her the bag to look through. Ah well, at least you know where NOT to go the next time you're in El Paso! :teehee:

And if you don't mind me asking, where at in MO? We have quite a few nice little crappy bars where I'm at....haha

The Horseshoe Saloon in Joplin.

saracidaltendencies
10-16-2008, 11:52 PM
Ah, a little ways away from me, I'm on the other side of MO, just outside STL.

figaro
10-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Wow, they must be doing really good business to be able to turn people away like that! Come on lady, inspect the bag and get over your little power play!

Mike
10-17-2008, 08:36 AM
I could understand that in some bad bars in some states because of weapons. But not in Texas where people are more likely to be carrying CCW on their body and I bet the majority have a knife in their pocket or on their belt.

Personally I tend to avoid places were trouble is likely, and a bar that has a policy like that has it because trouble is likely.

Sunshine's Mom
10-17-2008, 09:55 AM
What about women carrying purses? Do they have a little tree outside where you leave your purse before you enter? How ridiculous. Too bad you didn't have a group of knitters with you to stage a massive walk-out.

nephthys8
10-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Good for you! I'm glad you found a NICE bar to have a beer and knit. If I wasn't so poor right now, I'd be tempted to do that on Sunday so I can watch the game, too. Guess I'll just stay home and do all three instead! :)

Doublereeder2
10-17-2008, 10:36 AM
How ridiculous! So if we (a bunch of musicians) went into El Pao with our instruments - in gig bags, many of which look like backpacks - they wouldn't let us in???

Crycket
10-17-2008, 11:25 AM
What about women carrying purses? Do they have a little tree outside where you leave your purse before you enter? How ridiculous. Too bad you didn't have a group of knitters with you to stage a massive walk-out.

That is always my question.

There are all sorts of little shops downtown TO that want ppl to leave their bags up front, but my purse is essentially a little tiny messenger bag. I can fit small merchandise in that...

And I am certainly not going to leave it up front, and no one ever asks....but it does bring up that question....

As for a bar...weapons don't just come in bags! They are more likely to come concealed in clothing! I don't assume the woman was frisking everyone as they came in! Besides, you were perfectly open about letting her see what was in there!

She is running a bar, not an airport!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-17-2008, 12:01 PM
I found it most hilarious that you "accidenty" walked into the bar...

Jan in CA
10-17-2008, 01:53 PM
What about women carrying purses?

Excellent point! You know when we go to Disneyland they check all the backpacks and purses, but they never have men empty out their pockets. :noway:

iwouldratherbeknitting
10-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Mason, you're just gonna have to get one of those CLEAR BACKPACKS that the kids carry to school. :rofl:

Or carry you knitting in my 'fancy pants' option: A plastic shopping bag or a zip lock bag... Works real well- until I poke too many holes in it.

JustAFloridaGirl
10-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Man, I hate it when I "accidentally" walk into a bar. :teehee:

Anyways, that whole situation sucks. But at least you found a friendlier place to go.

ladyjessica
10-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Their excuse was that people carry weapons in them. I offered to allow her inspect it for a weapon but she declined.

Because knitting needles are such awful, deadly weapons. :teehee: That's awful, but I'm glad you found somewhere else to go.

Now, if that were me, I would have been tempted to get a receipt from the bar that actually wanted my business and taken it to the first bar to let her know how much money she lost. But that's just me. :aww:

MoniDew
10-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Wow! She should really look before she sits on a briar patch! WHAT'S HER PROBLEM!?

I was just thinking, if your bag looked like it held a laptop, she probably wouldn't have said a word! Laptop implies "professional image." I know you have one, for use on the road. Why not pack the knitting in with the laptop, instead of a backpack?
________
Penny stock picks (http://pennystockpicks.net/)

Simply_Renee
10-17-2008, 04:22 PM
You should have poked her with a knitting needle.

What a power tripper.

vaknitter
10-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Some people have lost sight of common sense.

I too was thinking about women and their purses. My cousin carries a purse so big it sets of the airbag sensors in the passenger seat :roflhard: Is a bar going to ask her to leave her purse outside and expect it to be there when its time to pay the bill?

ecb
10-17-2008, 10:49 PM
you are partaking in your addiction :inlove:
and you even brought enough needles for half the patrons to share
:knitting:
sounds dangerous to me
:teehee:

Knitting_Guy
10-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks folks, I thought it was pretty stupid. Ah well, I know to not stop there again.

knitasha
10-19-2008, 04:23 PM
I found it most hilarious that you "accidenty" walked into the bar...

Excellent point! You know when we go to Disneyland they check all the backpacks and purses, but they never have men empty out their pockets. :noway:

Same thing in museums. I have to open my bag for some stranger to inspect with a flashlight, while the man I'm with may have all manner of bad stuff in his coat pocket. I know it's not the guard's fault, but some day I'm going to put a mousetrap in there.

Wanda Witch
10-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Same thing in museums. I have to open my bag for some stranger to inspect with a flashlight, while the man I'm with may have all manner of bad stuff in his coat pocket. I know it's not the guard's fault, but some day I'm going to put a mousetrap in there.

:roflhard: Why not just a mouse? :teehee:

KnittingNana
10-19-2008, 10:23 PM
........One guy asked me if I was knitting ........

Why do people ask this question????? There's gotta be a "here's your sign" answer to this, right?

If she was worried about weapons in your bag, you should've told her that they allow knitting needles on airplanes!!! :mrgreen:

bambi
10-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Knitting needles as weapons. Hmmm... What are they? The TSA?

Bambi

ArtLady1981
10-19-2008, 11:53 PM
This is a prime example of people who can't see the trees for the forest! :doh:

It was very inhospitable for her to disallow you (with your knitting bag) into the bar. Talk about senseless.

1knittychick
10-20-2008, 10:34 AM
you had to go thru that. IMO, ever since 9/11 happened, people are just trying to be more careful. Granted, you offered to have the bag checked so I don't understand her reasoning (maybe she had taste tested too many drinks). When I was on jury duty last month, I took my knitting in to past the time. I put needles and yarn into a clear ziploc bag and sent it thru the machine that checks for weapons. The deputy asked me what was I making and let me go. :knitting:

sgtpam
10-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Why do people ask this question????? There's gotta be a "here's your sign" answer to this, right? :mrgreen:

No, I'm not knitting...I thought they were serving chinese food tonight!................HERE'S YOUR SIGN :eyes:

lelvsdgs
10-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Wow, some business people just don't get it.

The "purse" that I carry is actually a messenger bag, it's huge with lots of pockets because I don't have a car so I need to be able to carry everything with me. I've never had anyone ask me to check my bag and I've often wondered at the double standard.

Yep, I wouldn't be going back to that place again... I'm sure you will always be able to find friendlier bars to "accidentally walk into".
Stay safe on the road...

Knitting_Guy
10-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Maybe I just look like trouble, who knows? Even if I hadn't had my backpack with me, or had left it outside, it wouldn't have really made a difference as far as what she thought she was trying to accomplish as I had a knife in my pocket and another in my boot (enough years on the road and you learn to prepare).

Really now, does this sort of crap really make any sense at all?

I just left a place I accidentally walked into in Carlisle., PA. As soon as I sat down the bartender, Janie, came over and asked me what I was making this time (working on a Palindrome scarf). She asked this before I had even opened my pack and even before she asked me what I was drinking (as if she didn't already know).

Some places are just not as customer friendly as others. While I will continue to accidentally walk into this place in Carlisle, just as I've been doing for years, I won't accidentally walk back into that other place and spend my money.

Mirl56
10-22-2008, 01:12 PM
[COLOR="Blue"]Why do people ask this question????? There's gotta be a "here's your sign" answer to this, right?

well, a lot of non-knitters don't know the difference between knitting & crochet or other yarn crafts.

But really - no bags allowed? Too strange! How about the woman behind you whos purse was the same bag as your WIP bag???

brightspot
10-30-2008, 01:04 AM
I went on a cruise a few years ago. When my knitting bag went thru the x-ray machine they said I had scissors in there that they had to see. They were little kid blunt point scissors. We stopped and started going thru the bag to show the scissors to them...no scissors. We dumped the bag out on the counter...no scissors. He ran his hand all over inside the bag...no scissors. After about 10 minutes he finally gave up and let us go. We got on the ship and I went to start knitting...there were the scissors, lol. I have no idea where they were hiding before. :mrgreen: BTW, son's metal toed shoes kept setting the thing off in each port too, lol.

jess_hawk
10-30-2008, 02:44 PM
OK I have to say that I've been to places where you aren't allowed to carry your bag with you, but honestly none were in the US, all were stores (where they were worried about people stealing stuff), and they had little cubbies just inside the door for people to put their stuff in rather than leaving it outside. The one place had a security guard there to make sure that you only left with your purchases and YOUR bag.
But a bar in texas? seriously? I mean, I can take ALL of my metal needles through US security checkpoints... you would think you could take yours into a bar.

Knitting_Guy
10-30-2008, 03:38 PM
But a bar in texas? seriously? I mean, I can take ALL of my metal needles through US security checkpoints... you would think you could take yours into a bar.

Yeah, you would think... :roflhard:

evona
10-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Maybe I just look like trouble, who knows? Even if I hadn't had my backpack with me, or had left it outside, it wouldn't have really made a difference as far as what she thought she was trying to accomplish as I had a knife in my pocket and another in my boot (enough years on the road and you learn to prepare).

My BF is a knife collector and I just knew he would like this comment so I showed it to him and he asks "What kinda knives is he carrying?" :roflhard:

Knitting_Guy
11-01-2008, 04:24 PM
My BF is a knife collector and I just knew he would like this comment so I showed it to him and he asks "What kinda knives is he carrying?" :roflhard:

Smith & Wesson spring assist SWAT lockblade (razor sharp) and a Ka-Bar boot knife usually but I have others as well.