PDA

View Full Version : Long Cardigan - Sleeve Help?

Winnipeg
10-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi

I need help trying to understand the sleeve instructions for the free pattern for the Bernat soft boucle long cardigan

the pattern is as follows:
Cont in stocking st, inc 1 st each end of 5th row from marker and every following 8th row until there are 55sts.

does this mean I am to increase on both the 5th and 8th rows?

:knitting:

suzeeq
10-18-2008, 12:45 PM
No, inc on the 5th row from the marker, then every 8th row after that. So on 5th, 13th, 21st, etc.

Winnipeg
10-18-2008, 01:10 PM
That's how I tried doing it - but my sleeve ended up being about 6 inches too long? Actually the sleeve ended up being as long as the sweater. So I ripped in back to the completed 22 rows of seed stitch (about 4 1/2 ins itself) and decided to try again - perhaps you can tell me where I may have made the error in interpreting the pattern:

Here is the full sleeve instructions
Cast on 35 sts. Work 22 rows in seed st as given for left front, inc 2 sts even across last row. 37 sts. Work 4 ins of stocking stitch placing a marker at each end of last row. Cont in stocking st, inc 1 st each end of 5th row from marker and every following 8th row until there are 55sts. Cont even until work from marker measures 18 ins ending with rs facing for next row.
TOP SHAPING
cast of 2 sts beg next 2 rows. Dec 1 st each end of needle on next and ever following alt row to 25 sts. then on every row to 11 sts. Cast off.

suzeeq
10-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Then your row gauge is longer than in the pattern. For instance, if the row gauge is 6 rows/inch and you have 5 rows/inch, the same number of rows will have a longer measurement. (at 6/in, 30 rows = 5", but at 5/in, 30 rows = 6") You might change the `every 8th row' to every 6th row and see if that gets you the right length.