PDA

View Full Version : Worsted: What is it or has the meaning been lost to the Ages?

OffJumpsJack
10-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Ever wonder why we keep using old terms when we many not even know what they mean?

Worsted:

To me it sounds like it is the "badest" yarn in the bin? :??

Size or weight (guage) can be found at http://www.yarnstandards.com/weight.html but what does it really mean? :shrug:
I find Google and on-line dictionarys a big help and I'll Google anything at the "drop-of-a-hat."

Phonectially it is either Wus-ted / Wer-sted. It means "a smooth compact yarn from long wool fibers used especially for firm napless fabrics, carpeting, or knitting ; also : a fabric made from worsted yarns." (Thanks to Merriam-Webster on-line for their clarity.)

ETA: Worsted yarn is carded before spinning, this separates the shorter fibers and aligns the longer fibers for a smoother nap and higher sheen.

Yes, MMario, Worsted weight is primarily used in the USA. Thanks for the comment.
(I think I misplaced this post. There is another thread for this discussion and I intend to "move" this over there.)/ETA

Now I know that worsted yarn has little or no "eyelash" if I'm using that term correctly. :doh:

Let's save that for another day or at least another post. :)

--Jack

MMario
10-22-2008, 10:34 AM
"worsted" is a process of preparing/spinning fibers - and is used in that manner in a great many places. "worsted" as a weight of yarn is primarily used only in the US.

KnittinMitchie
10-22-2008, 02:03 PM
i know worsted weight yarn as Aran weight yarn. Mom used to crochet afghans so we call it afghan yarn and she gets the weight I'm talking about. Or if I refer to a thinner yarn I tell her to think about size 10 crochet cotton for lace weight. (poor gal didn't realize there was different weights in yarn)

Mom has now been exposed to the LYS and I have her hooked.