PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?....

Jan in CA
10-23-2008, 01:47 AM
Or is this sweater too small for the model? If you want to show off a nice sweater shouldn't you show it in the correct size? It's pulling across the bust and causing some gaping between the buttons and it's pulling on the shoulder seam at the front. The arms also look too short. They maybe are supposed to be 3/4, but they just look too short. :??

http://www.knitpicks.com/ski%20jacket%20pattern_PD30994228.html?pid=3&kid=1221&medid=BE081013&medid=BE081020&media=BE081020&email=purrcat1@yahoo.com

slightly addicted to yarn
10-23-2008, 03:42 AM
Have to agree, it does look too small. As though if she moved at all, everything would ride upwards - strange!

teachermom
10-23-2008, 05:55 AM
Way to small... her 'girls' are pulling at the sweater - they should have found a 'smaller' model, made a larger sweater, or left the darn thing unbuttoned.

Designers need to know that they need shapping for women in the 'girl' area - you can have a small women with larger 'girls'. We aren't men.

WandaT
10-23-2008, 06:50 AM
Yup, I agree ... too small. Looks weird!

Slim
10-23-2008, 07:32 AM
Definitely too small.

blueeyes28
10-23-2008, 07:37 AM
I think the way she is standing with her elbows pointing back and her girls pushing out adds a lot to that effect.

momwolf
10-23-2008, 07:53 AM
I looked at that the other day and thought the same thing
Waaaaaaaaaaay to tight :eyes: not for me.

miccisue
10-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Yep, "June is busting out all over", LOL! This is like a bizarro sweater or something. It honestly looks to me like one that would have something worn underneath it....and ain't nothing gonna fit under that one!!!!!!!!!!!

The picture definitely does nothing for the sweater.....IMHO it makes it look like something a person wouldn't even want to try to make 'cause it's so odd looking.

Simply_Renee
10-23-2008, 08:26 AM
I thought the same thing.

cacunn
10-23-2008, 08:27 AM
It looks to me as if it were knit for Twiggy and a really woman showed for the photo. It also appears that she has her shoulders pulled back making the matter even more extreme.

The.Knitter
10-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Yup, too small! Perhaps Twiggy knit the thing and then could not model it that day and the woman with the girls showed up instead. This is NOT flattering to the woman or the pattern IMHO.

RuthieinMaryland
10-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Hi, Jan:waving:

This is NOT a sweater I'd want to make, based solely on the picture! The pattern is actually pretty, but holey moley does it lose it's pizzazz on the too-small model!

No matter what the size of the wearer, clothes that are perfectly fitted are very beautiful and enhance the appeal of the wearer.

I wonder if the photographer was telling her "Don't breath 'til I get this shot" ? :roflhard:

Ruthie

jheatherley
10-23-2008, 11:09 AM
You and I, and all the other posters in this thread, may agree that the sweater is too small for the model. But, unfortunately, that seems to be the way far too many young women dress these days. I can't leave my house without seeing young (and some not so young) women who look as if their clothes are painted on. Looks tacky to me, but I guess they like it.

knitpurlgurl
10-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I would think that the design of that sweater would lend itself to being bigger and more comfy. I, personally, think it's too small. I know designers are making super-tight garments now-a-days, but this kind of sweater (Mr. Roger's meets fair isle) is either just a poor fit or a poor design.

Wanda Witch
10-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Ditto to all of the above - waaay tooooo small.

OffJumpsJack
10-23-2008, 12:32 PM
'nough said.

:)

cacunn
10-23-2008, 12:38 PM
It looks to me as if it were knit for Twiggy and a really woman showed for the photo. It also appears that she has her shoulders pulled back making the matter even more extreme.

Note the conspicuous lack of comments from the male knitters..

'nough said.

:)

Excuuuusssee Me? :waving:

OffJumpsJack
10-23-2008, 01:07 PM
:aww: My appologies for missing your post, Chris. I blame it on skimming to quickly through the comments.

I was just going for the humor...

and missed.

MoniDew
10-23-2008, 01:12 PM
agreed! but, the world doesn't need smaller models. it needs larger knitwear! LOL! :)
________
FORD DEL REY (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Del_Rey)

cacunn
10-23-2008, 02:12 PM
:aww: My appologies for missing your post, Chris. I blame it on skimming to quickly through the comments.

I was just going for the humor...

and missed.

So was my response.

Us guys get accused of being only interested in "the girls" and when we try to be serious we get accused of being only interested in “the girls.” Well just for that “viva la girls” :flirt:

luvmykid28
10-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Yep, make the sweater bigger or choose a model with smaller "hoohoos".

Besides all the sweaters I've been seeing this season are not fitted at all. They seem to be longer and loose.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see how many people actually make that pattern? Not me, even if I could knit a sweater...:hair:

Jan in CA
10-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Part of the problem guys is that half the time we don't know you are a guy! Clever nicknames make it super hard to guess sometimes. I've even thought some women were men. :doh:

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed the size. I'm well aware that tight clothing is in, but if you're trying to sell a classic fair isle sweater it doesn't make sense.

Plantgoddess+
10-23-2008, 05:18 PM
It's also listed as a jacket. How could you wear anything under it. The shoulder shaping seems off. Maybe she's holding her arms that way so it hides the fit.

cacunn
10-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Part of the problem guys is that half the time we don't know you are a guy! Clever nicknames make it super hard to guess sometimes. I've even thought some women were men. :doh:

I confuse the issue further when I KIPK (Knit In Public Kilted).

There is a big difference is a well designed and make tightly fitted sweater and one that is too small.

As a GUY if I see a woman in a well designed, well fitted sweater I enjoy the view, If the sweater is too small I wonder what is wrong with her that she has to advertise in that manner.

linknit41
10-23-2008, 06:58 PM
I've thought for quite some time that young women seem to be wearing their little sisters' clothing-and just look at what the tv stars wear--very tight. not a happy trend,but at least the hiphugger-crop top phase seems to be gone!! linknit41

knitpurlgurl
10-24-2008, 09:03 AM
:lol: I've thought for quite some time that young women seem to be wearing their little sisters' clothing-and just look at what the tv stars wear--very tight. not a happy trend,but at least the hiphugger-crop top phase seems to be gone!! linknit41

As a more curvy gal, I could NEVER wear those super-small tees and sweaters.. I mean the 'girls' would suffocate. PLUS - I don't want to look as though I'm dressed up as a sausage in casing for Halloween.

Doublereeder2
10-24-2008, 09:20 AM
It sure does look too small - and the model doesn't look big. So why was it knit so small - or why wouldn't Knitpicks try to find someone who it fit?! I don't get it.

Crycket
10-24-2008, 09:52 AM
agreed! but, the world doesn't need smaller models. it needs larger knitwear! LOL! :)

:cheering:

OffJumpsJack
10-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Jan, do you picture Chris (cacunn) as a "speak-no-evil, tropical tree frog?" :roflhard:

Chris, any plans to put a kilt on your avatar?

Hey, I use "Jack" here because having a John in a room thread full of women could lead to negative impressions for all involved. :roflhard:

Okay, I admit I am not a white haired wizard from middle earth, but I hope it does communicates my interest in LOTR. When I found KH, it was Amy's videos that caught my attention. They are very helpful for me when I wish to learn a new knit stitch or technique. In the one for the knit stitch, she recites a rhyme that finishes the stitch as "off jumps jack." Now I'm learning more about knitting and am now working a two handed fair isle UFO. I am a visual learner, so I thought I'd post my agreement with the opening of this thread.

Back to the topic:
Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed the size. I'm well aware that tight clothing is in, but if you're trying to sell a classic fair isle sweater it doesn't make sense.

The sweater is flattening and not flattering. So the sweater either needed to be made larger or with more shaping. Perhaps it was intended for a pre-teen. It is not as visually pleasing as it should be.

I guess I'm learning more about fitting garments, too. :think: This current discussion reminded me of the October 16, 2008 Luann comic strip www.comics.com/comics/luann/archive/images/luann2008183421016.gif It is a continuation of a dialog that begins on Monday October 13.

And Luann and Gunther make my final point. The sweater should be made to fit properly. Perhaps the sweater was fitted for another person; KP should have sought a model with measurements closer to that of the sweater or had the sample sweater re-made to fit the model. As it is, it might lead their customers to think the pattern can't be shapped. At the least it needed more ease, especially as a Jacket.

--Jack

jess_hawk
10-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Honestly, the woman herself should know better. Yes, tighter-fits are "in" amongst some groups, but you just can't do a tight fit with buttons because of the gaps. Really.

Jan in CA
10-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Jan, do you picture Chris (cacunn) as a "speak-no-evil, tropical tree frog?" :roflhard:

Hahah! :lol: No, when the signature doesn't say I do tend think 'female' because the majority of knitters that I'm aware of are female. Sometimes someones name leads me to think 'male' when it's not so it's always a guess unless they say in their signature. ;)

cacunn
10-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Hahah! :lol: No, when the signature doesn't say I do tend think 'female' because the majority of knitters that I'm aware of are female.

Apparently - the statement that "real men wear kilts nad the best of those knit their own hose" needs to be beefed up.

Jan in CA
10-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Apparently - the statement that "real men wear kilts nad the best of those knit their own hose" needs to be beefed up.

:noway: Uhh... I didn't see that! Sorry about that! Need to get my eyes checked. :doh:

Tropicflower24
10-27-2008, 11:18 AM
ROFL to all of the above conversation. :teehee:

And back to the original topic, the sweater does look too small. :D

1knittychick
10-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Too small!