PDA

View Full Version : help please!

JAP
10-31-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm a new knitter & have a question about yarn overs. When I knit the next row, is it normal to have a larger loop/xtra yarn show up? :??

Karina
10-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Yes. You usually do yarn overs when knitting lace. on the next row you knit the Yarn over which is kind off a big loop and when knitted forms a hole. Is that what is happening?

JAP
10-31-2008, 02:00 PM
yeah, it makes the hole. It just doesn't look like a tidy stitch would. I think I may not be understanding the pattern instructions before & after the yarn over, & maybe that's why it doesn't look very pretty. Thank you for your help though! If I had the ability to send you a picture, you could probably clear it all up for me. I'm thinking it's time to take it in to a knit shop nearby & ask for their expertise!

Karina
10-31-2008, 02:12 PM
If you write down the instructions just before the Yarn over and after maybe we can help clear it up for you. What are you making?

1to1
10-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Did you check this http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases ?

scroll down to the last one

JAP
10-31-2008, 02:34 PM
hopefully, it will end up being a shawl! :wink:

ok, it says
"insert needle through next st and yo and K1, yo, K1 in same st, sl both yo and st off needle (3 sts made)"

I know I'm not understanding something, because it seems like
"insert needle through next st and yo and K1"
should just be K1

& I don't understand how to yo and then K1 in same st

I'm ending up w/3 stitches, but I don't think I'm doing it the way the pattern intended.

Karina
10-31-2008, 02:41 PM
Yes I am a bit lost on the insert needle etc. I would understand k1,yo,k1 in one stitch and when you are done you have made three stitches out of one. Does it say you should end up with 3 stitches when you are done. then I think I would knit one but leave the original stitch on the left needle wrap the yarn around the right needle once then knit another stitch in the same stitch you have just left on the needle, that would make 3 stitches now drop the stitch you used to make them. does that make sense. can you see on your pattern a close up of the pattern to see how the stitches look on there.

JAP
10-31-2008, 03:06 PM
yes, your "knit one but leave the original stitch on the left needle wrap the yarn around the right needle once then knit another stitch in the same stitch you have just left on the needle" does make sense to me. I'll give that a shot & see if it looks any prettier.

my pattern doesn't have any close-up shots. Just the finished garment. & so far, what I've done is only a vague resemblance! ha ha!

Karina
10-31-2008, 03:20 PM
If you are still not happy and no one else comes up with a better solution for you, do try and take it to your LYS. if you are lucky enough to have one near you and they are friendly I would make good use of them.

Also make good use of the videos on this site and on you tube. what I can't find here I usually find on you tube. hope it works out and do take a photo when it is done and post, even if it is done by mobile.

JAP
10-31-2008, 03:23 PM
the videos here are great, & you tube is a good idea. I hadn't even thought of that! Thanks again. :-)