PDA

View Full Version : How much of a hassle is it for you to go vote?

Spikey
11-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Did you all read about the couple that flew all the back from India to New York just to vote? Despite their best efforts, their absentee ballots never arrived, so they took a 22 hour flight, which cost them $5000, just to be able to vote in the US for the first time after becoming citizens last year. I read about it in the New York Times.

They said even though NY is already going to go for their candidate of choice, they still felt it was important enough to participate in the process. Her quotes: "Then you're relying on other people to do your job." "Apathy doesn't work in a democracy."

Makes some of our excuses for not getting out seem pretty lame by comparison.

Everybody get out there and VOTE! :woohoo:Let your voice be heard!

sugarfunpouch
11-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Yay! I agree! VOTE!!!!!! It's extremely important! It will affect our whole nation!! Every vote counts!

auntcrafty
11-02-2008, 10:28 PM
It is a duty & an honor to vote! I'm looking forward to voting this year! Bug asked if they could go vote with me, which would have been fun if our schedules had matched.

lelvsdgs
11-02-2008, 10:34 PM
We take the ability to vote for granted in this country. It is our hard earned right to vote and our duty to honor those who fought so hard for us to have this ability, to vote. I had to use an absentee ballot this year but I still voted.

dustinac
11-02-2008, 10:47 PM
My son's school held a mock election last Tuesday. They had booths set up and they got to go in and vote for who they wanted and different issues that are up in the community.

He came home sooooooo excited and proudly showed his sticker with I voted today.

I was going to go vote early on Saturday but had unexpected company so I'm going to go tomorrow with my daughter and vote. :thumbsup:

knitgal
11-02-2008, 11:44 PM
In our recent election in Canada they had recently changed some of the locations of the polling stations. One of the polling stations was at a church that I could literally see from our front door. We assumed that this church was our polling station, but no. We had to vote several blocks away at a completely different place. It was a little silly if you ask me!

lelvsdgs
11-02-2008, 11:54 PM
My son's school held a mock election last Tuesday. They had booths set up and they got to go in and vote for who they wanted and different issues that are up in the community.

He came home sooooooo excited and proudly showed his sticker with I voted today.

I was going to go vote early on Saturday but had unexpected company so I'm going to go tomorrow with my daughter and vote. :thumbsup:
I always took my daughter with me when I voted and she is now voting in her first presidential election. I think it helped instill in her how important it is to vote. That's awesome...

auburnchick
11-03-2008, 12:12 AM
I became a naturalized citizen in 1997 and remember my very first time voting. I was a nervous wreck, and I babbled about it as I entered the polling station. The retired folks who were volunteering that day got a kick out of helping me out and made a big to-do over my children, who had accompanied me. I was so proud.

My current polling station is just down the road...very convenient. Although I'll be subbing on Tuesday, I'll head on over to vote after I get off. I purposely did not do early voting because I felt like it would be like celebrating Christmas early. I love that I can be an active part of the big day.

saracidaltendencies
11-03-2008, 12:18 AM
My polling station is within walking distance, just one street over (and the same street my daughter's school is on). I walk my daughter to school, with my son, then my son and I go to the polling station so I can vote. And he gets all happy because he doesn't have to do anything and he gets a sticker...lol

debb
11-03-2008, 04:16 AM
I'll be working at a polling place again this year - and giving out the 'I Voted' stickers is the best part of the job. I always make sure all the kids get one along with their parents.

Sunshine's Mom
11-03-2008, 11:12 AM
My polling station is on the way to work and I'll vote first thing before work tomorrow. I too get a little giddy on voting day. It really makes me feel patriotic and it's always a rush at the polling station because no matter who voted for whom everyone seems to be in a good mood, happy and smiling. Now, Wednesday on the other hand....:wink:

knitpurlgurl
11-03-2008, 11:22 AM
My polling station is literally just down the road - no excuse NOT to vote! I made sure sinc eI had just moved here over the summer to register to vote ASAP and got everything taken care of well before the deadline so that I could participate in the election. I believe it's my civic duty to exercise the rights I am provided by this country. And I WILL be voting!!

hartleystudio
11-03-2008, 11:58 AM
My 5 year old wants to go with me to vote so we will go before school tomorrow, He will love the sticker. I'm really proud to take him. As a woman I think it's so important to vote because the sufferance movement wasn't that long ago and those women risked so much so we can have that privilege!!!

Everyone go vote!!!!!:woot:

JustAFloridaGirl
11-03-2008, 12:42 PM
I moved from Florida to Utah over the summer and was unable to register to vote here because we can't get Utah driver's licenses yet. You need 2 documents verifying your address and approved documents are things such as bank statements (for some reason, the credit union we use, although I'm on the account, doesn't list me on the statement, just my husband) or mortgage papers. We don't have a house so no mortgage papers for us. There were a couple of other forms of documentation that we don't have, either. Oddly enough, the local library ALSO requires such address verification to get a library card.

ANYWAY, I didn't mean to get off on a tangent, my point is that my husband and I ended up voting absentee ballots. My husband actually applied for his ballot online and I ended up calling a couple weeks later to order mine (I changed my name over the last year and it's recommended you call and actually speak to someone for that situation.) It's a good thing I did! My ballot came in the mail and there wasn't one for my husband. He called and the request had never gone through! Luckily the phone call got it straightened out and his ballot arrived a few days later.

We then ended up waiting a little too long to fill them out, because we wanted to opinion of my parents (who also live in Florida) on some of the amendments, so we were waiting for them to get their sample ballots. We finally ended up sending the ballots back in last week. We sent them Priority. :teehee:

LadyFirelyght
11-03-2008, 12:44 PM
In my state (WA) we have mail-in voting, so I already sent mine in. Very convenient. I would've done just about anything to get to the polls if I had had to, though.

Spikey
11-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Wow! Way to be persistent, JustAFloridaGirl!

That's pretty unfortunate all that Utah makes you go through just to register.

Jan in CA
11-03-2008, 01:06 PM
We sent in our absentee ballots weeks ago. :thumbsup:

Plantgoddess+
11-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Like Ladyfirelyght I live in Wa state and voted by mail. I voted several weeks ago. I drop our ballots off at the local library as I don't trust the mail entirely. Our local post office is not real good at getting the right mail to the right address and sometimes things I mail may not get there for quite a long time. The libraries here have a padlocked drop off box in the parking lot where you can drop off ballots. The county picks up daily and last pickup is at 8pm election night.
Woohoo it's almost over!

sabrinasmom
11-03-2008, 07:02 PM
We have early voting here so I took advantage of that. Still had to wait 1 1/2 hrs though. Figured it was quicker than the 4th!!

ecb
11-04-2008, 10:00 AM
the only obstacles I have to voting are which kid do I take to the polls with me, and what time to arrive
I actually like to go after school and bring a snack for the people working the polling place

Have a great Election day all you fab Knitters

ecb

cindycactus
11-04-2008, 12:34 PM
My husband and I voted Absentee three weeks ago . Our homestead is in a very small town in North Florida, and we did not know if we would be here to vote in the Early Voting so we went to our "Supervisor of Election's Office". There was only one lady working and no one else in the office. She gave us our ballots, we marked them, placed them in the envelope, signed the outside and gave them back to the lady. All done. No fuss, no muss no bother. It is so very nice living in Small Town America sometimes!!!!!! :thumbsup:

sgtpam
11-04-2008, 12:51 PM
My niece has been in Guatemala for the last few months finalizing the adoptions of my beautiful new grandniece and nephew. She expected to be back in plenty of time to vote, but God had other plans for her and that didn't happen.

She had the last appointment at the American Embassy yesterday and she not only got to pick up the very final paperwork to bring our kids home, but she also got to vote!!! So she was doubly excited.

We are one big excited family (especially her husband who stayed and kept the home fires burning).:grphug:

:pray: PRAISE THE LORD...THEY'RE COMING HOME ON THURSDAY... :woot: :muah: :woot: :muah: :happydance:

Needless to say, Aunt Pam already has the gas tank filled and the car packed. It's only a 5 hour drive. :woohoo:

Abbily
11-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Here in Austin during early voting you can vote at any polling place in the County. I took my daughters (4 and 6) with me, both because I think it's important and because they are both very interested.

knitpurlgurl
11-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Here in Austin during early voting you can vote at any polling place in the County. I took my daughters (4 and 6) with me, both because I think it's important and because they are both very interested.

I took my daughter with me too. She kept asking, "Where's Barack Obama?" :shrug: She's only 3! :flirt:

Abbily
11-04-2008, 04:31 PM
I took my daughter with me too. She kept asking, "Where's Barack Obama?" :shrug: She's only 3! :flirt:

Cute! :) My 6 yo is really quite upset that she can't vote- she really wanted to vote for Obama. :)

Spikey
11-04-2008, 04:45 PM
My niece has been in Guatemala for the last few months finalizing the adoptions of my beautiful new grandniece and nephew. She expected to be back in plenty of time to vote, but God had other plans for her and that didn't happen.

She had the last appointment at the American Embassy yesterday and she not only got to pick up the very final paperwork to bring our kids home, but she also got to vote!!! So she was doubly excited.

We are one big excited family (especially her husband who stayed and kept the home fires burning).:grphug:

:pray: PRAISE THE LORD...THEY'RE COMING HOME ON THURSDAY... :woot: :muah: :woot: :muah: :happydance:

Needless to say, Aunt Pam already has the gas tank filled and the car packed. It's only a 5 hour drive. :woohoo:

That is wonderful, Pam. Congrats to you and your whole family.

But I though Guatemala was closed. Did she get in before all of that?

Crycket
11-04-2008, 04:49 PM
My dad always told me, if you don't vote, you don't have a right to complain.....

Simple, but it always kept me going to the polls....I haven't missed an election to date...Municipal, Provincial or National.....even if I don't know what is going on....I will go and vote...

That way I can complain with full confidence...*smiles*

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-04-2008, 05:16 PM
I voted absentee. very easy!

dustinac
11-04-2008, 06:00 PM
I took my daughter and voted yesterday...I wasn't sure how she would do waiting in a long line today (she is 4 and active) :teehee:

They gave her a sticker while waiting in line and told her it was for coming out to the polls and voting...but then she didn't understand why she couldn't vote when it came time...they gave her a sticker so she must vote! :teehee:

flea
11-05-2008, 01:43 AM
I work 12 hour shifts at the local hospital 7p-7a. So... I got off of work this morning around 0730, got a coffee and sausage biscuit at BK and went to the church where we can vote. All two voting booths were open! :happydance: There were about 35 people in line. It took a little while, but nobody got annoyed or angry.
Every time I vote, I find myself thinking of those who moan, "Oh, I hate standing in line and wasting all of that time." Seems to me that we'd be moaning more if we didn't have the chance to exercise our rights. Irks me to no end.

sgtpam
11-05-2008, 10:47 PM
That is wonderful, Pam. Congrats to you and your whole family.

But I though Guatemala was closed. Did she get in before all of that?
Thanks, we're very excited and God has blessed us "two-fold". Yes, Guatemala has had some major problems and closed it when they had a change in government and rules. We had started the process last year and we did have some rather large road blocks (and a few boulders). Their first trip to see the children was the day after Christmas.

Spikey
11-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Wow! That has been quite a long process. So glad to hear that they will all be home safe and sound soon.

Cynamar
11-08-2008, 11:33 PM
It's no hassle at all. I walk to city hall a couple blocks away. THe first time I voted I walked three miles round-trip. I will never not vote.