PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Want To Knit Socks

sakura-panda
11-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I have a sock on a pair of circs -- using Silver's tutorial -- and I have no desire to go back and finish it. It was the last thing I was working on when I quit knitting over the summer and I even think it was part of the reason I haven't knitted a thing for the last several months. :pout:

A couple of days ago, I decided to knit a baby afghan and I'm happily knitting again. :knitting: However, I have no desire to go back to those socks and I think I'm going to just frog it and use the yarn for something else.

Is is just me? Should I try again (which would become try #3) or should I see if my LYS has a sock class? Am I better off giving up while I know I'm beaten? :shifty:

I feel like I should turn in my needles for not enjoying socks! :roflhard:

of troy
11-06-2008, 11:40 AM
there ares some beautiful baby's hats knit with fine (ie sock weight) yarns.-there are many examples on Ravelry..

if you like baby afghans, think about a hat!

and if you don't like to knit socks--then don't!

REAL knitters are the ones who only knit hats and scarves and mittens--As well as the ones who knits Poems in yarn, or lace shawls, or fair isle masterpeices.

Knit what you like.. (and if you change, and want to knit something else.. Go right ahead!)

lelvsdgs
11-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Not wanting to knit socks doesn't make you a bad knitter!!!:happydance: Knitting should be fun and you should knit what you want and what makes you happy. I say frog it and put it away. Maybe you'll want to do it at a later time.

jessica555
11-06-2008, 12:00 PM
just knit what you like. I always feel a bit better frogging a project that has hurt my feelings, vengeance will be mine says the little knitter! Take that and that! You silly hat this is what you get for not behaving! Then I feel much better :)
ps
I am afraid of socks...what does turning the heal mean?

zkimom
11-06-2008, 12:02 PM
You are not alone. I just can't get into making socks either.

I've tried to love knitting socks. Really.

I've made socks on dpns, with magic loop and with 2 circs.

Just doesn't do it for me.

I like my hats, scarves, purses and sweaters just fine.

But socks are not my thing.

Oh well!

Mystery_Gyrl
11-06-2008, 12:03 PM
You haven't been beaten, some people aren't sock knitters. Knitting socks does not make you a knitter, knitting what you like and want to makes you a knitter. If you really can't stand the sock that is on your needle scrap it and find something you would rather knit with the yarn.
Katrina

suzeeq
11-06-2008, 12:12 PM
You don't have to knit socks, I've been knitting for the better part of 40 years and don't. I may make some slipper socks someday, but I don't like using tiny needles, makes my hands hurt anyway. I use sock weight type yarns to make shawls on larger needles, so there's a use for that type of yarn besides socks.

klymyshyn
11-06-2008, 01:05 PM
You may get into it later...
My first socks were argyle (yes, overachiever)--I only managed to finish one in time for my uncle for Christmas that year (1986). The following year he got the second. ...and in 1995 when he died and my brother and I were settling his estate--I FOUND THEM! Is that sweet or what?!

of troy
11-06-2008, 01:17 PM
re: I am afraid of socks...what does turning the heal mean?

a sock is a closed ended tube..
if you've ever knit a hat in the round, you are half way there to making a sock--a hat is closed ended tube too.

what make a sock different is it has a bend (well shaped socks have a bend--there such things a tube socks.. with no bend)

and the bend is the turn.

You start knitting DOWN, and then bend and knit down--only it is bend sideways.

HOW? well lots of ways to bend knitting... (and lots of ways to shape socks!)

1--the classic
it has a flap (a square of flat knitting,with a chain stitch selvage)
and a turn (a series of short rows that curve the flap

and a gusset --a place where stitches are picked up (along the edge of the flap.
the result? the top of sock (instep) is straight

the bottom(heel/sole) is bent--the flap is knit \/\/\/\/ (down)
stitches are picked up allong the side (1 stitch in each 'selvage chain" and then the direction of the knitting changes.
0VVVVVV0
0VVVVVV0
0VVVVVV0
0VVVVVV0
(flat--0 are chain stitches, V's are knits(and purls)

>0VVVVVV0<
>0VVVVVV0<
>0VVVVVV0<
>0VVVVVV0<
>vvvvvvvvv<
at the end of knitting the flap you pick up stitches (one per chain)
(a refined "text" drawing shows the short rows (the turning!)
>0VVVVVV0<
>0VVVVVV0<
>0VVVVVV0<
>0VVVVVV0<
....VVVVV...
......VV......
>vvvvvvvvv<

This image doesn't really work--(its hard to graph short rows with text art!) but its really not hard to turn a heel!

GinnyG
11-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Maybe we should start "Sock Haters Anon". I don't want to knit sock either!!!

But I feel a great deal of guilt over it, after all..... to be an accom;lished knitter you SHOULD knit socks, right???????

Over a year ago I carefully printed Silver's ENTIRE tutorial, placed each page in a plastic sleeve and put the whole thing in a binder and made a fancy cover sheet.

There it sits, on my book case, wagging it's plastic sheathed finger at me every time I pass by. But knitting socks holds no appeal, they are time consuming and complicated and when you finish one you have to start another and do it all over again. THEN to make matters worse, once you have spent all that valuable knitting time on them you stick them on your feet and into a pair of shoes. No one looks and admires and says OOOOH did you make that!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I say FROG THOSE SOCKS. Use the yarn for a hat or baby sweater. Thank Silver for her wonderful tutorial (I even put a tip in her jar) and MOVE on to what you heart wants to knit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sakura-panda
11-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks, everyone! :)

I do know that it is okay to not enjoy knitting socks but I was hoping to hear that I wasn't the only one! :blush:

It is also nice to hear that not liking socks does not mean I have to resign myself to just flat things like blankets and sweaters -- and also that it is okay to not be skilled in knitting everything from yarn. ;)

Thanks for the hat suggestion! :thumbsup: I forgot that hats were one reason I started knitting in the first place -- my church donates hats to the local hospital for newborns and chemo patients. (And probably anybody else that wants one. :))

I'll have to check Ravelry and see if they have any good beginner patterns. Thanks again for all the encouragement! :inlove:

suzeeq
11-06-2008, 01:26 PM
to be an accom;lished knitter you SHOULD knit socks, right???????

No. There really are no `shoulds' in knitting. There's shoulda, coulda, woulda, but that's a whole 'nother thing...

MAmaDawn
11-06-2008, 01:26 PM
I think you should never be allowed to knit again... how can you not like socks... ok so if you were here I wouldn't have been able to say that with a straight face... everyone else is right, knit what you like, no better yet knit what you love...

and frog away... frogging those socks may feel good, liberating... there are lots of things you could knit using that yarn....

Glad you've started again, welcome back!

kellyh57
11-06-2008, 02:13 PM
I've never had any desire to knit socks! Why? Because then I'd have to buy shoes that showed them off! I'm short so most of my pants cover up my whole foot, so I'd have to get my pants hemmed too. And, what if I like it? Then I'm buying MORE yarn and MORE needles. I'm afraid my life will be consumed by a new obsession!

Micheals did a HORRIBLE thing to me though. They got this really awesome looking sock yarn! And it's fairly cheap too. I'm seriously debating buying some. I have so many darn coupons this week. I have a sweater that would match one of the colorways. (I'm smitten by self-striping/self-patterning yarn!) So, yeah, I may be taken in by a sock-monster soon....

Kelly

McKnitty
11-06-2008, 02:56 PM
You may get into it later...

This is what happened to me. I took a beginner sock class two years ago, and thought it was just not for me. However, last year I developed a burning desire to knit Christmas stockings and tried it again. I don't know what happened but something 'clicked' and I've been knitting socks ever since.

I enjoy knitting the different parts of the sock and there are so many different techniques you can use. Before you can get bored knitting one part of the sock it is time to move on to another part of the sock. So, I find that the fun for me is the process of knitting the sock.

Do you think it could be that you just aren't enjoying the 2 circ method? Perhaps you would enjoy one of the other methods better. I tried magic loop and didn't care for it at all, so I'm still using dpns.

If you think you might want to give it another try, I'd suggest knitting a baby sock which is much smaller and quicker, but it still has the same sock anatomy as an adult sock.

However, if you decide you don't like knitting socks then it is no big deal! Frog that sock and knit something you'll enjoy.

Sunshine's Mom
11-06-2008, 03:10 PM
I agree....Knit what you love.

I, however, could knit socks and only socks forever and be quite happy. In fact, that's what I mostly knit. And everyone loves them too. I find turning a heel and doing the kitchener stitch for toe bind-off to be extremely gratifying and I feel super cool and smart for being able to do it. I'm currently on my fourth pair for Christmas presents (well, these are pedicure socks so no kitchener bind off, but that's okay).

So, in conclusion, if you don't want to knit socks....don't. More sock yarn for me!!!!! :cheering:

klymyshyn
11-06-2008, 03:13 PM
What a fantastic idea!!!! When beginning socks knit a Christmas stocking 'cause if ya don't wanna - you don't hafta build the second one! Love it!

McKnitty
11-06-2008, 03:23 PM
What a fantastic idea!!!! When beginning socks knit a Christmas stocking 'cause if ya don't wanna - you don't hafta build the second one! Love it!

Ha! That was what I thought too - knit one and you're done. :thumbsup:

Rosemary
11-06-2008, 03:38 PM
I have knit socks.

I do not like knitting socks.

I no longer knit socks.

Lisa R.
11-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Haven't read all the replies, so this might be a repeat.

Here's the deal. If you WANT to knit socks and are struggling with it...maybe taking a class would be the way to get you "over the hump" and feeling more comfortable with it.

However, if you don't WANT to knit socks,then frog away, and move on to the things you DO like.

No sense knitting something you don't enjoy. Everybody doesn't have to knit everything. :)

shelluie
11-06-2008, 05:30 PM
I say frog it! I just frogged for the first time this morning. I had knit a hat in some yummy orange, fairly thick yarn. It was going to be for a 9 year old girl. Well, it ended up being too small. I could have just given it to someone else but then I though...what the heck, I'll frog it and start over. It really wasn't as painful as I thought it would be! :)

sorifes
11-06-2008, 06:47 PM
But knitting socks holds no appeal, they are time consuming and complicated and when you finish one you have to start another and do it all over again. THEN to make matters worse, once you have spent all that valuable knitting time on them you stick them on your feet and into a pair of shoes. No one looks and admires and says OOOOH did you make that!!!!!!!!!!!!

:roflhard: that's so funny! With all this said I think I'm afraid to knit socks now. I thought maybe I might try it (after the fricking 6 or so projects I'm going to be doing) but I dunno now maybe I'll stick to the stuff I can read a pattern for lol

Knitting_Guy
11-06-2008, 07:13 PM
While I really enjoy socks (was the first project I finished), I would never tell anyone they HAVE to knit socks to be a knitter. That would be stoopid.

Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. If you don't want to make socks, then don't make socks.

Personally I wouldn't ever want to knit a life-sized car, so I am quite certain I never will.

Only do what you enjoy.

It's a small world but I'd hate to have to paint it.

Plantgoddess+
11-06-2008, 07:21 PM
I agree with the others, knit what you want. I love knitting socks, I have to force myself to knit anything else. I doubt I will ever knit a hat. I don't wear them and haven't even seen a pattern for one I think I would enjoy making. Everyone has their own opinions of what is fun to do.

mimi
11-07-2008, 11:21 AM
You always make me laugh.

Doublereeder2
11-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Your knitting is for your enjoyment! So if socks are not your thing, don't even think twice about them. I love socks but cannot stand knitting baby blankets - so I don't. Do what you like :-)

Sock yarn makes a great newborn Baby Surprise Jacket.......

bambi
11-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Katie, I'm in the no socks camp. I started a pair with some pretty sock yarn and I feel like after months, I'm still only about 4 inches into the 6 inch cuff. I really don't mind the DPNS and could never get the hang of magic loop. I just hate knitting with toothpicks and dental floss.:zombie:

I might try socks or slippers with larger guage needles/yarn.

Bambi

gingerbread
11-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Oh I love making socks, but you don't have to. Just make what makes you happy. Right now I can't make them my carpel tunnel is kicking up again. :tap:

Just do what you like to make and what makes you happy. You don't need to make socks to be a knitter like everyone else has said.
So happy knitting and rip out that sock.:roflhard: I know you can make something else with it and love it again.

:waving:

janettle
11-07-2008, 02:32 PM
I agree that knitting should be enjoyable. Frog with our blessings!!

On the other hand, it may be that you are not liking the method Silver is using (toe-up on Magic Loop). There are SO MANY methods for knitting socks. Among the choices of toe-up, cuff-down, Magic Loop, 2 Circulars, DPNs, one-at-a-time, two-at-a-time, embedded, heel flap or short rows or tube socks... the possibilities seem endless.

Personally, I don't like Magic Loop and prefer knitting 2 socks at a time on 2 circulars (Antje Gillingham's book is what I used to learn).

I've seen beginner tutorials and books on each of the following:
- Magic Loop cuff-down, 1 at a time.
- Magic Loop cuff-down, 2 at a time.
- 1 sock at a time on 2 circulars (author Cat Bordhi)
- 2 socks at a time embedded.

Maybe if you look around at other methods, you'll feel better about trying it another way.

Happy Knitting!

Andres
11-07-2008, 07:59 PM
I don't like knitting socks, either.

I've tried, but I simply don't like it. I started a pair of socks 2-3 months ago, and I haven't finished the first sock yet.

I think I'm going to frog it...

Arielluria
11-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Don't feel badly, we all have our favorite things! Just go with what you love and send ME all your sock yarn! ;)

sakura-panda
11-07-2008, 10:48 PM
I've seen beginner tutorials and books on each of the following:
- Magic Loop cuff-down, 1 at a time.
- Magic Loop cuff-down, 2 at a time.
- 1 sock at a time on 2 circulars (author Cat Bordhi)
- 2 socks at a time embedded.

Maybe if you look around at other methods, you'll feel better about trying it another way.

Happy Knitting!

I was trying toe up, one sock at a time on 2 circular needles. I also printed out Silver's magic loop on one circ (I can't remember if it was one sock or two, but I think it was two) but I decided that the 2 circ method might be easier to start.

I think I'm going to try a hat or two and get practice and then maybe try socks again.

sakura-panda
11-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Now that I'm on my home computer, I can thank everybody for your wonderful and encouraging responses! I am surprised at how many people admit to not liking socks, and that makes me feel much better. :aww:

I was hoping that socks would be nice for small and portable projects, but it looks like that isn't for me. ;)

I do admire people that can take the time to knit not only one, but TWO socks and can do it over and over again. :lol: Maybe someday I'll try again, but my current interests apparently lie elsewhere. :knitting:

Krystal
11-08-2008, 02:12 AM
Oh you aren't alone. I have not felt a single urge to knit a single sock yet, and I have been knitting now for over 3 years. I've made almost everything BUT socks.

For me, my favourite thing to knit is hats and scarves. Whenever someone asks what I am knitting I pretty much always say "a scarf" and I get the same response "You ALWAYS knit scarves!" I hate that. Makes me feel bad for doing what I want to do. Heck the one reason I started knitting was to have awesome scarves. And I have tons! I like hats coz they are super quick for when the never ending scarf is driving me nuts. lol.

My mom keeps bugging me to knit another sweater, but I am in the process of losing weight, so I don't want to put all that time and effort into something that -hopefully- wouldn't even fit by the time it's done, or a year from then.

Knit what you love, that's the whole reason to knit! I've waisted too many months in the past knitting things I didn't love, and I ended up doing what you did, avoiding ALL knitting and then eventually just frogging the item.

DQ
11-08-2008, 06:47 AM
I've lost my sock mojo right in the middle of knitting DH a pair. I think it's because I've messed up the cuff so it won't go over his ankle :doh: I'm sure once I fix it I'll feel better and want to start the other sock but it's just getting the motivation to fix it that's hard :pout:

I do hope my mojo returns one day though because I want to try other methods to see which works best for me. I've only tried one so far.

janettle
11-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Maybe someday I'll try again, but my current interests apparently lie elsewhere.

It is good to see you gaining confidence in your own wants and desires.

Cynamar
11-08-2008, 11:11 PM
You certainly don't have to make those socks. Unravel them and move on with your life! If it's not enjoyable then there's really no point anyway.

ZoeCraft
11-09-2008, 12:29 AM
I have a sock on a pair of circs -- using Silver's tutorial -- and I have no desire to go back and finish it. It was the last thing I was working on when I quit knitting over the summer and I even think it was part of the reason I haven't knitted a thing for the last several months. :pout:

A couple of days ago, I decided to knit a baby afghan and I'm happily knitting again. :knitting: However, I have no desire to go back to those socks and I think I'm going to just frog it and use the yarn for something else.

Is is just me? Should I try again (which would become try #3) or should I see if my LYS has a sock class? Am I better off giving up while I know I'm beaten? :shifty:

I feel like I should turn in my needles for not enjoying socks! :roflhard:
Me too. I really want to knit socks, the yarn is so funky and stretchy, and i want cool socks.
But those little needles are like toothpicks...they were flopping all around and everthing seems so tiny after a chunky double-knit scarf. I got frustrated right away. Thanks for making me feel i am not the only one!

newamy
11-09-2008, 01:38 AM
I've knit a few pair of socks and when I did the first couple of pairs I liked it for the new challenge. And I like the finished product. But I have found that I don't get all that excited about the actual knitting of socks. The sock yarn colors are glorious and tempting. But I have weird feet and my socks get holes in them in just a few months, on the bottom of the foot. So it's kind of tough to get excited about something I know won't hold up long. Then if I do decide to knit a pair I have to be in a "sock mood". Unfortunately the knitting of the socks generally takes longer than the sock mood lasts. I have sock yarn for two more pairs I hope to get too sometime, the yarn is really pretty, but I'm waiting for the right time.

If you really don't want to finish the socks don't. You will feel free I'm sure.

Craw
11-09-2008, 11:46 AM
I've really enjoyed reading the responses from everyone! :roflhard: I have no desire to ever knit or crochet socks. I like the socks I buy just fine. I too get a kind of satisfaction from frogging a project that's not behaving and knowing I won't be bothering to try again. It's called relief. :teehee:

cookworm
11-10-2008, 12:00 AM
I'm so glad to see these posts! I tried a sock using Silver's tutorial, and it went really great...the problem is, I didn't want to do the same thing all over again. It seemed like SO MUCH WORK for one sock, you know? But, I just finished a pair of footies. Same basic technique, but only comes up to the ankle. They were in worsted weight yarn with bigger needles, which went faster for me; I still got to practice the sock techniques. Honestly? These came out SO WONDERFUL and comfortable and warm that I want to make some more pairs for myself...I won't take these off of my feet. So although you may not like knitting socks, you might want to try footies or slippers, or, you may not want to knit anything like this at all. I have yet to do a sweater, and although I want to, I'm afraid to--no, make that TERRIFIED!!! I feel that not knitting a sweater prevents me from being a "real" knitter. I will attempt one, some day, I hope! Anyway, everybody else is right--knit what makes you happy, and what you like! Knitting is about relaxing and having fun.

Arielluria
11-10-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm so glad to see these posts! I tried a sock using Silver's tutorial, and it went really great...the problem is, I didn't want to do the same thing all over again..........

That shows how different we knitters are and how we must continue knitting what makes us happy, not what others are doing! Some people have that first sock syndrome, I, on the other hand, can't WAIT to finish that 2nd sock once I cast on for it. The drive is almost uncontrollable and I knit the 2nd one much faster and more enjoyably.

So just knit WHAT you love and in WHATEVER yarn you love!:waving:

Arielluria
09-13-2009, 07:16 PM
I just created a free pattern for using up leftover sock yarn and remembered this old KH post. It's on Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hot-java-cozy) here or on my blog - it uses 2 yarns at once, so you can use up those remnants faster ;) (http://bibleapologetic.blogspot.com/2009/09/hot-java-cozy.html) AND it's eco-friendly because you don't have to use the paper cup holders at the coffee shops. 2 sizes and variations are contained in the pattern.

http://images4cf.ravelry.com/uploads/Arielluria/13813407/img_8652_combined_medium.jpg
http://images4cf.ravelry.com/uploads/Arielluria/13235221/img_8323_medium.jpg

melmac51
09-14-2009, 10:37 AM
:roflhard: that's so funny! With all this said I think I'm afraid to knit socks now. I thought maybe I might try it (after the fricking 6 or so projects I'm going to be doing) but I dunno now maybe I'll stick to the stuff I can read a pattern for lol

:roflhard: :roflhard:
I feel exactly the same way!

Arielluria
09-14-2009, 01:25 PM
While I really enjoy socks (was the first project I finished), I would never tell anyone they HAVE to knit socks to be a knitter. That would be stoopid.

Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. If you don't want to make socks, then don't make socks.

Personally I wouldn't ever want to knit a life-sized car, so I am quite certain I never will.

Only do what you enjoy.

It's a small world but I'd hate to have to paint it.Mason as usual is full of knitting wisdom! I completely agree!

sakura-panda
09-14-2009, 04:31 PM
I forgot about this thread! How fun to read everyone's responses again! :)

I did try a baby hat after this and it turned out really cute! :thumbsup: I haven't been able to do one since but that is a topic for its own thread.

I have not frogged that sock yet, but I will someday because I don't know where I left off. KnitPicks had a sale in the spring and I bought more sock yarn. :teehee: I thought maybe dark blue (dusk) yarn on Harmony needles was a poor combination that contributed to my frustration. I want to try one more time with either brighter yarn or shiny nickel plated needles (I have both now.)

I have some other projects I want to get to first, though.

Ariel -- those cozies are very cute! You should start a thread just for them rather than burying them in mine. :lol:

bambi
09-14-2009, 10:11 PM
This is pretty hilarious! I loved re-reading this thread because I have just finsihed those silly socks I have been trying to knit since last year. :mrgreen:

I got the hang of the toothpicks and dental floss and I'm by no means a true sock knitter but they are great to take along to appointments or when you have a wait somewhere. :knitting:

I have recently bought enough yarn for two more pairs of socks and pulled out two patterns from my pattern stash. :teehee:

Keep them around, girl! You may yet finish them! :thumbsup:

Shandeh
09-15-2009, 05:49 AM
I always feel a bit better frogging a project that has hurt my feelings, vengeance will be mine says the little knitter! Take that and that! You silly hat this is what you get for not behaving! Then I feel much better :)
I LOVE FROGGING! :cheering:
It's SO liberating to pull out all the yarn on a project I can't stand anymore.

I even say a little "cheer" while I'm doing it....
F - R - O - G!
You will never ever be...
A sock, a hat....
Or anything else like that!
:)

My mom keeps bugging me to knit another sweater, but I am in the process of losing weight, so I don't want to put all that time and effort into something that -hopefully- wouldn't even fit by the time it's done, or a year from then.
I'm the same way, Krystal! I'm the biggest I've ever been in my life right now, and I don't want to create a permanent record of it! :teehee: