PDA

View Full Version : Follow up - the columnist responds! Knitting passenger makes flight "unbearable"

katknit
11-10-2008, 10:57 AM
She has responded to our uproar!
http://danceswithwool.wordpress.com/2008/11/11/dont-knock-the-knitters-follow-up-to-the-knitter-on-the-plane/

Snarky travel article:
:eyebrow2:
http://danceswithwool.wordpress.com/2008/11/10/knitting-news-knitting-passenger-makes-flight-unbearable/

Sunshine's Mom
11-10-2008, 11:07 AM
To that I say.....

Maybe those knitting needles would save her life IF a terrorist did take over the plane. A good poke to the eye would be what he/she needed.

I agree about how dumb it is not to be able to take liquids in your carry-on, and I am a bit dumb-founded about why you CAN take knitting needles, but not a nail file. Who made these rules? You can do more damage with a ball-point pen than a nail file.

Knitting_Guy
11-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Wow, this writer must have an “unbearable” time wherever he/she goes if someone simply knitting bothered them that much.

I wonder what kind of needles this person was using that they “hissed’? None of my needles have ever hissed at me, was this woman knitting with snakes or something?

knitgal
11-10-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm also slightly offended that the writer assumed that the 20 something listening to her iPod didn't knit. How rude!

KnitClickChick
11-10-2008, 12:15 PM
I guess some people just aren't happy unless they are complaining about something. Unbearable to me is someone vomiting during the flight, certainly not knitting.

crazykntter83
11-10-2008, 12:32 PM
I am offended by this woman's article. And the poor knitting woman. What did she ever do to her. I'm also offended that she assumed the 20 something didn't knit. I am 25 and have been knitting for 7 or 8 years now. How rude.

lelvsdgs
11-10-2008, 02:42 PM
I was offended that she called her foul smelling and fat. What a jerk. She acts like knitting is a crime or something. Some people just don't get it.

Jan in CA
11-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Do you earn money sending people to your blog? :?? :teehee:

Here's the full article.
http://www.northjersey.com/betterliving/travel/Knitting_passenger_makes_trip_unbearable.html

katknit
11-10-2008, 03:00 PM
No, nothing.

Jan in CA
11-10-2008, 03:02 PM
No, nothing.

I was just teasing. You always post links that start with your blog. :teehee:

:hug:

OffJumpsJack
11-10-2008, 03:04 PM
The columnist, Jill Schensul, later made a comment in the article that may explain her sensitive nature.

"I had to pack my bottle of wine in my checked suitcase, along with my toothpaste and allergy nasal spray — while a foul-smelling woman with a poke-the-pilots'-eyes-out weapon sat right beside me."

Perhaps she had too much wine or to little allergy medicine, either of which could explain why she was annoyingly miserable. She shouldn't blame any other passengers.

So, I feel sorry for the row-mates of that "travel" columnist who doesn't trael often! :nails:

Edit to add:

Here is a link to the foul online "paper' and the travel column. The column was from the Nov. 9, 2008 The Record (http://www.northjersey.com/betterliving/travel/Knitting_passenger_makes_trip_unbearable.html)

--Jack :guyknitting:

vaknitter
11-10-2008, 03:37 PM
WOW - I'm really suprised someone printed that without thinking that knitting is incredibly popular and she made some horrible remarks regarding the passengers weight and hygeine.

I wonder if I "look" like a knitter?

Oh well - very glad to see that she was given her due and reprimanded by everyone that left comments on the same sight

luvmykid28
11-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Unbelievable. People are so intolerant.

bambi
11-10-2008, 11:15 PM
A trite article from a small minded woman!!! I love the knitter's comments.

Bambi

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-10-2008, 11:49 PM
I totally thought the knitter in the article was ME... but I smell good :)

Mr. Article Writer is a BUTTHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!!!:

Cynamar
11-10-2008, 11:50 PM
She sounds like a difficult, high-maintenance person that I would not want to spend time around!

KnittinMitchie
11-11-2008, 01:00 AM
I guess some people just aren't happy unless they are complaining about something. Unbearable to me is someone vomiting during the flight, certainly not knitting.

Unbearable is also a screaming child so be it mine or anyone elses. So I feel for anyone who flies with kids. Landing and take off is rough on their ears.

But yes I agree the journalist is a little short sighted in her views and "assumed" knitting was for older women.

lelvsdgs
11-11-2008, 01:39 AM
Wow! The knitters really came out in force to show their anger! Yay us!!! It will be interesting to watch and see if anything comes of this, like an apology...

GinnyG
11-11-2008, 10:05 AM
I think we should band together and poke her with our sharpest needles. Then she will know what unbearable is!

idiot.

katknit
11-11-2008, 10:25 PM
bump

suzeeq
11-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Well geeze, pencils and pens have always been allowed and they're just as much a weapon, perhape more so, than knitting needles.

KnittinMitchie
11-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Glad to see she's a knitter and understand but I bet you she thinks twice again about commenting with out really thinking.

sakura-panda
11-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Maybe I skimmed, but she sounded like she was more frustrated with the flight than with the knitter. I get grouchy when I'm crowded up against people and it's one of many reasons I try not to fly. :pout:

I think that anybody sitting next to her would have frustrated her. However, venting in an online column was not a good choice! :fingerwag:

Simply_Renee
11-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Well, I read the article, response, and comments and here is my 2 cents.

I must just be weird or something. People sitting next to me don't really bother me. Neither does body odor or screaming children. I always try to assume that someone might have a reason for the way they look or smell or what they do.

I have a hard time, though, being tolerant of mean behavior. Some people just can't help but be offended by everything and nasty to others. I don't think that article had any place in professional journalism- but look at what "sells" and all the reality/soap operas of nastiness people find amusing.

I think her article made me more upset that she was speaking so disrespectfully about another human- one who really seemed to be trying not to be a pain and was just being friendly. Save your scorn for the people out there trampling on others on purpose.

MAmaDawn
11-12-2008, 11:06 AM
What a hateful article! I will never understand people like this...

MAmaDawn
11-12-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm reading the comments left... many are quite funny...

I really liked this one...

The sound of knitting needles hurt your head? You felt phantom bugs crawling on you? You were upset that you weren't able to put your wine in your carry on? Were going through the DTs?

evona
11-12-2008, 11:42 AM
What a horrible, bitter life this woman must lead.

BTW - you can actually cause a lot of damage and possibly even kill someone from a blow from a tightly rolled up magazine (learned this in a self defense class). Somehow I don't think she would have complained if her seat mate was reading a magazine though. How utterly ignorant!

knitasha
11-12-2008, 11:51 AM
There's a HUGE thread on Ravelry about the column and the followup, including a letter from an editor in response to the outrage.
Read all about it --
http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/needlework-on-the-net/406728/476-500#494

bambi
11-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Heh, heh! Next time, she'll be more careful than insulting the knitting community but I do agree that the bans are getting ridiculous.

Bambi

vaknitter
11-12-2008, 02:29 PM
I don't really see that as much of an apology. Knitter or non-knitter, her comments were just off base and RUDE. I got to thinking about it and I wonder if she was even on a flight b/c I just flew and was able to take my quart size zip-loc with me that contained hand sanitizer, lotion, nasal spray, chapstick, toothpaste etc. And did I read it right that they gave her peanuts? I haven't gotten peanuts on a flight in years and this last time I flew they wanted to charge me $2 for soda/water and didn't give me even pretzels !!

Mommy22alyns
11-12-2008, 02:48 PM
I agree, that "apology" was just a bunch of backpedaling to try and save face.

I also agree that her assumption that the twentysomething with the ipod didn't knit was silly - I knit, sometimes with an MP3 player in my ears, and on a good day I might still be mistaken for a twentysomething.

What a cranky little misanthrope she is. Take this! :knitting: :knitting: :p

nephthys8
11-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Now that she has posted an "apology" of sorts, I'm a bit torn.

On a positive note, I am glad that she is a fellow knitter. I'm a little confused as to why she made knitting needles sound like dangerous weapons in the first place if she is, though. I totally get her point about how they allow knitting needles but not lotion, though. I fully agree that the standards are absurd. It would make more sense to me for them to allow liquids instead of knitting needles.

On a negative note, I also agree with her about the body odor part. I live in the Washington DC metropolitan area and I take the metro (subway) to work every day. Especially this summer when gas prices were skyrocketing, it was crowded. Hygiene becomes VERY important when you are packed in like a sardine. There was one instance in the past 7 months where I had to get off of a train and wait for the next one because the person standing next to me was making me feel sick to my stomach from their smell. There was another instance where I did physically throw up after being stuck on a train (broken down train in a tunnel ahead of us, couldn't move, couldn't get off, etc.) next to a similarly smelly person. As the author pointed out origianlly, air travel is suffering from similar problems as they cut the number of flights and fill the remaining flights to capacity. I would have been just as upset as she was if I'd been crammed onto a plane for several hours next to someone who smells--body odor or due to a strong perfume are the same in my opinion. Just clean yourself up and try to be as "neutral" as possible if you are going to be in a crowded place.

OffJumpsJack
11-13-2008, 04:42 PM
It would make more sense to me for them to allow liquids instead of knitting needles

Nope, needles can be seen and defended against.

Can you tell if the liquid is water, acid, or an explosive just by looking at it?

Thought not.

I do agree about the odor issue, be it natural or perfume, it doesn't matter to my asthma. Some of the nicest smelling things can kill me, litterally.

Also, If they don't allow you to bring a sealed drink onto the plain, then they souldn't be allowed to charge you for a drink of water either!

enough said.

--Jack.

suzeeq
11-13-2008, 10:39 PM
I've had no problem bringing an empty water bottle to the airport, then filling it from a sink/drinking fountain there and bringing it on the plane. Or buy water from one of the concessions. I seldom have to drink from it during the flight, though, because they usually have some liquid refreshments.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-14-2008, 05:12 PM
I think the apology sucks too. Snarkity snark snark! :!!!:

saracidaltendencies
11-14-2008, 06:05 PM
What a ray of sunshine she is. :teehee: