PDA

View Full Version : Need Help to Find an Earwarmer Pattern

diehlsb
11-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi,
Friday I saw a knitted headband at a craft fair. It was garter stitch, widened from back to front, and had an extra wide area about where your ears would be. Has anyone seen anything like that?

Thanks,
RV'ing SueCrossed Fingers

Becky Morgan
11-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Sure. They're pretty common around the Midwest US. Let me look around a minute...argh, dial-up! See if anything on this list will help:
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/winter_wear.php

Jan in CA
11-10-2008, 07:44 PM
I think I know what you mean and I think I've seen a pattern, but I can't find one. :think:

diehlsb
11-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks, Becky. I might be able to adapt one -- Although I'm in Arizona, mornings get cold enough in the winter that we have to bundle up! Probably use lighter yarn than you would in the Midwest, though.
Sue

themonkeygirl
12-03-2008, 03:22 PM
There is a really cute one in the Stitch N Bitch Nation book. I'm thinking of making it quite soon!

rachael72knitter
12-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Here is a link to one that I found on Ravelry-

http://juliseyes.blogspot.com/2007/02/give-peace-chance-bomber-hat-free.html

Daylilydayzed
12-09-2008, 12:26 PM
I found this one:
http://knittingscientist.blogspot.com/2008/01/my-ear-warmers.html
I think I will make me one to wear under my school crossing guard helmut.

madidolly
12-10-2008, 07:05 AM
Argh!! I know the exact pattern your talking about! The head band was just a few inches wide but you increased and then decreased to make the area over the ear wider. On one of mine I made the ear area with fuzzy yarn added in. Super cute. I could probably just wing it by casting on about 2 or 2 1/2 inches across and knit about 2 1/2 or 3 inches and start inceasing then decreasing for the ear area and continue around to other ear area and finish off end then sew.

TrotnT
12-17-2008, 12:43 PM
I have a knitted headband in front of me - just what you described. In fact I've been looking for the directions but have not been able to find them. It starts at the back seam, and is 4" wide. You would knit in the garter stitch for 4", then maybe decrease one stitch every other row for about 2". Then continue for 4", and then start increasing (I would guess increase one stitch every other row for about 2"), and then continue on the 4" wide for 4 more inches. I'm not one bit good at trying to make up a pattern from a knitted piece, but this looks pretty simple. This one is thin - probably done in a sport yarn.

This is the first time I've been on this forum. I'd try to take a picture, but I'll have to figure out how to post it. I hope the dimensions help a little.

Jan in CA
12-17-2008, 01:30 PM
This is the first time I've been on this forum. I'd try to take a picture, but I'll have to figure out how to post it. I hope the dimensions help a little.

Welcome! Click the link in my signature or the link at the top of the forum list to find out how to post pix and size, etc.