PDA

View Full Version : Quick question - advanced beginner confused

nancysal
11-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Is a "yarn over" the same as a "yarn forward"

YO YFWD

cdjack
11-11-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm pretty sure it is. I think that a yarn forward is what a yarn over is called in British knitting.

cftwo
11-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Yes. :)

tarrentella
11-12-2008, 09:52 AM
not always! generally yes YFWD is a slightly old fashioned and Brittish term for a YO but sometimes it can simply meen to bring the yarn to the front of the work.

suzeeq
11-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Usually though, if a pattern wants you to simply bring the yarn to the front which is followed by a slip st, it's written `slip 1 st wyif'.

Crycket
11-12-2008, 11:29 AM
I always thought that Yarn Forward was a better term then Yarn over...

For me...it seems to describe the motion of the yarn better...

anniep
11-12-2008, 07:49 PM
I always thought that Yarn Forward was a better term then Yarn over...

For me...it seems to describe the motion of the yarn better...

I agree! I'm such a "visual" learner.:lol:

ThreeFish
11-14-2008, 05:16 PM
I actually did a lot of research on this question a few months ago and came across a lovely page explaining it. I'll have to try to find it for you!

A lot of the confusion comes from translating British English patterns to American English. Britain apparently has 3 or 4 different ways to do yarn overs depending on the end result desired.

Bah I really can't give the explanation justice. I'll have to look for the page I mentioned! I'll edit when I find it!

Finally! I must have really been digging deep when I came across it the first time. Took me 2 hours to find it the second time!

All you could ever know about yarn overs! http://explaiknit.typepad.com/let_me_explaiknit/2005/11/so_um_whats_thi.html

suzeeq
11-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Britain apparently has 3 or 4 different ways to do yarn overs depending on the end result desired.

It's not depending on the end result. It's depending on whether the YO is between 2 knits, 2 purls, a knit and purl or a purl and knit. But they all result in a YO.