PDA

View Full Version : The Economy Is Crimping My Knitting

Knitting_Guy
11-14-2008, 02:16 PM
We all know the economy is in the tank right now. I've been sitting at home for over a week now with no current hopes of getting a load out any time soon.

Freight is very slow all over the country. That's one big down side to doing what I do. I don't get paid if I'm not rolling. Things have been slow for several weeks now and I am just not making any money.

I had planned on ordering yarn to make another sweater, but thanks to the poor freight
situation I just don't have the money to buy yarn.

I have plenty of odds and ends yarn, but not enough of anything to make a large project.

Worse case maybe I can just make a hodge-podge sweater out of the various assorted stuff I have. It'll be ugly as sin but will keep me busy.

No real point here, just sitting around bored and wanted to complain a bit. :rofl:

suzeeq
11-14-2008, 02:26 PM
It's too bad there's not more freight moving, what with fuel prices about half what they were in the summer.

Do you have enough leftovers for half mitts or hats?

lelvsdgs
11-14-2008, 02:35 PM
I feel your pain. I've been home on disability for 5 weeks after having a hysterectomy and I am sweating what my paycheck is going to look like. And here I had planned on making lots of xmas gifts this year...
I guess we all just have to hang in there and hope things improve soon. And luckily, I do have quite a stash. Not enough for big projects but enough to do hats or scarves and lots of dishcloths.
Hope you're back to rolling soon.

Knitting_Guy
11-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Yeah I have enough to do plenty of hats and such, but to be honest I've made so many of them this year I'm kind of bored with them.

I have a Palindrome scarf on the needles now and am so bored with it I haven't touched it in a week. Ah well, like I said, just wanted to complain a bit to those who understand.

cindycactus
11-14-2008, 03:10 PM
I vote for the ugly sweater. It would keep your interest and could be fun. :clink: Especially if you have a drink or two whilst knitting. :roflhard:

suzeeq
11-14-2008, 03:16 PM
You might be able to pick up some yarn or a sweater to recycle very inexpensively from a thrift store, too. Probably not too many wool or cashmere blends where you are, but you never know.

Knitting_Guy
11-14-2008, 03:40 PM
I vote for the ugly sweater. It would keep your interest and could be fun. :clink: Especially if you have a drink or two whilst knitting. :roflhard:

Actually I am sorting through what I have to see just how ugly a sweater I can come up with :rofl:

saracidaltendencies
11-14-2008, 04:07 PM
I totally feel your pain! I can't even remember the last time I bought yarn, and, the stash I have that I thought would be never-ending is dwindling away! If I had some to spare (and extra cash for postage...lol) I'd surely send ya some yarn.

Just drink LOTS o' beer and make the ugliest sweater you can, you just may get a kick out of it :teehee:

cftwo
11-14-2008, 04:18 PM
You could also do a scrap afghan... Just about any pattern done in pieces and sewn together, or done in stripes, can be made from yarn remnants. Something like this http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/afghans/st_st.htm or this http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/rainbow/rainbow.html or the log cabin blankets in Mason-Dixon knitting. This book also looks like it should have some ideas: http://www.amazon.com/100-Afghan-Squares-Knit-Instructions/dp/1570762228/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226693817&sr=8-4

Just as an alternative to the sweater.

Knitting_Guy
11-14-2008, 04:38 PM
I was sorting through my stash. It's mostly acrylics as I've already used up most of the "good stuff".

I have enough Caron Simply Soft and Vanna's Choice in browns, gold, and some other colors that might actually go together that I think I can put together an ugly sweater that might actually look intentional.

I appreciate the yarn offers (here and in PMs), but as postage is expensive these days, and money is going to be short for everyone soon, I just can't accept. No offense to anyone and I hope y'all understand.

Now if I just happen to be at a truckstop near you... :rofl:

PurlyGyrl
11-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Yep. Freight is slow right now. My brother in law has had to dead head home alot in the past six weeks or so. Sometimes he gets paid for it; sometimes he doesn't. But for some reason, the nuclear hauling picks up in the winter--I've never figured out why.
Oh, other vote for the ugly sweater. Go for it. It will go with my ugly bag:teehee: I've bee saving all my dibs and dabs of wool to make a felted bag. None of my wools really go together--hot pink, bright teal, a weird brown, gray, lilac, baby pink, black, but I thought what the heck.

MoniDew
11-14-2008, 05:32 PM
:verysad: I feel your pain, my friend. I feel your pain. :verysad:
________
GRAN FURY (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Plymouth_Gran_Fury)

Ironlung21
11-14-2008, 08:01 PM
My Scottish Great Aunties were always unpicking old things that people had given them or they had got a jumble sales - they would steam them over the kettle to get the kinks out and start again. Apparently -I was told repeatedly - everyone did this in the war. There is another explaination of course - they were just tight. They will certainly be spinning in their graves at the cost of modern wools.

Maybe something brought back into use from the old and unwanted is better than a huge effort for something ugly...

Knitting_Guy
11-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Maybe something brought back into use from the old and unwanted is better than a huge effort for something ugly...

Ah, but ya have to understand, I actually LIKE ugly :rofl:

sgtpam
11-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Lately, my sister has found some great yarn deals at thrift stores and goodwill. They never have any when I go...

Have you tried toys.......I bet you could make some good ones! And, I could be wrong...but, I seem to remember you whip up a mean sock...maybe you could do a few of those mini Christmas socks that Momwolfs collecting for the military (on the charity link). I think she still need a few hundred.

Plantgoddess+
11-14-2008, 10:00 PM
I hope business picks up for you soon. At least now you know that you should have a yarn stash to go along with a savings account for rainy days.

Jaxhil
11-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Yep-I know what you mean.. I agree on the thrift store route, though ~just today I got a BIG bag full of Yarn Bee yarn(hobby lobby's brand) and an afghan that's already 1/3rd finished for a measly $2.99!!!! woo-hoo!

Ya gotta love that, even if it is a yarn I wouldn't have bought normally. (I can't afford to spend that much!! LOL).The colors are pretty, and each ball was originally $5.42 apiece-and there are at least 10-15 balls including the already crocheted bit.

I figure I'll probably just finish what they've started, and save the trouble of frogging! Lots of cheap :knitting:therapy~ only I'll be crocheting of course, lol!

sgtpam
11-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Yep-I know what you mean.. I agree on the thrift store route, though ~just today I got a BIG bag full of Yarn Bee yarn(hobby lobby's brand) and an afghan that's already 1/3rd finished for a measly $2.99!!!!

Just like my sister......how come the ones I go to never have yarn for a steal!:pout:

suzeeq
11-14-2008, 11:01 PM
It varies - I made a good haul one visit summer before last, and passed up some of what they had, the bins were stuffed though. I went back about a week later for some of the other yarns (mostly it moves slowly) and they had been cleaned out and remained that way for a couple months. So it goes in cycles; you just have to stop in every week or so.

cfaustino
11-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Actually I am sorting through what I have to see just how ugly a sweater I can come up with :rofl:

I'm eager to see this sweater - please post a picture when it's finished!:teehee:

Cynamar
11-15-2008, 01:49 AM
Oh, yeah, knitting under the influence has to be interesting! It'll keep you from drunk dialing, too.

Jaxhil
11-15-2008, 09:15 AM
sgtpam-LOL! I actually *rarely* find such good deals, usually they charge a LOT more, for one, and for two, it's often something I wouldn't want to add to my stash. So this was a really lucky find.

I agree with Sue-it *does* go in cycles. You just have to be persistent~eventually it will pay off!

jpenguin
11-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Mason,

I can sympathize with you about this.:verysad: As I told you once before my husband is a transportation broker & owner of the company so my yarn buying has gone to nothing since earlier this year. It SUCKS!!!! Pardon my french please. I am going to have to go into the stash & finally do all those projects I have bought for. I will admit that I am addicted to yarn but I swear that it just jumps in my basket & I have no idea how it got there but buying it anyway when I get to the registar. :teehee:

I will tell you though things are picking up for us so I hope & pray they will for you too soon. I saw diesel for under $3 a gal just yesterday here in the ATL area. You ever on the west side I'll let you go through my stash! :thumbsup:

auburnchick
11-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Yep...in the same boat, Mason.

I lost my part-time job at the law firm. My last day was Halloween. I've been fortunate that I'm picking up subbing jobs, but the hourly pay is less than half of what I was making before, so we're really cutting back. That includes yarn.

I trust that the economy will pick up one of these years. :wink:

Too bad we can't buy stock in the yarn companies. There will be a surge in buying as soon as everything gets better. :rofl:

Cynamar
11-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Not buying yarn is so drastic. Can't you folks do without electricity or something instead? Prioritize, people!

DianaM
11-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Have you considered getting a little side-job to fall back on during the slow freight times?

I know right now I'm unemployed and while my husband is able to keep us afloat on the bare necesities, it's driving me crazy that I can't find employment (military base overseas). I've had a couple of job interviews, but their paperwork takes a lot of time and I've been told to expect an answer sometime in the next 2-3 weeks.

So I've been mussing on things I could do to earn a few bucks until I can get a job.

Anyway.......just a.....rambled up thought.
Good luck on the ugly sweater!!

saracidaltendencies
11-16-2008, 01:23 AM
Yeah, I'm telling all of my family I want gift certificates for my LYS for Christmas! :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
11-16-2008, 01:25 AM
Have you considered getting a little side-job to fall back on during the slow freight times?

Actually I do have a side business. I do some computer work for a few businesses and private people. Repairs, upgrades, network consulting, etc. Even that's been dead.

Jan in CA
11-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Not buying yarn is so drastic. Can't you folks do without electricity or something instead? Prioritize, people!

:doh::roflhard::roflhard:

If all else fails, Mason you could also just knit with your stash for charity projects. It's fun to at least keep knitting.

Simply_Renee
11-17-2008, 03:58 PM
*sigh*

I know what you mean. I have worked at my job since 1995. Now the owner is filing bankruptcy and we're going out of business. There are hardly any jobs available right now. My last day is Wednesday or Friday- whenever we can get all of the accounts transferred.

Luckily I have known since September- so I have built up a little more savings and gotten some on sale yarn to build up the stash. I will have to be knitting from it for quite some time I imagine.

Times really are tough for a lot of people right now. I am trying not to worry about it though- it always gets better.

Hang in there.

linknit41
11-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Jan in CA has the right idea. i am blessed to work with a charity (Threads of Love) that sews, knits and crochets for premature babies. we get lots of yarn donations, & so as long as i want to knit bootees, hats and 'kangaroo blankets' (these are used when parents hold their tiny babies skin to skin for special bonding) i am in a good place. Threads of Love is a national organization with chapters all over the states. might be worth checking into-- not just for your knitting 'fix', but it does a lot to help the little ones and their families. linknit 41

KnitClickChick
11-18-2008, 10:32 PM
I feel your pain Mason. Other than my splurge in Toronto last month, I haven't really gotten any yarn. A couple of weeks ago, my company let about 50 people go. They took away our quarterly bonuses, are no longer matching our 401K contributions, and everyone had to take a pay cut. While that really stinks, at least I still have my job... for now. Who knows how long it will last. I'm looking into a second job, just part time so at least I can have something to hopefully fall back on should it get worse. Ah, well. It can't stay like this forever, it has to get better at some point. Right?! :pout:

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-19-2008, 02:49 AM
I think I'll go home and hug my yarn stash... I no longer feel guilty for having 'so much yarn.'... (hey, I live overseas.. and many foreign lands haven't had yarn to buy -- or at least NOT in my area that I was living in.. but, I really never did see yarn when I lived in the hot tropical Philippines either- but, I could totally see why there wasn't yarn for sale there... not saying that there wasn't some for sale.. just not in the boonies where I lived.)

IF I ended up in a location... that had yarn for sale (like Italy and Italy= yummy yarns) I'd buy yarn. I'm so glad that I did buy yarn.. when I could.. since, I don't have the options to buy yarns on sale in the states.

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-19-2008, 02:52 AM
Mason... I think of your truck driving every morning and evening.. when I am behind the German big rigs...

Why? By law they are allowed the top speed of 40mph. (of course, they follow the KPH rules-- but, I have it converted for the set speeds posted)... sure makes it hard to pass them on the hilly, curvy roads... so, I just stay behind them... because, I'll get home eventually.

;) *I don't think I'll ever do like the German drivers do.. pass on curves either.

Debkcs
11-19-2008, 04:54 AM
Renee, sorry you've lost your job. That hurts a lot, I know.