PDA

View Full Version : How much yarn do you order?

Lisa R.
11-16-2008, 07:39 PM
I have a pattern that calls for 220 yds of yarn. Without thinking two much about it, I ordered two 110-yd skeins, and went right about my business.

Fortunately, my tension is nice and tight, and I ended up with about 10 inches of yarn leftover!:shock:

Anyway, that was the first time I've had a pattern that called for something where the length of my skeins was so exactly what I needed.

Next time I plan to buy an extra skein....but then do you just look for partial one-skein project for the leftovers?

Is that what most everyone does?

Knitting_Guy
11-16-2008, 07:57 PM
I calculate about how much I'll need, and then normally add 10-20% depending on how large the project.

RuthieinMaryland
11-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Hi, Lisa! :waving:

If you go over to the "Pattern Central" section here on KH you'll find a "sticky" at the top of the page with stashbusting ideas. It's a great thread with lots of ideas for using up those yarn extras that somehow breed and populate knitters' cupboards, drawers, closets, bags and boxes.

Mason's right - get that extra skein for your projects. Heartbreaking to run out 10 feet - or 10 inches - from the end!

Happy knitting,
Ruthie :knitting:

Cynamar
11-16-2008, 09:07 PM
I always add at least an extra skein more than the yardage called for just in case. I think I'm going to use all of the leftovers to make squares for a sampler blanket.

MAmaDawn
11-17-2008, 08:17 AM
There are lots of ways to use up old yarn... if you have acrylic you can join us with the oddball blankets... you can make oddball sweaters (EZ's surprise jacket is great for this) and there are lots of little times you can make too

klymyshyn
11-17-2008, 09:42 AM
I LOVE it when that happens...I consider it "providence"...when I order yarn online I fill the box to get free shipping...I can ALWAYS use yarn!
kelly.