PDA

View Full Version : How did you learn to knit?

Moonflower
11-17-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm new to knitting and this forum. I've wanted to learn to knit since I was a little girl watching Little House on the Prairie and finally at 33, I took my first knitting lesson this past Saturday and I'm hooked! I was trying to sneak in rows at work today :heart:

I'd like to know how you learned to knit. The thing I'm most curious about is how you learned to troubleshoot, and the "tricks" like how to fix a dropped stitch and the things you just can't learn in an hour-long class.

I've often wished I knew a knitter I could learn from, but I don't know any, so I have to learn a class at a time and by reading sites like this one.

I look forward to learning here.

IM4EVERGOOD2U
11-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Hello Moonflower,

I am a brand new knitter. I have only been knitting a couple of weeks and I learned on this site. They have some great video that show you everything from casting on all the way to dropped stitches. They have advanced techniques and everything. This is an amazing site to start with.

I have already knit a scarf, baby booties and now I am working on a shawl. Good luck and dont be afraid to ask questions. Everyone here is very helpful.

Happy knitting!:knitting:

Knitting_Guy
11-17-2008, 08:55 PM
How did you learn to knit?I'll let ya know if I ever learn. :rofl:

Seriously, I learned by a combination of Amy's videos here at KH, and experimenting. Don't be afraid to try things, experiment, and just knit. Who cares if it doesn't come out perfect the first time? You learn from it and try again.

When I first joined here I was struggling to learn and frustrated by a simple ribbed scarf. Now I just knit my own stuff without using patterns. Ok, my stuff is ugly as heck, but it's mine :rofl:

Ya dive in and ya learn.

Darby
11-17-2008, 09:24 PM
I took my first class on Sat too. :) But I got bored just practicing the knit stitch so I got on this site and looked at the videos and I'm now starting a dishcloth doing knit and purl stitches. I did make some mistake (I have NO idea what I did) and saw a hole in my work. I looked at the videos but I couldn't make sense of how to fix it. I unraveled it but couldn't get the project back on the needle so I just started over again.
I think with certain things (for me anyway), I need personal help. I have my second class next Sat. and I know they offer personal help certain days of the week for a price of 5.00.

shelluie
11-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Hello and welcome. I'm new to this site too and am loving it! I started knitting about 1 year ago but still consider myself a beginner. I learned how to cast on, and do the knit stitch, and bind off from my mom (that's all she knows how to do) and the rest I've learned from this amazing site! If you have a question or problem, just post it here and some nice person, or 2, 3, or several (hee hee) will help you!

ecb
11-17-2008, 09:56 PM
I bought a laminated page at the UPS store
then did a Google search for some help
and found this really neat websie called knitting help dot com
oh wait, THIS is that site

I also bought a TON of knitting books
and posted and talked to everyone i could find
I even found some knitting groups

ecb

sabrinasmom
11-17-2008, 10:04 PM
I had a how to book and finally used it. Of course I had watched my mother :heart: for years so I'm sure that made it easier. I feel so fortunate to have someone to go to in reading patterns and showing me the stitches and the easier way to do some things. And the cost is zero!! I love this site also because I have learned a few things and I can get on line and see how to do stitches since I cannot always run back home.

AAngels
11-17-2008, 10:13 PM
I first learned how to knit/crochet when I was around 10 years. Learned from my grandma the English version. She was so fast in both.
Since then I have been doing items on and off. More so in the past 10 years. I am so hooked. It is relaxing and fun!!
I am making a lot of christmas gifts this year with knitting.
It always helps to learn from each other and I still am learning too.
Love to mess around with new stitches.

Thanks
Kathy

newamy
11-17-2008, 10:20 PM
I learned how to knit here on knitting help and then reading lots. I've never taken a class.

suzeeq
11-17-2008, 10:37 PM
I learned in High school from a How To book my mother had (she crocheted and I learned crochet from it too). I just figured out a lot of things on my own and what worked and what didn't work. It helps to learn how to read your knitting so you not which stitch is which and when you've messed up.

saracidaltendencies
11-17-2008, 11:06 PM
I learned by reading the Stitch N Bitch book, watching the videos here, and of course, trial and error. Before I actually knit anything significant, I knit swatch after swatch, practicing different stitches, and, practicing picking up dropped stitches. That way I'd know how to take care of a dropped stitch before I actually had a WIP...lol

cfiest
11-18-2008, 07:23 AM
Hi! I took a knitting class a few years ago. I had always wanted to learn to knit, but no one in my family knits nor do friends. The class was an hour long for 4 sessions. We made a simple scarf. When someone made a mistake, she showed us how to correct it. I have lot of knitting books and use on line instructions that I use. I'm hooked now. At out local coffee shop, in the winter months, there is a get together once a week to knit and chat. Its great. That way there is always someone there to help out. I've made some knitting friends that way. I even taught my sister to knit and she has already made a scarf.

remclave
11-18-2008, 08:13 AM
I learned how to knit in June 1984 from a pattern called "The Pride of Ireland". I still have that ragged old afghan. After an on again/off again phase, I picked up knitting again in earnest in January of 2007 with a helping hand from knitting help dot com for techniques I had not even thought of attempting until now and haven't stopped since.... :D

As for learning how to read stitches and "mistakes" that truly comes with experience. I just ripped 14 rounds from a cabled jumper that I am making for my husband. It took me two hours to pick up and reset all those stitches. Even with some experience under my belt it is still scary to have over 300 stitches free floating with a passel of kitties waiting to lay down on that warm pile of alpaca wool....:frog:

WandaT
11-18-2008, 08:39 AM
I've been knitting for almost 3 years now and I learned from my MIL, some friends, Knitty Gritty (it was on then) and mainly this site. Thank God for the internet! There is a wealth of information at our fingertips any time of the day or night. :)

Ronda
11-18-2008, 08:40 AM
I learned mostly from KnittingHelp.com. This site is where I get all my help even now! :muah::heart::muah:

cftwo
11-18-2008, 09:37 AM
I learned from my mom when I was little, and had her to help troubleshoot. I also did a lot of re-dos, where I frogged and started over again. I became very good at casting ON because I started and restarted projects so many times. But I didn't cast OFF nearly as often, so when I hit college and was trying to cast off a scarf, I had to get my grandma (who happened to be there for parents' weekend) to show me how to do it.

The short answer - in person instruction.

klymyshyn
11-18-2008, 10:23 AM
I learned how to knit on pencils with my BFF (still my BFF) in the 5th grade. We made scarves.
kelly.

MAmaDawn
11-18-2008, 10:26 AM
I learned when I was 8 from my Grandma... I only learned the knit stitch... I made a baby blanket for my baby brother...

Then about 7 years ago I picked it back up, but was really having a hard go at it and stopped again...

Then about 3 1/2 or 4 years ago I started again and found this site, at first I only found the videos, then I found this forum... and I've been hooked ever sense. I watched the videos over and over, even before I knew what a gusset was I had watch Amy knit it. I learned a lot just dong that. I also learned to watch how stitches are made. I messed around, making things that were simple.

Really it mostly takes time and trying new things. Cables used to look hard, so did color work and lace, now I prefer for something like that to be in the pattern so I don't get bored. I have a few mindless knitting projects going but for the most part I don't do a lot of those.

I would really encourage you to get Elizabeth Zimmerman's book Knitting Workshop... she will have you working on stuff that you don't think you can do. And there is a dvd that goes with it that's wonderful too. Her writing is fun to read and will help you.

Glad you have joined us! Welcome to the wonderful world of knitting!

dustinac
11-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Hi and welcome to KH!!

I learned to knit in 2005 after watching Amy's videos here on KH. For learning how to correct mistakes though you gotta learn how the stitch works. Take some scrap yarn and follow a stitch and see how it works with the other stitches...knit a few rows and then remove the work from your needles and try to put the sts back on...or let one st drop and then fix it. Once you learn how the st works you can do anything. Don't be afraid to try new techniques at all...remember it's just yarn and can be fixed :thumbsup:

Simply_Renee
11-18-2008, 10:33 AM
I bought the Boye learning to knit kit- then came here, read a lot, asked a lot of questions and watched the videos to figure out the drawings.

I learned how to fix dropped stitches by reading the Yarn Harlot's blog- she had a tutorial on fixing things.

Now I have met some real life knitters at my church and a knitting group so I have people to ask when I need help- but I am finding more and more that I am able to help others- which is pretty darn cool.

cdjack
11-18-2008, 10:40 AM
I learned about four years ago. I checked out "Stitch N' Bitch" from the library, went to Hobby Lobby for some cheap yarn and needles, and got started. Then, I found this site when I needed help with my first worn item.

McKnitty
11-18-2008, 10:45 AM
The thing I'm most curious about is how you learned to troubleshoot, and the "tricks" like how to fix a dropped stitch and the things you just can't learn in an hour-long class.

1. I bought a learn-to-knit book by Klutz
2. I watched/recorded Knitty Gritty every time it came on (but it isn't on much anymore)
3. I found an awesome LYS
4. I found this wonderful website!

For troubleshooting, there are a lot of tips here on this website. Amy's videos are awesome! Also, there are several great books out there. My favorite is Knit Fix by Lisa Kartus. I keep that book close by me when I'm knitting.

kakalova
11-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Hello,
I am a new in this forumm and I hope to learn moe and more about knitting

suzeeq
11-18-2008, 11:17 AM
I learned how to knit on pencils with my BFF (still my BFF) in the 5th grade. We made scarves.

I swiped a couple of tintertoy stitcks from my brother and sharpened them in the pencil sharpener and practiced with string.

Abbily
11-18-2008, 11:59 AM
My grandma taught me to knit when I was little, but I didn't knit anything between the ages of 7 and 31, so I forgot pretty much everything she taught me. I re-taught myself by watching Amy's videos. :)

A lot of the mechanics of knitting, you just learn as you go. When you make a mistake, try undoing your work to see if you can fix it. That will teach you a lot about the construction of knitted fabric. Also, there are tons of helpful videos and tutorials around- here, on youtube, on blogs like www.yarnharlot.ca, and tons of help available from other knitters here and around the web. Check out the 'knitters knear you' section of the forum- you might find other knitters to get together with. :)

crazykntter83
11-18-2008, 12:34 PM
I learned to cast on from my Mom, and knit stitch from my Dad. Then about 7 years later, I came across this site and learned the rest. :)

Snugglebugmom
11-18-2008, 12:38 PM
My mom taught me when I was 6 years old, and I've knit on and off most of my life. I stepped it up a notch (or ten) when I got pregnant with my first child. Knitting has been the constant in my crafting life.

Miss Kittie
11-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Gram taught me how to crochet.
My Aunt bought me How-to-knit book and a pair of size 7 needles for Christmas when I was small..
So the next year for Christmas I made her a sweater...
I'm still learning new things.. Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks???:knitting:

susi
11-18-2008, 12:54 PM
I learnt to knit about 4 years ago now, i had no money to buy my son jumpers and my gran had ten tons of yarn, needles and patterns so i had ago and hey presto i now make everything, its not such a cheap thing now :aww: .

as everyone's said its learning from the video's here etc and then trial and error. i have a scarf that i just cant get, i've started it over 10 times and am still trying to get it right.
welcome though :waving:

susi

Mike
11-18-2008, 01:07 PM
www.knittinghelp.com, both the videos and the forums. I'd read any thread that I thought I might end up being interested in so I'd be prepared before I got to the problem.

I did try printing out a page from somewhere else which ended up being English and I didn't take to it. I was using a couple of arrows as needles.

I'm mechanical minded so troubleshooting comes naturally.

Plantgoddess+
11-18-2008, 06:22 PM
I learned from pictures in a book on How to Knit. I've learned a lot more from trial and error and a couple of other books published in the 70's. I've learned even more from this site as well as various links to other sites that people here have posted. I am a much more confident knitter after being here for a year. It is after all only string and sticks and if you mess up you can always rip it out and try again.

dairywife
11-18-2008, 06:54 PM
I learned about 20 years ago from a How to Book, knitted for a while and then life happened. I read a couple of really good books "The knitting Circle", and "Friday Night Knitting Club". Fell in love again with the idea of knitting and so I picked it back up about three weeks ago and this time I am totaly obsessed. I have made a scarf for DH and 4-dish cloths and now have started my first large project....a beatiful (pictured anyway) afghan.

I can't wait for my day to finish so I can spend a few hours knitting before going to bed. It is my release.

I am new to this site and it is awesome. Everyone is so nice and very helpful.

lhollems
11-18-2008, 07:07 PM
I am actually new to knitting, been doing it a few weeks now. I have been crocheting since I was 11, and have been wanting to learn how to knit. So, I am basicly teaching myself by using websites and tutorials. Then I found this site! This site has been the best so far at tutorials and getting help, and so far i'm doing good and am very excited! I'm doing my first project, baby booties! LOL.

Moonflower
11-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks everyone, I've enjoyed reading about how you got started. I also made a list of books to check out.

I think I'll buy a skein of cheap yarn to practice on. I wish I learned sooner, I look forward to every stolen second working on my scarf :)

The videos on this site are awesome. I'm sure I'd have been back to my LYS several times already had it not been for those videos!

blueeyes28
11-19-2008, 08:28 AM
I taught myself to knit about 3 1/2 years ago now I think with just a book I bought at wal-mart called I can't believe I'm knitting,it came with two sets of needles some stitch markers a blunt tip needle and a counter,once I was able to cast on and knit,purl and cast off I found knittinghelp.com and I have learned most everything else here.

LadyFirelyght
11-19-2008, 09:09 AM
I read about.com's section on knitting to get me started and used other sites (but especially this one) to help me advance. I love the internet :)

Andres
11-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Internet...

...specially from KH.com, though I learned the most basic things (how to cast on, knit and purl) on lionbrandyarn.com.

sprig
11-19-2008, 11:03 AM
i learned to crochet when i was 4 my grandma taught me over the summer when i was staying with her... i used to visit her every summer and she would crochet all the time... when i was in first grade my teacher was pregnant and i made my first real project for her new baby and blanket... after that i read patterns and learned more from that ... i always wanted to knit but it seemed way more complicated. i asked my grandma to teach me when i was about 11... but i couldnt follow it then... when i was 20 and pregnant i had alot of time on my hands cause i wasnt working and i really wanted to give it another shot ... so i bought some books the one that helped the the most was the everything knitting book ... it had a lot of helpful tips and hints... crocheting really helps when u are knitting. crochet hooks are really good at picking up droped stiches... i'm new to this forum but they do have a lot of really good videos... and with something like knitting its easier i think to learn from seeing the movement of the needles and yarn than to try to envision it from still pics in a book ... but i like haveing a book incase the internet is down or something i always have something to turn too when i have a question .

TEMA
11-20-2008, 01:19 AM
A very interesting subject...!
I learned to knit for the first time (this is my 2nd time) back when my youngest child was first born.
I made friends with a young lady down the street that had just had her second child. We became very good friends.
One day, in conversation, she found out that I didn't know how to knit so she said I must learn... She'd start me on something easy she said - like socks!
Good grief... so there I was using 4 dpn and knitting socks. I knit 6 pair for my father for Christmas that year... couldn't do it now, if I tried.
These days I'm sticking mainly to easy knitting and crochet... mostly making up my own easy patterns in knit and purl.
I just found out how to make a long stitch and a whole new world has opened up... LOL!
Other than that, I'm a button collector and I'm in hopes that my two loves will gel.
TEMA:knitting:
To Knit or not to Knit, that is the question.

thecatsmother
11-20-2008, 08:43 AM
I learned to knit in school...that was many moons ago...so it seems like I have been knitting my whole life.I taught myself to crochet about 25 years ago mostly from books....this was pre-internet days, and trial and error.

newknitter23
11-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Summer before last my sister in law picked up a knitting book at the library, Debbie Bliss I believe, and we spent about a month learning to knit from it. I don't know any knitters so I learn to troubleshoot just by practice and now that I found this site the videos and other knitters help. I have gone to my local yarn store and asked a question or two while shopping, they are usually nice enough to help you out. I still have millions of questions though, thank goodness for this site!:knitting:

crocee
11-20-2008, 11:42 PM
I learned to knit last week. I have wanted to learn for years but no one seemed to be able to teach me because they all knit right handed, I do everything left handed. Most things I can do with either hand including writing but knitting is not one of them. I did an Internet search for left handed knitting and found this site. So far I have learned to cast of, knit, purl, and cast off in the Continental method and I love it. I can FINALLY knit. I have a long way to go before I can be called proficient but its a start. I have crochet for years and it hurts my hands. Knitting does not hurt my hands in the least. It will be so nice to be able to make things.
Crocee

Queenofda702
11-21-2008, 04:06 AM
I learned about 2 weeks ago. Seriously. I saw this scarf at the store, and I was like "I bet I could do that." So, with a little research, I found this site and I've learned everything I know from the video's here! I already made my own scarf and it turned out amazing if I do say so myself!:woohoo:

rachejm
11-21-2008, 06:36 AM
About three years ago I suddenly decided out of the blue that I wanted to learn to knit. Both my nan and my mom knit but neither had the time to teach me so I sat with a book in my room for hours trying to figure it out before I started university. It never quite happened and then I got to University and found this amazing market stall with loads of needles and wool and I just had to have some. So I tried again but I didn't have the book with me cos I'd left it at home so I googled for how to knit and stumbled upon this site. I cast on, knit and purled my first stitches with the help of the videos here then went out and bought stitch n bitch which has been great for when I need to look up something and can't get on the internet.

Mostly I've learned by doing it. I tackled dropping a stitch when I came to it and then with practice you learn different ways to fix it and what works for you. I used to just rip it back and get in a mess putting stitches back on the needles but now I always have my trusty crochet hook handy. I also pick up a lot of tips by reading the forums and articles in different magazines.

McKnitty
11-21-2008, 11:01 AM
I think I'll buy a skein of cheap yarn to practice on.

Great idea! I forgot to mention that when I first started knitting I bought some bright, colorful, inexpensive yarn to practice on. I knitted for a couple of weeks with that yarn before I started my first project, which was a scarf.

With a practice piece I was not emotionally invested in a 'project', so it was very easy to frog and start over if I made a mistake. This is also how I practiced fixing mistakes (drop a stitch on purpose and then fix it!). I still use that same yarn today to practice a new technique before I work on my 'real' project.

1knittychick
11-22-2008, 12:17 PM
By watching Knitty Gritty with Vickie Howell, buying dvd's (love KH's) and asking for help from my knitty friends here. Also, collecting a variety of knitting books and magazines. I have also had the chance to visit a knitting shop and watching.

Tropicflower24
11-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Hmm... I cut a hole in a sock and unraveled it... And picked at the hole already in my sweater... and unraveled a good portion of it.... and analyzed socks..... andthen found a set of knitting needles that my aunt had cast on for my mom ages ago (before I was born. Mom never learned) and looked at that till I was postive I remembered it, took it off, took off with the needles, and I've been knitting ever since. That was 7, almost 8 years ago. :D

Cirrus
11-22-2008, 01:26 PM
I learned to knit at Sears Roebuck in the 1970's. We made sampler afghans of knitted squares crocheted together. I still have it. Then we made sweaters.

I've also been to LYS for help, took a class at Michaels when I was struggling with socks, got a DVD, checked out knittinghelp.com and also have gotten help on the GardenWeb Knitting Forum. So it has been bits and pieces for me.

Most error correction has come from knittinghelp.com I believe, and by figuring it out myself. I make lots of mistakes and never hesitate to tear out because I want to be happy with the finished product.

esiuol
11-23-2008, 06:08 PM
I learn to knit by watching a video from the library and then taking a class I have only been knitting a couple of years.
I love it!!! I have not learn the tricks yet I am still learning I just learn how to cable knit.

collegeknitter
11-23-2008, 07:07 PM
I just started college and moved 6 hours from home. I'm really shy and it's not easy for me to make friends since I'm not the partying type, so I got it in my head I'd learn to knit. I got some books and some magazines (Interweave Knits and Vogue Knitting) from the public library and I've finished a scarf. Now I'm starting an afghan and soome dishcloths from a borrowed book from a girl from church. This site has helped with learning so much with the videos and such.

ladybug_ja
11-26-2008, 08:29 PM
My mom taught me to knit (who is an expert knitter!) when I was probably around 7 or 8. I remember making sweaters for my Pound Puppies !

My mom still gets calls at 11pm and emails of scanned patterns with cries for help!

I also use this site a lot and just bought Vogue's Knitting book (a great resource). The video's are amazing and you won't find anything as good anywhere else.

Just keep practicing....you will make many mistakes. That's how you learn!

Good luck and keep knitting!

Julie

grmpookie
11-27-2008, 02:52 AM
I am a newcomer and already I love to go through the threads and replies. I have been knitting since high school days, I have been retired for almost two years now, so that is a long time. I was taught by an older lady who worked with my mother. She taught me and my 5 siblings to knit baby booties.

I have tried the conti method but I just can't work fast enough.
I teach two knitting classes once a week. The first thing I have them to do is cast on until the needle is full of stitches, take them off and keep casting on until they think they can go home and start casting on without any help. When they are comfortable with that then we move on to doing the garter stitch.

I have a gentleman knitter who is left handed. He is a minister and wants to knit a prayer shawl. He had to quit for a while. He was so tense when knitting the doctor said his shoulder was suffering from it. Would you believe I taught myself to knit left handed so I could work with him. You still think right hand but I knitted a petal dishcloth completely left hand.

Sorry for the long winded reply.
Next one won't be so long.
Helen, Central Indiana:knitting:

ChibiMethos
12-02-2008, 03:29 AM
I started knitting about 14 years ago. I found a project in the closet my mother had started 12 years before and never finished. I cannablized the yarn, got her to show me how to cast on, then taught myself the rest by looking at books.
:knitting:

reeny
12-02-2008, 10:45 AM
I watched my mother do it. She's more of a crocheter than a knitter, and she taught me how to crochet as a kid, but knitting looked like a lot of fun. She tried to teach me, but I couldn't follow along. She knows how to do things, but isn't very good at explaining. So I got myself a learn to knit in one day book. I was able to get a swatch done, but I hated the English method and found absolutely no joy in knitting--in fact it made me down right grumpy and sore. So I stuck to crochet. Then, I watched my mother again and I noticed that she held her yarn completely differently than the book I learned from. She told me she did it the wrong way.

That is when I started searching the library and online to find out how I can knit "the wrong way" and discovered the term "continental knitting" which led me right to this site. I learned to knit right along with the videos and now (only two years later) I even prefer knitting to crochet most of the time.

booskibabe
12-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Cool topic! I love to read people's stories. :)
About 3 years ago, when I was newly married and not working, I needed a hobby. My mom crochetes, so i decided to try knitting. I got the book, Knitting and Crocheting for Idiots from the library, some RH yarn and bamboo needles from Joann's, and gave it a whirl. What I didn't pick up from the book I learned from watching the videos here on KH over and over. I try to challenge myself in some way with every pattern I make, always learning something new from each project.
I'm now happily addicted to knitting. :)

OffJumpsJack
12-03-2008, 10:51 AM
My mom crochets, my grandma crocheted, almost all my aunts crochet, but one aunt knits. I was between 8 and 12 yo and I asked my mom to show me how to crochet. Did the scarf and hat thing with a double ended crochet hook with two colors. Then I did a pillow cover in a ripple afghan pattern to match the ripple afghan that my mom crocheted for me.

At some point I remembered that my aunt (and God mother) had knitted me some terrible, itchy sweaters (hey, at that age I didn't value the warmth of wool or the hand knit cable sweater) for each of the last two Christmases. So I asked my mom if she could teach me to knit. Her shoulders drooped, she put down her crochet with a heavy sigh and went searching for (probably) the only pair of needles she had and a suitable (expendable) skein of yarn. Upon her return, she confessed that she didn't knit well and never liked knitting, but she taught me how to knit and purl. I think it was continental style, because that was most similar to the crochet hand positions and functions.

I knitted a swatch in a *tight* K2, P2 rib pattern and then left it on the needles because I didn't know how to bind off and didn't want to ask (or maybe I had no idea for what the swatch could be used.)

I then did some thread crochet doilies that impressed my mom. She just handed me the pattern book and I picked out something and started up, pausing to ask a question now and then when I didn't understand the next (secret code) stitch instructions. They turned out nice and lacy and my mom kept them.

Some time later...

I'm in my early 40s and my wife tells me I need a hobby. I'm yelling (at the children) too much for small things, really. Hey, I remember I used to crochet!

Me: "Honey, do you want some new dish clothes to match your (newly repainted) kitchen? I think I saw some yarn in the closet!"

DW (slight hint of "wide eyed" shock in her voice): "What do you mean?"

Me: I was just thinking, you said I needed a hobby.
(later)

Me (during next trip to Wal-mart): Hey, these thread crochet balls would match your kitchen. (I buy two of each color).

(short time later, back at home)

Me: I finished the dish cloth, I don't think I got enough crochet thread to make the matching placemats and napkin rings (six settings!).

DW: (Takes dish cloth) Thank you. (She carefully folds the dish cloth and places it in a safe and prominent place on her dresser.)

Me: (thinking, "that's not the place for a dish cloth. She's treating it like a precious, lace handkerchief. sigh. ;) Maybe I can knit her something, but I don't quite remember how to knit. Finds KH and the demo videos.)

*Other FOs have been or are in my signature here.*

--Jack :guyknitting:

Clabbergirl
12-03-2008, 01:18 PM
I actually learned from my then 11-year-old daughter a couple of years ago! One of her friends from school had shown her how to knit and given her some yarn and needles. She had trouble remembering how, though, and was knitting every stitch twisted. I did the same, then realized something just didn't look right. We eventually looked up online how to knit correctly and ta-dah! Now I have baskets and baskets of yarn...

xanax
12-04-2008, 04:51 AM
I'm aging myself but just before 1950's I learned to knit w/ two pencils and a ball of yarn from an old base ball. I was very very young and my mother had given me a book about Santa Clause and a little lost doll and how the girl who found the doll, had learned to knit clothes for the doll. So, I did too. I have been knitting ever since. (I also learned to crochet from my mother). Knitting is the most relaxing and zen-like experience I have had.
As much as I knit, none of my 6 children have wanted to learn. But 2 of my dozen or so grandchildren have learned from me.
Now I knit, crochet, and spin my own wool into yarn. I am self taught with it all. This site has many videos and tutorials which are wonderful, especially to the beginner. And, all the hints and tips from other knitters is wonderful. I enjoy it all.
Xanax:happydance:

MsB
12-04-2008, 10:23 PM
I learned to knit right here on knittinghelp.com :). The videos are incredibly helpful. I have recommended this site to so many people.

I also retaught myself to crochet a few years ago. But never was able to get the hang of knitting until I found all of you :)

Thanks to everyone

sgtpam
12-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Hey Xanax, I go down to S.A. a lot (2 sisters, 2 nieces and 3 grandkids down there). Last trip I found a LYS that seemed like it would be fun to hang out in..when I stopped by there were 2 ladies in the back spinning. Anyway, if you're in Boerne, it's Rosewood Yarns on South Main. http://www.rosewoodyarns.com/. I just got their newsletter and it looks like they have lots of events/get-togethers.

stvteri88
12-05-2008, 02:29 AM
My grandma taught me to crochet 30 years ago this winter. We were snowed in for a few days and she taught me how to crochet butterfly magnets and towel toppers. I taught myself to knit while working at my LYS a few years ago. I started out making fun fur scarves and purchased every learn to knit book I could find. Leisure Arts has a very good "teach yourself to knit" book. While I love crocheting, I really enjoy the challenge of knitting and the feeling I get when I finish a project. My latest addiction with knitting is lacework and small projects using double point needles.

ArtLady1981
12-05-2008, 07:13 AM
In 1969 I worked as a cashier for the late shift at a restaurant in downtown Seattle. During the slow period, about an hour before closing, my boss taught me how to knit with two sharp pencils and some scrap yarn.

The rest is history! :knitting:

klymyshyn
12-05-2008, 11:42 AM
in the 5th grade with my BFFL and E on PENCILS!

Cynamar
12-05-2008, 04:20 PM
My mom taught me last NOvember. I had always wanted to learn. She was in Wal-Mart with me when I bought the I Taught Myself Knitting kit and she showed me when we got back to my house. If she's with me when I need to know something different (make 1, for instance) she will show me but most everything besides the bare basics I've learned from either Nena Gallati's DVDs or the videos here. I bought the DVD with all of the videos on this site first thing when I learned to knit. LOVE it!!! Thank you, Amy! You taught me short row heels just the night before last!