PDA

View Full Version : I think our dog is dying - he's gone : (

vaknitter
11-20-2008, 05:33 AM
Its about 4am and I am sitting up with one of our dogs. Over the summer the vet told us he thought there was a brain tumor that was giving us some funky issues. The old boy (13/14 yrs old) also has Cushings disease but rallied and has been running around like a puppy. Then Sunday night he seemed to have a seizure. The seizures are not epileptic, he just zones out and looks at you as though he's never seen you before. I haven't been able to get him to eat more than a few bites of hot dog (to take pain meds) since then. He is drinking water. I woke up to see if he needed to go outside (has not been stellar at holding bowel and bladder the last couple of days) and I think his back end is paralyzed and he doesn't help me help him try to get up. I put a towel under him in case of any accidents and am sitting her with him and a water bowl on one side and the puppy sleeping on the other. Can't get him to take the hot dog with the pain meds in it.... He has rallied within a couple of days the last few times this has happened so this time is freaking me out. My husband defends for his PhD tomorrow so I hate to wake him if there's nothing he can do either.

THanks for listening

DQ
11-20-2008, 06:37 AM
:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

zkimom
11-20-2008, 07:27 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you.

Please let us know how your dog makes out today.

Best,
Susan

vaknitter
11-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Broke down and woke my husband up around 5:30 b/c the old boy was getting really antsy and I could tell he needed to go outside. Thankfully he will do just about anything for the hubby so we were able to get him up and outside to pee. His back end is not paralyzed, just very wobbly. He came back in and tried to hide under a rocking chair. I've had enought pets to know that when they hide in dark places they are not long for this world. The hubby is laying with him right now and I need to go walk the puppy. I don't know how to even begin to ask him what he wants to do and I know the vets answer.

cftwo
11-20-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm so sorry vaknitter. I know how hard that is. It was at about the point where their dog couldn't gather the strength to get up to go out that my mom knew it was about time.

:hug: :grphug:

Ronda
11-20-2008, 09:38 AM
I don't really have words. Just wanted to offer a hug. :hug:

Crycket
11-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Dogs just know when it is time....

Our dog Sarah went in 2006...(she was less then one month away from her 15th b'day)...She was pretty good...I actually had myself convinced that she would live forever...but all within one week, it happened, she withdrew. She stopped eating (and this was the dog that jumped up and licked all the icing off a cake once!) I couldnt even get her to eat pork chop. She could barely stand on her hinds anymore...she would sink....and the sadest thing for me was when she jumped up into her favorite chair, she fell, and didn't bother to try and get back up.

It is really hard...and I am sorry you are going through it....Dogs really are your best friend! Just spend as much time as you possibly can with him!

*big hugs* *big tears*.....*more big hugs*

KnittingNat
11-20-2008, 09:47 AM
:hug: All i can offer is big hugs. I afraid all of who have pets need to face that dreadful moment sometime or another. Hang on there, i'm sure he had a very good life with you and if he goes - he goes to doggy heaven and will be watching you from there :hug:

dustinac
11-20-2008, 10:01 AM
:hug: I'm so sorry! We went through this last year with my Shermee. I was told that summer that it would get worse...it got to the point where he didn't seem to know us at all and would growl and try to bite us when we would reach out to pet him (not normal for him)...he would stay in that daze of looking right past you and seeing nothing...it's very hard to make a decision, I know...my thoughts are with you :hug:

saracidaltendencies
11-20-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm so sorry to hear :hug::hug::hug:

bailsmom
11-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Oh hon, I'm so so so sorry. :verysad: Such a dreadful place to be in your life. While it is one of the hardest decisions you will ever have to make, you do know in your heart when that time will be. I'm just so sorry. Let us know what you decide to do so we can be here for you. :hug:

iza
11-20-2008, 10:51 AM
:heart: I'm sending you big hugs. As pet owners we all know this time will come, but it's very hard every time. :hug:

Luvmyrottnboy
11-20-2008, 11:35 AM
I am so, so sorry. Anyone who has loved a pet knows the pain and we all feel for you.

If there is one thing I have learned over the years, it is that the one last gift we give our beloved pets is a peaceful end. That we honor the years of love and joy they gave us by allowing them a dignified end.

Your dog is lucky to have had you. Bless you.

auburnchick
11-20-2008, 11:37 AM
:hug:

I'm so sorry...will be praying for you...

Jan in CA
11-20-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm so sorry. :hug:

HollyP
11-20-2008, 12:33 PM
:hug:I am so sorry! I've been there before and it is heartbreaking. Take care. He is lucky to have such a caring Mom and Dad :hug:

jjminarcik
11-20-2008, 01:03 PM
:hug::hug::hug::hug:

mks22300
11-20-2008, 01:17 PM
:hug: We're getting to that point with our 16 year old dog too. It's just heart-breaking to see him stumble and try to get up, my thoughts are with you. :hug:

Sunshine's Mom
11-20-2008, 02:50 PM
I cry just thinking about having to go throught this one day. My heart is with you all. I'm so sorry. :hug: :heart:

busyknitmom
11-20-2008, 03:05 PM
So, so sorry. :hug: Such a hard thing.

Abbily
11-20-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm so sorry- I know how hard that is.

Simply_Renee
11-20-2008, 03:43 PM
:heart: :heart: :hug: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:grphug:

I'm thinking of your family today.

bambi
11-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Poor doggie! And poor you. Sorry to hear about it. :hug:

Bambi

ladyjessica
11-20-2008, 07:02 PM
:hug: I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'm dealing with some similar issues with my 14 year-old boy, so I understand how hard it is. I'm praying for your boy, and for you. Please let us know how he's doing.

:hug: :hug:

Plantgoddess+
11-20-2008, 07:11 PM
My deepest sympathies. It is never easy to make the decision, but know that your friend has had a wonderful life.

sabrinasmom
11-20-2008, 07:36 PM
:hug: Been there and it sure isn't easy.:hug:

Dangles
11-20-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. :hug:

vaknitter
11-20-2008, 09:46 PM
I had a very long conversation with the vet and he said that Spencer would tell us when it was time. I came home from work early (hubby is trying to tie up loose ends on his PhD defense) and it was clear that we need to take Spencer to the vet. The hubby came home, we loaded him into the back of the car and off we went to the vet.
I'm trying to be okay, but I'm not. Our younger dog is making me so sad b/c she is hanging out down near "his" room.

Thank you for all the hugs and prayers. I need them all.

Cynamar
11-20-2008, 09:52 PM
I'm so sorry about your baby. I hate it for you.

sgtpam
11-20-2008, 10:01 PM
I've been there, too and know that it's hard. I'm so sorry. :grphug:

I hope that your younger dog will bring you some comfort.

Becky Morgan
11-20-2008, 10:29 PM
:grphug: You gave him a good long life. It's just that good dogs never live long enough, and wouldn't if they made it to 100.

lelvsdgs
11-20-2008, 11:12 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I had a dog who had Cushings and it was kind the same thing. She rallied for awhile and then went down hill really fast. My thoughts are with you in this difficult time. He had a good life, was well loved and is no longer in pain. :muah: :hug: :verysad:

bailsmom
11-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Oh sweetie, I am so sorry. You made the right choice and he isn't suffering anymore. I know that doesn't make you feel any better right now, but it will in time. Huge :hug: to you and your husband. I wish I could give you a hug and cry with you. I sorry. :cry:

miccisue
11-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Oh honey, I'm so sorry. Being a dog person, I know what you're going through - I've been there far too many times. And yet, painful as it is, I wouldn't trade a minute of the times I had with any of my pets who've crossed the Rainbow Bridge. What wonderful creatures they are, and what joy they give us while they grace our lives!!!!!!!

Just remember that you gave him a wonderful life, and you had the love and wisdom to let him go when it was his time. They are so smart.....they give you "the look", and you know they are tired and not able to fight any more. Bless you for giving him the dignity he deserved.

Also know that many, many tears are being shed for you and your family. We know, we understand, and we weep with you.:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

mks22300
11-20-2008, 11:26 PM
:hug: I am so sorry :hug:

Gertie
11-21-2008, 12:24 AM
You have my deep sympathies as well. You gave him a good life & a humane, dignified end. (sigh) :grphug:

On a side note - how'd your DH's defense go?

MoniDew
11-21-2008, 01:02 AM
:heart: :heart: :hug: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I'm thinking of your family today.
Exactly! (I'm so sorry!)
________
Toyota sera history (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Sera)

evona
11-21-2008, 01:18 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your doggie. My thoughts are with you today :hug: :hug: :heart: :heart:

dustinac
11-21-2008, 01:19 AM
:hug: :heart: :hug:

Luvmyrottnboy
11-21-2008, 08:49 AM
I am so sorry.

I hope that soon you can take comfort in knowing you gave him a wonderful life.

My heart goes out to you and you are in my prayers today.

sue in canada
11-21-2008, 09:16 AM
:hug: I am so sorry.

khewes
11-21-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm so sorry.

I lost my best fur friend two years ago and my heart still hurts.

figaro
11-21-2008, 09:50 AM
I am so sorry to hear this, I am sending you hugs for your loss:grphug:.

Doublereeder2
11-21-2008, 10:34 AM
I am so sorry.... hugs and prayers for you.

cdjack
11-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Oh, bless your heart. You are in my thoughts. :hug:

zkimom
11-21-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

When I was first "setting out on my own" and in my own apartment, I got a little Toy Fox/Chi mix puppy to keep me company. She lived with me for 21 wonderful years. She watched me get married and have 2 kids. It's been 8 years but I still miss her.

After she passed I found a wonderful book that still makes me teary but helped so much. It's called Dog Heaven (http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Heaven-Cynthia-Rylant/dp/0590417010/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227278119&sr=1-1) by Cynthia Rylant. Take a look at it, maybe it will help you as much as it did me.

Thinking of you and sending you lots of hugs,
Susan

ladyjessica
11-21-2008, 11:08 AM
:hug: :hug: :hug:

Sunshine's Mom
11-21-2008, 12:01 PM
:heart: :hug: I'm so very sorry.

knitasha
11-21-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm echoing what everyone else has expressed so well. Your story make me remember the sad weeks before we I finally made the decision to say goodbye to my dear cat Isadora.

But I also wanted to wish your husband much success in his PhD defense. It's such an important moment in his life (and yours). May it bring some happiness to this sad time.

bambi
11-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Sorry to hear it. Such a hard choice to make! But you loved him and gave him a good home. There is still one bit of music that makes me tear up b/c it makes me remember my kitty who we put to sleep nearly three years ago.

:hug:

Bambi

Simply_Renee
11-21-2008, 02:16 PM
:heart: :hug: :heart:

He is so lucky to have had you- it's obvious that you loved him very, very much.

Please give your other dog a pat on the head from me.

auburnchick
11-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Awww...I am so sorry...

Much love to you and your family during this sad time.

stitchwitch
11-21-2008, 05:30 PM
It's never easy. I'm so sorry and I know that nothing I will say will help in your loss. Just know others are thinking of you. :hug:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-21-2008, 09:47 PM

LadyFirelyght
11-21-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. It's so hard to lose a pet, especially when you come to think of them as family. We put our cat (who I grew up with from the time I was 4) to sleep a few years ago and I still tear up every time I think about him.

vaknitter
11-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Thank you so much for all your kind words, hugs, prayers and stories. I cried reading them all. Still missing him horribly.
He was a very patient dog and had been part of the hubbies research in gait modeling. Spencer let him put all these markers on him and walk him on a treadmill while collecting data. So since the hubby defended his PhD last night (and passed so he is now Dr. Hubby) he put a picture of Spencer with all the markers on in his presentation and he got teary and I was trying my best not to cry and one of our friends sitting next to me starting crying and I had to give her my tissue.

Knit4Fun
11-22-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I love my pets like children and the only comfort I've ever found is that the life we give them and the love we share is worth the loss. I am praying for you. Congrats to Dr. Hubby...what a great accomplishment.

Gertie
11-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Wow!! Congratulations to your husband!!

jjminarcik
11-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Sending lots of :hug: :heart: :pray:!!! I can't even imagine what you must be going through.

Dangles
11-24-2008, 01:21 AM
Congrats to Dr. Hubby :hug:

Debkcs
11-24-2008, 04:50 AM
Congratulations to your husband,focusing on all of this couldn't have been easy. Losing a beloved pet is such a hard thing to go through; I'm actually awake right now because my 14 year old Maddiedog is leaving us soon. Reading all six pages of this thread has me in tears for you and for us. Several years ago we had to help our 22 year old cat,Chester, leave. He was also a member of the family, just like our dogs, and that trip to the vet was one of the hardest of our lives.

I do believe that 'all good dogs (and cats) go to Heaven', so there will be some very joyful reunions.

bjc1050
11-24-2008, 10:57 AM
So sorry for your loss. I know what a BIG hole it leaves in your family's life after nearly 14 years with a beloved pet. Just focus on all the wonderful memories you've shared with him.

lucky_alf2
11-24-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. Our pets are very special. Sending big hugs -- :hug: :hug: :hug: