PDA

View Full Version : The Elusive Gauge

rachael72knitter
11-22-2008, 07:08 PM
When I started to knit; I knitted trying differnet types of needles and different sts again and again. I started with a pattern once I thought I mastered the sts, and I did that gauge with the pattern-called-for yarn and size needles again and again until I got that damn gauge.

The altering of yarn and needles confused the heck out of me and I just thought, "darnit, I would just rather get this gauge right." That just seemed like what I was supposed to do. I thought if I didn't knit to gauge I was doing something wrong.

Now I alter yarns, but I just go down or up a needle size depending on if the yarn is thinner or thicker. I don't bother trying to count sts and do the math.

I have made several thgings since then and have always knitted the gauge.

I always got it and since then haven't done this if I keep with the same needle and weight/gauge of the yarn

I was reading all these posts about not getting the gauge. . .and it occurred to me that I am just weird.

Hmmmmm.

I guess I could have saved months if I knew the formula for counting sts when gauge isn't met. I mean I spent months on just that gauge when I first started knitting and for my first pattern.

Anyone else here make gauge, or do most modify?

suzeeq
11-22-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm another weird one maybe; I don't like knitting as tight a gauge as most patterns are. When I started knitting 40 years ago, I had no one else to check in with, but learned that if I knit a pattern with a different needle size it wasn't going to fit, so I learned to figure my sts/inch and decide if one of the other sizes would work. If not, I adjust the stitch number for what size I want it to be. I call it knitting by tape measure rather than knitting to gauge. And now, I don't use a pattern so much except to give me general ideas for shaping.

rachael72knitter
11-22-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm another weird one maybe; I don't like knitting as tight a gauge as most patterns are. When I started knitting 40 years ago, I had no one else to check in with, but learned that if I knit a pattern with a different needle size it wasn't going to fit, so I learned to figure my sts/inch and decide if one of the other sizes would work. If not, I adjust the stitch number for what size I want it to be. I call it knitting by tape measure rather than knitting to gauge. And now, I don't use a pattern so much except to give me general ideas for shaping.

Interesting. I just read so much when I started out about knitting that gauge and I guess I processed it to mean, the gauge should be met. I felt like if I couldn't get it I shouldn't continue.

40 years! No wonder you are such an expert. I just recently learned how to make a bobble. I can't wait till I pick up a pattern and don't have to learn something new due to knitting it.

Let's just say I don't plan to go near Fair-Isle anytime soon.

Knitting_Guy
11-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Gauges? We don't need no steenkin gauges!

suzeeq
11-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Right on, dude!

TEMA
11-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Most of the things I knit these days are quite easy. I don't usually worry about gauge. I'm not doing sweaters or anything like that but I have learned, for myself, how to make something bigger or wider than it appears to be going.
Easy enough in crochet, eh?
TEMA:knitting:

To Knit or not to Knit, that is the question.

teachermom
11-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Everyone is different... I wouldn't say weird. I have noticed lately that when I pick up yarn and needles - I've been looking at it and think I bet I'll get so many stitches to the inch - when I swatch, I've been correct. I hate the swatch part, but to me it is my own guarentee that what I'm knitting will turn out to be the size I want.

You have to do what works for you. Keep on knitting.

Knitting_Guy
11-23-2008, 10:27 AM
My swatches never, ever match up with whatever I am knitting so I don't even bother. I take a good guess at the gauge based on the yarn and the needle size and then start knitting. Once I've knit a decent sized bit of whatever I am making I'll then measure to see if it's close.

Plantgoddess+
11-23-2008, 12:17 PM
I know after 30 years of knitting that I need to go down at least 2 needle sizes to come close to gauge and then if I go down one size in the pattern I'll get something that fits pretty well. Socks are the only thing I knit to pattern gauge on recommended size needle.