PDA

View Full Version : Selling knit stuff

Andres
11-26-2008, 12:51 PM
I decided to start saving money, and came up with some questions.

- What are the most sold knit stuff?
- What's the best way to sell them? Should I sell them to a store, or... should I sell them directly?

Thanks in advance.

katknit
11-26-2008, 09:29 PM
I don't know about the market in Colombia, but here in the US, it's hard to make money knitting. People never want to pay enough to cover your time, and if you use quality yarn, they don't want to pay for that either. Also, it's hard to knit lots of items when you're doing everything yourself by hand. You might want to try consignment in stores, or craft shows/fairs. Good luck, Andres!

heatherg23
11-26-2008, 09:59 PM
www.etsy.com
They sell handmade items. I've had 3 customers in the last 5 wks. It's working well. I don't know if we can say what sells the most unless we're in the distribution business. I do arm warmers for now.

Tropicflower24
11-27-2008, 10:41 AM
I was just coming to post that Heather. Thanks!

Andres
11-27-2008, 04:28 PM
I don't know about the market in Colombia, but here in the US, it's hard to make money knitting. People never want to pay enough to cover your time, and if you use quality yarn, they don't want to pay for that either. Also, it's hard to knit lots of items when you're doing everything yourself by hand. You might want to try consignment in stores, or craft shows/fairs. Good luck, Andres!

I'm not sure, but I think knit items sell well. People specially like bags, hats and native american stuff.

Thanks!

www.etsy.com
They sell handmade items. I've had 3 customers in the last 5 wks. It's working well. I don't know if we can say what sells the most unless we're in the distribution business. I do arm warmers for now.

Do you know if I can sell on etsy.com from Colombia?

Thanks!

Andres
11-27-2008, 06:45 PM
I can sell from Colombia!...

...I just started an etsy account, by the way.

Tropicflower24
11-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Did you open a store? I'd love to have the link. :)

Jan in CA
11-29-2008, 11:42 AM
One more thing to be careful of.. if you are using patterns some of them stipulate that you are not to make a profit from them. Best idea is to make up your own patterns, but otherwise check the ones you're using and write the designer if necessary for clarification.

Andres
11-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Did you open a store? I'd love to have the link. :)

Not yet, but soon...

One more thing to be careful of.. if you are using patterns some of them stipulate that you are not to make a profit from them. Best idea is to make up your own patterns, but otherwise check the ones you're using and write the designer if necessary for clarification.

Don't worry. I'm going to use only my own patterns.

I'm about to finish a chullo (my own pattern), by the way. I'll let you all know when it's finished.

AAngels
12-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Etsy is an awesome place!!
Has anyone tried any of their yarns on the web page?

Thanks
Kathy