PDA

View Full Version : The adventure has started

crocee
11-28-2008, 05:39 PM
In my journey through the world of knitting, I have come to a crossroad. I am on the corner of basics and socks. I have the yarn, Wool Ease Chunky in charcoal, and quite a few sets of dpns, and several sizes of circs, so I do have the supplies. Now I just need a map. Does anyone have a link to a free online pattern(map) that a beginner could follow, and allow me to learn a few more techniques? So far I can knit and purl and make a rib. I would like to learn to increase and decrease and use my dpns. These will be a Christmas present for DH.
Andi

I am a member of Ravelry so patterns from there are OK

Jan in CA
11-28-2008, 05:46 PM
This is the tutorial many of us learned to knit socks with.
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm

Socks are an ambitious project for a newbie, but not impossible. Learning to use DPNs will probably be the most challenging, but you can do it.

Knitting_Guy
11-28-2008, 06:04 PM
I second Silver's Sock Class.

Not too sure how well a chunky yarn is going to do for socks though. Gonna be some mighty thick socks :mrgreen:

Mystery_Gyrl
11-28-2008, 06:06 PM
I am a bit confused by your question. If you want to learn to make socks, Silver's Sock Tutorial is very popular as Jan suggested. You might also want to visit these sights:

http://www.socknitters.com/sockpatterns/sockpatterns.htm
http://www.royea.net/sockdemo1.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NQMGCo_mXY&feature=related
http://hipknitism.com/classes/basic_ribbed_socks/ (I don't think this pattern would work well with chunky yarn; however, it does give a nice explanation of construction of a basic sock and how to plan to make a basic sock)
http://taras-knits.blogspot.com/2008/01/chunky-socks.html (this link is a pattern for basic socks using chunky yarn)
http://www.deborahsknitting.com/Knitting/ChunkyMensSocks.pdf (another chunky yarn sock pattern)

If you are at an intermediate position between basics and wanting to make socks and or use dpns or circulars this pattern might be useful.
http://www.heavenlysocksyarns.com/patterns/button-band-hat.doc (it is a Word document file).

HTH.
Katrina

crocee
11-28-2008, 06:11 PM
DH loves really thick socks. I have worsted weight but its in a baby blue color. I suppose it would work but I doubt he would ever actually wear them more than once.

Now as for a question. Will the chunky yarn make it really hard to keep the stitch count correct to keep a specific size?
Andi

Mystery_Gyrl
11-28-2008, 06:30 PM
I don't believe using chunky yarn will make it anymore difficult than usual to keep your socks within a certain size range. Since hubby knows you are making the socks you can test them out on him to make sure he likes the length/size.
Katrina

Marria
11-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Lionbrand actually has a chunky sock pattern on their website, using their thick and quick WoolEase. You have to make an account and log in to access their patterns, but it's here:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kwe-socks.html?noImages=

With the pattern, you shouldn't have trouble keeping the count correct, once you understand basic sock construction, and you don't cast on a lot of stitches, so it might actually be a good one to start with. One thing I can tell you from my experience is--get bamboo needles for your socks! I got so frustrated when I was starting to learn to knit with DPNs and my yarn kept sliding off the metal needles. Bamboo has a bit of friction so your yarn stays put.

Also, I got two sets of needles and did one portion of each sock at a time: Ribbing the cuff on one, ribbing he cuff on the other, knitting down to the heel on one, knitting down to the heel on the other, etc...this makes it easier to compare them as you're going and prevents mistakes.

One warning I can give, though, is that I made my mom a pair of socks with worsted weight Wool-ease and they wore out really quickly, but then she wore them a lot without shoes. I couldn't darn them because the heel of the sock that wore through had felted up so much. So you might want to think about making a slipper-sock and attaching those leather sole thingies to the bottom, or maybe getting something a bit more durable.

Good luck! If I can learn to knit a sock, you certainly can! ;)

crocee
11-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Hmmm,I don't have any bamboo DPNs

Hey wait a minute. I have bamboo skewers and a pencil sharpener.

I now have bamboo DPNs. And they look to be really close in size to the DPNs called for. We shall see how they work out.

You must learn to improvise on an adventurous journey.
Andi

Mystery_Gyrl
11-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Andi, you might want to be careful there. They could snap/break (I've had dpns break) and you also do not want them to long since they will be crossing at 3 or 4 intersections fairly quickly.
Katrina

crocee
11-28-2008, 07:29 PM
OK for this project I will just use the regular DPNs for safety's sake. The skewers are not flimsy at all but you are right, they could break. I will put stoppers on the ends if I need to to keep the work on. Thanks for the heads up on the breakage.
Andi

crocee
11-28-2008, 08:20 PM
I really do like the looks of these socks although I will not be making them at this time. I don't have a set of size 13 DPNs. In fact I looked online and could not find any one who sold them, including KP. Is this a typo?
Andi

crocee
11-28-2008, 09:10 PM
OK I got the circle joined and the first row of K2P2, it looks correct. Its hard to see since the yarn is bulky and dark but I think Its correct. Somehow I did manage to get the working yarn in through the middle of the circle. Will This cause a problem later and if so how do I fix it other than frogging it now?

Marria
11-28-2008, 09:19 PM
For size 13 DPNS, it can be hard to find double points that large, but try looking here (http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=size+13+double+pointed+knitting+needles&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title).

As far as getting the working yarn through the middle of the circle, I am not sure what you mean...Is it wrapped around you work somehow? You might have twisted a stitch, but I doubt it. Can you give a few more details?

crocee
11-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Well as I got to the end it started coming un-knitted. I had been hearing the frog in the background and it was moving closer. The frog got so close and it actually overtook my hands. It just started pulling my work out. The knit fairy said I should go and find the video for joining in the round and watch it again. Obviously I missed something.
Andi

Marria
11-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Yes when the frog gets that close, what can you do?

I am assuming you put a marker at the beginning of the round--if not I would definitely do that! Good luck!

suzeeq
11-28-2008, 09:49 PM
I would think small skewers or regular needles would be too tiny for knitting with chunky yarn. You might try regular yarn first just to try out the patterns or the tutorial and see how that works for you, then give it a go with the thicker yarn.

crocee
11-28-2008, 10:48 PM
The skewers are actually pretty large, about size 8 equivalent.

I have these rings that I think are some sort or markers but if placed within a stitch they would have to be cut to be removed. Are these the markers I am supposed to be using?

I watched the video again and the only thing I saw I didn't do was knit in the tail. Off it try it again.
Andi

suzeeq
11-28-2008, 10:55 PM
You put the markers on your needle and slip them from one to another when you come to them.

crocee
11-28-2008, 11:09 PM
You put the markers on your needle and slip them from one to another when you come to them.

OH OK. See I told you this was an adventure in the journey of knittig. You learn new things all along the way.
Andi

suzeeq
11-28-2008, 11:19 PM
As long as you see it as an adventure and not a stumbling block, you'll learn a lot!

crocee
11-29-2008, 12:37 AM
As long as you see it as an adventure and not a stumbling block, you'll learn a lot!

I just kick those stumbling blocks out of the way.

The re-do is coming along nicely. I Can see the ribs and flats. I would scan it for you to see but I can't get it into the scanner where it shows up right and I have not mastered close-up with the camera. I guess you will just have to wait to see the cuff/leg. I am sure I will need help when I get to the heel.
Andi

suzeeq
11-29-2008, 01:03 AM
Well hopefully someone else will be along to help you out, I've never done socks, so can't say much about the heel.

crocee
11-29-2008, 01:20 AM
You should try it. Its a lot of fun.

Jan in CA
11-29-2008, 01:29 AM
Oops..didn't realize you are using chunky! Silver's tutorial only goes up to worsted weight. :think:

crocee
11-29-2008, 01:38 AM
Oops..didn't realize you are using chunky! Silver's tutorial only goes up to worsted weight. :think:

That's OK, everything is working out just fine. Its just going a little slower as the yarn is a bit bulky. It was easier learning this part, than it was learning the knit stitch. You 2 (and the others) have been such good and patient teachers.
Andi

suzeeq
11-29-2008, 02:17 AM
Not that much interested in socks; I don't like using such tiny needles. I may get around to doing a pair in worsted to wear with my slippers at home when it really gets cold.

RuthieinMaryland
11-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Hi, Andi! :waving:

Very well done on taking the road to sock-ville! Its' a WONDERFUL adventure with WONDERFUL products at the end of the rainbow!

When you can, treat yourself to a copy of Ann Budd's book, "Getting Started Knitting Socks". It's the one that really got me over the terrors and through the woods on sock knitting! Clear instructions, great photos and lots of informative charts like how much yarn you'll actually need for various sizes based on how many stitches to the inch you're knitting. That little gem has been quite a help for me in making sure I've got enough (but not too much) yarn.

As far as the dpn's - that's definitely worth learning. It might feel all awkward and fiddly at first, but you'll soon learn the right "feel" for you in holding and maneuvering them.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! We're rooting for you! This tired old world just NEEDS more hand-knit socks, they're so huggy and warm!

Happy knitting,
Ruthie :knitting:

crocee
11-30-2008, 03:50 PM
OK! After many partial frogs and several curse words, I have an 8" tube and am ready ro start making the heel. I found out what a yarn over was, found out what a twisted stitch was, and found out that you can not just keep going as if it didn't happen. You must take the stitches out until you fix these little mishaps. Also if you make a kint or purl stitch where it doesn't belong, it looks really funny and must be taken out to fix. So far my long, little tube is looking good.

I am still having fun and can't wait until I get to see the finished sock.
Andi

Karina
11-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Crocee just wanted to say that I just love your enthusiasm. Can't wait to see your sock.

crocee
11-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Thank you Karina. I am a very determined person, and I am determined to get this right.

My next step is confusing me and have posted for help.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86153
Andi

crocee
11-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Well thanks to Indygirl I got this going again. Why must I always try to do things backwards. OK I will post more when I get to another "stumbling block" that needs to be kicked out of the way.

Note to other attempting this very ambitious project before other think they are ready. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!. I have been having so much fun seeing my project materializing before my eyes.

crocee
12-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Well I got the heel made and got it turned. It looks just like the picture and I have the right amount of stitches on the needle. The next step is to start making the gusset. So far I think I like making socks. Although if I was to use this yarn again(other than making this socks mate) I would use a larger needle. A size 6 DPN set is a bit small when using chunky yarn. It can be done but it isa little on the tight side. I used a size 6 because it was the largest I had and the LYS that sells DPNs is 40 miles away.

Thanks for reading about my adventure thus far.
Andi

Sunshine's Mom
12-01-2008, 04:17 PM
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kwetq-scrunchySocks.html?noImages=

These are fun and fast slipper socks to make with the yarn you have. And you use dpns.

crocee
12-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Well I got the first sock finished. I grafted the toe the way shown on the silver sock site but do not like the way it looks. It could be due to this chunky yarn though. I will post a picture when I get the other one done.

The finished sock looks good, fits DH's weird foot and hes happy with it, that's all that matters. I am feeling pretty pleased since this is my first sock. Actually its my first actual project other than the beginning swatches I knitted while learning. I can't wait to get a few more done.
Andi

newknitter23
12-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Hmmm,I don't have any bamboo DPNs

Hey wait a minute. I have bamboo skewers and a pencil sharpener.

I now have bamboo DPNs. And they look to be really close in size to the DPNs called for. We shall see how they work out.

You must learn to improvise on an adventurous journey.
Andi

I want to learn to make socks sooo bad, but waiting for Christmas and hoping I get the needles sizes I need. I just read your post and realized, I too have bamboo skewers and a pencil sharpener. Awesome, thanks for the idea.:happydance:

crocee
12-06-2008, 03:55 AM
I would only use the skewers if they were the larger size. The small ones will not work for the reasons I was given, they will break. There is a lot of pressure placed on them in certain areas while knitting. They also need to be cut down as they are too long. Use skewers that are about the same size and length, as a size 8 dpn.

I hope to finish my second sock tomorrow, if not it won't be until Wednesday as I have to work the next 4 nights.

I showed the first sock to my mother and she said she was prepared to say it looked for a first try even if it was wonky. It wasn't wonky and looked like a real sock so she said it look great. Much better than she had thought it would look. I have decided I like making socks much better than afghans and wash cloths.
Andi

suzeeq
12-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Chopsticks work too, their sizes can be anything from an 6 to a 9, though most seem to be about an 8.

figaro
12-06-2008, 10:44 AM
I am sure this is late in the game for you but this pattern I am knitting, I hold 2 skeins of worsted weight yarn to make the socks. I think this would qualify as bulky weight yarn... http://www.beartoes.com/patterns/tropicalpunch.html

crocee
12-11-2008, 11:19 AM
I have finished the pair of socks I was working on. I will take a picture later this afternoon to post.

The socks were great to make and I think they turned out great. The sock class of Silvers is so easy to understand and follow. Anyone who hasn't made socks or is feeling intimidated by the complexity will find it easy. The only problem I had was trying to figure out how to slip the stitches. The easiest thing there is to do and I had trouble. This shows how I tend to over complicate things.
Andi